Alfa Z-Cup - Johnnypenso and Carracerptp Z-Cup Co-Champions!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 2,668 comments
  • 117,202 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Recommended garage or ???
 
Your own garage, tuned cars or whatever you want.

The lounge is open, and white! I have the restrictions at 450pp/AWD for now. Put on your snow shoes and come get sideways!! :)
 
Daughter is having a late one. I'll be along eventually, save me a spot.
 
Holy cow, that was fun! Driving in the snow is a blast, racing in the snow is really fun as long as you're not directly behind somebody and getting blinded. :scared: I think I've found a new favorite hobby. :)

I have one of the snow tracks shared if anybody wants to check it out.
 
Was hoping to make it out tonight.

Still trying to get sat down and make some laps.


Also. All this wheel talk. My kids DFGT quit last night. All pedals and buttons worked. Just no steering inputs. I tried tinkering with it. Checked voltage on power supply. It powers up. No calibration or movement at all. Just gets force and holds it center like it should. However as mentioned no inputs are registered by PS3.

So first day of Christmas vacation and the kids 361 day old DFGT goes cap-put. Being the big hearted father and fellow sim racer. Couldn't let my little boys go with there racing over Christmas break.

Searched Craigslist. Found nib for 95. 100mile away. Cost me 40+ in gas and food. So at 135 I decided to check stores 30 miles away. Sams 119.00 not instock. Best Buy 150. Ugggg. Game stop 129.99. Perfect!!! Work had me in this town today anyway. So fuel cost zero. As well it can be returned if faulty over the next week or out box.

Anyway. Kids fixed up. Was the wheel. Left pedals. Now to get it sent in to Logitec and repaired under the warranty. :). Then we will both have a back up plan!

Btw. I'm BROKE now. LoL
 
Last edited:
Was hoping to make it out tonight.

Still trying to get sat down and make some laps.


Also. All this wheel talk. My kids DFGT quit last night. All pedals and buttons worked. Just no steering inputs. I tried tinkering with it. Checked voltage on power supply. It powers up. No calibration or movement at all. Just gets force and holds it center like it should. However as mentioned no inputs are registered by PS3.

So first day of Christmas vacation and the kids 361 day old DFGT goes cap-put. Being the big hearted father and fellow sim racer. Couldn't let my little boys go with there racing over Christmas break.

Searched Craigslist. Found nib for 95. 100mile away. Cost me 40+ in gas and food. So at 135 I decided to check stores 30 miles away. Sams 119.00 not instock. Best Buy 150. Ugggg. Game stop 129.99. Perfect!!! Work had me in this town today anyway. So fuel cost zero. As well it can be returned if faulty over the next week or out box.

Anyway. Kids fixed up. Was the wheel. Left pedals. Now to get it sent in to Logitec and repaired under the warranty. :). Then we will both have a back up plan!

Btw. I'm BROKE now. LoL

That sounds like a christmas miracle if Ive ever heard of one. Whenever one of my toys broke as a kid my parents always had me go outside and play wity a rock.
 
I've put up the snowy death track to share. I doubt anyone will want to run it again though.
 
Torzilla
That sounds like a christmas miracle if Ive ever heard of one.

Every time a wheel fires up an angel gets its wings. :sly:


Here's a preview of one of my snow tracks from last night, I believe this one is up for share on my profile.







On a side note, I'd been hearing all the great reviews about the improved sounds with 2.02 but my headset wasn't setup optimally so I hadn't noticed it. In fact I had noticed some strange things, like when cars got close to me all the sound would get very quiet and during any collisions the sound would cut out completely. I'm now running the game audio input for the headphones directly from my home theater receiver instead of from the PS3 and the difference is incredible! I can finally hear all these nuances people have been discussing and they're quite fantastic. Even on the snow I could hear the tires protesting, not screeching or squealing but I could hear them scrubbing and bouncing across the snow. On tarmac the new tire sounds are marvelous, they sound more dynamic. When you first start to loose grip they make a scrubbing sound that elevates to a full on screech as you pass the grip limit, very nice indeed. Engine sounds are much better too, seems like there's more "layers" to the sound effects. 👍
 
Last edited:
Santa is bringing my the Sony wireless one. The reviews are okay, I just wanted cheap wireless, no hassle set up. I'm very excited to be able to hear GT5 again. I usually have to play with the sound right down.
 
