A-spec Expert Level Roadster/MX-5: Tsukuba 6 Laps

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 168 comments
Sorry, nothing personal. SRF is a drivers aid and I don't take it seriously. Might as well have someone else drive for me.

Nevermind ABS 1, but I'll gladly do ABS 0 and often do.

And nevermind that new cars have all kinds of aids, don't care for that either. Hello people that can't drive!

Then I guess almost every newer high performance is out for you. I completely understand someone not liking srf and other aids, I just thought maybe it was a touch mean to complain or call out lap times in a public forum after I saw dude edited his post.

On another note, maybe it's different with a wheel but compared to a controller even with brakes at zero the braking is way overpowered. Even my old fox bodies without abs on summer street tires locked up unless I wanted them to. On track my abs with current car never engages. If I pull fuse to disable traction control you lose abs but it seems you really have to try very hard to lock up brakes.

I see alot of people using the 07 Roadster..of the 8 Miatas I have (hey they are cheap don't judge me:dopey:) I like the olders ones the best.They seem to offer better horsepower to weight ratios than the 07. My flat floor 07 is probably the slowest. I'd say my 91 hidden stripe Miata J limited is my fav. The 04 Miata 1600 NR-A is limited by having a 5 speed but its still capable of winning.

I see alot of people using the 07 Roadster..of the 8 Miatas I have (hey they are cheap don't judge me:dopey:) I like the olders ones the best.They seem to offer better horsepower to weight ratios than the 07. My flat floor 07 is probably the slowest. I'd say my 91 hidden stripe Miata J limited is my fav. The 04 Miata 1600 NR-A is limited by having a 5 speed but its still capable of winning.

It's weird, the 07 has a decently less power/weight than my 00, but it is a bit faster for me. I think I hit 116 on main straight in the 07. my 00 miata spins tires a decent amount easier than my 07 so I think it's losing some speed in the turns.

As far as the driver aids debate goes... I'll use them once in awhile when I'm trying to "actually race" because I suck with the DS3. I'm not looking for a sim-ish experience if I'm not on the wheel so I just don't really care. I don't get the feeling I'll be driving a car with only my thumbs anytime soon. Plus I use dual stick so there's that.

If people want to use every aid that's there I say go ahead, it's your game. I'll probably be using them very soon just so this seasonal is a totally and completely mindless cash cow.

I have a few cars that I use TC on and a few that I use ASM on. It just makes life easier in the heat of battle when I tend to get overzealous. I usually run an ABS of 1 to 3 on most cars as well. I never use SRF or the active steering feature though. Not judging anyone that does, but I feel it takes away some of the challenge. I use a DS3 with both sticks and R1 for e-brake.

Why can't srf be taken serious, this game is far from a sim, just look at most online rooms or crazy ai tactics. Why diss srf, everyone should feel free to enjoy the game their own way, and feel free to post about how they enjoy playing.

If I have to pay 20 mil for a fake car you better believe I will use whatever methods I have at my disposable to get that 20 mil as fast as possible.

I'll put my non srf times against anyone, they might not be faster but they are usually competitive. To people that complain about abs, I appreciate the challenge without it but I don't know of any current cars that come without it. Sure in real life you can threshold brake a little better without it, but if you screw up your out very expensive tires, and most current road race cars have abs. Current gen cars in real life commonly have stability control, and show even have active steering. On a Ferrari fxx it's not even possible to turn traction control off.

To complain about someone using srf when it's clearly allowed is mean. I imagine racers in real life would use it if ur existed. Racers commonly use everything within the rules for the best times possible.

Don't be a srf hater:guilty:
Were you around for the endless SRF whinging in GT5? It 's not allowed in Seasonal TT so even PD acknowledges it is too much an artificial aid. Well, most SRF haters have gone off to Project Cars, it's a bit like the last days of Pompeii in GT6.

I prefer project cars with abs only so far. For grinding I will use srf all the time. For online racing I only go to rooms that are abs only. Compared to project cars the sim level of gt6 is quite arcade. For high pp like a 600pp Ferrari I'll use tc at 1 on occasion

The only aid I frown upon is SRF because it's pure fiction. The rest is fair game.

That said, I went with SRF, AC strong, TC1 and ABS1 for this one for an easy win. :D

It depends on the definition of aids. If traction control abs and all that isn't available then it isn't very realistic. I believe most aids like traction control slow down the lower pp cars a lot. I'd be more open to srf on expert level if cars didn't gain a ton of pp after touching them, or if they let you qualify.

Played around with this event for a bit yesterday. Bought myself (another) Roadster RS (NC) '07. Think I have four now. This time I kept it stock and went straight for the event. Also since there has been so much discussion going on aids, decided to start with no aids, no SRF, TC0, ABS0, even the lane change assistant off.

