amateur photo thread.

• