**Acelith Design** steering wheels

IMG_20200824_085720.jpg
Finally arrived....

My wheel has arrived!
Going to pick it up from my parents later today. Have ended up with 3 options for tape to try out: thin tennis overgrip, padded bike handlebar tape, and a semi-fuzzy chamois leather overgrip for hockey.

I think the bike stuff will be too thick, most likely end up with the leather wrap

Edit : this is the one I went for. I sanded down the handles a bit and had a go at the grip. The handlebar tape is too thick and not stretchy enoug , so I'll go for the chamois leather wrap. It does mean that I'll have a different colour each side as I don't have enough in one colour for both...

20200826_231039.jpg

Last edited:
Did it include the red ps switch? I have the Ferrari Alcantara and it's quite different looking from yours and what is shown on the website.

No i bought the red PS switch online. I hated how small it was and tricky to grab quickly so i got a bigger one on ebay i think. The plastic one just pulls straight off.

The one i have has a set screw, so just slide it on and tighten the screw down.

Here's the link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20x15-5mm-...uitar-AMP-Potentiometer-Cap-6mm-/223511945184

OK I'm done, the bike handlebar tape was way too thick, but the chamois leather is perfect - thin but also slightly soft and a little stretchy for the corners.

Took me a little time to figure out the best route to wrap the handles , and even longer to get both sides the same, but I'm pretty happy. Just need to decide if I'm going to order more now that I know it's good, and make both sides the same.

I sanded down the handles a little just to smooth them out from printing, probably doesn't make much difference if wrapping but I had time so why not.
Feels great, and it's really nice to be able to see all of the screen now!

20200827_141524.jpg

20200827_144025.jpg

OK I'm done, the bike handlebar tape was way too thick, but the chamois leather is perfect - thin but also slightly soft and a little stretchy for the corners.

Took me a little time to figure out the best route to wrap the handles , and even longer to get both sides the same, but I'm pretty happy. Just need to decide if I'm going to order more now that I know it's good, and make both sides the same.

I sanded down the handles a little just to smooth them out from printing, probably doesn't make much difference if wrapping but I had time so why not.
Feels great, and it's really nice to be able to see all of the screen now!

View attachment 952815
View attachment 952816

Is the leather padded at all? Or just flat? The thing i like about the bike tape im using is that its slightly padded so its "squishy" to the touch

It's just flat but it doesn't feel solid, because it's fuzzy there is a slight softness in the material. It's about 1.5mm thick and most areas have at least 2 if not 3 layers so actually there is quite a nice amount of squish still on there. Not as much as with the foam style bike tape of course (which I have now put on my handbrake!) but similar to the 599xx alcantara wheel I have and much more comfy than just the plastic grip.

The bike tape felt nice but to get good coverage I needed to go round the rim several times, it would have been 6-8mm thick in places!! :crazy:

Last edited:
It's just flat but it doesn't feel solid, because it's fuzzy there is a slight softness in the material. It's about 1mm thick and most areas have at least 2 if not 3 layers so actually there is quite a nice amount of squish still on there. Not as much as with the foam style bike tape of course (which I have now put on my handbrake!) but similar to the 599xx alcantara wheel I have and much more comfy than just the plastic grip.

The bike tape felt nice but to get good coverage I needed to go round the rim several times, it would have been 6-8mm thick in places!! :crazy:

I really wanted to replicate the feel of my 599xx rim but i have no idea what the under layer is made of. Some sort of rubber or urethane in sure. God it feels good

Wish i could get my Acelith rim to feel that good! I might rewrap it so its thicker. The handles are a little on the thin side.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and test out the bat grip tape. $20 shipped from Lizard Skins for 2 rolls @ .5mm thick - I feel like one roll might be able to get it done, but I'm gonna play it safe. I purchased the F1 style G29 wheel on 8/24 and it's already out of Italy and into Germany as of this morning.

I went with orange, number 20, and the McLaren logo for the center hub. I just need to decide which shade of blue to wrap the handles.
G29Orange_Tavoladisegno1_1024x1024.jpg

media_632518cc-1af0-488b-bbe2-212bf1974f95_600x600.png
media_7411637f-a5f0-45a7-a07a-bb03dfdafddc_600x600.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-28_8-35-27.png
    upload_2020-8-28_8-35-27.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 11
I think I'm going to bite the bullet and test out the bat grip tape. $20 shipped from Lizard Skins for 2 rolls @ .5mm thick - I feel like one roll might be able to get it done, but I'm gonna play it safe. I purchased the F1 style G29 wheel on 8/24 and it's already out of Italy and into Germany as of this morning.

