Am i doing something wrong?

• Thread starter brysonwong
  • 105 comments
Singapore
Singapore
brysonwong
I'm using G27 with FFB set at 5. I'm able to drift smoothly in the online lobby, Tsukuba track for an example. The problem is that during tandem, I always have a hard time trying to catch up to the car ahead of me, even when drifting he's always pulling away from me even when I'm full throttling the gas pedal.. I'm using the BTR to drift and has 0 front and 0.02 rear toe in tho..

Well theres your problem right there. Flat foot does not always mean you'll go faster.Your foot should only be flat when you are exiting the corner otherwise between 50-75% from initiation to countersteer scenario.Also if you don't you ABS you will find it alot harder to tandem. try -0.15 toe front and 1.00 toe rear.

Last edited:
SLaBaTaC is wrong also, about many things.

The throttle amount depends entirely on the torque output, tires, and gear ratios. It is impossible to say that you should use full throttle at any point in the drift in any car. Yes, it is possible for full throttle to be the ideal power output, but this is almost always a rare case.

Flat throttle output at 4000 RPM is different than flat throttle at 8000 RPM.
Flat out throttle output is different on CH tires than it is on CM tires.
Flat out throttle output is different with any different gear ratios.
Flat out throttle output is different on every single car.
Flat out throttle output is different depending on what shape the power band is.

Because of all of this, "rules of thumb" like when you should floor it will almost always slow you down and make your drifting worse compared to careful control.

If you want to improve speed in a drift, balance is the secret. It has nothing to do with power output. You only need (on CH-CS tires) about ~1 ft/lbs per 3kg weight on the rear tires to pull off a smooth drift (that's 166 ft/lbs in a 1000kg 50/50 weight distribution car), and if you're particularly skilled, you can do it with less power or no throttle whatsoever.

The real secret here is that your speed is not determined by the throttle input, but by the overall grip of the tires. On most cars, the ideal throttle input is actually very low. Anything more and the car will slow down.

So if you want to drift fast, try to make the tires with the most weight on them in the corner point in the direction you want to go, and the tires that point in the direction you want to go already have more weight on them.

Then, do that while choosing an optimal angle and line, and you'll speed up.

Most good]/i] drifters online lose about .3-.4 seconds per corner when they're going at speed compared to what their car is capable of. Over a course like Tsukuba, that could mean 5-6 seconds of falling behind if you're trying to follow them.

Watch your speed while you drift. Does it bounce down as you apex? Does it go up in the middle of the corner? Does it fluctuate between a few numbers? What you want is it to drop only when you are braking, keep dropping as you trail brake and initiate the drift, and then stop at the optimal speed for the corner and stay there until corner exit, where it increases at the same rate that the corner straightens out, and the same rate that the tires regain traction. Depending on the car, sometimes only 1/8th throttle is necessary to get the max acceleration.

While the BTR is not known for drifting fast (mostly due to the tire shape/size and suspension configuration) ultimately the car and tune doesn't matter, I've yet to meet an online drifter in a lobby who was so good that the only way to keep up was to use a higher spec car. Knowing the tires and how they are held onto the ground is what you need to worry about. The rest follows from that.

Last edited:
i think he wants the basics on how 2 drift eh not a bloody essay... lol

I didn't realise there was an upper limit on how long an informative and very helpful post can be.

Great advice Ghost; Bryson if you really want to improve read over Ghost's post very carefully and do your best to understand what he's trying to say - it really will help you.

i think he wants the basics on how 2 drift eh not a bloody essay... lol

If you want the basics, falling behind a car in front of you is your least concern.

If you want to catch up to a faster drifter, its not a matter of the basics, its a matter of subtle technique.

I would just say ease on the throttle a bit more, just from hearing you say you go full throttle. I find it amusing how much faster the car can drift if you use less throttle at times. It's just a case of not spinning away your grip with the throttle. As said before, balance is neccecary

If you want the basics, falling behind a car in front of you is your least concern.

