AI Difficulty Level?

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I am new to Racing Sims but I find the AI in Assetto Corsa way to difficult. Changing from hardest to easiest the 3 lap race times were only about 1-2 seconds slower. The AI cars just drive away from me so its just a time trial how much I lose by.

Is the AI in Project Cars a bit more scalable for newcomers?

I'd kind of like to have AI levels all the way from granny on a sunday drive to Lewis Hamilton. Rather than Lewis Hamilton and a slightly slower F1 driver.

I am new to Racing Sims but I find the AI in Assetto Corsa way to difficult. Changing from hardest to easiest the 3 lap race times were only about 1-2 seconds slower. The AI cars just drive away from me so its just a time trial how much I lose by.

Is the AI in Project Cars a bit more scalable for newcomers?

I'd kind of like to have AI levels all the way from granny on a sunday drive to Lewis Hamilton. Rather than Lewis Hamilton and a slightly slower F1 driver.
Please please use the search function we only just discussed it yesterday.

Please please use the search function we only just discussed it yesterday.

I did see the conversation in the "Project CARS [Coming 2015] PC, PS4, Wii U, Xbox One" thread. But they were only talking about the top end. i.e How hard is 100%, can the AI beat a good racer, does it go over 100%? etc. I also saw some glitch questions on the search, the AI crashes into you etc.

These are the questions for SIM racing because they are mostly played by hobbyists with hours and hours honing their skills. Not gamers wanting to jump in and have some fun day 1. I was really after how low it can go. Its good to know the AI can be set to be much better than you but also good to know it can be set to be much worse than you. That way you know there is a sweet spot where you can race and have fun. The easiest AI in Assetto Corsa (80%) is faster than most of the people on its online servers. If you miss one gear change go wide even once you can never catch the pack.

I see you are a veteran here so if you know this was discussed somewhere please do drop a link in. Thanks :)

I did see the conversation in the "Project CARS [Coming 2015] PC, PS4, Wii U, Xbox One" thread. But they were only talking about the top end. i.e How hard is 100%, can the AI beat a good racer, does it go over 100%? etc. I also saw some glitch questions on the search, the AI crashes into you etc.

These are the questions for SIM racing because they are mostly played by hobbyists with hours and hours honing their skills. Not gamers wanting to jump in and have some fun day 1. I was really after how low it can go. Its good to know the AI can be set to be much better than you but also good to know it can be set to be much worse than you. That way you know there is a sweet spot where you can race and have fun. The easiest AI in Assetto Corsa (80%) is faster than most of the people on its online servers. If you miss one gear change go wide even once you can never catch the pack.

I see you are a veteran here so if you know this was discussed somewhere please do drop a link in. Thanks :)
you are right in that fact that there is no one post however; with more and more new people coming into this subforum as the game approaches i would ask you to ask questions in the general thread. (Project CARS [Coming 2015] PC, PS4, Wii U, Xbox One) As unneeded threads makes this subforum messy and harder to find information in the search function. youtube is also a brilliant source of information.

you are right in that fact that there is no one post however; with more and more new people coming into this subforum as the game approaches i would ask you to ask questions in the general thread.
Yeah, let's dump all questions in one thread. :rolleyes:

No worries, man, this is the proper place for it. If not, a mod will point it out or move it. 👍

Yeah, let's dump all questions in one thread. :rolleyes:

The bigger this sub-forum gets, the more the need for child boards arise. I think we're at that stage to be honest. Last time I was posting here regularly, there were about 15-20 topics in total and it was easy to see what questions and what convos go where. At the moment, who knows!

i've not yet seen a youtube video with less than 40% AI. how bad are they on 1%? and do all 100 increments actually have a noticeable difference?

even though i like the slider idea, are we really going to notice a difference of a few percent here and there?

i've not yet seen a youtube video with less than 40% AI. how bad are they on 1%? and do all 100 increments actually have a noticeable difference?

even though i like the slider idea, are we really going to notice a difference of a few percent here and there?
I can tell you about my example. I can compete quite well against AI at 75%, but when I set it to 80% I'm going to be stuck at the back of the pack. So at this level even 5% can make a difference. Not sure about lower levels.

I can tell you about my example. I can compete quite well against AI at 75%, but when I set it to 80% I'm going to be stuck at the back of the pack. So at this level even 5% can make a difference. Not sure about lower levels.
that's good to know. i'll probably play around those marks at first, just be interesting to see if the AI on 1% are just really slow (which isn't all that realistic if they're in similar cars) or whether they just drive incredibly badly.

The bigger this sub-forum gets, the more the need for child boards arise. I think we're at that stage to be honest. Last time I was posting here regularly, there were about 15-20 topics in total and it was easy to see what questions and what convos go where. At the moment, who knows!
True, I think we'll be seeing a real explosion of topics once the game hits the shelves. I suspect the mods will act accordingly by then. For now, anything goes. For often asked questions, a sticky FAQ would be nice. :)

How has the AI evolved recently in difficulty? Did they get easier/more difficult over time on the same difficulty setting?

How will I know what setting to start the career in? Does the game make me start at a certain level? Do I choose that level? What if I got it wrong and I am a lap ahead/behind after 3 laps. Can I restart the career?

Thanks in advance.

In the career you can select the AI difficulty for each race weekend separately, as well as session times (to get more practice on a particular track) and you are able to select if restarts are allowed or not. Initial AI difficulty will be set according to your choice in "Player Tailoring" when you first start the game.

Project CARS - Donington * Formula Rookie * AI test - (Build 940)

this is what i'm worried about. the AI was on 100% and he was at least a good second faster than the fastest AI. not sure how great of a driver he is, ( hopefully very very good ) but the career is going to be boring if i can win every race starting in last with the only possible recourse being to shorten the race which i wouldn't want to run less than 30 min.

this is what i'm worried about. the AI was on 100% and he was at least a good second faster than the fastest AI. not sure how great of a driver he is, ( hopefully very very good ) but the career is going to be boring if i can win every race starting in last with the only possible recourse being to shorten the race which i wouldn't want to run less than 30 min.

I agree. The AI set at 100% should mean you would basically have to be PERFECT to keep up. This guy was up to 7th after one lap, spun twice to a complete stop before getting going again and was still only seconds from the lead at the end. He shouldn't have been anywhere near the front.

I agree. The AI set at 100% should mean you would basically have to be PERFECT to keep up. This guy was up to 7th after one lap, spun twice to a complete stop before getting going again and was still only seconds from the lead at the end. He shouldn't have been anywhere near the front.
Yorkie's last 2 race videos have had the AI set to 93% and they looked very tough to beat, he was even going backwards through the field in the Clio. as you say, 100% should be nigh on impossible. or at least extremely challenging.

I wonder if the AI is different in the different classes of cars? Maybe they aren't as good or as consistent in the Formula Rookie as they are in the higher classes? Hopefully someone comes along and sorts this out.

Hopefully they don't dumb it down for the release version. Not sure how much of a say the community has on this...

Edit: about a month ago I saw this in the build notes regarding career AI:
"Career Championships: All core career series updated with in-sport AI challenge and participant spread ramping. WMD-4808"

What does that mean?

Last edited:
No idea. But we know that throughout the career, the AI gets tougher with higher tiers. At the lower tiers, it starts at 90% of what you chose, then goes up to 100% as you move higher. This is to simulate that higher tiers normally have better drivers. So if you want the full on 100% strength Formula Rookie experience, you need to drive a quick race weekend.

Latest Posts

Back