Abandoned Racetracks

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Johnny1996, Jul 12, 2014.

1. The Chosen One

The Chosen One

Has anyone considered doing re-construction of these tracks on the course maker?
    It's not like people can't hack their way into making one.

2. GTE4everyone

GTE4everyone

Yeah lol I think some of these have already been created. I was thinking of recreating the original Laguna Seca layout, but the front straight is too short and bent, so I can't fit the default start line...

3. GTE4everyone

GTE4everyone

I am planning to recreate this track in CM, but I can't find it on Maps. Any idea how I can find it?

4. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

I just used Google, this was the top search after the raceway's Preservation Society.

5. GTE4everyone

GTE4everyone

Thank you! I've found it! I'll probably make it today.

Brutaka and TenEightyOne like this.
  6. Liquid

Liquid Premium

I am led to believe that this was taken during the construction of Hockenheimring's stadium section, which would date it to some time in the early 1960s as discussed previously.

It's the start/finish straight with turn one in the distance.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  7. TDZdave

TDZdave

That should be put in the pictures of motorsport history, as that section is still in use, but a great pic nonetheless

sk8er913 and Northstar like this.
  8. Liquid

Liquid Premium

I know but I like this thread for "old tracks" in the sense of old configurations as well as abandoned ones.

9. Obelisk

Obelisk Premium

There are a few of them around here in MA. Let's get started!

Rhythm Inn Speedway, Miller Falls, MA
    Apparently, this speedway was named after a strip club that was adjacent to the entrance (which was a driveway), and the drivers would be paid in the back of the club. There isn't much information on the track itself, but the road itself is still there. It ran from 1951 to 1955, where it closed due to financial problems on the owner's part.

I cannot find a map image of the track. It appears to have been totally lost to suburban construction.

Whip City Speedway, Westfield, MA
    A more recent track, this was a 1/4 dirt oval with an apparent kart loop within it. It was closed in 2011.

upload_2016-2-4_11-9-3.png

upload_2016-2-4_11-9-21.png

Pinnacle Raceway, Chicopee, MA

This was a multiple layout track for karting. This one, according to news articles, lost its license in 2011.

upload_2016-2-4_11-15-18.png

TDZdave and twitcher like this.
  10. Liquid

Liquid Premium

*Abandoned & Altered Racetracks

Another "This is what it used to look like" pictures.

Silverstone, 1990

Still just the perimeter roads.
    Before Maggots and Becketts were turned into sweepers.
    Before the complex at Priory, Brooklands and Luffield.
    Before Abbey was turned into a chicane.
    Before Abbey was removed and the Farm section was added.
    Before the pits were moved.

The curvature of the earth is pretty neat.

[​IMG]

11. Pete05

Pete05 Premium

Silverstone has been butchered & rebuilt so many times over the years, I'm amazed the whole area inside the perimeter roads isn't totally tarmac!

SVPSkins likes this.
  12. TheCracker

TheCracker Premium

Didn't realise that the club circuit (National circuit) used to deviate from the GP so far after Maggots. It now turns right before the Fosters logo as that stretch of old runway is now run off area. Would have loved to have driven the GP circuit in this configuration. Dad and Uncle said it was epic.

13. Liquid

Liquid Premium

In a similar vein, here are what a lot of British circuits started out life as. How fortunate that the Air Force were meticulous in their observations and record keeping.

RAF Silverstone, 1945

[​IMG]

RAF Croft, 1946

[​IMG]

RAF Thruxton, 1946

[​IMG]

RAF Snetterton, 1946

[​IMG]

RAF Westhampnett (Goodwood), 1946

[​IMG]

The only one tricky to make out is RAF Croft. This 2006 aerial photograph helps and you can see what the original Croft circuit looked like; it formed a triangle with the runway being the old start/finish straight.

Snetterton also used to be triangular; its original configuration ran along the perimeter road parallel to the main runway before coming down the N/S runway joining today's circuit at the esses. It changed to the familiar rectangular configuration along the secondary runway in the 1970s .

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  14. Pupik

Pupik Staff Emeritus

RAF Snetterton 'firing butts'?

That has to be an unusual insignia.

15. TheCracker

TheCracker Premium

Looking at that period aerial shot, Croft is unusual in that it uses hardly any of the perimeter roads for the modern circuit. It utilizes more of the runways instead. The pre-1970's layout uses even more.

Silverstone is incredibly recognisable. Up until fairly recently, a lot of those tarmac 'spurs' you see leading out from the perimeter roads to what appear to be anti-aircraft gun placements, hangers, etc, still existed.

