Advice Thread: What Is Wrong With Me?

How Not to Start a Race From Pole

Was I too nervous / cautious into 1 or was it all on the rammer from behind? (the video should be timestamped) I think personally my foot was stuck on the brake pedal because of the pressure #crumbledLikeACookie

What was your reasoning for taking up the middle of the race track?

It looks like you chose a blocking line for the first lap, braked early, got startled by the inside driver, and then took up the real estate in the middle to get rear ended. The 2nd place car on the outside appeared to be running a hot lap line right up your backside not expecting you to be in lane 2 from the inside once you turned in.

Had you committed to the turn you would have had the apex and you would have gone two wide into turn one, probably losing the apex to turn 2. I feel for the second place guy since he's got an entire pack of people behind him so I can't really blame him for running a fast line on you but he gave himself very little in the way of choices, for that scenario.

Yeah, you braked way to hard and early. Also, on that turn, it's best to hug the outside right, then you can come down the first part on the left before turning right to get a good line to point forwards out of T2 and onto 3.

What was your reasoning for taking up the middle of the race track?

It looks like you chose a blocking line for the first lap, braked early, got startled by the inside driver, and then took up the real estate in the middle to get rear ended. The 2nd place car on the outside appeared to be running a hot lap line right up your backside not expecting you to be in lane 2 from the inside once you turned in.

Had you committed to the turn you would have had the apex and you would have gone two wide into turn one, probably losing the apex to turn 2. I feel for the second place guy since he's got an entire pack of people behind him so I can't really blame him for running a fast line on you but he gave himself very little in the way of choices, for that scenario.

I put myself where I did because I didn't want to go right on the inside, but wanted to leave room for anyone how was diving at the apex. I just totally misjudged the speed and braking spot going into turn 1. I picked the same spot I had in previous races on lap 1, but I guess forgot to factor in that being at the front means you've not got as much of a run, therefore you're not going as fast, therefore you brake later.

I'm by no means angry I got rammed from behind, it's what I deserved for driving like a complete moron and being too scared to commit into 1

Yeah, you braked way to hard and early. Also, on that turn, it's best to hug the outside right, then you can come down the first part on the left before turning right to get a good line to point forwards out of T2 and onto 3.

Yes, that's the normal racing line, but I'm wary of taking that line on lap 1, as it can be seen as some as an invitation to dive on your inside which can cause a whole host of other issues

Last edited by a moderator:
I just totally misjudged the speed and braking spot going into turn 1. I picked the same spot I had in previous races on lap 1, but I guess forgot to factor in that being at the front means you've not got as much of a run
I did the same thing, although starting further back, I braked as if it were a qualifying lap... doh :)

Yes, that's the normal racing line, but I'm wary of taking that line on lap 1, as it can be seen as some as an invitation to dive on your inside which can cause a whole host of other issues

Yeah, fair enough.. In which case, yep you just misjudged your approach speed :) thew other guy was going way too fast though

Rather than float in the middle you can run on the outside and then slowly fade to the middle as you approach your braking point. This could have possibly caused the outside car to follow your line and possibly scared off the inside car if he saw two leading cars coming down to seemingly block his inside line.

Another option is to take the outside, late brake towards the apex, leave room for an inside car, run two wide and steal the apex for turn 2 securing the lead onto the straight.

OK so rather than putting a question about my "race craft", I'm kind of looking for some tips on how I can up my lap time. I was racing Dragontrail last night on the dailies and eventually managed to put a 1:39:5 in, but I was still about a second off pole position. I believe that I lose a lot of time at the first left hand bend in Sector 2, but I'm not sure how else I could have approached it. Below is the live-stream which I've timestamped at the lap before my best. Unfortunately the stream dropped momentarily on my fastest lap, which is why I've provided 2 laps here. Any feedback is greatfully appreciated :D

OK so rather than putting a question about my "race craft", I'm kind of looking for some tips on how I can up my lap time. I was racing Dragontrail last night on the dailies and eventually managed to put a 1:39:5 in, but I was still about a second off pole position. I believe that I lose a lot of time at the first left hand bend in Sector 2, but I'm not sure how else I could have approached it. Below is the live-stream which I've timestamped at the lap before my best. Unfortunately the stream dropped momentarily on my fastest lap, which is why I've provided 2 laps here. Any feedback is greatfully appreciated :D

