AI changed in the 1.07 update?

Have you noticed the AI being faster and more aggressive since the 1.07 update?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ok, I've just ran the Willow Springs 10 laps race again, with a very competent McLaren MP4-12C @596PP and sports soft tires. This same car, was one of the car that I could
easily win this race. Even when the big boys, the FXX, Huayra and F1 appear.

After 1.07... Hmm nope.

The other cars seem to have a constant pace, sometimes passing each other. I saw a Nissan GTR pass the GT500 in a beautiful way @ the second corner.

About the big boys, well... I finished 3rd. Simply couldn't catch the FXX or the F1. I've pitted @ lap 5 as always, the FXX did the same. The F1 pitted at lap 6.

Curious facts: the F1 did the fastest lap of the race. Even faster than me.

The FXX was using sports medium tires!
Wow...good feedback.

today's race :/
P190514_19.30[01].JPG

I haven't updated my game yet. I am just coming back from holidays next Friday and am willing to do some AI evaluation on 1.06 version. What do you guys suggest for me to do?

I haven't updated my game yet. I am just coming back from holidays next Friday and am willing to do some AI evaluation on 1.06 version. What do you guys suggest for me to do?

Pick some of the mentioned races, a race from the IA and some from the S class I think may be the best ones to test. 👍

Maybe the AI update can be different by region? Games used to be harder for the japanese market, years ago. GT updates are regional for sure, I always receive the LATAM update, for latin america.
Haven't thought of that... could be...
Anyway, just finished two more Nür 24 races with two new cars (standards, but I have to much credits for the moment).
I won with the Mazda6 Touring car and the Opel Astra V8 Coupé (Phoenix) and today AI seemed - again - slower.
The first AI still finished in resp. 29.02.XXX and 29.14.XXX, which is still faster than the AI's of @alexnipi

Off topic: must say that his time in the Cappuccino is really really fast. Don't know what kind of tuning has been done, but my Cappu reaches barely 214 km/h (when slipstreaming) and all AI cars just fly by... :confused:

Could it be that PD is testing some AI settings under certain conditions before they fully implement it? To test fans' reactions and how it performs?

Anything is possible. I just did a 15 Lap at Silverstone. I can choose to use the hyper slipstream to catch and pass or try to use basic acceleration but, still going full throttle and keep my momentum. Here are the results.
nJogKzN.jpg
nJogKzN.jpg

its the same pic. Sorry.

I tell you, the R8s just pull away. I had to use the splipstream to catch up. The lead R8 gapped me at 11.8 seconds until Lap 11. Then, it put on the brakes and I caught up. The thing even passed me on the outside of the back of the old pit right-hander! The cars are quick out of corners and good on the brakes as well. I found the AI getting in my slipstream and moving over way before the turns setting me up to pass. Only thing saving me was threshold braking. The AI were also good at the esses. Braking slightly and then pulling away out of the last corner for the back straight. Good stuff.

I'd say there was some changes to AI in 1.07 update. Not big , but I got a feeling that first two - three cars doesn't slow down as much as before . I'm not fastest driver around and I usually use stock cars 50-100 pp under the race limit or I put lower grade tires on , but lately I've got some challenging fights with leading AI cars.

Could be , it is just a placebo effect , but then , I was about to post about AI change same day update come out and I had some good fights in iA events :D

PS: done some arcade mode today and except in two cases when I got matched with cars that got pp as mine , I've lost (come 3-5 place) 8 races out of 10 on various Matterhorn tracks > 2-5 laps ,AI on hard. I haven't tune my car (mustang boss) and AI used various cars up to zonda (540pp?) and R8 5.2 so they shouldn't be real challenge for 505pp boss :D Thing I've noticed is that AI is still more or less "careful" in turns , but on straights It speed up as It should (full throttle , mostly).

add. experience also depends on how you drive. Mostly I choose 0 aid , no sugested gear indicator, minimum hud, cockpit/bumper cam and I try to drive "real world" ,so no crashing, bumping AI cars out of the way , dive bombing or stupid things I wouldn't do IRL.

Last edited:
Maybe the circuit as well. I did a 7 Lap at Spa with variable weather. The AI were doing their "stop in the apex" move. Rain came(I didnt pit). Once it got to 27% it subsided. An R8 got out in front and pulled away until the rain stopped. It beat me by just over 5 seconds.

I dont understand the stopping at the slow turn at Spa. At Silverstone, those R8s were aggressive and on rails at the slowest corners.

I had a cracking race in the Gran Turismo Nacsar cup on Daytona. I was leading the race coming up to turn 2, and I got a terrible entry so the car behind got me on the inside line. I got back into the slipstream and passed him right on the 3rd corner and won the race by 0.25 of a second (or some other tiny margin). I couldn't believe it

Anything is possible. I just did a 15 Lap at Silverstone. I can choose to use the hyper slipstream to catch and pass or try to use basic acceleration but, still going full throttle and keep my momentum. Here are the results.
nJogKzN.jpg
nJogKzN.jpg

its the same pic. Sorry.

