A-spec, Expert Class Non-Racing Car Challenge: Suzuka Circuit

• Thread starter JogoAsobi
  • 184 comments
Nice bit of variety.
I ran a VW W12 with tweaked brakes - 2/3 - which made for a very nervous car Rear axel kept locking up so the car want to swap ends - I was almost emulating some of the AI as they made mistakes and slight errors over the lap -

Penalties - I thought I was in the wrong race, as I'd done 5 or so runs here not a sign of a Pen... then I had a "Maldonado moment" behind a Corvette out of the 130R - I went for the pass up the inside - only to find a McMerc SLR defending ahead of the Corvette - boxing me in - but I was already committed to my line and didn't have any more brakes left as the McMerc crawled into the Casio Triangle - Whammo a 5 or 3 second Penalty. (In truth I'd have been out on the spot with a damaged front radiator - so 5 seconds at pit lane speed limit seemed a bit of a let off.)

Enjoyed having to get the most from my car - not so sure about the AI - had a ZZII lean me off the track at the 200R (Big full fat right before the Spoon) - I left the track and ran head first into a tyre barrier - Ouch!

Actually knowing that the AI may have some "passing issues" about them does add that element of peril when you close them down. Will they give you room, are they going to block, will they make the next corner if you put them under pressure? Can you afford to hold station or is your race engineer screaming over the pit radio "Sebastian is slower than you - pass him now!"

Dodgy AI drivers - The ZZII, either MercLaren SLR - They weaved about the most on me.

There're many problems in the penalty setting in this event. (And I remember it's similar back in GT5 or even earilier.)

When I hit the car right in front of me -- bumper to bumper -- it's safe if it's under a certain relative speed. This happens frequently in the s-bends (where they are slow). So far so good.

While in the situation of side-to-side combat at the entrance of a corner, or around the apex etc., it becomes weird that the 'attacker' is often hard to define. And the tolerance is also unclear. At such side-to-side (wheel-to-wheel) situations, sometimes it's safe to push quite hard, but sometimes I got penalty with a touch I thought no big deal - both cars are fine and still running in their lines. And so many times I got penalty in a collision with my steering wheel in a fixed position - obviously I was the victim.

When I tried pushing AI when I need that line, whether it's OK or not is often determined by pure luck. TBH I have had much luck in that. OTOH I also got quite a few vessel-busting moments. The problem is, I can't predict or find the connections between my behaviors and the results. Another problem is the new AIs are not so much predictable, either. (or I'd need more time and observations)

Similar things are in the penalty of cutting corners. The entrance of final chicane is untouchable, while all others seem OK. This is unreasonale and impractical because it's not much to gain by cutting that corner.

These are really annoying when the mood is not right, because it's unclear and unfair.

The only possible bright side, I think, is this can be a training, in which we have to gain a larger margin to win. It's like fighting bare hand with a guy with a knife on his hand, and the goal is to keep both parties unharmed and win.

Just got back to gran turismo. been out for 1 whole year. First seasonal I tried on GT6. won suzuka with the black R8 5.2 on 3rd attempt.. having a lot of fun with these new AIs.. ones that makes you say "wt* are they doing?" haha..

Last edited:
Hmmmm. just tried with a KTM 2012. Lost by a minute and 6 seconds.,.. not gonna be possible right? what is the most popular car? It's kinda fun trying new ones out, got a few oddities in the garage.... any fun suggestions, that also capable of being Competitive? thanks!

I gave it a go with the McLaren F1...
This car does the job (although I don't like it at all).

That's the thing for people who thinks it's too easy- make it harder for yourself. Take your power limiter to 90% if it's still too easy take it down even more. Try a car you haven't driven before- that type of thing. Yes the AI is well brainless, but try to have fun with it. Enjoy the easy credits- it's better than the grind on the Red Bull events or any of the other grinders we've been using.
Comfort Soft tyres is where it's at. :)

I always race as clean as possible and I wouldn't mind penalties if I was the one to blame), but this system where you get penalized when AI is the offender... No thanks :boggled:

I really should have specified that I like the concept of penalties for dirty racing offline.

Gave this one a try just now, how annoying. I know its meant to be "expert" but please, why the tyres set for Sports, why now racing. Its meant to be a rcae, cannt push as i like to or get good feel on these tyres. Apart from that, good to have A-Spec races back.

Please, give us Racing tyres for races.

I did it with the nsx prototype road car, took the lead on the start of lap 4, I'm not the best by far so just keep practising.
I also made sure the mclaren f1 was not the rabbit.

I got the display frozen with the sound locked at that moment for quite a few times lately in this event. Then, it came back to normal after an uncertain and unpredictable period, mostly less than a minute. Any one has enountered the same issue?

