Am i doing something wrong?

• Thread starter brysonwong
  • 105 comments
Suzuki
How is chasing people with it a waste of time? People with it are great to tandem with because the angle slows their speed down a good bit making them easy to follow. I added angle to one of my cars because I was at the cars limit as it was and was dragging the trailing wheel everywhere. I gained consistency and smoothness with the added angle.

I'm rather glad it's slowed you down a bit TBH. Not glad you continue to get even stupider amounts of angle for even longer periods of time like it's a Sunday stroll through the park. Makes chasing you a real pain in the (_Y_) at times, but in a good way...

Not disagreeing that high degrees of steering lock doesn't feel like crap at times. I have found that playing with the lock and your tune can provide excellent results in steering feel (wheels) with increased steering response, and obviously greater control at higher angles. That being said I'll continue to fiddle around with my cars steering lock.

Seeing as how there are guys actually running 60-70 degrees of steering lock, I say to each their own and have at it if you like it... :)

Level7 Mustang Kit
81c45dba.jpg

Wisefab Kits
530240_260126457437876_895080467_n.jpg

img_0069.jpg

Parts Shop Max Kits
1320997751_2_FT9086_mattfangle.jpg

969668_482412815166037_193568017_n.jpg

Track Day Performance
TDPinstall_zps0ccec0c7.jpg

GP Sports
ssrshow7.jpg

image5_19_19.jpg

Last edited:
I have a few BTRs with different power settings. My fastest one has 360hp no engine upgrades, but all the weight out. It is also raised up from the stock height. As Gambino said the transmission is key though. I've spent a long time on a few transmission including my "cheater" camaro and it pays off for that really close tandem action.

I have a 400 HP one and its fine. I mean it might be a little slow compared to everyone else, but it is not too bad. I'm no expert on transmission tuning and likely never will be, but it could be faster.

And it can still maintain a good angle as other cars. Yes I have to occasionally rock back and forth with my DS3 (don't hate).

I agree with Gonales, there are sets of cars that just 'work' together in terms of speed at certain angles and in transitions. It's why I rage so hard in the MCR lobbies when everyone is in an m3 or a chaser with 500bhp+, they just launch away from my s13's ae86's and my mk3 supra. I might aswell solo drift!

Even though theres just 1 member of MCR using an M3, but okay -.-

I think he might be talking about public lobbies with nonmembers using M3s. I could be completely wrong though.

No, Ive seen him complaining a few times now in our lobbies because one of our members is using an m3.

No, Ive seen him complaining a few times now in our lobbies because one of our members is using an m3.

Oh. Well in that case, please disregard my previous post. I wasn't aware you were a part of MCR. I guess I should have checked your profile.

Lately I've been running toe out front and rear on my FC, around -0.15 and -0.25 respectively, just so that I can get the tail around to real-world angles, even though I have never run those figures in the real world. As a soon-to-be G27 user I'm not sure that it matters, but does this so-called 'trick' increase stability at ridiculous angle or does it simply make them more possible while leaving it up to the user to control it?

As a soon-to-be G27 user I'm not sure that it matters, but does this so-called 'trick' increase stability at ridiculous angle or does it simply make them more possible while leaving it up to the user to control it?

I feel like it's subjective to car, tune (this includes the "trick"), and driver. A good driver with the extra XX degrees of steering lock and a tune with plenty of steering wheel feeling will have a better chance at holding high angles for longer periods of time then a setup where you loose the force feedback sensation.

Lock2Lock stated that you need to stay in a range and I do agree with this, but I don't think wheel bind is the correct term. It's not hard to counter-steer back the other direction when at high degrees of lock. Or I've never felt that sensation at all in my experimenting with steering angle. I have felt the steering wheel feedback drop off completely (no feedback) for 50-90 degrees worth of steering wheel rotation (total 900 degrees) when trying very high degrees of lock (in game looks like 80-90 degrees of steering angle). However in these moments of zero feedback in the steering wheel, my front wheels are definitely still moving according to wheel input.

Suzuki once told me he thought it had a "quick steer" feeling to it, and I'm inclined to agree with that. Your wheel is still limited to XXX degrees of rotation, but your front wheels are no longer confined to their default steering lock. So your steering inputs will more than likely become more sensitive, depending on the amount of lock you choose to use.

