A-spec Expert Level Race Car Challenge: Circuit de la Sarthe 2009

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 122 comments
I got a 6:58 with two sub 3 & 1/2 minute laps and only got fourth so the AI was a few seconds quicker than that

Out of curiosity, are you saying that you ran two laps of 3:29? Or that you ran two laps of 3:11, plus the ~36 seconds before you cross the line to start lap 1 (which counts towards the total time in screen shots).

If it's 2x 3:29, then you're nowhere near pushing the AI to go flat out, so you will sometimes get a better finish position with a slower time. If it's 2x 3:11, then you've come up against some very fast AI that isn't making mistakes.

My first laps were above 3-1/2 min per lap and l got second
But when l got my laps under 3-1/2 minutes l got fourth
I keep getting faster, but placing lower
At this rate if one ran sub 3 minute laps you would finish last
Perhaps in order to win you need to run over 4 minute laps?

Last edited:

In which case I'll go back to my previous post:

If it's 2x 3:29, then you're nowhere near pushing the AI to go flat out, so you will sometimes get a better finish position with a slower time.

You're probably about 6-7 seconds per lap away from guaranteeing that going faster will improve your finishing position. The cars will be rubber-banding to your pace, because they can go much faster than you're pushing them. The AI on this event are also prone to crash, so you will inevitably get some variation from that too.
Focus on your overall time, and making clean passes as soon as there's a good opportunity, rather than getting hung up on your finishing position. You need to be running ~3:22 laps to have a shot at winning this event, and that will come from improving your line and probably working on your setup.

Second or fourth place may depend on AI's cars and theirs crashes which are different whenever you join the event, so even if you make two identical races you are not sure to finish in the same place.
If you want to be sure to win, you need two laps around 3.15, I think

Second or fourth place may depend on AI's cars and theirs crashes which are different whenever you join the event, so even if you make two identical races you are not sure to finish in the same place.
If you want to be sure to win, you need two laps around 3.15, I think

3:22 or close to that mark is good.
Most importantly stay clear of AIs to avoid crazy time penalties!

I have over a half dozen 700pp race cars, and l am using all of them
(not at the same time) l have been running them stock, but am now starting to try different tunes
Times keep getting better, but l have not had much experience with this track
Running the 24 minute race in the "S" class is a great way to have fun and practice

Last edited:
(not at the same time) l have been running them stock, but am now starting to try different tunes
Running the 24 minute race in the "S" class is a great way to have fun and practice

In the 'S' class race, You really need to be quick as for sure You'll make 1 pit stop, if not 2. No doubt, it will help.

It's 1 of the best circuits in the game & in reality. Enjoy as much as You can.

@Barracuda413 I would pick the best car that you feel most comfortable driving and just stick with that one.

I ran the Bentley Speed 8. Really good car, enjoyed driving it. Got 2 laps of 3.24.x and caught the lead car at Mulsanne on the 2nd lap. Try that, maybe?

311nsye.jpg

Sadly the best I have been able to do with the Mazda LM55 is 7:19:483. The combo of driving & setup could be why I can't go faster, but it sure is fun trying...

The Chapparral 2x best time is 7:17:811. Became bored, Not as enjoyable to drive though...

Experimented with several other cars. Had many wins but I just seemed to gravitate to the LM55. It sounds great & handles predictably. I managed a 2 car sliding pass for the lead in the Indy Arnage section once ~ AWESOME FUN!

Last night I gave it few tries. Bested by best times twice... Yaa!

With the Mazda LM55 7:18:205.

I may have bested this but my controller bugged out & auto advanced the screen before I could take a photo. Had 2 really hot/clean laps, hit all the breaking points well. I Saved the replay but it's difficult to tell the exact time because the replay stops several seconds after the finish & doesn't seem to tell you the completion time exactly. Seemed to be a second or so faster than the time I posted above.

Is it me or is the finish time difficult to procure from replay?

Audi R18 Sport Team Joest. PP681. Cockpit race. Strong line up with the Pescarolo C60 Hybrid on pole. I wanted to see if the Joest Audi R18 would be faster than the, Audi R-18 GT6 Prototype and it was as I ran consistent faster laps with the Joest Audi. No tune for either of the two Audi R18. Fast lap 3:24.821. Pass for the win over the Pescarolo C60 Hybrid at the Indianapolis corner. Winning margin 01.130.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried an SRT Tomahawk Vision S at this event?

Nevermind, I see it is not eligible.

Last edited:
Personal best with the LM55 fri ngt, 7:16.548. Didn't feel that fast so I know there is room for improvement. It's just a matter of chipping away at those corners where time is lost or gained...

(Took a photo, eventually I'll figure out how to post one, as the PC won't communicate with the phone) Do you have to create a Media folder to upload to?

Figured out you can't add a photo to an edited post unless you have a media upload folder. Sorry for the duplicate post.

Attachments

• LM55 7-16-548.png
    LM55 7-16-548.png
    249 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:
Personal best with the LM55 fri ngt, 7:16.548. Didn't feel that fast so I know there is room for improvement. It's just a matter of chipping away at those corners where time is lost or gained...

(Took a photo, eventually I'll figure out how to post one, as the PC won't communicate with the phone) Do you have to create a Media folder to upload to?
I gain the most time in the super fast corners.