I'd like to see the qualifying lap itself, if you've saved it :)
Also, I couldn't see exactly where the two laps are... Can you reference me to the timestamp? Thanks :cheers:

I'd like to see the qualifying lap itself, if you've saved it :)
Also, I couldn't see exactly where the two laps are... Can you reference me to the timestamp? Thanks :cheers:

I was streaming directly to YouTube, so I don't have a full copy of the lap. The video should start at the right place in the post above as I time-stamped it where the first lap starts, but it's at 1:19:40. As I mentioned, the 2nd is the fastest lap, but is the one straight the first. The only reason it was quicker is because I messed the Chicane up first time around, so the first is as good a reference as any

I was streaming directly to YouTube, so I don't have a full copy of the lap. The video should start at the right place in the post above as I time-stamped it where the first lap starts, but it's at 1:19:40. As I mentioned, the 2nd is the fastest lap, but is the one straight the first. The only reason it was quicker is because I messed the Chicane up first time around, so the first is as good a reference as any
Sadly the timestamp didn't register for me :( but thanks for pointing it out
Ok so here are my thoughts:
At Turn 1 you can turn in much tighter than you already are, ideally your 2 inside wheels are inside the curb. This way you can give the car a straighter line going into Turn 2, which would be very beneficial since I can see that your car is unsettled going through there and would probably spin out if it weren't for TCS (I watched the lap before as well and this happened on both occassions). Try to also use all of the track upon exit because you're at the middle rather than by the curbs. At T3 you can take it flat out- try turning in earlier :)
T4 is also a case of turning in too late. You're gonna want to have 2 wheels on the curbing on the inside. Your exit is also sub-par; in the middle of the track again. By going to the outside line, you're giving the car a straighter line and therefore can get on the power earlier.
T5-7 (the left-right-left) I cannot give any feedback because I base my racing line around there purely on my speed and not markers, really. And since I use kp/h I cannot give your speed through there an analogy to mine. It looks good to me though, the line itself is correct :)
T8 you can brake much later than what the cones say, as far as in between the 100 and 50m board. And again, the turn-in is a little bit too late and you didn't get the car quite at the apex, and again your exit is sub-par by being at the middle of the track.
The bus stop chicane you can go through there with a simple lift and no brakes. Although, my only advice around there is practice, practice, and practice. It's a hellish chicane that really needs to be known through instinct more than calculation
The final turn you pinned the turn-in correctly, but you can tuck your car further up into the apex. And again th the exit is sub-par

Looking at the advice I just gave it seems like the two running problems you have are late turn-ins and sub-par exits. Even if you just focus on those I think you can shave another 5/10ths off your lap time on Dragon Trail. Hope this helps :)

Sadly the timestamp didn't register for me :( but thanks for pointing it out
Ok so here are my thoughts:
At Turn 1 you can turn in much tighter than you already are, ideally your 2 inside wheels are inside the curb. This way you can give the car a straighter line going into Turn 2, which would be very beneficial since I can see that your car is unsettled going through there and would probably spin out if it weren't for TCS (I watched the lap before as well and this happened on both occassions). Try to also use all of the track upon exit because you're at the middle rather than by the curbs. At T3 you can take it flat out- try turning in earlier :)
T4 is also a case of turning in too late. You're gonna want to have 2 wheels on the curbing on the inside. Your exit is also sub-par; in the middle of the track again. By going to the outside line, you're giving the car a straighter line and therefore can get on the power earlier.
T5-7 (the left-right-left) I cannot give any feedback because I base my racing line around there purely on my speed and not markers, really. And since I use kp/h I cannot give your speed through there an analogy to mine. It looks good to me though, the line itself is correct :)
T8 you can brake much later than what the cones say, as far as in between the 100 and 50m board. And again, the turn-in is a little bit too late and you didn't get the car quite at the apex, and again your exit is sub-par by being at the middle of the track.
The bus stop chicane you can go through there with a simple lift and no brakes. Although, my only advice around there is practice, practice, and practice. It's a hellish chicane that really needs to be known through instinct more than calculation
The final turn you pinned the turn-in correctly, but you can tuck your car further up into the apex. And again th the exit is sub-par

Looking at the advice I just gave it seems like the two running problems you have are late turn-ins and sub-par exits. Even if you just focus on those I think you can shave another 5/10ths off your lap time on Dragon Trail. Hope this helps :)

Thanks for taking the time to analyze :cheers:

It's more of turn-in earlier, so he can hit the apex in the first place
Late turn-ins for late apexes is a good racing line, but in this case it's a bit too late that he misses the apex

I think I lost some skill in the last week.
I was happy with my 1:37.9, until I saw the leaderboard and gave up for the night. I don’t know... maybe it’s because I was using the Porsche, and it looked like nobody else was using it in this track..