^ I previously used computer speakers and a bluetooth earpiece, it worked ok. Upgrading to the Turtle Beach's was a great investment though, the chat audio sounds much better, the game audio sounds fantastic and I can independently control the volume of each. The boom mic is great too, and since the sound no longer comes out of my tv/speakers I don't have to worry about drowning you guys in my engine noise. :)
 
The snow driving looks great fun, but you need the track to be wide.
I see you didn't manage to make a mobius track that was all downhill :)
 
That track was at max width and was very wide, lots of room for sliding. :)

Freaky's track had a big downhill section that went into a high-banked turn, it was pretty crazy. :crazy: I enjoyed the snow so much that I'm sure I'll be making some more snow tracks, I'll see if I can make a big downhill track. :)
 
The ORCA Drivers Club is now open for business! Anybody who wants to join up for some random spot racing, please fill out the registration form linked in the OP (different from the Alfa registration form). Hopefully we get some good people onboard and we can have some regular, clean racing of all different kinds! 👍
 
^^ all downhill with a jump please. ;)
 
^ I have to get approval from Torzilla on all jump tracks, he's the expert. :sly:
 
^ I have to get approval from Torzilla on all jump tracks, he's the expert. :sly:

Snow jumps are the best, but Im still not happy that I cant put snow tires on any of my Lambos.
 
My G27 will be arriving on Tuesday. What do you guys put yours on?
 
^ There are lots of options, from simple to complex. I'd guess you'll need something that can be dismantled and put away easily. I'd recommend going with a wooden TV tray, you should be able to find a single one at walmart for about $10-15. I used one for many years, it's not as solid as a permanent option but works pretty good and you can fold it up with the wheel still attached, wrap up the cord(s) and put it away. You can brace it with your knees which helps it be pretty stable. A lot of people use an ironing board, I've also used a laptop table (the kind that swings over your chair). The more stable the better, there's a lot of torque transmitted through it from yanking the wheel around and if your stand moves too much it will have a negative impact on your driving.

There's a section on here somewhere for custom built rigs and make shift options, browse through there and see if you can get some other ideas. Like I mentioned before, you're going to feel like a fish out of water at first and it might be discouraging but it doesn't take long to adapt and be back up to speed. You're pretty good with the controller, you may never be faster with a wheel but you should be just as fast and you're enjoyment level will go through the roof. It's a whole different experience, almost as big as the difference between riding in a car and driving the car. 👍


I'm home from work for the rest of the day and ready to do some more snow racing! RDAardvark and I are going to hop in the ORCA_Champ lounge shortly, if anybody's looking for some Friday racing feel free to join up!
 
Same specs as yesterday?
 
My plans have been thwarted by a surprise visit from Santa Clause. Not sure if I will get to join you now. :(
 
I've been playing in the course maker again, haven't opened the lounge yet. Hardly anybody is on right now so I probably won't open it until this evening.


Tell Santa hi for me, and remind him about the 32" tv's. :)
 
Starting a load of laundry and plan to be on ASAP.
 
One more suggestion to replace Spa if still needed

Make as long of a Toscana Track as you possibly can.
 
just bought the car and started testing, wow this alfa is much better then i expected it to be nice drive!

EDIT looks as if my main account is back up and working so i will be using PSN luckylefty2gunz and i am waiting for friend request responce to enter lounge and test with others
 
I vote Owens Alfa track as a Spa replacement.
 
I think we should do a roll-call/vote to see how many people did not buy Spa. If only a handful didn't I don't think others should be forced to give up the chance to enjoy points racing at Spa. After all, there are two weeks one can drop.
 
Can we gift a Track DLC?


Also anyone intersted in spot race using:

ZR1 (C6) Stock Spec

Tracks:
Laguna Seca
Indy Roval
Daytona Roval

Laps. Maybe 15 each place.

Tires. Sports Xxx not sure Hards or Softs. Majority rules.
 
The biggest key on mounting wheel is a heavy stable object. If you can achieve a sturdy mounted wheel. You are set. ;)

Any wobbles of table or slippage in clamp will haunt you mid race.

Get some rubber pads to help grip tables. Put these on the four pinch points. As well these help protect wooden dining table or similar.

Outside that be creative or Make a wood project of sorts even PVC would be cool. I heard question of static arise from PVC. I don't know if there is any validity in that.
 
The biggest key on mounting wheel is a heavy stable object. If you can achieve a sturdy mounted wheel. You are set. ;)

Any wobbles of table or slippage in clamp will haunt you mid race.

This right here. I use an old writing bureau and the drawers have barbell weights in them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back