Winning by a total time of 7:19.xxx by nearly a 3 second margin over the Minolta-Toyota was an easy matter in the Peugeot 905B. I was in an easy 4th ending the first lap, and took the lead coming off the Mulsanne hairpin.

I used autoset 255 mph and full downforce minus 100 from the rear wing.

After literally hours of trying with different cars and tunes, and spending millions of credits on said cars and tunes, I finally did it a few minutes ago with a Chaparral 2X VGT. And even then, I only won because the two in front crashed near the end of the race.

Power limiter at 58.3, ballast set to 200 kg @ 0.

Although I thought the prize was a GT by Citroën Racing Car and not the Road type. Oh well, I think I have enough to get a Racing type anyways. That and I love the GT by Citroën.

Attachments

• 20161206_011245.jpg
    20161206_011245.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 26
Jaguar XJR-9 1988. Fast lap 3:22.554.Cockpit race. Pass for the win over the Toyota Minolta at Porsche Curves. Winning margin 02.378. On lap 1 at the Porsche Curves I passed the Pescarolo Sport and then he rammed me into the wall and then side swiped me for good measure. I was able to pass him back at the Ford Chicanes.

Are you sure? It looked to me you lost the car because you got on the grass and braked which made the car understeer. And then you got clipped by the Pescarolo.

After literally hours of trying with different cars and tunes, and spending millions of credits on said cars and tunes, I finally did it a few minutes ago with a Chaparral 2X VGT. And even then, I only won because the two in front crashed near the end of the race.

Power limiter at 58.3, ballast set to 200 kg @ 0.

Although I thought the prize was a GT by Citroën Racing Car and not the Road type. Oh well, I think I have enough to get a Racing type anyways. That and I love the GT by Citroën.

You're almost there with the 2X VGT, set the ballast at 8 minus or positive I can't remember at the moment and set the ABS at 3. That was the tune I used for a sub-7 total race time.

More Options... --> Upload a File

"I SEE" say's the blind man...

Jaguar XJR-9 1988. Fast lap 3:22.554.[/MEDIA]

The car sounds nice. Looks to be a strong contender. Will give it a go this evening or in the days to come... Any particulars regarding the setup? The gearing seems to top out in the draft. Thanks for posting Skeag Racing!

Last edited by a moderator:
"I SEE" say's the blind man...

The car sounds nice. Looks to be a strong contender. Will give it a go this evening or in the days to come... Any particulars regarding the setup? The gearing seems to top out in the draft. Thanks for posting Skeag Racing!
@slackville The setup is all stock with 2 changes Max.Speed 249 as I like to pass in the corners.Brake Balance 5 front 7 rear. @OscarW Roger That!! I got a better look on replay view as I only do cockpit racing.The AI has been lunching missiles at me in the corners at de la Sarthe from the get go.Thank you!!

Last edited:
[QUOTE="skeagracing, The setup is all stock with 2 changes Max.Speed 249 as I like to pass in the corners.Brake Balance 5 front 7 rear. @OscarW Roger That!! I got a better look on replay view as I only do cockpit racing.The AI has been lunching missiles at me in the corners at de la Sarthe from the get go.Thank you!![/QUOTE]

Yes the AI will bully us in the corners by under braking and overshooting but the upside is this, if you get a nose in front of the AI, they will concede position.

Looking fwd to giving the Jag a go. I set it up last night but didn't drive it.

Funny, this AI issue is something we will all be facing on our streets in the years to come. Elon Musk of Tesla motors is on the cutting edge of this industry. Many issues we face in the game with AI, we will be facing in our streets soon enough. The exception, people will die. Add to this, the cars will be supposedly for "RENTAL/Lease" only. Time will tell where this leads...

[QUOTE="skeagracing, The setup is all stock with 2 changes Max.Speed 249 as I like to pass in the corners.Brake Balance 5 front 7 rear. @OscarW Roger That!! I got a better look on replay view as I only do cockpit racing.The AI has been lunching missiles at me in the corners at de la Sarthe from the get go.Thank you!!

Yes the AI will bully us in the corners by under braking and overshooting but the upside is this, if you get a nose in front of the AI, they will concede position.

Looking fwd to giving the Jag a go. I set it up last night but didn't drive it.

Funny, this AI issue is something we will all be facing on our streets in the years to come. Elon Musk of Tesla motors is on the cutting edge of this industry. Many issues we face in the game with AI, we will be facing in our streets soon enough. The exception, people will die. Add to this, the cars will be supposedly for "RENTAL/Lease" only. Time will tell where this leads...[/QUOTE]

@slackville I want you to win with this car so I will tell you a few handling problems with the Jag that will help you. The car does understeer so you will have to set the car up for the corner by always going from extreme left for a hand right corner or extreme right for a left hand corner. The brakes are not great but you can still get the lead from the AI during braking. The steering wheel will have to be used from one extreme to the other in order to get around the corners. Most of my passing was on the inside of the corner over the AI as if you pass on the outside you will have a good chance to not be able to make the turn and run out of track or racing room. If I think of anything else I will let you know also if you come up against a problem feel free to let me know and I can help you.

Back