A-spec Intermediate Level Non-Race Car Challenge: Apricot Hill Raceway

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 163 comments
I have to ask... how come a Hood ( us and canadian english) Becomes a Bonnet (UK english)? seriously, a "Bonnet" is realetd to hat in French... and a hood/Bonnet doesn't feel like a hat.

EDIT: I already see people telling that a Hood (aka a cape, clothes wise) doesn't feel like something a car doesn't need either , but still..

I have to ask... how come a Hood ( us and canadian english) Becomes a Bonnet (UK english)? seriously, a "Bonnet" is realetd to hat in French... and a hood/Bonnet doesn't feel like a hat.

EDIT: I already see people telling that a Hood (aka a cape, clothes wise) doesn't feel like something a car doesn't need either , but still..
No idea. Why do you guys drive on the wrong side of the road? :P

oh hey, Thinking about it, the french name isn't representative either. it's called a "capot" (read kah-poh) and if we add an e to the word in french, it becomes a slang for a condom, a "Capote" (read Kah-Pot)

oh hey, Thinking about it, the french name isn't representative either. it's called a "capot" (read kah-poh) and if we add an e to the word in french, it becomes a slang for a condom, a "Capote" (read Kah-Pot)
Haha, that's something I definitely did not know before now!

You guys also call it a "trunk" where we call it a "boot", right?

Haha, that's something I definitely did not know before now!

You guys also call it a "trunk" where we call it a "boot", right?

Indeed... and the french is again farfetch, or maybe not. in french it's called a "valise" (Vah-lease) or a Coffre (koh-freh)

while a car trunk has no ways of looking like an elephant's, nor a boot for that matter

Note that "Valise" is more French-Canadian oriented. Do not expect a guy from France say that word. Only people in Quebec knows what a Valise means for a car

GSXR/4 runs close to 1:27 laps here. Trying to gold this in reverse lol.

EDIT: Ok reverse is not as fast as forward it seems. But like many I like the flow better still. I do not own every car yet. :D I ran the Fisker Karma and both Teslas, all were fairly easy wins. The Karma has some moves for a plus size.:crazy: The big Tesla can dance too. All 3 have top end issues, but Apricot is fairly balanced, which keeps that from being a real problem. Feeling just a little too Eco friendly I let loose in the 69 Z28 to finish tonight.:lol: Which also brings me up to 50m credits.

What to buy to try next....

Last edited:

It's the hood/hat/bonnet/helmet for the engine. :) You can find these headgear-like terms in several languages. I guess lid was too boring or just not flattering enough.

What to buy to try next....
if you find out, please tell me i have to get rid of credits either. and i dont want to buy a third set of all VGT cars :)

yesterday i tryed out some 4WDs not challanging but fun anyway.
The Subaru 206 is not bad realy, all the WRX sti sedan and whatever are good aswell, allthough they are not balanced as good as the Subaru206 allready is.

after that a "safe" s2000 with all extras mounted (just for the look of it ;) ).
It was a bit harder till i found out i still had Comfort tyres on it :banghead: :D

Most fun for me was still the 86 (or the BRZ) although for sure the NSX LM Prototype was way faster (hell knows why this should be a "normal" car ... ;) )

Tuned for sure. Oil change, racing exhaust, exhaust manifold, stage 3 weight reduction, carbon hood, 9kg ballast weight. Should be 500pp. Extremely fun to drive.

Suspension:
Ride height, 94/94
Spring rate: 7.15/9.24
Dampers: 5/5, 6/6
Anti-roll bars: 4/4
Camber: 0.5/0.7
Toe angle: 0.00/0.40
Brake balance: 3/0

LSD: 8/13/10

I just shorten the gears as needed.

So I finally got around to trying this out. It's awesome! It's very strong for this event; very sharp and stable. I would recommend this to anyone having trouble with this event.

I haven't quite figured out how to drive this very fast yet. It's easily fast enough to win reliably vs any rabbit though. I look forward to driving as fast as I can, I think it will be very entertaining. :D I guess I will find out in a couple of hundred kilometers of practice.

Thanks for posting the tune! :)

If you get the M4 and RGT together at the front you better be on your game. Something good maxed out to 500 tuned will be business as usual. But if you are trying out stock cars watch out for that combo.

I used the stock as a rock Ferrari GTB4 as detailed in this weeks Sleeper Car thread.

SH tyres, No Aids, Not even ABS (the brakes in the 70's weren't good enough to lock the tyres)
I reckon it could even do it on Comforts for fun

Yeah, now try it in a totally stock '86 BTR against the RGT. Talk about tough! Doable though!

Couldn't do it with a stock BTR against the RGT. 2nd place 4 times in a row by 2 sec. or less. If I could change the transmission I could. I had all 4 wheels glowing red every lap. Even tried the Yellow Bird with the same results. The RUF's in this event are Rough:lol:.