-1.jpg
    2A16E07E00000578-3143551-image-a-17_1435787725113.jpg
    8363505779_eee5b53fe7_b.jpg

Nice bit of breeze block/cinder block 'curbing' on the inside of Becketts (i assume) :eek:
    2A27547A00000578-3143551-image-m-13_1435786046889.jpg

16. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Soldier Field, home of the NFL's Chicago Bears, held a NASCAR race in 1956.

[​IMG]

17. Dan Hill

Dan Hill

How about 2 more recent circuits used in F1.

The Korea International Circuit used for the South Korean Grand Prix from 2010-2013 and Buddh International Circuit used for the Indian Grand Prix from 2011-2013.

Not sure what state the tracks are in now but neither seem to have had much use since F1 stopped going to both of them.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  18. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

GT Asia Series raced there two weeks ago.

19. daan

daan Moderator

GPL (1967) had them on the inside of Copse and Stowe.

John Wells, Liquid and TheCracker like this.
  20. brocky31

brocky31

Sitges-Terramar in Spain, then:
    [​IMG]

And now:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. TDZdave

TDZdave

Dolph Drago, Northstar and Pete05 like this.
  22. Dolph Drago

Dolph Drago

TDZdave likes this.
  23. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

The most any of the short tracks had in the early days were wooden fences for barriers. Which wasn't really preventing anything from getting through.

TDZdave likes this.
  24. Panoz

Panoz Premium

Here's a video and bunch of pictures of Virginia International Raceway being revived from the dead in 1998 after being a cow pasture for 24 years.

It's amazing, considering how beautiful the track is today.

[​IMG]

25. -Fred-

-Fred- Staff Emeritus

It's a shame that oak tree got burned down by lightning, it really added even more character to the track.

[​IMG]

26. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Autodromo di Modena

Another old airfield converted into a racetrack. It was demolished in the 1970s and is now Enzo Ferrari public park. The third-placed driver in the 1955 Formula One championship Eugenio Castellotti died there in a testing accident in 1957.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Roo and Pete05 like this.
  27. Liquid

Liquid Premium

I went to AVUS today.

IMG_20180923_130211853.jpg

IMG_20180923_130802524.jpg

IMG_20180923_130811569.jpg

IMG_20180923_132341492_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180923_132317211_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180923_130829576.jpg

And for reference:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. EddieHimself

EddieHimself

It does totally get on my nerves when you hear about these racetracks being abandoned because some houses were built there AFTER it opened and then the people who moved in knowing full well where their houses were located, have the nerve to complain about the noise. It does just make you wish that Riho Fubata would come along and smash their crappy houses to the ground, see what that does to their precious "land values..."

ShiftingGears and John Wells like this.
  29. Dotini

Dotini Premium

Circuit of Cadours
    The closest major town is Toulouse.

[​IMG]
    Raymond Sommer, Cooper-J.A.P., 1950

Sommer’s death was a big shock for racing fans in France as well as the world. Moreover, Jean-Pierre Wimille, the other great French driver of this era, had died about 19 months before. In a short period of time French racing drivers and fanatics were left without leaders. A memorial to Sommer was erected and inaugurated on September 9, 1951, just before the 3rd Circuit de Cadours. It was financed by a national fund and sculpted by Pessay. On June 2, 1952 Fangio came from Albi to Cadours to meditate at Sommer’s memorial: Raymond had been his friend.

[​IMG]
    Despite Sommer’s death the Circuit de Cadours was organized almost every year until 1961. Of course, after the Le Mans tragedy of 1955 the security of the tracks had to be improved, much more than before. This surely accounts for the financial difficulties due to necessary investments to protect the spectators and the drivers.

Unfortunately, another tragedy happened in Cadours. In 1958 no car races were organized but motorcycle races instead. And on July 13th Keith Campbell, Australia’s first world motorcycle champion, died at Cadours after crashing out of the race. He was only 26 and had won the 350cc World Championship on a Moto Guzzi the previous year.

After this second tragedy a final car race took place at Cadours in 1961: Jo Siffert won the 12th Circuit de Cadours, at the wheel of a Formula Junior Lotus 20, ahead of thirteen French drivers.

Classic triangular layout connecting 3 tiny hamlets
    [​IMG]

Start/Finish
    [​IMG]
    D89

Cox corner, the hairpin to the right where Sommer perished.
    [​IMG]
    D41-D89

[​IMG]

Recent Historic demo under Sommer memorial
    [​IMG]

Pete05 likes this.
  30. LumpiestFish

LumpiestFish

Does anyone know if they planted a new one? I have no idea how long oak trees take to grow and what not, but it would be cool if in however many years, we had a new oak tree there.

I do know that they used the old tree to create the trophies for when ALMS/IMSA returned to the circuit, which is neat.