**Acelith Design** steering wheels

I saw that they make a G27 steering wheel too, and i'm seriously thinking of buying it, shame there's only one type though.

G27MOD-04_590x.jpg

But damn, it looks good.

Got it in!

Time to start filing then ill apply it

Got it sanded down. It already feels a lot better on my thumb just to hold.

Gotta run out to get bbq (Kansas city woot woot) then ill be back later to run some laps without tape. Then we'll see if I need to add some

Attachments

• 20200728_164313.jpg
    20200728_164313.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 20200728_174713.jpg
    20200728_174713.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
So obviously i didnt get to work on the wheel anymore because my buddy wanted to watch the Hungarian F1 race, so i rewatched it with him. And there went my night. Fml

Tonight im staying in and telling the gf to take a hike so i can have some alone time.

Being an adult can be tedious at times.

I finally got my rim trimmed inside the thumb holes (wide thumbs) and wrapped with bicycle handle bar tape. Which is much more comfortable than i thought it would be.

I filed away a little more than in the picture. Its essentially flush at that point with no raised edge. I also rounded the whole grip so there was no sharp angle there anymore where the thumb rests.

Pretty comfortable. Definitely much better than when i first got it.

Attachments

• 20200730_182422.jpg
    20200730_182422.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 103
  • 20200730_182416.jpg
    20200730_182416.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 20200728_174713.jpg
    20200728_174713.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 99
Do u not unscrew the srews at the back (behind pedals) to remove your rim?

Ohh yeah, i did. There are two screw behind the paddles that screw into the back of the 599xx rim. I just screwed them back into that rim after i took it off.

The new rim does not have any holes for those screws. Just the 6 on the front.

Is it just the pictures or are some of the button holes slightly large?

I'm interested in the Mc GT3 for T300RS but it's a tough sell, the carbon version is €120 posted to UK, and if I want alcantara covering probably closer to €190 - and that's just for the rim. Even the steel version would be €150 with alcantara delivered to UK. Or I could go steel plate and grip tape for €80 which is the only price point that makes sense to me, given I could buy a thrustmaster open wheel rim for £120 when they come back into stock. I'm all for supporting small businesses but they just can't compete with bigger business on economies of scale

Is it just the pictures or are some of the button holes slightly large?

I'm interested in the Mc GT3 for T300RS but it's a tough sell, the carbon version is €120 posted to UK, and if I want alcantara covering probably closer to €190 - and that's just for the rim. Even the steel version would be €150 with alcantara delivered to UK. Or I could go steel plate and grip tape for €80 which is the only price point that makes sense to me, given I could buy a thrustmaster open wheel rim for £120 when they come back into stock. I'm all for supporting small businesses but they just can't compete with bigger business on economies of scale

Which holes

Carbon version is a waste of money. Just get the steel and wrap it.

I had to enlarge the thumb hokes so i i wouldn't even think about having then wrap it for me just in case its not as comfortable as id like it

Which holes

Carbon version is a waste of money. Just get the steel and wrap it.

I had to enlarge the thumb hokes so i i wouldn't even think about having then wrap it for me just in case its not as comfortable as id like it

Not your wheel but the SE / ST / R2 / L2 holes look a bit loose.
Yeah you're right, the CF is a needless extravagance, I don't know how significant the weight difference is between the steel and ali version is on FFB. And given your experience (you have the wheel that I'm looking at) then maybe I will want the edges rounded. Surprised this post processing work is required given these parts are 3D printed, so should be very straightforward to change, it's not like you need to change expensive tooling or anything[/QUOTE]

Not your wheel but the SE / ST / R2 / L2 holes look a bit loose.
Yeah you're right, the CF is a needless extravagance, I don't know how significant the weight difference is between the steel and ali version is on FFB. And given your experience (you have the wheel that I'm looking at) then maybe I will want the edges rounded. Surprised this post processing work is required given these parts are 3D printed, so should be very straightforward to change, it's not like you need to change expensive tooling or anything
[/QUOTE]

And I don't have super large fingers. I wear medium gloves for mechanix and large for nitrile when working on the car.

I just have wide thumbs at the joint.

And i just dont see why they raised that inner edge in the thumb hole. The should've left it level, the way i got it filed down.

Then i took strips of sandpaper and smoothed over the radius so its round and doesnt have an edges.

I got an update this morning, my plate is on its way back to Acelith after being trimmed, and should be shipped to me soon :)

I got an update this morning, my plate is on its way back to Acelith after being trimmed, and should be shipped to me soon :)

How much does it cost to trim?

My birthday is coming up, and I think one of these rims is getting closer...!

Checked the order the cost of leather trimming was 65 euros.

Not cheap, i would have to know that the wheel fit my hands perfectly before spending that

Considering i had to trim my GT3 wheel. As it was very uncomfortable on my thumbs. Even the gf disliked it before i got the files out and shaped it to my liking

Ordered mine a few weeks ago. I specifically choose this wheel due to the fact the thumbs where not surrounded by metal. As you can see surgery was needed to save the patient. The thumb positioning and gap opening from padded handle to the metal was to small, The side of my thumb's were pressed against the metal on the inside of the wheel. I could not slide my thumbs up and away from the wheel.