I went with orange, number 20, and the McLaren logo for the center hub. I just need to decide which shade of blue to wrap the handles.
G29Orange_Tavoladisegno1_1024x1024.jpg

media_632518cc-1af0-488b-bbe2-212bf1974f95_600x600.png
media_7411637f-a5f0-45a7-a07a-bb03dfdafddc_600x600.png
I found that to fully cover the handles - I didn't want any black showing through - I needed to use quite a lot of tape, which is why it worked out well that I had quite a thin material .
However I went away from the tennis grip that I had as it was a tacky finish that I didn't want. Pete Sampras favourite tourna-grip might have been better but I'm pretty happy with the leather grip tape I have despite the funny colours, it should last a lot longer too

I found that to fully cover the handles - I didn't want any black showing through - I needed to use quite a lot of tape, which is why it worked out well that I had quite a thin material .
However I went away from the tennis grip that I had as it was a tacky finish that I didn't want. Pete Sampras favourite tourna-grip might have been better but I'm pretty happy with the leather grip tape I have despite the funny colours, it should last a lot longer too

I was actually heavily considering the Tourna grips since they seem like they'd fit this application well. If this bat grip back fires on me (I'm really hoping it doesn't and wraps smoothly around all the contours) I might go with the leather grip you used. Regardless of the colors, I like the way yours turned out and it sounds pretty comfortable to me.

I was actually heavily considering the Tourna grips since they seem like they'd fit this application well. If this bat grip back fires on me (I'm really hoping it doesn't and wraps smoothly around all the contours) I might go with the leather grip you used. Regardless of the colors, I like the way yours turned out and it sounds pretty comfortable to me.
I just did 2 hours on ACC with the new wheel rim, it feels great!! Maybe slightly less padded actually then the 599xx alcantara but no problem for me at all, still very comfy 👍

So the wheel arrived yesterday and it's awesome - quality is exactly what I was hoping for. It actually showed up a little faster than I expected and I didn't want to wait on the Lizard Skins shipping so I went to my local sporting goods store instead. Unfortunately they didn't have enough of the .5mm bat tape, but they did have enough of the .5mm hockey tape. The hockey stuff has a slightly different texture pattern but I didn't really feel a difference between the actual material itself which was good enough for me.

no stickers.jpg

wheel w materials.jpg

And final product (still need to add the accessory stickers)
wheel.jpg

You'll notice that the wrap doesn't look symmetrical at all. I practiced wrapping it several times and it was not easy to get right. The tape comes with a thick paper covering over the adhesive (the adhesive is obviously pretty strong given it's application). So after a certain point I decided I had to just go for it and hope it worked out. I didn't do a very good job of getting the adhesive tucked up under the middle part of the left handle (you can see the big wrinkle there) but the top was totally fine. I ended up trimming some excess off and finished the top and bottoms with electrical tape. Even though the material is only .5mm thick, you would not want to go around a second time. The right side obviously went much better. I took a sharper angle up the handle which helped me avoid the wrinkling issue from the first wrap. Again, I trimmed excess material and capped off the top and bottom. Thankfully you can't feel the wrinkle on the left side and when gripping the wheel everything is comfortable and feels identical... it's just a little ugly.

Pros:
-The grip is going to be awesome. I don't think any amount of sweat will let these things slip and if you use gloves I'm sure it will feel like the wheel is glued to your hands.
-Price is solid. It's about $10 per roll which I feel like isn't terrible. So $20 out the door isn't awful given the quality of what you're buying.
-Looks great (if you don't suck at wrapping like me). There are a ton of color options from neon to tie dye to camo so you can really tailor the wrap to your personal style.

Cons:
-I found it a little difficult to work with. As mentioned earlier, the thick paper tape makes practice wraps difficult. While you can definitely pull the wrap up if you make a mistake, I was afraid to completely undo it and retry.
-Price is also a con. While not terribly expensive, you're going to need two rolls because you're getting less material overall compared to the other wraps that have been linked in this thread.
-Not enough material if you mess up. I would love to rip up and start over on the left handle but I'd need a third roll. At that point I would have spent more money on the wrapping materials than I did shipping from Italy to the US.

I'm hoping to have the wheel mounted up tonight and I'll try to do some testing in GT Sport and F1 2020.

Last edited:
I thought about a camo wrap, it might help disguise the edges of the tape !
I found the wrapping difficult too, it took an hour to figure out the correct route (with the backing paper on) and remember it correctly to be able to do it with the adhesive exposed.