I tell you, the R8s just pull away. I had to use the splipstream to catch up. The lead R8 gapped me at 11.8 seconds until Lap 11. Then, it put on the brakes and I caught up. The thing even passed me on the outside of the back of the old pit right-hander! The cars are quick out of corners and good on the brakes as well. I found the AI getting in my slipstream and moving over way before the turns setting me up to pass. Only thing saving me was threshold braking. The AI were also good at the esses. Braking slightly and then pulling away out of the last corner for the back straight. Good stuff.
Silverstone, Arcade mode, the AI is very fast...GT3 and GT300...You must be quick and consistent in each lap...if you want to win.

Not really seeing any difference with the AI look like same old habits. Ran a race yesterday 550 PP World Touring Car Championship with my R8 LMS ultra (Team Phoenix) started near the rear of a five lap race at Grand Valley, by lap two notice the lead car BMW E92 M3 10' had pulled out a considerable lead ahead of the pack of cars in second and third place. As I closed in on the pack, the BMW had pulled back close to pack, after passing the BMW on lap 4 I broke away from the pack a considerable distance but had the BMW was nipping at my heels the remainder of the race.

These seem to be the same old habits where the AI waits on you, then try's to give you a good race after you pass it.

Nürburg 24' yesterday.

Honda Integra touring car, some 100pp less than the 650 max.
Should not have been a problem before 1.07.

Did not have to pit, was in 8th position at the start of lap 2, some 25" behind the lead cars.
Could not hold this position and was 10th at the end of lap two, 47" behind leader(s).
Some cars pitted and I found myself in 4th starting final lap.

Now this is where AI used to slow down and wait for you...

In the final lap I got overtaken by three cars (who pitted) and the lead cars extended their lead.

Finished 7th, 1'14" behind...

AI behaves different, depending on which car you're in and also depending of which AI cars you're racing against.

Still: after 1.07 AI needs less time to finish the 24' races at the Nürburgring than they did before, each and every time. The slowest AI times now are consequently faster than before 1.07

Not really seeing any difference with the AI look like same old habits. Ran a race yesterday 550 PP World Touring Car Championship with my R8 LMS ultra (Team Phoenix) started near the rear of a five lap race at Grand Valley, by lap two notice the lead car BMW E92 M3 10' had pulled out a considerable lead ahead of the pack of cars in second and third place. As I closed in on the pack, the BMW had pulled back close to pack, after passing the BMW on lap 4 I broke away from the pack a considerable distance but had the BMW was nipping at my heels the remainder of the race.

These seem to be the same old habits where the AI waits on you, then try's to give you a good race after you pass it.

Have you consider , that 550pp WTCC event matches you with AI touring cars (not GT3class) in range from 400-550? I know event(s) doesn't restrict you (in that one you can use cars up to 600pp) , but Ultra is GT3 car (around 600pp?) ,so definitely it is superior to AI cars in that event > 320i,atenza,m3,is200,integra...

I'd recomend ,you try some 450-500pp rally/touring car (my choice is stock stratos rally car (478pp RH)) in that 550pp WTCchampionship and I guarantee you'll have more competitive experience as with maxed out car.

Last edited:
Have you consider , that 550pp WTCC event matches you with AI touring cars (not GT3class) in range from 400-550? I know event(s) doesn't restrict you (in that one you can use cars up to 600pp) , but Ultra is GT3 car (around 600pp?) ,so definitely it is superior to AI cars in that event > 320i,atenza,m3,is200,integra...

I'd recomend ,you try some 450-500pp rally/touring car (my choice is stock stratos rally car (478pp RH)) in that 550pp WTCchampionship and I guarantee you'll have more competitive experience as with maxed out car.

The behavior I was describing is the same as it was before 1.07, the AI is programmed to wait for you, I personally don't want it to wait for me.

Ran another race with a stock Toyota 2000GT, no aids on except putting sports hard tires the car is 153hp in
a two lap race in National B FR Challenge at Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit up against Mustang Boss 302, XKR R Performance, DB7 Vantage, RX7 Spirit & a G35 Coupe, on the last turn before the final straightaway I was on the tail
of the Boss Mustang only to have it pull away on the strait, I came in second. With all of the straightaways the mustang should have pulled out a comfortable lead, as with most of the other cars.

I Basically grabbing the lowest PP car in my garage for a event that's within reason and still getting closer to the front than I would expect.:)

The behavior I was describing is the same as it was before 1.07, the AI is programmed to wait for you, I personally don't want it to wait for me.

Ran another race with a stock Toyota 2000GT, no aids on except putting sports hard tires the car is 153hp in
a two lap race in National B FR Challenge at Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit up against Mustang Boss 302, XKR R Performance, DB7 Vantage, RX7 Spirit & a G35 Coupe, on the last turn before the final straightaway I was on the tail
of the Boss Mustang only to have it pull away on the strait, I came in second. With all of the straightaways the mustang should have pulled out a comfortable lead, as with most of the other cars.

