Aggressive driving in Sport Mode.

• Thread starter kilesa4568
  • 219 comments
It sounds scary with the current standard of driving but once people get used to the consequences of damage, it should transform the racing.👍👍

Here's a thought. Damage can be used as a type of time penalty so how about getting rid of the current inconsistent penalty system? PD have flogged the dead horse to mincemeat and they're still nowhere near a decent, consistent system.

Keep track limit penalties (allowing more leeway for running an inch or two wide) and remove penalties for contact?
The only ones who are gonna suffer are those trying to race clean.
Here's an example: who gets more damage, a guy that t-bones another driver and gets away with it or the poor sod that got his car cut in half, dug in gravel and now has to tow until pit?

Bumper damage is usually not critical, while any side/corner hits are. I can already see it: takes out few cars, gets away with minor damage, burns off few seconds of penalty he got, podium.

The plaerbase, bar the top crop, has become insanely toxic lately. They'll exploit anything to get a win, rubbin' is racin' innit?

The only ones who are gonna suffer are those trying to race clean.
Here's an example: who gets more damage, a guy that t-bones another driver and gets away with it or the poor sod that got his car cut in half, dug in gravel and now has to tow until pit?

Bumper damage is usually not critical, while any side/corner hits are. I can already see it: takes out few cars, gets away with minor damage, burns off few seconds of penalty he got, podium.

The plaerbase, bar the top crop, has become insanely toxic lately. They'll exploit anything to get a win, rubbin' is racin' innit?

We need to see how it plays out first.

I think the people you're describing will find it harder to maintain rank if they can't race how they usually do while maintaining their own car's health though. At least I hope so.

We need to see how it plays out first.

I think the people you're describing will find it harder to maintain rank if they can't race how they usually do while maintaining their own car's health though. At least I hope so.

One flaw in your reasoning, the people he's describing don't care about rank, only about winning at all cost. Damage won't stop nudging people into a wall or simply pushing the out. A lost mirror won't stop anyone.

My experience with full damage lobbies in GT5 was, lobby dies quickly.

I fail to see how damage could be a solution. It would be like the russian roulette in the lower ranks. In a grid of 20 people it only takes one guy to troll a bunch of people with a T1 divebomb. Just the one fact alone that a troll can completely take you out of the race is depressing. This works in real life because of sanctions and ramifications stipulated by the social contract. Not so much in a video game.

One flaw in your reasoning, the people he's describing don't care about rank, only about winning at all cost. Damage won't stop nudging people into a wall or simply pushing the out. A lost mirror won't stop anyone.

Based on how it is now, you're right. Based on 3 months down the line and numerous pit repairs later, I think it could alter a lot of peoples driving habits.

Based on how it is now, you're right. Based on 3 months down the line and numerous pit repairs later, I think it could alter a lot of peoples driving habits.

Maybe. Let's start with getting rid of penalty scrubbing with mandatory pit stops to serve the time. Same effect, except that there is a bigger chance penalties will affect the aggressor worse than the victim.

Harsher penalties did alter peoples driving habits for a while, however PD toned down the penalties so much all the progress that was made has been undone. Only problem was penalties being served in the race on the racing line creating more accidents.

Maybe. Let's start with getting rid of penalty scrubbing with mandatory pit stops to serve the time. Same effect, except that there is a bigger chance penalties will affect the aggressor worse than the victim.

Harsher penalties did alter peoples driving habits for a while, however PD toned down the penalties so much all the progress that was made has been undone. Only problem was penalties being served in the race on the racing line creating more accidents.
There's no point in any more tinkering with this conceptually failing system*. The base is that it can not make the difference between the aggressor and the victim properly. From there on, anything is just minor cosmetical changes, not solution.

*from the aspect of adult simracing. As I wrote earlier, from the aspect of their business, being a wide playground for gaming kids, it is just works good. A little adjustment here, a shiny oldtimer there, and the gamers keep it alive, keep reasoning, argufying, hoping for a better next week. (Like soccer: after the weekend round, there's a whole week chatting and arguing about if it was offside, that should be a penalty and so on. How empty should be the counter in the pub if everything was obvious, clean and the rules and judgements were unquestionably objective... ;))

Harsher penalties did alter peoples driving habits for a while, however PD toned down the penalties so much all the progress that was made has been undone.

When PD U-turned on those penalties, I wasn't happy but I can totally understand why they had to go. They made the top split races farcical and did far more damage to image than good.

They're still pretty bad seeing all the silly little time penalties flashing away and they've opened the game up to people not bothering to pass based on the person in front's penalty. It just doesn't work the way it's supposed to and likely never will.

All by the by though as damage is only in FIA races. It's needed in sport mode a lot more.

Back