AC Time Attack Challenge 2.0 - see post #590 for a link to a Boxing Day event with the Alfa GTA

Small update, thanks to @Saidur_Ali's setup.

yrzINHW.jpg

I wonder if it is possible to get faster gear shifts using H-Shifter and clutch. Has anyone done a back to back?
I don't think so. I think there is a limitation on shifting speed built into each car. It feels like I can manualy shift faster in some cars vs. how fast it actually shifts in the game. I think using the paddles offer an advantage in consistency and in being more flexible with gearing and the timing of downshifts and upshifts. When you heel and toe and shift manually you have to always be conscious of where and when you shift and and your options are usually more limited for practical reasons. I noticed in your video for example that in a couple of places you had a short upshift entering a corner and then a quick downshift, between corner 3 and 4 for example. When you manually shift you most likely wouldn't do that because the quick upshift and then downshift is very tricky at corner entry so you'd set up your transmission to avoid that small upshift, or at least I do. When using the paddles you can also downshift quite easily whenever you want to, something that's not so easy when you heel and toe. A mid-corner downshift to help the car rotate a little quicker is not such an easy thing when you don't use the paddles. It can be done of course, but you have more errors and less accuracy vs. using the paddles. I think very hard braking is also easier with the paddles, simply because your foot is focused on only one action, braking, vs. braking and blipping the throttle.

Others may be more skilled than me and it may be just as easy for them when manually shifting but for me, I'm always a little faster and more consistent (ie. less frustrating and more mistake free laps) with the paddles vs. heel and toe. I choose heel and toe because that's how I want to race though.

I don't think so. I think there is a limitation on shifting speed built into each car. It feels like I can manualy shift faster in some cars vs. how fast it actually shifts in the game. I think using the paddles offer an advantage in consistency and in being more flexible with gearing and the timing of downshifts and upshifts. When you heel and toe and shift manually you have to always be conscious of where and when you shift and and your options are usually more limited for practical reasons. I noticed in your video for example that in a couple of places you had a short upshift entering a corner and then a quick downshift, between corner 3 and 4 for example. When you manually shift you most likely wouldn't do that because the quick upshift and then downshift is very tricky at corner entry so you'd set up your transmission to avoid that small upshift, or at least I do. When using the paddles you can also downshift quite easily whenever you want to, something that's not so easy when you heel and toe. A mid-corner downshift to help the car rotate a little quicker is not such an easy thing when you don't use the paddles. It can be done of course, but you have more errors and less accuracy vs. using the paddles. I think very hard braking is also easier with the paddles, simply because your foot is focused on only one action, braking, vs. braking and blipping the throttle.

Others may be more skilled than me and it may be just as easy for them when manually shifting but for me, I'm always a little faster and more consistent (ie. less frustrating and more mistake free laps) with the paddles vs. heel and toe. I choose heel and toe because that's how I want to race though.
Just really confused as the last two events I did seem a lot more off the pace compared to first event I did which was with a semi-automatic car. See also @gm matthew and you also seem quite quick in the last sector relative to rest of lap.

I use my shifter when I can because I enjoy it more but over a lap I'm definitely slower using it than using paddles. Like Johnny said it's a bit more inconsistent, particularly on down changes for me because sometimes I will shift down too aggressively and the rear will step out. If I was using the paddles I've got 2 hands on the wheel and a bit more control.

Saidur I don't think your short shift to 4th out of the long right did you any favours. My lap's currently uploading so it should be up shortly.

Just really confused as the last two events I did seem a lot more off the pace compared to first event I did which was with a semi-automatic car. See also @gm matthew and you also seem quite quick in the last sector relative to rest of lap.
Your left front seem to be quite hot in the last few corners. It's at 120-130C in the corner 10 and 12 for example and although it's on the inside, it's over 120C in the final corner. These tires lose a lot of grip once you get over 110-120C or at least that's how it feels to me. I struggled to get below my original time of 1:52.7 and only did so by focusing on being super smooth, which kept the temps a little more ideal and increased my corner exit speeds. I'm still not as fast as the aliens but I suspect that is the key is lowering the tire slip and keeping the temps down.

