962c a road car aaahhh! Angry

Australia
Australia
Why did they put a road 962 in??? I'm angry. It doesn't drive as fast as the other group C cars... Even bop doesn't match real life race bhp raaahhh

Why did they put a road 962 in??? I'm angry. It doesn't drive as fast as the other group C cars... Even bop doesn't match real life race bhp raaahhh

Exactly how do you know its a Road 962? You appear to be making assumptions solely because you are upset that it doesn't go as fast as you want it.

As pointed out by someone else, the only road going 962s are by Dauer and none of them were a thing in 1988.

In what world is a 1988 Porsche 962 a road car? If I recall, road going Dauer 962s weren't around until 1993. :rolleyes:
What do you say to 630 bhp as default... Clearly not race spec is it? The guy who's car was scanned was an ex race car that had its power nerfed according to my mate who looked it up. It clearly doesn't accelerate like a race 962 as stock... Race spec being nearly 800bhp.

It crawls on straights compared to even the 787b which itself isn't a "fast" group C car, relatively speaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure how they ran parity back in the day but you kind of have to expect that maybe the 962 wont be the fastest Group C in the game.

Off the top of my head...

the Jaguar is a 6.0 n/a V12

the Nissan is a 3.5 v8 twin turbo

the Sauber is a 5.0 v8 twin turbo

the new 962 is a 3.0 flat six twin turbo

the 787b is an n/a quad rotor of about 2.6 litres

So in that regard I dont think the 962 would be the fastest?

I'm not sure how they ran parity back in the day but you kind of have to expect that maybe the 962 wont be the fastest Group C in the game.

I wouldn't say the fastest... But it seemed considerably slower than the 787b to me on the Monza home straight... Especially in regards to acceleration. I got to the 290s kph in the 962. 320 odd in the Mazda. The 962 as stock power seemed to crawl through the 200s kph relative to the other group Cs

In the real world the Jaguar and Mercedes-Benz owned the 962 completely by then. It was an old car by 1988.

I also think people dont take into account the relative ages of the cars.

eg. I always thought the McLaren MP4/4 was unbeatable.

Yeah it was. In 1988.

By the time 1990 rolled around the Ferrari 641 would wipe the floor with it.

Its the same with WEC. New rules and tech improvements means that the cars we love arent competitive against cars that are just a tad newer.

It will make an epic one make race. I'd already downloaded three very well done liveries this morning, with two others for Leighton House and jagermeister that I didn't have time to check for authenticity yet. There are many many more to be done. The 962 will set a new record for the most real world liveries.

The funny thing is that we dont have any league Group C races nor is there a way to run custom races with just the Group C cars so while I get that cars like the 787b dont cut the mustard its a bit of of moot point the way this game is set up.

I love the 787 but lets be honest, the car was handed the victory and its just not a good race car even in its prime let alone against cars that are newer.

I wouldn't say the fastest... But it seemed considerably slower than the 787b to me on the Monza home straight... Especially in regards to acceleration. I got to the 290s kph in the 962. 320 odd in the Mazda. The 962 as stock power seemed to crawl through the 200s kph relative to the other group Cs

Upgrade the power to 940 bhp! It's a blast. :)

It's the fastest Gr. 1 on a time trial around SSRX and got up to 375 kmh.
It was only the 4th fastest Gr.1 on a time trial around Dragon Trail.

But great to drive, brakes well, corners well, feels planted.

Handling wise and accelaration wise it is pretty good only when it comes to the straights it gets murdered by everybody.

Wasnt the Porsche 962 fast on the straights?

Sounds promising if it's slow. I'll stick the sport softs on plus change the downforce to minimum and see how the car fares around Le Mans.

I think a 3:45 would be about right compared to the real thing.

What do you say to 630 bhp as default... Clearly not race spec is it? The guy who's car was scanned was an ex race car that had its power nerfed according to my mate who looked it up. It clearly doesn't accelerate like a race 962 as stock... Race spec being nearly 800bhp.

It crawls on straights compared to even the 787b which itself isn't a "fast" group C car, relatively speaking.
Horsepower doesn't equal road car, also keep in mind that the 787B and 962 are from different eras of Group C, and that the 962 in GTS is a short tail so it has more drag than the 787B.

And running with restrictors. Still, 630hp doesn't seem wrong.
I've just checked a number of both recent and contemporary reference books and the race trim 956's were running at 620 and the 962's at 650, so 630 is certainly in the ballpark for race trim.

Qualifying would be a different matter, but for race trim is what I would expect.

Edited to add:

And 680 in IMSA spec:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/Porsche962.html

You could be right! I just flicked on PC 2. They have a short and long tail 962. Long tail top speed 355 of kph. Short was 325 odd.

Was the short tail a high downforce car in general compared to long tail?
Yes. Long tails for the Le Mans, Daytona and maybe Fuji straights and that was it. Everywhere else the short tail high downforce instead. Long tails are about slicking off the car as much as possible so it can go down the mulsanne straight without the anchor of downforce holding it back.

Hey guys if you go to YouTube... Go to a guy called Luke Huxhams channel. Type in 962 street car and the video might come up. It's about a former racing 962c converted to road use in Japan. It's exactly 630bhp and my mate though pd might have scanned that particular car... Rothmans livery on it and all. Could be wrong mind you... Just interesting find

Hey guys if you go to YouTube... Go to a guy called Luke Huxhams channel. Type in 962 street car and the video might come up. It's about a former racing 962c converted to road use in Japan. It's exactly 630bhp and my mate though pd might have scanned that particular car... Rothmans livery on it and all. Could be wrong mind you... Just interesting find
That 962 in the video and the one in GTS are completely different, with the 962 in the video being a long tail, and the 962 in GTS being a short tail. Also, some decals are tobacco related or on different parts of the car.

EDIT: The 962 in the video also uses the 2.65L single turbo flat 6 from the 956.

962 in game is 610bhp sorry.

That 962 in the video and the one in GTS are completely different, with the 962 in the video being a long tail, and the 962 in GTS being a short tail. Also, some decals are tobacco related or on different parts of the car.
I see... I only saw it briefly after my mate told me about it. Obviously different car!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ehm, am I missing something or are people completely unaware that there is something called BoP that's buffed up the 962?

Right now with 130% it's a bit shy of 800bhp, which isn't too bad next to the other Group Cs (in fact it has more than the Mazda 787B).

Oh and newsflash, it's the lightest as well with only 850kg. :sly:

Last edited:
Aarrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... wait, what are we raging about?
I thought you were gonna do some Kamehameha wave xD

Back