With BMW M5, I got 2nd in the first attempt, lost by an unhappy 'accident'. So I thought I could do it in the next try. But no:( That's 4 or 5 times later. Argh~~

Great car with excellent balance, so it can be pushed very hard and it's very compliant under different lines and braking points etc. Very large operation window around limit. However it's not as fast in the straight line. So, overal it's kind of struggling in this group. My best lap time is 2:03, and mostly 2:04~2:05. The final victory is a very close one.

MB AMG VGT, another well-balanced and well-behaved car. And it's faster in the straight, so easier to win. I got it in the first run.

I used the Ford GT40 Mark 1 '66....was 2nd at lap 4 chasing the leader, but the Enzo braked too late into the Hairpin and went into the sand trap...robbing me of a good last lap chase.

Enjoy the ride.

A-spec, Expert Class Non-Racing Car Challenge: Suzuka Circuit

View attachment 169633

Period of Availability:
06/12/2014 - 06/26/2014, 3:00 GMT
(Click here to convert to your local time).

Single Race:
Duration, 5 Laps.
PP: 600 , Tires: SS or less.
Nitrous cannot be installed.
Eligible Cars, Normal Car.

Typical Opponents:
Lamborghini Aventador LP 700-4 '11
TVR Cerbera Speed 12 '00
Chevrolet ZR1 (C6) '09

Prizes:
Bronze: Cr.65,000
Silver: Cr.78,000
Gold Cr.130,000

SRF is optional.

Course Conditions:
Time, 10:30.
Precipitation, 0%.
Track: Suzuka Circuit

TUNES:

Honda NSX-R Prototype LM Road Car - @shaunm80 - Exeter GT Tuning

Seasonal tunes directory here maintained by @XS.

Please post links for applicable tunes so I can update OP.

OP may not be updated daily between 7:00 GMT, and 19:00GMT.
Reason: Sleep and other life-related tasks in my time zone. :)

-----------------------------------------

My Gold Medal Car List (So Far)

My favorite was driving the Volkswagen W12 Nardo '01
My second was driving the Zonda C12S 7.3 '02
Third place and fourth place were a tie between the Audi R8 5.2 FSI Quattro Chrome Line and the Mclaren MP4-12C
5th place was the Lamborghini Murcielago LP 670-4 Super Veloce '09
6th place was the Aston Martin One-77 '11
7th place was probably the most difficult and the most rewarding for me personally driving the Saleen S7 '02 (*Don't Use This Car If You're Looking For An Easy Win*)
8th place was the Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4 '08
9th place was the Tommykaira ZZII '00

I hope this helps others, good luck and have fun! I'll probably race a few more cars around this track and afterwards add them to this list, cheers!

Last edited:
Gave this one a try just now, how annoying. I know its meant to be "expert" but please, why the tyres set for Sports, why now racing. Its meant to be a rcae, cannt push as i like to or get good feel on these tyres. Apart from that, good to have A-Spec races back.

Please, give us Racing tyres for races.

But the cars are non race cars so them type of tyres are not right for the cars. Sure you can put racing tyres on many street cars but its overkill most of the time.

@LS Chiou and @GTP_CargoRatt
I came on the forum at the start of GT5, and Chiou you should know that Cargo has grown in his restraint for ranting posts, but he does have the best interest of the GT and its improvement at heart. He has offered a great deal of help to many members of the forum and GT racers. He is also pretty close to an Alien when it comes to his skill and times.

*Cargo, Chiou has made a great point about how some posts, rants, brags, and general BS is just annoying. And sometimes I think that casual visitors to the forum may be discouraged from checking out the real benefits that are available here when they check out information about a Seasonal and see so much BS mixed in with the genuinely valuable help that is available.

IMO the Tunes Section of the forum is the very best, and again Chiou, Cargo has offered some extremely helpful tunes and guides for difficult TT and GTA.
MY 2¢

But the cars are non race cars so them type of tyres are not right for the cars. Sure you can put racing tyres on many street cars but its overkill most of the time.

True, but its racing, on a race track. Whole point of racing tyres, hards etc, is to use them in a race on a race track. If i wanted to use comfort tryes, i would want to have nice drive around country side, or sports tyres to have a cruise upp and down a sea front.

Hi Racin-Rev,

As I've mentioned in my post, what I said is not against Cargo himself. It's a reply to the post, and speaking in general, not aiming at any certain member. I tried to make my points clearer, following my previous post which was (maybe somewhat) too emotional.

I don't dismiss the positive side of the forum and helpful members. I'm fully aware and thankful to all those. I'd feel sorry if my posts are percieved in the way against my intention.

Peace.

True, but its racing, on a race track. Whole point of racing tyres, hards etc, is to use them in a race on a race track. ...

Hi, I think we can step back and see this event in a larger view, or in a more relaxing way.

