amateur photo thread.

• Thread starter Conbon14
  • 1,831 comments
10559682_737062386352025_1652916109214040267_n.jpg

My car :)

Actually, that is EXTREMELY impressive! It is Super difficult to get a close-up of ANY animal, much less of one on a finger! Wow! Good Job!

December+Ice+Storm+2013_3.jpg

Last year's ice storm.

Oh wow, that is very pretty. :embarrassed:

Anyway, I got these while I was out with my D5200 today while I was hanging around the barn where my sister boards her horse:

This is a different horse, I was just standing by the fence when he walked up to me, and these eyes are some of the most gorgeous I've ever seen on anything:

I then had a very close call with this giant horsefly, and figured I could get a good shot with where he landed:

And then I met up with my sister, and got a little focus on her horse, Indy:

And here she is riding him:

And this is one of the ones that was just sorta watching me out of the corner of his eye as he ate:

And to avoid spamming up the thread with photos I've posted elsewhere, I posted a batch of photos of my car that I'm pretty proud of: Here's the post, and here's my favorite of that set:

Anyway, I got these while I was out with my D5200 today while I was hanging around the barn where my sister boards her horse:
How do you like it? It's one I'm considering for my next camera, as well as the D5300 and Pentax K-5 II.

Tone the HDR down a bit... clouds generally aren't darker than shadows in the foreground.

The conditions were wrong as the sun was almost directly over me and there was a prescribed burn going on behind me which was blowing the clouds out.

The conditions were wrong as the sun was almost directly over me and there was a prescribed burn going on behind me which was blowing the clouds out.

I understand complex exposure situations, having done more than my fair share of mergers for the sky and landscape, but you've gone too far with the micro-contrast and tone mapping. Being subtle is essential, in my opinion, for HDR photography to not feel gimmicky. What software are you using to create the merger and manage the mapping?

I understand complex exposure situations, having done more than my fair share of mergers for the sky and landscape, but you've gone too far with the micro-contrast and tone mapping. Being subtle is essential, in my opinion, for HDR photography to not feel gimmicky. What software are you using to create the merger and manage the mapping?

First off thanks for taking the time to really look at my photo.

I realize I tend to run away with the effects, I have trouble telling where that "too much" point is and what to adjust/not to. Then once I've been staring at the image too long I lose track and don't realize how far I went. I'm trying to get better, I just keep tinkering with stuff when I should just stop.

I have never had formal teaching in photography and just always liked taking pictures so I'm really unfamiliar with a lot of the professional lingo, rules, and terminology. If you noticed in one of the recent Bi-Weekly contests I didn't even know what time of day that was being referred to when I thought I did :indiff:. When I see people talking about lenses and all that jazz I have no idea what Im reading haha, like how many different types of 50mm and knowing what they do differently and when to utilize them is all a mystery to me.

I always feel so rushed when it comes to taking pictures to, like I should just drive up to a area and see all these great perspectives and start setting up my shots. Then its time to go, I rarely get/spend more then 10mins in a location before I have to leave. Which is just something I have to work on I guess. When I get to a area I all of a sudden feel like I have no idea what I'm looking for, I feel like I don't have great "vision" for pictures.

As for post processing software I use PhotoMatix for the HDR mergers, Lightroom 5(just got it) for touching up, and Photoshop CS5 for elemental manipulations/watermark.

I realize I tend to run away with the effects, I have trouble telling where that "too much" point is and what to adjust/not to. Then once I've been staring at the image too long I lose track and don't realize how far I went. I'm trying to get better, I just keep tinkering with stuff when I should just stop.

It is a mix of practice and observation. I've overcooked many HDR efforts only to realize that I need to step back and stop tweaking things.

I have never had formal teaching in photography and just always liked taking pictures so I'm really unfamiliar with a lot of the professional lingo, rules, and terminology. If you noticed in one of the recent Bi-Weekly contests I didn't even know what time of day that was being referred to when I thought I did :indiff:. When I see people talking about lenses and all that jazz I have no idea what Im reading haha, like how many different types of 50mm and knowing what they do differently and when to utilize them is all a mystery to me.

I studied film photography for half a year. In 2005. Digital is entirely self taught and most of my technical knowledge on gear is a result of self study and exploration. Read articles, look into the technology, explore various techniques, and just be curious. Photography is extremely diverse, ranging from liquid photography to sweeping landscape and everything in between, including surreal underwater work and so on.

The tools, techniques, and terms vary from style to style and its just a matter of looking into what interests you. I got into photography because I was inspired by the work of Ansel Adams, which resonated with my small town upbringing in the mountains. My interest has expanded from there, looking into portrait work and a particular interest in Tokyo street photography, especially the work of Alfie Goodrich. Just look for photographers you enjoy and try to understand why you appreciate their work. Look through sites like flickr and 500px, etc.

I always feel so rushed when it comes to taking pictures to, like I should just drive up to a area and see all these great perspectives and start setting up my shots. Then its time to go, I rarely get/spend more then 10mins in a location before I have to leave. Which is just something I have to work on I guess. When I get to a area I all of a sudden feel like I have no idea what I'm looking for, I feel like I don't have great "vision" for pictures.

Pre-visualization is a concept discussed by Ansel Adams, where envision a photo in your mind before you arrive on site, or even see the subject/conditions/weather. This can range from visualizing a mountain pass with clouds gently rolling over the crests to a rally car scattering gravel as it clips an apex, a woman silhouetted against city lights to freezing the wings of a humming bird as it collects nectar. The idea is you understand what shot you want to get before you head out the door. Of course, things can change and you may walk away appreciating a completely different photo after the shoot, but cultivating your mind to think about composition and so on helps immensely.

As for post processing software I use PhotoMatix for the HDR mergers, Lightroom 5(just got it) for touching up, and Photoshop CS5 for elemental manipulations/watermark.

PhotoMatix is a decent bit of software and what I've done most of my HDR type work in. My general workflow for HDR is PhotoMatix and then editing in Photoshop to tweak parts of the images with dodging and burning. I use Lr for watermarks when I export more than Photoshop but I don't generally watermark images because I find it ugly and a bit useless. For most of my images, I just use Bridge to browse the RAW files and open them in Adobe Raw when bringing them into Photoshop. Just a workflow I got use to before I started using Lightroom.

Tried taking a moon shot. I photoshopped some stars into the background just for some feel on one of them.

I live in Massachusetts which means "Meet at Blue Hills" in a Native American language and I live pretty close to that mountain, Blue Hills. Here's some pictures I took of the road that goes up it.

Picture me and my wife took back in 2009 just found it.

Canon EOS 30D
ƒ/3.5
28.0 mm 0.4sec ISO250

New Legacy GT shots
Canon EOS 50D
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L
ƒ/4.5 27.0 mm 1/100 ISO100

Canon EOS 50D
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L
ƒ/4.0 17.0 mm 1/200 ISO100

Back