I Basically grabbing the lowest PP car in my garage for a event that's within reason and still getting closer to the front than I would expect.:)
In Arcade, they don't wait...at the least in Silverstone or in Laguna Seca...(my tests until now)

In Arcade, they don't wait...at the least in Silverstone or in Laguna Seca...(my tests until now)

AI behavior seems to only be in the Career Mode, the Arcade Mode seems to be programmed differently, the
rabbit seems more pronounced. If they would reincorporate fuel/tire wear back into Arcade Mode I would
enjoy it more. Currently racing in GT5 Arcade Mode to do my endurance races.

AI behavior seems to only be in the Career Mode, the Arcade Mode seems to be programmed differently, the
rabbit seems more pronounced. If they would reincorporate fuel/tire wear back into Arcade Mode I would
enjoy it more. Currently racing in GT5 Arcade Mode to do my endurance races.
Oh, yeah, the Arcade GT6 is not complete.

The ai seems to have changed, I had a good 2 lap race on the ring using an old 1990 supra slighty tuned with more power, it was a good dog fight all the way to the end vs an rx7

I then had a really strange two lapper with an untuned espirit rx7 and beat a corvette stingray not sure if the game detune it for the race, running 7:58 laps
Atleast it was close though

Took the GTR GT3 to Arcade and yeah - the first R8 LMS '09 is bloody fast. It's the same class, similar PP but it really was hard as hell to keep up. So far though it's the only car in the same class that challenged me.

They are quicker/faster depending on the track because they took some type of corners better than others but more importantly the first AI car in almost all cases have better acceleration and top speed than your car thus a track with long straights is their advantage.

It depends also on the car you choose -GT3 car gave me challenge, GT500 gave me less challenge and a road car gave me no challenge at all.

Nurburgring F1 Track

Me GTR GT3, AI R8 LMS - perfect laps required, hard to keep up

Me Supra GT500, AI HSV GT500 - 1-2 seconds slower than me

BUT me with Ferrari 430 Scuderia and AI with Ford GT on Spa and AI is nowhere near my lap times - they suck.

So that's one car so far - the R8 LMS '09. Maybe there are some others challenging combinations.

It seems thant PD AI system is limited and the cars are quick only when all the conditions are met.

Some cars just seems to "fit" into that system.

I use Arcade Mode mostly. Always set Infinite laps, fully stock vehicles, no aids especially ABS. Full AI aggression. In car view only. I always step down my tires for street cars. CS is only reserved for exotics and late model very high performance. SH for track oriented street cars or tuners. CH for slower or vintage. CM for most any modern performance.

Since 1.07 the one thing I've noticed is some sloppier AI driving-lots more spins and such especially at Nurburgring. Not noticed any AI overall speed differences.

Was running LaSarthe in a stock '88 Jag XJR-9 RH's. Ran about 4 or 5 races for 45 minutes each. Each grid was different. Some had more GT cars and some more LMP's. Also a few times a rabbit disappeared down the track building a huge lead. The best run was against a Bentley 8 and a Pug 905 (the old one). Ran for a good half hour passing back and forth between the 3 cars. No one was able to fully pull away-I finally went off. Real pack racing.

I've run many, many races in Arcade. Some combos just work better than others. I've re-run the same grid and the lead AI is sometimes a different car as well. Also after some laps, a pack car will break free and start running much quicker.

Some folks may say Arcade is a bore and any GT6 driving is not "real" racing. I don't know but I find chasing down a car for lap after lap pretty darned fun and challenging. I'm just one of those odd people that actually love virtual driving and really dig GT6's physics so it works great for me.

It depends also on the car you choose -GT3 car gave me challenge, GT500 gave me less challenge and a road car gave me no challenge at all.

Nurburgring F1 Track

Me GTR GT3, AI R8 LMS - perfect laps required, hard to keep up

Me Supra GT500, AI HSV GT500 - 1-2 seconds slower than me

BUT me with Ferrari 430 Scuderia and AI with Ford GT on Spa and AI is nowhere near my lap times - they suck.

So that's one car so far - the R8 LMS '09. Maybe there are some others challenging combinations.

It seems thant PD AI system is limited and the cars are quick only when all the conditions are met.

Some cars just seems to "fit" into that system.
This is my experience too. It definitely seems that a certain core group of factors are in play in how the A.I. behaves.
  • Which group of cars you choose: sports, supercars, race cars
  • Often which subgroup you select: GT300, GT500, DTM, Rally etc.
  • Which bots and which cars are in the top three spots or so
  • Which track and/or which race series you select in GT Mode
If PD would just undo these odd factors so the bot behavior is more universal, and unlimit their racing performance or at least make them more uniform from best to worst, these bots would be the best ever.

Back