A-spec Intermediate Level Non-Race Car Challenge: Apricot Hill Raceway

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 163 comments
Ford Ka, every Focus, Both new Fiat 500. Mini 1.3i, I would say most FF cars can win.

I set them up with 20mm higher front. Moderate rear toe out and higher spring rate in rear. I set front bar to 2 on FF also. I find adjusting the weight usually ends up slower due to the PP gained. I set diff accel to 8 on FF decel 5 initial 8 also. Good bread and butter quick tuning for FF cars to me.

Last edited:
I would say most FF cars can win
Yes that's true. Here's a list of FF cars i ran successfully so far (all tuned):

Acura CL 3.2 Type S '01 and Integra Type R
Alfa Romeo 147 TI 2,0 Twin Spark '06 and GTA
Fiat Barchetta
Ford Focus ST '13 and Taurus
Honda Accord Euro R '00 and '02
Mazda Protegé
Mini Cooper S '05
Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
Peugeot 206 CC and 207 GTI
VW Lupo GTI

I set them up with 20mm higher front. Moderate rear toe out and higher spring rate in rear. I set front bar to 2 on FF also. I find adjusting the weight usually ends up slower due to the PP gained. I set diff accel to 8 on FF decel 5 initial 8 also. Good bread and butter quick tuning for FF cars to me.
That's similar to my standard setup. The most important thing is to get rid of the understeer (as always). I usually don't lift the front, only if the setup feels strange without lifting it. I use moderate rear toe too, and i often use negative values there. Front bar is always 2 either, and i never use rear bar settings higher than 5. I'd rather increase the rear spring settings or lower the front spring settings if the car doesn't want to turn in. For the diff i set values between 5 and 15 for accel and initial and up to 25 for decel. On a few lightweight cars it can be helpful to put some ballast into the car and raise the power to better the power/weight ratio and to have more torque on the uphill parts of the track. But in most cases i don't use ballast at all.

Yea I meant negative toe, which is toe out I think. I really only lift the nose when the car has over 60% front weight. Cars like Focus ST and Kusabi I leave level. I keep the diff accel low since I use controller lol. Wheelspin vs underseer under power. I pick the lesser of the 2 negatives for me.

On FR and MR cars I usually drive them stock before I mess with the set-up.

I rarely do that with FF cars. But I did last time at Brands.

4WD is a mixed bag lol...

Yea I meant negative toe, which is toe out I think.
I think you're right, but don't ask me, i'm only sure how it's called in german:D.

To reduce wheelspin i often set final gear longer. I give away top speed in favor of better acceleration and more control. I'm using a wheel and the springs of my pedals have become very soft because of extensive use. Reducing wheelspin by applying less throttle has become more and more difficult over the last 2 years :D.

Here are 2 more cars for my FF list (both tuned again):

Honda Civic Type R (EP) '01
Nissan Primera 20V '01

The Honda is great (as i expected) like the Mini or the Peugeot 207, but the Primera is as stubborn as a mule.

The Mazda Kusabi is a fun drive. Nice smooth power band and good handling for an FF.

Lotus Elan is a little out of it's league but can win. VW Nardo is way overkill but great fun. Same for the Cien lol. The Cizeta won but not without arguing with me every turn lol.

It even disagrees on straights... The '71 Mach 1 is also stubborn. Just opposite of Cizeta in that it confuses curves with straights lol. It is no Tank Car, still seems stubborn. '67 Cougar was a much better drive.

Yeah it is fun, For 1 week.... why not change the TT's at 2 weeks and normal races in one week?

So: Every week other normal races and once in the 2 weeks a new TT.

They used to have new races and time trials every 2 weeks. Now they both last at least 1 month.

Soon it may be longer.

I am trying out cars on this, seeing what is fun and what to sell/stockyard. I know about most of the OP machines. But who wants to use the same 6-10 out of 1200+ cars every time.

Just tried with my T300RS in a stock Honda NSX... Wow it's like learning to use the wheel all over again coming from a DFGT. Getting used to it though and won easily with a few mistakes but hey! I'm new. Haha

The Tommykaira ZZS does well here stock too. The Suzuki Concept S2 is another good FF car to tune. Dome Zero is unstable, but a rocket on straights tuned.

Been trying to win with the Mercedes SL 600 (R129) Fun challenge! The viper up front isn't making it very easy though. I've only allowed myself to tune the everything but improve the HP or reduce weight. I'd recommend trying it out! 👍

Tried the Mustang Mach 1 Best lap of 1:32.990
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll be sad to see this one go. Been a lot of fun. Cars from about 450 PP down to about 425 have been quite fun. Good flow to the track when you get it right.

Back