I still have not beat the RGT with a stock BTR either. The BTR demands great throttle control, but when you get it right it feels great. I will say this, since I have raced the BTR there is not even one MR car I had an issue with.:mischievous: Cars like the GT40 MK1 are childs play now. Well, STRATOS gets an honorable mention here too.

Drive this car and turn off all the aids. It is hell on wheels, but you learn so much.:bowdown:

I still have not beat the RGT with a stock BTR either. The BTR demands great throttle control, but when you get it right it feels great. I will say this, since I have raced the BTR there is not even one MR car I had an issue with.:mischievous: Cars like the GT40 MK1 are childs play now. Well, STRATOS gets an honorable mention here too.

Drive this car and turn off all the aids. It is hell on wheels, but you learn so much.:bowdown:

Do you think that I could learn similarly from trying to win the Beginner's Autumn Ring challenge in a stock Stratos?

To be serious, i think a Stratos is different compared to any RUF. The concept seems the same but it feels much more balanced to the back. In every fast corner with constant radius the rear has a propensitiy for spinning out very strong. (i dont know how to explain it better, sorry)
Much more ,in my opinion, as it has with the RUFs. Tahtto me is the most anoying thing .
It also feels a bit more agressive conserning the development of the engines power. it seems to "jump" up at any point and therefore overwhelm the reartyres.
That feels a bit smoother with the RUFs overall.

Nevertheless you will still learn a lot from driving a Stratos (in any tune ...)

In one of last TTs (Matterhorn) i had a hard time trying to get my Stratos nearly as fast as an Dino.
i didnt get much quicker with the Stratos (improvement for sure but far away from the Dinos time) but as i quit training with the stratos i all of a sudden was a couple of seconds faster with the Dino aswell.

Looking for a PP ninja I came across 3 FF cars that do well. The Mini 1.3i, Ford Ka, and Fiat 500 1.2 Lounge. The Fiat is the fastest, but the KA sounds amazing with racing exhaust.

To be serious, i think a Stratos is different compared to any RUF. The concept seems the same but it feels much more balanced to the back. In every fast corner with constant radius the rear has a propensitiy for spinning out very strong. (i dont know how to explain it better, sorry)
Much more ,in my opinion, as it has with the RUFs. Tahtto me is the most anoying thing .
It also feels a bit more agressive conserning the development of the engines power. it seems to "jump" up at any point and therefore overwhelm the reartyres.
That feels a bit smoother with the RUFs overall.

Nevertheless you will still learn a lot from driving a Stratos (in any tune ...)

In one of last TTs (Matterhorn) i had a hard time trying to get my Stratos nearly as fast as an Dino.
i didnt get much quicker with the Stratos (improvement for sure but far away from the Dinos time) but as i quit training with the stratos i all of a sudden was a couple of seconds faster with the Dino aswell.

I am still struggling with the RUF BTR, my best placement is 5th.

I managed to win with a Stratos on SH tires (otherwise it was stock) in the 450pp beginner's event. It took some tries, it was not pretty and it was not a huge win. I don't think it made me better at driving the BTR, it's probably the BTR that made the Stratos seem more manageable.

I find the BTR very difficult to keep on the track, much less go fast in. In the 1:40's I am around 10 secs slower per lap in the stock BTR than I am in a dialed down but otherwise stock 500pp Miura. :P

I have it, I think all it needs is a racing transmission to be competitive. Tuned up it should, just do what Lotus cars always do lol.

The BTR and STRATOS are different kinds of hard each. But both will make you a better driver if you give them a chance.

It is scary being right on the edge every turn lol. But it somehow gets easier, then something clicked in my mind at least. I am having to re tune old favorites because they feel so stiff to me now. I think I hit a plateau skill wise for a while. I think this RUF is getting me over it.

Last edited:
did you try a scirocco ? or a focus ? I have both as 15th Anniversay edition and especially the scirocco feels amazing balanced.
Maybe the Anniversary editions are not permitted here. i didnt try out yet.
But in general one of the best FF cars i have so far

I am still struggling with the RUF BTR, my best placement is 5th.

I managed to win with a Stratos on SH tires (otherwise it was stock) in the 450pp beginner's event. It took some tries, it was not pretty and it was not a huge win. I don't think it made me better at driving the BTR, it's probably the BTR that made the Stratos seem more manageable.

I find the BTR very difficult to keep on the track, much less go fast in. In the 1:40's I am around 10 secs slower per lap in the stock BTR than I am in a dialed down but otherwise stock 500pp Miura. :P
We were talking about Apricot i thought.
I didnt try either on Autumn Ring but i think this has a totaly different characteristic.
On Apricot i had to struggle a lot with the stratos especially in the 180° corner in the middle section. The rear was permenantly sliding to the outside even though i was far away from the cornerspeed of others.
I think i lost a couple of seconds only in this section.
You dont have similar Corner in Autumn Ring i think , do you ?

Latest Posts

Back