A Direct Drive Wheel for UNDER $400...

• Thread starter Leadfoot53
  • 173 comments
No doubt the DD1 looks like the most attractive option. But for me an OSW would be a lot cheaper given that I don't have any Fanatec gear from before. I still haven't ruled out the Feel VR either. Apparently you get some really nice pedals with that.

Oh the agony of choice...
or
Hooray, we have lots of choices!

I have read that the new OSWs are almost plug and play now, plus lots of people own them so you would be able to get settings for most games that way you wouldn’t have to worry about messing with the settings unless you want.

There is the agony of choosing the best DD out of all the choices we have now, but that’s part of the fun

Another feature that I like about the @Fanatec... DD wheels is the fact that major race sim developer are going to use DD1 & 2 when developpîng their sim. And that the electronics are build in the motor. And the unlimited rotations. No 900° or 1080° lock to lock limitations. Not that there is a car that uses unlimited rotation but it is still very handy.

Regarding the unlimited rotation: I assume you can still apply a lock in software? That's what's called "soft lock", correct?
Probably but I guess that it will be part of the sim itself.

The steering ratio of a race car is different than of a road car. In a road car you have to turn the steering wheel multiple times to go from lock to lock. In a race car it is much less. This is hopefully build in the race sim's software, so you won't have to adjust anything in the wheel's software. At least, this is how it should be.

I haven't played AC in a long time but I think it is already in AC.

Yes, it is called soft lock - part of the steering wheel's software or part of the sim's software.

I'm getting interested in the FeelVR. But every news on youtube is at least 5 months old.

Regarding the unlimited rotation: I assume you can still apply a lock in software? That's what's called "soft lock", correct?

It shouldn't be any different than any other wheel any manufacturer makes. In the wheel properties, you'd be able to set it as low as you want, or as high as you want.

Once you are running a sim, that sim would set soft locks, the same as it does for any other wheel. Of course that depends on the title you are playing. Some titles takes a universal DOR and apply it to everything, others are vehicle specific.

It seems like a dead in the water product.

Unfortunately.

Actually they plan on adding it in about one year, but i think it'll need a dedicated ps4/xbone rim as for fanatec wheels
The PS4 compatibility is in the wheelbase not in the rim/steering wheel. That's why I do not see how they will add compatibility with PS4 for people who have already bought the wheel.

The FeelVR is getting more and more interested even tough it looks ridiculous and toyish. Not to mention the pedals. They seem to be of a very good quality.

I’m worried since they started a second crowd funding push. They more than covered the goal on the first run and yet need more capital. That scares me that they are in way over their head. And seeing cost rise from the initial promise is scary, though much more realistic with what the market has been paying. I’m hoping for the best here but as time goes I feel more comfortable getting a lower powered OSW than hoping FeelVR gets from prototype to selling by the truck load right all in one step. They’ve promised way too much for an initial offering to have faith they can meet their promises. If it were simple to get a quality wheel base and wheel for that money, it would have been done by a number of the servo motor sellers.

I’m worried since they started a second crowd funding push. They more than covered the goal on the first run and yet need more capital. That scares me that they are in way over their head. And seeing cost rise from the initial promise is scary, though much more realistic with what the market has been paying. I’m hoping for the best here but as time goes I feel more comfortable getting a lower powered OSW than hoping FeelVR gets from prototype to selling by the truck load right all in one step. They’ve promised way too much for an initial offering to have faith they can meet their promises. If it were simple to get a quality wheel base and wheel for that money, it would have been done by a number of the servo motor sellers.

What worries me is the scarce details on the actual motor they are trying to use.

What worries me is the scarce details on the actual motor they are trying to use.
Where are shown this details? I`ve never saw deatils or pictures of the motor that will be used inside. From the design of the wheel just presume that it is "pancake" motor type.

scarce= lack of

They only show the torque
Before having in hands final working unit - everything will be only speculation... even if they give alot of needed info and sounds possitive - what is the warranty that the plan is made successfully? They postponed release date - I think nobody will have Feel VR wheel in November.

I'm starting to have this feeling that I'm going to have to stick with my G27 for a while longer. :ouch:

Why? There are more options out there then ever before?
Nothing good enough for you to leave G27?;) LoL
Reading all the comments makes me doubt.

1. DD podium is expensive and I probably won't be able to win a DD podium in the price range I have in mind.
  2. The latest stuff that is being said in this thread about the FeelVR starts to make me wonder if this wheel is to be trusted or even see the light of day, one day.
  3. Too expensive to import an AccuForce
  4. Bodnar is waaaaay too expensive and according youtube reviews not even better than cheaper alternatives
  5. I was never interested in the OSW. Maybe I have to look more into these DD wheels.

1. DD podium is expensive and I probably won't be able to win a DD podium in the price range I have in mind.
  2. The latest stuff that is being said in this thread about the FeelVR starts to make me wonder if this wheel is to be trusted or even see the light of day, one day.
  4. Bodnar is waaaaay too expensive and according youtube reviews not even better than cheaper alternatives
  5. I was never interested in the OSW. Maybe I have to look more into these DD wheels.
All those are valid points and no need to hurry to DD wheels. Just betweeen G27 and Accu or DD1 you have plenty of very good belt driven wheels, which are day and night better compared to G27... No need to stay with G27 to the moment of DD wheel happens to you!:) Ofcourse you can stay with G27 lifetime, but we speak that you look for good new wheel.

What is your pricerange? By the time FeelVR have a working retail version I am sure you have had the chance to save for the Fanatec DD. Did you contribute to the kickstarter campaign?

Honestly at this point I’d wait and see how the FeelVR turned out as well as how the $500 7nm OSW DD turns out. Both of those are as close as your price point allows but are too new to really get a good feel. If they perform as the look, they will both be great budget options. If not, then it’s good you waited and saved.

Back