I use my shifter when I can because I enjoy it more but over a lap I'm definitely slower using it than using paddles. Like Johnny said it's a bit more inconsistent, particularly on down changes for me because sometimes I will shift down too aggressively and the rear will step out. If I was using the paddles I've got 2 hands on the wheel and a bit more control.

Saidur I don't think your short shift to 4th out of the long right did you any favours. My lap's currently uploading so it should be up shortly.
It was to get car rotated a bit more to keep more to right and also allowed to get more on the power without heating up the rear tyres as much, tried every way possible but always was slow so hard to understand why really. Will be interesting to see your approach to it. I do think last two events I had probably a better setup too potentially so you might go even faster if you tried again.
Your left front seem to be quite hot in the last few corners. It's at 120-130C in the corner 10 and 12 for example and although it's on the inside, it's over 120C in the final corner. These tires lose a lot of grip once you get over 110-120C or at least that's how it feels to me. I struggled to get below my original time of 1:52.7 and only did so by focusing on being super smooth, which kept the temps a little more ideal and increased my corner exit speeds. I'm still not as fast as the aliens but I suspect that is the key is lowering the tire slip and keeping the temps down.
I did everything in setup to try and get it low for that last sector and on that lap I think it was actually quite low compared to usual due to a really flowing middle sector which helped me to get my best last sector.

I did everything in setup to try and get it low for that last sector and on that lap I think it was actually quite low compared to usual due to a really flowing middle sector which helped me to get my best last sector.
I don't think it's the setup I think it's the new tire model and this car. Even tiny errors that in other cars didn't affect heat much, in this car with this tire model the tires heat up very quickly and grip drops off just as quickly, so the only solution is to be absolutely perfectly smooth and keep temps down. I just watched Aderrrm's video and it seems to support that conclusion as he's super smooth throughout it seems, with very little tire noise or slideways action. I found that even one small mistake on entry and a loss of traction in one corner, was often enough to ruin the rest of the lap.

As an aside, I'm hoping this is the direction they go with the tire model even though it moves the game more away from the casual users in full sim mode, but I suppose that's what turning tire heat off is for:idea: When I got into pc sim racing I was really looking forward to having the added level of complexity of having to manage tire temps and tire wear and so far this hasn't been the case, at least not consistently. PCars is struggling with the whole tire heating issue at the moment, having swung in one direction and then the other in their last couple of patches and it makes the game quite undesirable for me. I really hope Kunos gets this sorted for all cars and working well before the full game is released. I don't think the console sim market is ready for another sim with these kinds of issues.

I do have my tyre noise turned right down though Johnny. :

I was normally a bit more aggressive in the first 2 sectors. I reckon it could have been a 49 if a few of the corners were strung together a bit better.

I don't think it's the setup I think it's the new tire model and this car. Even tiny errors that in other cars didn't affect heat much, in this car with this tire model the tires heat up very quickly and grip drops off just as quickly, so the only solution is to be absolutely perfectly smooth and keep temps down. I just watched Aderrrm's video and it seems to support that conclusion as he's super smooth throughout it seems, with very little tire noise or slideways action. I found that even one small mistake on entry and a loss of traction in one corner, was often enough to ruin the rest of the lap.

As an aside, I'm hoping this is the direction they go with the tire model even though it moves the game more away from the casual users in full sim mode, but I suppose that's what turning tire heat off is for:idea: When I got into pc sim racing I was really looking forward to having the added level of complexity of having to manage tire temps and tire wear and so far this hasn't been the case, at least not consistently. PCars is struggling with the whole tire heating issue at the moment, having swung in one direction and then the other in their last couple of patches and it makes the game quite undesirable for me. I really hope Kunos gets this sorted for all cars and working well before the full game is released. I don't think the console sim market is ready for another sim with these kinds of issues.
Seemed really similar to me regarding lines (My sound levels is stock settings), I think I did a reasonable job in middle sector to get decent speed in that sector and be on the right parts of the track to put as least load on the front tyres.

