Alfa Romeo Set to Revive GTV Name, and Introduce 700hp+ 8C Successor

It may or may not out perform it's rivals, but I do not doubt it will turn heads with it's looks - knowing Alfa Romeo. Sticking with Fiat group of manufacturers, wish Maserati had a crack with their version of the LaFerrari as they did with MC12 to the Enzo, even though Maserati aren't in the healthiest of postions. And don't even get me started on Lancia.

I’m looking forward to seeing and hearing more about these. There aren’t many dull Alfa’s and I doubt these will be.

Does the G in in the GTV for this one stand for "Giulia" by any chance?

...Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Last edited:
Does the G in in the GTV for this one stand for "Giulia" by any chance?

...Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

From what I've been reading, the new GTV will basically be a Giulia Coupe.

Never got that Giulia wagon. :( Stupid SUV-driven market environment!

You mean this :)

giulia-wagon_1.jpg

...would like to have this one

Electrified front axle sounds interesting, I've never heard of that technology before. I assume it means it will have an electric motor driving the front axle?
It's basically the same idea as the Honda NSX.

The use of the vague "axle" means they don't have to commit to a specific technology - single motor and single one-speed gearbox, single motor driving dual in-wheel gearboxes, or dual motors - at this point.

Doesn't appear to be a midengine configuration...at least not an obvious one. I'm getting Maserati vibes from the proportions.

Oh my God there are going to be two new sports Alfas?!

I am dreaming and I do not want to wake up. Oh God. How much I wish I could afford them...

My hot take is that the Maserati Gran Turismo may be old and outclassed now but it's still fantastic. Drove one a year or two back and it still feels very special and makes an absolutely fantastic noise.

Second hot take is I'm not that thrilled if that's the actual silhouette of the GTV. There's probably some wonky perspective going on there as it's a phone image of a projection onto a screen, but that elongated back end looks quite awkward.

Not too surprising given the recent merger. PSAFCA (or whatever they end up calling it) will be going through a stage of trimming whatever is necessary to ensure money only goes where it matters until the dust settles.

Much as I'm an Alfa fan, I had little to no interest in the GTV or 8C anyway. The GTV was basically turning into something on a level with the last 8C as far as performance was concerned with a fairly generic Giulia-based design (as a huge fan of the old Pininfarina GTV, I was hoping for something more imaginative) and churlish though it is to complain about "yet another" supercar, the 8C would have been... yet another supercar.

Yeah, no surprise there. It's been all but confirmed that the 4C is being axed as well and Alfa Romeo isn't incredibly profitable at the moment.

Not too surprising given the recent merger. PSAFCA (or whatever they end up calling it) will be going through a stage of trimming whatever is necessary to ensure money only goes where it matters until the dust settles.

Much as I'm an Alfa fan, I had little to no interest in the GTV or 8C anyway. The GTV was basically turning into something on a level with the last 8C as far as performance was concerned with a fairly generic Giulia-based design (as a huge fan of the old Pininfarina GTV, I was hoping for something more imaginative) and churlish though it is to complain about "yet another" supercar, the 8C would have been... yet another supercar.

The one thing I keep thinking about with this merger is something Merakian appearing...all of the players seem to be falling into place. Give the top end model the Alfa TT V6 but also offer some lower end, Cayman fighting trims. If the Alpine is more towards the Lotus end of the spectrum, maybe a new Merak could be the more touring-focused side of the equation, if you think of the Cayman as somewhere in the middle. I'd love that (that being a supercar-shaped thing for not a lot of money) more than what the 8C/GTV was likely going to be.

Back