The operation appears to have solved the issue. The patient should make a full recovery. Hopefully have everything assembled and mounted in the next few days. Only then will determine if the patient is on the road to recovery or the morgue.

wheel 1.jpg
wheel.jpg

Ordered mine a few weeks ago. I specifically choose this wheel due to the fact the thumbs where not surrounded by metal. As you can see surgery was needed to save the patient. The thumb positioning and gap opening from padded handle to the metal was to small, The side of my thumb's were pressed against the metal on the inside of the wheel. I could not slide my thumbs up and away from the wheel.

The operation appears to have solved the issue. The patient should make a full recovery. Hopefully have everything assembled and mounted in the next few days. Only then will determine if the patient is on the road to recovery or the morgue.

View attachment 947545 View attachment 947546

Im glad im not the only one who had to resort to surgery to make my thumbs fit

You should email them with the pictures so that maybe they can open up the holes on future models so this doesnt remain an issue.

60 odd euros :boggled: but I believe they have stopped doing the leather now...
This is an email reply I got from them regarding shipping to Australia and the Leather trim...

''Hello!

It's Andrea again.

As soon as we do, we'll do a post on facebook so I suggest you to follow us there :)

In September will also be available the leather handle coating service for many models :)

Best regards.''

... so it's only a temporary thing. :)

I have ordered the std GT3 rim for my T300RS. The guys are on a break right now so probably looking at late Aug / early Sept before it arrives. Went for the aluminium plate option and I'll put tennis grip tape on it as I have a couple spare rolls already.

Rendert300mercedes-02_1080x.jpg

I actually prefer the larger look of the Mc GT3 rim slightly but the thumb holes do look a bit smaller in that one so hopefully I won't need to modify this one, plus less material means it's a touch lighter (though the difference in weight between the two designs is <30g in steel, so will be even more negligible in aluminium)

I have ordered the std GT3 rim for my T300RS. The guys are on a break right now so probably looking at late Aug / early Sept before it arrives. Went for the aluminium plate option and I'll put tennis grip tape on it as I have a couple spare rolls already.

View attachment 948780

I actually prefer the larger look of the Mc GT3 rim slightly but the thumb holes do look a bit smaller in that one so hopefully I won't need to modify this one, plus less material means it's a touch lighter (though the difference in weight between the two designs is <30g in steel, so will be even more negligible in aluminium)

I noticed that after i got my McLaren rim as well. The thumb holes look better shaped for sure.

Im sure it'll be great! Make sure you post up some pictures when it arrives.

Looks great! Hope it's not uncomfortable to use tho...

It is good to use, the sharp piece seems to be stitching maybe a knot or where the thread is cut, when using it mounted on the wheel base my fingers don't come close to it. I have small hands so I don't actually place a thumb through the hole, just rest them in the hollow, nothing sharp or pointy in that area for me

The plastic grips bellow the leather are pretty hard, it would be nice if they had a little give, I guess this isn't so much of a problem if some grip tape is used. It might get a little uncomfortable doing an hour long stint, something I have to try at some point this week...

I am tempted to seal the edge of the Carbon Fibre plate with super glue (habit from racing RC Touring Cars), it shouldn't de-laminate in this application though.

Strange how much visibility I have now that I am not peering over the round rim. :eek:

Overall happy with the product, should I buy another I think I'd probably forgo the leather. 👍

Ah OK good stuff.
Yeah I have some tennis tape but as I ordered some cycling gloves for simracing (nice and thin) I also ordered some handlebar tape which is a bit more padded so I can try both out.

I'm looking forward to not have to peer under/over my wheel rim to see the info behind!

Last edited:
Just found this thread and coincidentally the F1 wheel for the G29 will be back in stock on 8/24. Does anybody have experience with that wheel hub specifically? Also for those that wrapped their wheels with bike or tennis grip tape - how much material did you end up using? Lizard Skins has grip tapes for baseball and hockey that are as thin as .5mm and they're pretty cheap. The only issue I can think of is that you only get 39 inches/990mm worth of material compared to the 83inches/2100mm of bike grip linked earlier in the thread.

https://www.lizardskins.com/personalized-bat-grips?h=dsp-bat-grip-tangerine&c=bat_grip&t=solid&v=0

Just found this thread and coincidentally the F1 wheel for the G29 will be back in stock on 8/24. Does anybody have experience with that wheel hub specifically? Also for those that wrapped their wheels with bike or tennis grip tape - how much material did you end up using? Lizard Skins has grip tapes for baseball and hockey that are as thin as .5mm and they're pretty cheap. The only issue I can think of is that you only get 39 inches/990mm worth of material compared to the 83inches/2100mm of bike grip linked earlier in the thread.

https://www.lizardskins.com/personalized-bat-grips?h=dsp-bat-grip-tangerine&c=bat_grip&t=solid&v=0

Im using this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074F2RNDD/?tag=gtplanet-20

It comes with 2 rolls. Wrapping both handles took just under one roll to finish.

Attachments

• 20200730_182416.jpg
    20200730_182416.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 40
Back