Educate me on Gr.2

Basically
GTR: A Lancer Gr. 3 on steroids
NSX: An NSX Gr. 3 of steroids
RC F: An Atenza Gr. 4 with thrice the amount of steroids
edit: oh I thought this is the video and screenshots thread. Sorry I'll follow up on a more serious post in a while

Educate me on Gr.2

I never tried Gr.2, but I can see one thing, apart from a place you lost some balance in the second half of the lap. T5.
That turn is really important. The sooner you can get back on throttle, the better, because it ends on an uphill section. You’re going too tight. Stay more on the left slowly turn in. Every turn is important, but this track has 2 places where I usually get nervous to get it right. The T5 and the hairpin. Getting uphill if you got the turn wrong and have no exit speed feels like eternity!

This is a lap I did some time ago in the Gr.3 Alfa Romeo. I know it’s different, but at least the line should be about the same.

Last edited:
Educate me on Gr.2

I think just generally more confidence with committing speed to each corner and getting back on the throttle sooner. More commitment will work the car harder so you can set up the required rotation to enable you to do that on the exits. Confidence comes from knowing where the car is going to be long before you have committed it to a corner, and this is why I have been banging on forever on this forum about why assists are a bad thing, because over time, you have to get into the habit of doing this because the assists aren't there to save you. This applies to driving in real life too.

Also take much more speed into T1 and let the car run out wide and let direction change enable you to then carry that extra speed on the way in, even though your entry will be much tighter.

Porsche cant ride curbs like many other cars on dragon. My best was 1:37.090

And this is really funny because in real life Porsche is the BEST in terms of riding curbs.One of the two advantages Porsche has (the other is racing under rain) but yet PD has another "opinion" on this matter.

Educate me on Gr.2

Here's the in-depth review:
T1: You can go later at the brakes, around the halfway point of the two meter boards
T2: Since you're going for a wide entry line into T2, you can get some more throttle going there, just lightly tap the brake
T3: It's taken flat out
T4: You can take the brakes later, and you can also turn in much more. You can cut really really badly in this corner, so go for it. You can also wash wide beyond the curbs, so don't worry lifting off if you feel like you're gonna go over them
T5/6: You can take a wider entry through a later turn-in, and by being braver on the throttle on exit you can wash wide and use all of the track
T7/8/9: You don't have to apply brakes; just a simple lift would suffice going into turn 7. 8 and 9 still flat out using this line :)
T10/11: Perfect
T12: You can have more confidence on the throttle on exit. Don't be afraid to use all the track
T13/14: These turns are flat out, but I think you already know and just wasn't able to do this since you momentarily lost control of the car.
T15/16: You can brake later, as well as lighter. Trail brake all the way to the apex of T15, then apply throttle and use all of the track to set yourself up for a wide entry on T16. Entry on this turn is just a simply lift like you did, but you can be a bit more confident on the throttle again on exit
T17: Just like T15, you can brake later and lighter by braking all the way to the apex. You can smoothly mash the throttle when you hit the apex to use all of the track outside

I think just generally more confidence with committing speed to each corner and getting back on the throttle sooner. More commitment will work the car harder so you can set up the required rotation to enable you to do that on the exits. Confidence comes from knowing where the car is going to be long before you have committed it to a corner, and this is why I have been banging on forever on this forum about why assists are a bad thing, because over time, you have to get into the habit of doing this because the assists aren't there to save you. This applies to driving in real life too.

Also take much more speed into T1 and let the car run out wide and let direction change enable you to then carry that extra speed on the way in, even though your entry will be much tighter.
Thanks for the advice, although I don't use any assists.

Back