Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Worse

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Not Sure Yet

Votes: 12 54.5%

• Total voters
United States
Missouri
I wanted to start up a thread for all the tuners out there in the GTP and Forza Community.

Here is where you can discuss all things tuning and builds of cars for all classes!

Since this a tuning thread, I think this is a good place to post this.

For those who don't know, there is a limit on the amount of tuning setups you can have. The limit is believed to be 500.

So this is my first Forza game where I'm going to try and rely completely on my own tuning skills for rivals events, usually I'd just download one from a well-known tuner but I feel like tuning is really the next area of Forza I'd like to get in to, especially as I like to use cars you don't usually see in lobbies.

Currently working on my D class Nissan Juke, not much room for upgrades but equipping the street transmission free'd up another 3 or 4 points while keeping as far as I could tell the same gear ratios. Going to play around with the different suspension settings soon to see if I can get it to stop clipping on some kerbs which is like hitting an invisible wall.

So this is my first Forza game where I'm going to try and rely completely on my own tuning skills for rivals events, usually I'd just download one from a well-known tuner but I feel like tuning is really the next area of Forza I'd like to get in to, especially as I like to use cars you don't usually see in lobbies.

Currently working on my D class Nissan Juke, not much room for upgrades but equipping the street transmission free'd up another 3 or 4 points while keeping as far as I could tell the same gear ratios. Going to play around with the different suspension settings soon to see if I can get it to stop clipping on some kerbs which is like hitting an invisible wall.
The great thing about tuning your own cars is customizing the handling to suit your driving style. Adjusting for the over-steer and under-steer you prefer instead of just trying to get used to someone else' preferences. You might not be quite as good at tuning, but might still get better times with your own tunes.

I love it, actually. It feels like there's genuine changes from even the slightest adjustment in the suspension settings, where in 5 I would have to make a pretty substantial adjustment to get any meaningful change in the cars handling characteristics. I actually managed to make a RWD BRZ handle well in A Class on sports tires.

Today has been a very productive tuning day. Ive learned a whole lot more about how cars react when changing the camber settings and springs together. Also building in general is getting very interesting.
I love it, actually. It feels like there's genuine changes from even the slightest adjustment in the suspension settings, where in 5 I would have to make a pretty substantial adjustment to get any meaningful change in the cars handling characteristics. I actually managed to make a RWD BRZ handle well in A Class on sports tires.
Sports tires are the way to go.

In the past I think the tunes were per car, I don't think there was a limit on total number of tunes unless that would be x*total number of cars. Whatever it was I never hit it and I have had a lot of tunes on FM 2,3,4

I did not play 5, won't get the XB1 until Tuesday so have no idea what has changed since FM4 as far as tuning goes.

How is the new games tuning compared to say FM4? More tuning, less, More accurate, Less?

I wanna say that tuning in this game is similar FM4, but a more refined tuning concept using more lateral Gs this time around.

I am not a tuner but am starting to dabble. As I have been playing/tuning in the game, I noticed that tuning and weight go hand in hand, so when using a Weight -% MOD, does it affect the tune based off your original weight or calculate new weight when MOD is used?

I imagine no, I'd have to re-tune to the new -weight, just curious.

I'm not sure what you mean by weight -% mod. {Perhaps one of the new offline mod things they added}. If that be the case then I have no idea how it works as I have not gotten FM6 yet.

I have did lots of tuning on the 360 versions of FM.

Weight changes had no effect on any settings, they simply made the car weigh more or less. springs/dampers/downforce would not change and may need adjusted as well as possibly the weight being more shifted toward the front or rear than it was before.

Weight changes had no effect on any settings, they simply made the car weigh more or less. springs/dampers/downforce would not change and may need adjusted as well as possibly the weight being more shifted toward the front or rear than it was before.
I can't recall how it was in FM4, but weight changes do effect tunes. Anything that effects weight will throw off your settings you had set on your springs.

Yeah, they are just career added "perks", there might be for example,12% brake increase or weight removal, some are unlimited use while others are one time use. Once you play you will see....
I can't recall how it was in FM4, but weight changes do effect tunes. Anything that effects weight will throw off your settings you had set on your springs.
That's what I was wondering, I had a car tuned at 3289lbs but when I used a weight reduction mod, it went to 3029lbs. I assumed it would affect my tune.

I'm not sure what you mean there either. If you are saying that adding or dropping some weight changed the actual values of the springs then I have never saw that happen in the 100s of tunes I had did.
If you are saying that the springs and such need to be adjusted to accommodate the change in weight then that of course is true and would be more of a factor with large changes or changes that effect the weight distribution.

I can't remember if changing the drive train changed the spring settings or not but am pretty sure that the weight reduction mods did not nor adding weight via roll cage or wheels.

As for the question at hand, I would assume that a % mod would evenly remove the weight so it would not effect weight distribution and if that be the case then it should not hurt the tune unless it was pretty stiff to start with then it may be to stiff with less weight

I'm not sure what you mean there either. If you are saying that adding or dropping some weight changed the actual values of the springs then I have never saw that happen in the 100s of tunes I had did.
If you are saying that the springs and such need to be adjusted to accommodate the change in weight then that of course is true and would be more of a factor with large changes or changes that effect the weight distribution.