On race tracks or not, the fundamental of any competitions is fairness. So, if all cars in the event are using the same range of tire, I think it's OK. See it this way, if the limit is set to racing tires, then all of the AIs will get the same advantage, too. That means no advantage for anyone anymore.

In this regard, we have no choice but adjusting the driving style to fit the limit. There's always limit, no matter it's racing soft tire, or in that insane X fan car.

In addition, is this a race? I doubt it. It's not fair as I can see. I think it's more like the 'mission events' in previous GTs.

Wiohoo! Finally made it with an untuned car! The Zonda C12S 7.3 did the job.
Tried the Enzo first, and could possibly have done it with that too, but I decided to try the Zonda for good measure. It worked.
Seems that the AI gets stressed if you are agressive on them, and makes more than a few mistakes. The lead car was the TVR Cerbera Speed 12, and he got really pissed when I passed him into Spoon corner, and set off in a furious pace. That had him crash out at the chicane :-D, so I could pass him again.

The entire session was riddled with off corse excursions. A Corvette went off at Degner 1, a Viper, an SLR and a Huayra overshot the hairpin, and the ZZII went off at Spoon.
So I'm not entirely sure I won on pace...:-)

Seems that the AI gets stressed if you are agressive on them, and makes more than a few mistakes. The lead car was the TVR Cerbera Speed 12, and he got really pissed when I passed him into Spoon corner, and set off in a furious pace. That had him crash out at the chicane :-D, so I could pass him again.

That's the fun part of this event. They would fight back every hard and then make mistakes.

OTOH they're amazingly fast in the moment of fighting back and pulling away before they go into the sand or tire wall.

I've tried TVR Speed 12 myself. Under 600pp, it can never be that fast as the AI.

Hi Racin-Rev,

As I've mentioned in my post, what I said is not against Cargo himself. It's a reply to the post, and speaking in general, not aiming at any certain member. I tried to make my points clearer, following my previous post which was (maybe somewhat) too emotional.

I don't dismiss the positive side of the forum and helpful members. I'm fully aware and thankful to all those. I'd feel sorry if my posts are percieved in the way against my intention.

Peace.
It's all good man

True, but its racing, on a race track. Whole point of racing tyres, hards etc, is to use them in a race on a race track. If i wanted to use comfort tryes, i would want to have nice drive around country side, or sports tyres to have a cruise upp and down a sea front.
I have never tried Racing Hard,Med, or Soft tyres on a Road Car. I guess I thought it would give me too much of a grip advantage and make the game too easy. Surely, as in real-life, a roadcar with soft compound racing tyres on race tuned suspension would annihilate the same roadcar on any compound Sport tyre and a good aftermarket suspension...

Can someone post some times they had to see if my AI is simply stupidly quick?
My AI is running 10:35-10:45
I got gold once but only barely in 10:44 ish but just want to know :)

10:44 was the time I got in the VW W12 Nardo '01 and that was my best time recorded yet. If I remember correctly I was fighting for 1st place on the third lap and then casually leading the pack to the finish, I had something like a 12 second lead at the end.

Last edited:
so it not much my times it more my AI is ****ed up XD :) more times would be nice :)

FYI AI never ran anything less then 10:50 in my experience
I believe I had a 10:56 driving the Saleen S7, the only reason I won was because the AI in 1st and 2nd crashed on the last lap which allowed me to gain the lead.

I've seen 10:41 to 10:54 rabbits.

Too bad that new VW Vision GTI is not allowed. Detuned to 600 pp with SS tires I was able to get into McLaren and ZZII lap times on arcade.

Last edited:
Just had a fun-run in a maxed out 'Scooby S206 Challenge Package' [578pp] and won with a time of 10:48, beating the McLaren F1 by 4 seconds, but he did over-run the hairpin into the sand trying to take back his 1st place that I had nicked from him on the final lap up through Dunlop, otherwise I think I would've needed to do some blocking down towards 130r and the chicane.

I found a new situation last night, or, it's new to me.

I tried Diablo GT again, and it's looking good in the first attampt. I caught up with the leading car, but eventually I got a 2nd because of my own mistake in the last lap.

So I tried again immediately, I thought to myself, I'd make it if I could avoid mistakes. There I went and there's no problem in driving, I also got better overall lap time. However I didn't win, but dropped to 3rd.

Tried again, still no luck, I was doing OK but the AIs seemed doing even better. I dropped to 4th. I was pretty consistent, but the gap between me and the leading car got larger and larger.

I don't remember they were like this before, I mean, doing better and better in the same line-up. Some of them still rush into the sand from time to time, but the top 2 or 3 cars remain very calm and fast, so they just pulled away.

Anyone has found this? Is it something to do with the latest update?

Back