The old tyres on this car though get really hot unlike some of the modern tyres in the game. Maybe higher downforce helps last sector. Could also be shifting difference as you might be able to see it is much more aggressive in shifts on my lap which might put me more on the edge for that sector to get the right line for it due to potentially less grip and maybe I have slightly worse approach to some of them corners. Hard to really understand by looking as no temperatures on Adam's video but seems more front end grip in last sector.

They are always changing things around a lot so will be interesting to see how the tyres on the older cars evolve. I remember the Lotus 98T, that has really high tyre temperatures on the V4 model. :scared:

Thanks fellas, it's hard to believe it's 8 weeks already:dunce:. I really appreciate the steady participation we enjoyed and I thank everyone for turning up as often as they did. It was good fun, every combination seemed to offer a unique challenge and all credit to Kunos for making that possible. The new DLC promises to offer some nice cars and a new track to enjoy for AC Time Attack 3.0. Add in a couple of community tracks and maybe a car or two and it should be very exciting next time around.

IIRC the DLC was announced as Euro7.99 which and I don't think Steam puts much of an exchange rate on that so I assume it'll be $CDN9.99 or less, so we should have at least 7 or 8 prizes to give out. What a stroke of luck that the DLC comes out 2 days after the contest ends:cheers: I'll tally up the points later today and after I get a Canadian price on the DP3 we'll figure out who the winners are.

Don't forget about the discussion thread and if you have any thoughts about the next round, feel free to add them there.

Final Standings

148 - Aderrrm
105 - Brindle
105 - Johnnypenso
96 - Alexd1345
95 - Harry6784
88 - jimipitbull
86 - Wiz
70 - RacingPanda
55 - Saidur_Ali
50 - Sureboss
49 - Ettick
33 - Punknoodle
33 - ECGadget
32 - gm matthew
28 - Gravitron
28 - Whitestar
26 - brian wolf
26 - Chris123
24 - KraylonV
22 - s2173
21 - Stiggy
19 - fatkrakr
8 - ALB123
8 - JvM
5 - Kurei
3 - BayneHamilin1121
2 - Ramalhinho91
1 - TheKitten

Congratulations to Aderrm our overall winner with 148 out of a possible 160 points. Special thanks also to @Aderrrm, @Saidur_Ali, @Harry6784, @RacingPanda, @jimipitbull, and @brian wolf for sharing tunes and/or videos to help us all out, I'm sure we all appreciate it. I would suggest everyone as far down as Ettick sent me a Steam Friend Request as soon as possible.

For those of us that made all of the rounds, these are the total times:

15:07.291 Aderrrm
15:16.359 Johnnypenso
15:18.372 Alexd1345
15:19.671 jimipitbull
15:21.207 Wiz
15:37.597 Punknoodle
15:40.303 ECGadget

Last edited:
Looks like DP3 is out and is $CDN8.79 so that makes 8 prize winners going by the OP. I was going to round it up to 9 but I thought, "let's make it an even 10!!". That means everyone down to and including Ettick.

I'm out working so you'll have to wait until I get home.:( That's usually around 4-5 pm EST but every day is different.

I don't qualify as only did three of the eight challenges. @Gravitron might be next in line as for week 3 there is a typo on his time, should be one second quicker.
I forgot about my own rules:guilty:. No matter, send me the Steam FR anyway, organizer's discretion and all of that:D. Nice spot on the mistaken time, I reworked the numbers and @Gravitron is now the final qualifier.

I'm just heading into Steam now. I have an FR from someone named "Sus". Is that one of you guys? It says Alex but his profile has the Union Jack on it:ouch:

EDIT::odd::odd:
upload_2015-12-15_18-48-26.png

Last edited:
Back