AI cars look terrible at night.

• Thread starter Xiamoto
  • 35 comments

Xiamoto

Premium
United States
United States
I took this screenshot from this video over on the The Project CARS Video Thread. The un-realistic appearance of the AI cars (body panel surfaces and windows) at night has me concerned. The AI cars seem to have no dynamic rendering and reflection qualities like they do during day time game play. Have any of you seen the same thing? Does this "cartoon like" appearance just occur at some tracks and not all of them? Thanks in advance for your replies. Daytime graphics are fantastic from what I can tell, but this is very disappointing for me, as I was looking forward to a more realistic, greater immersion level during night game play than what I am seeing here..............:(

pcars-build-980-scrnsht-003.jpg

I took this screenshot from this video over on the The Project CARS Video Thread. The un-realistic appearance of the AI cars (body panel surfaces and windows) at night has me concerned. The AI cars seem to have no dynamic rendering and reflection qualities like they do during day time game play. Have any of you seen the same thing? Does this "cartoon like" appearance just occur at some tracks and not all of them? Thanks in advance for your replies. Daytime graphics are fantastic from what I can tell, but this is very disappointing for me, as I was looking forward to a more realistic, greater immersion level during night game play than what I am seeing here..............:(

View attachment 350406
Looks fine.

Look at Gran Turismo 6 and night. It's about as similar to that. I don't think it was worth making a thread over this...

Terrible is a harsh word, isn't it?

Anyway, it is a known "issue". The thing is that at nigh, lights has a tendency to make the cars look matte.

I think it is planned to improve that after the release.

Watched the entire footage and all of it looked good to me, honestly. Judging by your picture, as well the footage, it seems as if that the car behind lights up the cockpit and consequently makes the RUF appear brighter too.

Could be wrong though.

Last edited:
is this thread really necessary? shall we all start threads when the game releases pointing out things we don't like?

but having said that, perhaps a glitch thread (if we encounter any) would be of some value in terms of dev feedback? or do we leave that to the WMD boys?

OMG SMS you ruined my life, you used the same tree twice!!!!!! I am so cancelling my pre-order and any future dealings with SMS and WMD.

BTW I judged my opinion from a video I saw on Youtube, which might be 6 months old.

BTW should I really put a /sarc here?

Hey there JP! Thanks for launching those Threads! Am I on something.....or on to something with my OP observation about the terrible (less than desirable) object rendering at night? I hesitate to post this as a Bug or Glitch, because I have no idea if this is an intentional trade off SMS has made within the software architecture that can never be fixed. This issue just caught me off guard last night when I started viewing night footage in detail for the first time.

Thanks for all you do for the community here JP, cheers.....👍

I agree, just look at these screenshots I made earlier, absolutely disgusting. :ill: :D :sly:

17003186618_c96b6bf25e_o.jpg

17190339711_5e03bace01_o.jpg

17190917005_129fe1d625_o.jpg

17190339941_f5d5c2e24d_o.jpg

The quality of the rendered AI cars in your images look much better than the image I posted in my OP.....👍 ...but my perception is they do not look nearly as high quality as would be seen in daylight conditions. Which build are your screenshots from? What hardware platform/quality settings are you using? In your experience with the game........ do the cars dynamically pick up and reflect multiple point light sources at night from the environment? Can you turn off your own headlamps at night and if so, what happens to the other cars in these screenshots? Thank you for taking the time to post! I've gotten beaten up pretty good here with my OP, so thank you for this most constructive information.👍

Double post....sry.

The shots I made are from the current/latest build, on PC. I use a GTX970/i5-4460/16GB. Settings are 1920x1080, DS2X, most stuff at Ultra. Yes, the cars pick up multiple light sources, though in this particular situation (where there are no track lights whatsoever), there's only the cars headlights and tail lights. Yes, you can turn off your own headlights. What happens is exactly what's expected. :) I can take a few screenshots of that as well, but video shows it even better. :)

Anyway, hasn't your question been answered already a few hours ago?

Terrible is a harsh word, isn't it?

Anyway, it is a known "issue". The thing is that at nigh, lights has a tendency to make the cars look matte.

I think it is planned to improve that after the release.

do the cars dynamically pick up and reflect multiple point light sources at night from the environment?

This vid shows some levels of reflections from the environment in a night race. Maybe dynamic specular highlights from the car's lamp heads require to much computing resources at this point.

You will get immersion with the AI! :) They play like humans! You hit them they are going to get you back. :) Try playing with them at around 98% difficulty or to the level you can handle and you will get immersion. :) So if you play fair they will also respect you for that. :)

But you are all going to love playing with the AI if your unable to go online!

Next-Gen racing game said to run above 60 FPS *Don't know if that's true or not, someone told me that* and they can't get the AI cars done right? Reminds me of the AI cars from Test Drive 5 but even there is it worse. :yuck:
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Video source of where I get the screenshots from.

Yeah ummmm I don't really know the true reason on why the cars on TD5 looks like this. It's just disgusting to look at. I mean on Project Cars it's just the reflections but TD5 it's even worse as it's the bodies of the car.

Last edited:
Have to agree with the OP, it doesn't really bother me but the cars do seem to have a matte-like finish at night.
I agree, just look at these screenshots I made earlier, absolutely disgusting. :ill: :D :sly:

17190339941_f5d5c2e24d_o.jpg
The road looks much more reflective than what you would expect.

Last edited:
Why do games in general reduce graphical quality?
Probably due to time constraints, rushed out products, or made by the aliens at Data Design Interactive.

Also could be because of your PC's specs which may be the proper answer. Especially since this game is available on PC. *Talking about Project CARS*

To be fair enough, TD5 came out like two decades ago, although I've seen Gran Turismo 1 done a better job at the AI cars though.

Last edited:
It's to save hardware resources. If you already have a high detailed car model, you're not going to save development resources by not using it.

Back