I can't remember if changing the drive train changed the spring settings or not but am pretty sure that the weight reduction mods did not nor adding weight via roll cage or wheels
No, I'm saying that adding/removing anything that effects weight in the slightest will effect the settings you had put in. It'll stiffen/soften the springs on its own. Considering your 100s of tunes are only from FM4, I'd expect you not to know about that lol.

No, I'm saying that adding/removing anything that effects weight in the slightest will effect the settings you had put in. It'll stiffen/soften the springs on its own. Considering your 100s of tunes are only from FM4, I'd expect you not to know about that lol.
Actually my 100s of tunes were not just from FM4 and 100s is a bit modest on my part ;) I probably did at least 50 tunes just for the 550 Spider on FM3

I have did lots of tuning in FM2,3,4 GT4,5,6 Project Cars, GTR2, GT Legends and many others.

If Forza does now alter the actual spring rates when you change weight then that could be a good or bad thing. I just don't recall seeing that before.

Actually my 100s of tunes were not just from FM4 and 100s is a bit modest on my part ;)

I have did lots of tuning in FM2,3,4 GT4,5,6 Project Cars, GTR2, GT Legends and many others.

If Forza does now alter the actual spring rates when you change weight then that could be a good or bad thing. I just don't recall seeing that before.
My point was that you haven't played since 4, regardless of how many tunes you did, or what games you've played. It has been this way since FM5 came out.

My point was that you haven't played since 4, regardless of how many tunes you did, or what games you've played. It has been this way since FM5 came out.
Ok.. will be interesting to see if it helps or hurts once I get it fired up tomorrow.

I am a bit surprised that I had not heard this already though as my brother is also a tuner and he did get FM5 and has been playing FM6, apparently he had not noticed it as of yet or forgot to mention it when we were talking about tuning yesterday.

Ok.. will be interesting to see if it helps or hurts once I get it fired up tomorrow.

I am a bit surprised that I had not heard this already though as my brother is also a tuner and he did get FM5 and has been playing FM6, apparently he had not noticed it as of yet or forgot to mention it when we were talking about tuning yesterday.
The only thing I can see being a problem, is altering a tune, and then switching back to your beginning state. If you forgot exactly where it was at before, it can be a pain.

Just to confirm, I just added the max weight reduction to my Jalpa. Before the modification I was at 699.9lb in the front, now it's at 568.8. If you remove weight it will soften, if weight is added it will stiffen.

On the topic of weight reduction, yes weight will affect how the car will handle in corners... watch your Lateral G's and you will see what I mean.

With Lateral G's... I'm finding for A Class cars that if you keep your lat. G's @ 1.24 to 1.28 @ 60MPH, the car handles just fine for speed tracks. Anything more than that will make it a grip tune for let's say for the sake of argument, Lime Rock Park. I'm also noticing that even though a handling stat may say, for example, a 5.8, that doesn't mean that the car will handle great. It's the Lateral g's that provide the information on how the car will handle.

Anyone else notice this?

Looks like they still have the case where a car that is raised in the front and lowered in the rear has a higher top speed. I can't say if that was the case in FM5 but it was in 3 and 4 and seems to be in 6 as well. I was really hoping that they would fix that.

Is anyone using Forzatune 5?? I loved this app in FM5, usualy gave you a great starting point. Ive been messing around with it for FM6 and Im finding the default Areo is a little stronger than in FM5. How are you adjusting??? I know I cant run the Caster Angle Forzatune suggests, makes the car sketchy in the corners

Is anyone using Forzatune 5?? I loved this app in FM5, usualy gave you a great starting point. Ive been messing around with it for FM6 and Im finding the default Areo is a little stronger than in FM5. How are you adjusting??? I know I cant run the Caster Angle Forzatune suggests, makes the car sketchy in the corners

Never used a tuning calculator myself but i've heard Forzatune 5 works for 6.

The only other thing that you may need to change is the brake balance as they've corrected it in FM6 meaning it's no longer backwards. i.e if you ran 47% in FM5 (most people did) it's now 53% in FM6

What caster setting is it telling you to use? 5 - 5.5 should be good for most tracks, not had a chance to test yet myself as i've only just got the game.

Never used a tuning calculator myself but i've heard Forzatune 5 works for 6.

The only other thing that you may need to change is the brake balance as they've corrected it in FM6 meaning it's no longer backwards. i.e if you ran 47% in FM5 (most people did) it's now 53% in FM6

What caster setting is it telling you to use? 5 - 5.5 should be good for most tracks, not had a chance to test yet myself as i've only just got the game.
What do you mean its no longer backwards?? You mean 53% FRONT??....In Forzatune 5 it always suggested 55-53% Front. And I still run that on FM6 and it seems to do well. As far as the Caster angles it always say 6.1, 6.2 or 6.3, which I found was not very good. Now I just leave it at the default 5.0

I use pedals so I run about 80 on my brake pressure, but I know guys with controllers running 130

Yeah brake pressure is sort of up to the player and how they want it to feel. I have not played around with it really on 6 much but in the past it seems that anything 75 and over would be ok. When I used the controller I used to use 75% and then when I got the club sport pedals I went to 125% just because it required so much pressure on the pedal if less than 125 that it was hard to slow down.

As far as a lighter car out braking, well that is normal, all other things being equal the lighter car will always slow down faster than a heavier one.

Back