Lock2Lock
It's not a angle hack.

It is a steering modification. It is not unrealistic in any way. People who use unrealistic amounts of the steering angle, are most likely garbage players anyway. Sorry to be blunt about it, but I am just stating a fact. I have tested realistic numbers for this, and the game will simulate wheel bind, so it can only be pushed so far.

Try it before you knock it Gam. I can walk you through on what I tested.
Also I don't use it in competitions, so don't be so judgmental about it yet. Also it fixes a lot of things that are wrong with DS3 controllers while drifting. Like not being able to turn full lock and the famous DS3 user wheel bobbing back and forth. All of these things can be fixed with a realistic number.

I told Rice that I would help him out with it soon, I just haven't had the time. But please, take the time to learn about it before you shoot it down.

Well it is a modification against what the developers created which is why I label it an exploit/hack.

Even when car hacks was fashionable I was only using an s15 with engine/transmission swap. Still a hack but I would never use it (or any hack) in a comp.

I may have to try out the steering mod privately to see what the hype is all about.

DGambino1
Well it is a modification against what the developers created which is why I label it an exploit/hack.

Even when car hacks was fashionable I was only using an s15 with engine/transmission swap. Still a hack but I would never use it (or any hack) in a comp.

I may have to try out the steering mod privately to see what the hype is all about.

I am with you on that. I don't use it in comps either. That's the best way to go.

I predicted someone was gonna come out with something lame like this.

May as well find a way to make all 4 wheels turn 90º so noobs dont even gotta try to get sideways anymore.

JustDrift893

May as well find a way to make all 4 wheels turn 90º so noobs dont even gotta try to get sideways anymore.

What? Seriously, what?

That still doesn't mean they harness the skills necessary to benefit from such mod. Most noobs are going to enter really high values and slingshot themselves in the opposite direction, so why worry.

Have you tried it yet?

I personally like it because I think of it as a way to reduce ackerman so I don't drag the trailing tire (still testing this theory). I use like 4-5* camber up front to have max tire contact at angle, but then though the leading tire is now blue, the trailing tire is often red so i'm trying to cure that.

That still doesn't mean they harness the skills necessary to benefit from such mod. Most noobs are going to enter really high values and slingshot themselves in the opposite direction, so why worry.

Have you tried it yet?

I personally like it because I think of it as a way to reduce ackerman so I don't drag the trailing tire (still testing this theory). I use like 4-5* camber up front to have max tire contact at angle, but then though the leading tire is now blue, the trailing tire is often red so i'm trying to cure that.

I use 2.3 camber in the front and 0.33 positive toe. :) No grip loss at any time. :)

Have you tried it yet?

Once one gets comfy with the steering mod and surpasses any difficulty adjusting, theres no problem, he gets buck

No worry, even extra steering angle wont help against an old timer.

Have i tried it ? No, I dont need to glue my feet to the skateboard to achieve more hang time.

Once one gets comfy with the steering mod and surpasses any difficulty adjusting, theres no problem, he gets buck

No worry, even extra steering angle wont help against an old timer.

Have i tried it ? No, I dont need to glue my feet to the skateboard to achieve more hang time.

You don't really want to try it. I'm happy with the angle I get. I don't need to cheat to have fun lol.

You don't really want to try it. I'm happy with the angle I get. I don't need to cheat to have fun lol.

It's not cheating if your not competing. You can't cheat doing free run In a drift lobby Dean.

I just think people are blowing this whole thing out of proportion. But hey I don't mind, I like it and I'm not forcing others to.

I use it to match guys on wheels & for the fun factor.

Reddee
You don't really want to try it. I'm happy with the angle I get. I don't need have it to have fun lol.

Fixed that for you.

I don't need it either. As I explained to Slick a few minutes ago, I use it for a certain kind of feeling. Also I don't use it in comps, so it isn't cheating. That's why I told JK83 repeatedly not to post it on NGU, but he did anyway. So now the result is everyone having it and using it in comps. So yeah call it what you want, but I am not using it to cheat. I use it for a better feel. That's all.