1st race / finished 5th / 7:32.607 / +22.821 / rabbit: Roadster RS (NC) '07
2nd race / finished 5th / 7:31.742 / +17.922 / rabbit: MX-5 1800 RS (NB,J) '04
3rd race / finished 7th / 7:31.217 / +15.150 / rabbit: Roadster 1.8 RS (NB) '98

At this point it was starting to look like I couldn't beat this with a stock car and no aids, so I started to install tuning parts one by one. Races 4-7 were with the same line up. Still no aids.

4th race / racing exhaust - finished 5th / 7:24.945 / +14.741 / rabbit: Roadster RS (NC) '07
5th race / supercharger, normal exhaust / finished 3rd / 7:19.166 / +8.647 - rabbit: Roadster RS (NC) '07
6th race / high RPM turbo / finished 3rd / 7:16.511 / +5.405 - rabbit: Roadster RS (NC) '07

7th race / engine tune st1, racing exhaust, supercharger, custom trans at 200 km/h /
/ finished 1st / 7:09.792 / -0.124 / rabbit: Roadster RS (NC) '07

At the 7th race the car had 448PP, 245BHP and 30kgfm. 4.48 kg/BHP. Made the winning overtake at finish line from the outside, so no room to go any slower. This was the lowest I could go with no aids.

Still a little experiment. Took my Praiano tuned Roadster RS (NC) '07 and tried it with no aids. Switched racing brakes to standard ones to reduce tyre locking, also altered brake balance from 8/10 to 3/5.

8th race / Praiano tuned, std brakes / finished 1st / 7:06.276 / -0.395 / rabbit: Roadster RS (NC) '07

And for comparison, repeated the race with SRF on and ABS1, also switched back racing brakes.

9th race / Praiano, SRF + ABS / finished 1st / 6:55.572 / -14.253 / rabbit: Roadster RS (NC) '07

Conclusions. I had most fun with 9th race. Sure the handling felt more realistic from 1st through 8th race, but the car felt so much slower that it took some of the fun away. Also with my button bashing DS3 driving, realism is not so much of an factor for me. I like my cars fast and don't really care if they handle unrealistically as long as they are fast.

I can understand why people feel strongly about using aids. They make such a big difference in handling. Hats off to anyone who keeps on driving as a purist, it's not for me. I'm here just to have fun. So I'll go on as usual with SRF on where possible, ABS1 and TC 0 or TC1 depending on occasion. Maybe later some more experimenting with aids off, just for fun.

Last edited:
That's pretty good for praiano tune, normally I really like his (or her) tunes, but for the miata I had a heck of a time with it and switches to my scientific method of tuning. (I just guess and test, and hope for the best)

I put a wing on it with max downforce and aero parts. Don't know how much difference it makes. With flat floor and lower power it was actually slower.

I like the Praiano's Roadster best at 550PP races though. All aero parts, including flat floor and max power upgrades. Becomes quite a race car that is suited especially for tracks with lots of corners.

Had an odd one on this last night. Using a 450pp ’07, managed to squeak a win over H. Bentley in their similar model. The gap was 0.004sec in my favour and the results confirmed this (7:11.000 vs. 7:11.004), yet I only got a 2nd place payout and silver trophy when I exited out of the event. Did get the ‘0.01sec’ award though.

Got an easy victory when I re-entered as there was no ’07 in the line-up, and finally got the extra money, paint chip and gold trophy.

As an aside, the Roadster tuned to this level feels like an eager little thing and I’ll see what other events I can use it in. No flat floor (never done that, don’t know what difference it would make) but I did put a spoiler on the front and silly wing on the back.

It depends on the definition of aids. If traction control abs and all that isn't available then it isn't very realistic. I believe most aids like traction control slow down the lower pp cars a lot. I'd be more open to srf on expert level if cars didn't gain a ton of pp after touching them, or if they let you qualify.
I agree 100% with your view on this and you are correct about TC slowing down the lower pp cars for sure. I would even say that all pp cars would slow down with TC.

I guess thats good enough to be a cash cow money maker...

20150513_115415.jpg

This 'Expert' level should not allow SRF or aids, so that those cars should be tune or driven correctly to get gold. At the end everybody gets real improvement by this method. Agree ?
My "research" says that SRF doesn't just add grip, it changes the behaviour of the AI too. They become more accommodating, moving out of the way to let you pass. I've noticed this several times in the past after running races many times without SRF, and then turning it on. I haven't checked to see if it's still the same with the "new" aggressive AI. I'm not a fan of it.

This race is a very smooth & relaxed moneymaker for those who are grinding the credits. I have put together a tune that glides nicely around Tsukuba, and if you drive it right, it's good for low 1:04's and total-time 6:54-56. 👍

:D
looks like I have to buy another 07 to try your tune out lol..I have 3 already :crazy:

Once this week's challenges come out I'll plug the ps3 back in and check out those settings. I have to buy a new one cause of chassis reinforcement, but that's okay, this challenge got be the last 11 million I needed to buy 330 p4

Back