If you want to catch up to a faster drifter, its not a matter of the basics, its a matter of subtle technique.

Would gladly put my theory vs yours on the track :sly:

Last edited:
would gladly put my theory vs yours on the track :sly:

I don't know you, and no one important has ever mentioned you to me. This means you're not worth my time.

If its any consolation, your team leader (Driftworks slide) is decent enough, and one of the better Kiwi/Aussie drifters. If you can outdrift him in every way, then maybe I'll pay you some attention.

Last edited:
Actually ghost is right you don't want to be full throttle on the wheel. Only time I full throttle is on some transitions. The right RPM is key to smoothness.

In my opinion: If people pull away when you're trying to tandem, don't tandem with them. Everything Ghost said is basically useless if you consider the fact that IF people want to tandem, they won't pull away like that. They would either change car or driving style. If they pull away like that: Their loss. ;)

Believe me, it doesn't matter how fast you are. In the end it's all about consistency.

Ghost: And would you think I was worth your time, or do you consider yourself too important for me too?

I think what ghost is saying is you can get more traction with lower revs than with full revs mid drift. Witch is 100% correct. A lot of the smooth consistent drifters that I have watched like decoy rarely hit full throttle when drifting.

Believe me, it doesn't matter how fast you are. In the end it's all about consistency.

Sums up everything nicely. Stay balanced while drifting; Catch up by not flooring it and using less angle, and slow for the other person by using more throttle and more steering angle.

By the way Dom, am I alright to tandem with? I've been trying to get better with the G27

Sums up everything nicely. Stay balanced while drifting; Catch up by not flooring it and using less angle, and slow for the other person by using more throttle and more steering angle.

By the way Dom, am I alright to tandem with? I've been trying to get better with the G27

I don't know exactly, there are some really decent members on your team, but I cant tell them apart most of the time. Plus my internet is quite bad lately which makes me laggy. ;)

I don't mind an essay if the advice is useful. Why didn't I thought about having a balanced car?! Thanks for pointing out to me. Read up everyone's advice, thank you so much everyone. :)

I agree with Gonales, there are sets of cars that just 'work' together in terms of speed at certain angles and in transitions. It's why I rage so hard in the MCR lobbies when everyone is in an m3 or a chaser with 500bhp+, they just launch away from my s13's ae86's and my mk3 supra. I might aswell solo drift!

I agree with Gonales, there are sets of cars that just 'work' together in terms of speed at certain angles and in transitions. It's why I rage so hard in the MCR lobbies when everyone is in an m3 or a chaser with 500bhp+, they just launch away from my s13's ae86's and my mk3 supra. I might aswell solo drift!

Yo I don't use speed deamons lol. But I know what you mean.

Last edited:
the BTR is just slow... come on people. You can get more grip if you limit the power some or more negative rear toe or less rear camber... these things usually help gain some traction but you sacrifice angle.

Drift_Monkey
the BTR is just slow... come on people. You can get more grip if you limit the power some or more negative rear toe or less rear camber... these things usually help gain some traction but you sacrifice angle.

I agree with your points DM.

If you are reducing power, you would want to tweak your suspension as well. It usually only requires minor changes.

The thing that people tend to overlook the most is the transmission settings. For me, gearing is just as important as suspension and power. Proper gearing can help with minimizing (or maximizing) angle.

But then again many people are using the angle hack. :rolleyes:

I hope GT6 eliminates all exploits.

DGambino1
But then again many people are using the angle hack. :rolleyes:
It's not a angle hack.

It is a steering modification. It is not unrealistic in any way. People who use unrealistic amounts of the steering angle, are most likely garbage players anyway. Sorry to be blunt about it, but I am just stating a fact. I have tested realistic numbers for this, and the game will simulate wheel bind, so it can only be pushed so far.