If you check in game footage there appears to be no change in ackerman, only total steering lock. I can see what you're saying about having that effect of not dragging the trailing front tire. I feel like this comes more from increased lock and reduced contact patch on the trailing front tire and not reduced ackerman. I still notice my trailing front tire go red, just not as often...

Red FC is standard lock. Green FC has been modified a bit. If you check the pictures of the trailing wheels side you'll notice there is pretty much no change in ackerman.
SpecialStageRouteX_zpse11c44d8.jpg

SpecialStageRouteX_1_zps0996f4b7.jpg

SpecialStageRouteX_2_zps3683c553.jpg

SpecialStageRouteX_3_zpsd3cf6165.jpg

If you don't know what ackerman is, here's a simple image I found online. A true reduction in ackerman would put the trailing front tire closer in angle to the leading front tire (i.e. - 30/25 degrees instead of 30/20 degrees). Basically closer to parallel steering but not over ackerman.
ackerman_steering.jpg

I'd much rather have the steering lock mod then have to go into public lobbies where everyone has a chassis swapped car (usually a TC or race car chassis). This is by far a much leveler playing field than the hodge podge cars of the hybrid days considering for the most part it's slowed people down. A few months ago it was Spirit R FD: TC chassis, 787B motor, and an ISF 7-speed transmission, super troll car for sure. And here everyone is all whining about steering lock. It's merely changing one aspect of the car's characteristics in a very minimal way. Seeing as how many aftermarket steering kits put you closer to parallel steering and this does not. Perhaps everyone should be happy we don't have caster adjustment, it would make increased steering lock have much more grip. So extra steering lock is training wheels? Please try it before you knock it. Or better yet, please don't try it and let those of us who have been experimenting and do like it enjoy it.

If nobody experimented the first time around we wouldn't of had the hybrid swaps that everyone seemed to love around here for a short period of time. "Oh 🤬 son! A converted to RWD R32 GTR with TC HERRAFRUSH chassis, FML I need one now, please build me one and send it to me now!" But steering lock? "Oh 🤬 no that's blasphemy!!!" :rolleyes:

MaliciousMD
...I'd much rather have the steering lock mod then have to go into public lobbies where everyone has a chassis swapped car (usually a TC or race car chassis). This is by far a much leveler playing field than the hodge podge cars of the hybrid days considering for the most part it's slowed people down. A few months ago it was Spirit R FD: TC chassis, 787B motor, and an ISF 7-speed transmission, super troll car for sure. And here everyone is all whining about steering lock. It's merely changing one aspect of the car's characteristics in a very minimal way. Seeing as how many aftermarket steering kits put you closer to parallel steering and this does not. Perhaps everyone should be happy we don't have caster adjustment, it would make increased steering lock have much more grip. So extra steering lock is training wheels? Please try it before you knock it. Or better yet, please don't try it and let those of us who have been experimenting and do like it enjoy it.

If nobody experimented the first time around we wouldn't of had the hybrid swaps that everyone seemed to love around here for a short period of time. "Oh 🤬 son! A converted to RWD R32 GTR with TC HERRAFRUSH chassis, FML I need one now, please build me one and send it to me now!" But steering lock? "Oh 🤬 no that's blasphemy!!!" :rolleyes:

I didn't mean to start a riot on this topic.. Lol! I should have added that I don't like when I'm tandeming with someone who tries to reverse entry every freakin turn.

Most of us veterans can tell if a car is modded. The 'steering mod' slows the car down so much BUT still allows someone to get out of their mistake. Normally if you get too much angle - you are spinning or slowing to a stop(95% of the time) - but with the 'steering mod' it is possible to get out of that situation. I have seen it and we have replicated it in our own private lounge sessions. That's my beef with it.

But hey, if its all in good fun - I'm all for it!

You and I always have epic tandems. If you were using the steering mod, I never noticed and it never affected my ability to tandem with you. 👍

In my mind, tandem drifting is true skill.

Agreed Gam.

Like I said, it depends on the person's driving style, car tune to where it will slow down the car or not.

I didn't mean to start a riot on this topic.. Lol! I should have added that I don't like when I'm tandeming with someone who tries to reverse entry every freakin turn.