Are you using gloves? Otherwise the exposed part in the centre might get uncomfortable during a long race? Glad you're pleased with it tho 👍

I thought about a camo wrap, it might help disguise the edges of the tape !
I found the wrapping difficult too, it took an hour to figure out the correct route (with the backing paper on) and remember it correctly to be able to do it with the adhesive exposed.

Are you using gloves? Otherwise the exposed part in the centre might get uncomfortable during a long race? Glad you're pleased with it tho 👍

When I hold the wheel and pretend to turn it like I would if it were attached I don't notice the exposed parts. That may not be the case once I actually test it but luckily I have enough extra material that I should be able to come up with something to cover those spots. If I can't come to a good solution I have some driving gloves I can always throw on, but I'm feeling confident in what I have so far.

I’ve been on the fence about ordering an Acelith wheel and noticed today that they have added wheel coverings as an option (leather or alcantara) and you can choose the stitching color, for a few of the GT3 T300 wheels. That was enough to convince me to go ahead and pick one up.

Handle covering adds an additional 2-3 week production time (plus costs more than the wheel itself) I’m in the US, and will post info/pictures once I receive the wheel!

I’ve been on the fence about ordering an Acelith wheel and noticed today that they have added wheel coverings as an option (leather or alcantara) and you can choose the stitching color, for a few of the GT3 T300 wheels. That was enough to convince me to go ahead and pick one up.

Handle covering adds an additional 2-3 week production time (plus costs more than the wheel itself) I’m in the US, and will post info/pictures once I receive the wheel!

What covering did you go with? I wonder if they add any sort of soft under layer to it? sort of like the 599xx wheel has.

What covering did you go with? I wonder if they add any sort of soft under layer to it? sort of like the 599xx wheel has.

I thought about going with leather, but all of my other rims are Alcantara, and I’m already used to wearing gloves so I went with alcantara and red stitching.

Im not expecting much if any padding. I bet it will feel like my thrustmaster P310 rim. But would not complain about being pleasantly surprised!

I thought about going with leather, but all of my other rims are Alcantara, and I’m already used to wearing gloves so I went with alcantara and red stitching.

Im not expecting much if any padding. I bet it will feel like my thrustmaster P310 rim. But would not complain about being pleasantly surprised!

You'll have to keep us posted. Excited to see the finish

I ordered some more chamois leather grip, I went on top of the previous grip so it's a bit more chunky than before but seems to fit me my hands well - I'll give it a proper go tonight. I can always undo the tape and remove the bottom layer if it's too thick.

This time, they sent a tape without any adhesive backing, which actually makes it easier to wrap (you just go around the first bit at the start and the overlap and friction keeps it in place). I just used some double sided tape right at the very end to stick it down (on the back side of the rim so not in view and not on a part of the wheel that gets used). So I'm happy that I could avoid finishing it with electrical tape which spoils the look a bit

Took me another 2 hours to get the route correct and then each side symmetrical but am very happy with the look and feel. Plus the tape is flexible and stretchy enough that it goes round complex corners without creasing. Especially as I got the tape for under £2! I'm time rich but cash poor at the mo...

20200909_160907.jpg
20200909_160928.jpg

Last edited:
I got an update that my order has been prepared to be picked up by the shipping company, so about 10 days from the order to having it wrapped. Not too bad.

We'll see how fast it arrives to me in the US. Anyone here have one shipped to the US? Did you end up with any Customs fees?

Wraps without adhesive are the way to go like @John G commented 2 posts up due to the ease of application (and re-application when you make changes during the wrapping process). Instead of double sided tape to start and stop, please consider using Shoe Goo. That’s not misspelled! Everyone should have a tube of this stuff. If you’re not familiar with it, you’re missing out on one of the best multi-purpose products available. I’ve always used clear but seems it comes in black too. It dries flexible but on stiff end of that spectrum. Expect to pay $5
E8FF7E68-F631-4B14-96CE-A66334C994F1.jpeg

I got an update that my order has been prepared to be picked up by the shipping company, so about 10 days from the order to having it wrapped. Not too bad.

We'll see how fast it arrives to me in the US. Anyone here have one shipped to the US? Did you end up with any Customs fees?

I got mine shipped to kansas. Took about 3 weeks. No fees, just shipping cost.

I saw on FB that Acelith are making new soft touch grips for their F1 style wheels. They look pretty nice and they also can be ordered separately for anyone that wants to put them on an F1 style wheel they already have 👍

FB_IMG_1600130015627.jpg

Back