Try it before you knock it Gam. I can walk you through on what I tested.
Also I don't use it in competitions, so don't be so judgmental about it yet. Also it fixes a lot of things that are wrong with DS3 controllers while drifting. Like not being able to turn full lock and the famous DS3 user wheel bobbing back and forth. All of these things can be fixed with a realistic number.

I told Rice that I would help him out with it soon, I just haven't had the time. But please, take the time to learn about it before you shoot it down.

Lock2Lock
It's not a angle hack.

It is a steering modification. It is not unrealistic in any way. People who use unrealistic amounts of the steering angle, are most likely garbage players anyway. Sorry to be blunt about it, but I am just stating a fact. I have tested realistic numbers for this, and the game will simulate wheel bind, so it can only be pushed so far.

Try it before you knock it Gam. I can walk you through on what I tested.
Also I don't use it in competitions, so don't be so judgmental about it yet. Also it fixes a lot of things that are wrong with DS3 controllers while drifting. Like not being able to turn full lock and the famous DS3 user wheel bobbing back and forth. All of these things can be fixed with a realistic number.

I told Rice that I would help him out with it soon, I just haven't had the time. But please, take the time to learn about it before you shoot it down.

The thing I dont like about it is that some people take it too far like you said and can hold 90 in almost any corner. That makes it very hard for the people without it such as myself. I personally had it on my supra, but I did not like the way it felt so I got rid of it. As long as they use realistic numbers I'm ok with it.

I had it and hated it, I can see it benefiting DS3 users but it feels terrible on a wheel. I agree with Eric chasing people with it is a waste of time.

Reddee
I had it and hated it, I can see it benefiting DS3 users but it feels terrible on a wheel. I agree with Eric chasing people with it is a waste of time.

No car is the same. Different numbers for each car/tune and driver. What I was saying is that you have to stay in a certain range. That's what I tried to tell Eric, though not everyone will like the way it feels, as expected. It works well with my tunes, but put you in the same car you may not like it.

The thing I dont like about it is that some people take it too far like you said and can hold 90 in almost any corner. That makes it very hard for the people without it such as myself. I personally had it on my supra, but I did not like the way it felt so I got rid of it. As long as they use realistic numbers I'm ok with it.

I use it, on a 350Z. And honestly, besides angle, I also gained a LOT of consistency and smoothness because of it. It (for me) makes the game more fun. :)

I think I know what they are talking about, but i'm not sure which way is up...if you get my drift.

I like driving with my foot down. I hate setting the throttle and cruising so I buy less engine parts, but then when I need the power it's not there. So I just deal with the speed loss by enjoying how cool an aristo stg III turbo sounds.

I thought with toe out in the rear you lose traction?

There are companies that actually make angle kits that will allow you to hold 90* angle while drifting for a select few cars.

How is chasing people with it a waste of time? People with it are great to tandem with because the angle slows their speed down a good bit making them easy to follow. I added angle to one of my cars because I was at the cars limit as it was and was dragging the trailing wheel everywhere. I gained consistency and smoothness with the added angle. And I have added angle to my real car as well. I've got a lot of tuning to do to it though.
I use it, on a 350Z. And honestly, besides angle, I also gained a LOT of consistency and smoothness because of it. It (for me) makes the game more fun. :)

Agreed.

I have a few BTRs with different power settings. My fastest one has 360hp no engine upgrades, but all the weight out. It is also raised up from the stock height. As Gambino said the transmission is key though. I've spent a long time on a few transmission including my "cheater" camaro and it pays off for that really close tandem action.

Suzuki
There are companies that actually make angle kits that will allow you to hold 90* angle while drifting for a select few cars.

How is chasing people with it a waste of time? People with it are great to tandem with because the angle slows their speed down a good bit making them easy to follow. I added angle to one of my cars because I was at the cars limit as it was and was dragging the trailing wheel everywhere. I gained consistency and smoothness with the added angle. And I have added angle to my real car as well. I've got a lot of tuning to do to it though.

Agreed.

Yeah I know what your saying. I will mess around with it some more.

Back