Most of us veterans can tell if a car is modded. The 'steering mod' slows the car down so much BUT still allows someone to get out of their mistake. Normally if you get too much angle - you are spinning or slowing to a stop(95% of the time) - but with the 'steering mod' it is possible to get out of that situation. I have seen it and we have replicated it in our own private lounge sessions. That's my beef with it.

But hey, if its all in good fun - I'm all for it!

You and I always have epic tandems. If you were using the steering mod, I never noticed and it never affected my ability to tandem with you. 👍

In my mind, tandem drifting is true skill.

No riot from my end. Just feel it's a bit hypocritical when there are some people calling steering lock users cheaters when I've seen these people in lobbies driving the ridiculous hybrids of old.

Yes Gambino I always have fun drifting with you or any of your guys. I have run a few of my cars with the lock mod with you. You probably didn't notice it as I don't use the full range of lock very often, for the most part my driving style hasn't changed with the increased lock. Just because you have a large amount of steering lock doesn't mean you need to use it all the time. And as Lock2Lock said he uses it for steering feel, I use it for the same reasons.

I do feel you on the reverse entries at every corner though. *COUGH* LayNLow *COUGH* :lol:. You're my boy but 🤬 it's not easy to follow closely.

MaliciousMD
No riot from my end. Just feel it's a bit hypocritical when there are some people calling steering lock users cheaters when I've seen these people in lobbies driving the ridiculous hybrids of old.

Yes Gambino I always have fun drifting with you or any of your guys. I have run a few of my cars with the lock mod with you. You probably didn't notice it as I don't use the full range of lock very often, for the most part my driving style hasn't changed with the increased lock. Just because you have a large amount of steering lock doesn't mean you need to use it all the time. And as Lock2Lock said he uses it for steering feel, I use it for the same reasons.

I do feel you on the reverse entries at every corner though. *COUGH* LayNLow *COUGH* :lol:. You're my boy but 🤬 it's not easy to follow closely.

Exactly well said.

I am the same way. I hardly ever use the full rotation too. No need to do that all the time. There is a lot to this than just the angle itself. Some will not see it, some will.

Yeah Low was goes crazy. He always has. I haven't seen him in a long time though. I also haven't seen you in a long time. What account you using these days?

Exactly well said.

I am the same way. I hardly ever use the full rotation too. No need to do that all the time. There is a lot to this than just the angle itself. Some will not see it, some will.

Yeah Low was goes crazy. He always has. I haven't seen him in a long time though. I also haven't seen you in a long time. What account you using these days?

Yeah I probably should have mentioned he's always going for big entry, big angle, this is his style for sure. That's what I find interesting in following him is our styles completely conflict making it much more difficult for me to follow at least.

Same account I always use which is the same as my GTP username. I played with Fenrir and Rex a few days ago. Fenrir is like "Yo check this out bro! You're gonna love it!" I'm like "Yup me too..." and proceeded to turn my steering wheel to lock. :lol:

MaliciousMD
Yeah I probably should have mentioned he's always going for big entry, big angle, this is his style for sure. That's what I find interesting in following him is our styles completely conflict making it much more difficult for me to follow at least.

Same account I always use which is the same as my GTP username. I played with Fenrir and Rex a few days ago. Fenrir is like "Yo check this out bro! You're gonna love it!" I'm like "Yup me too..." and proceeded to turn my steering wheel to lock. :lol:

Oh ok. I am going to add you back.

I don't like when I'm tandeming with someone who tries to reverse entry every freakin turn. In my mind, tandem drifting is true skill.

Sums it up right there. Nobody likes being forced to correct that abruptly when someone is trying to show off, whether they do it 100% legit or by way of a 'frowned-upon' modification. I admit, I'll throw some wild angled entry in occasionally, but only when I'm outpacing somewhat or something happened to cause the follower to fall back a significant amount.

As it is, I would much rather follow than lead, because I only have to mind how close I am to the lead car rather than mind my own pacing (which I've yet to get a good grip on--though grip may not be the best word to use here). Again, this is with my 322hp FC. Yeah it has an illicit modification (race cat), but that provides a decent rpm bump and a kick in the pants lost by not building the engine fully.

if steering lock can be modified in real life then why not do it in the game... but because not everyone can do it or not everyone uses it make it have an advantage over others

Back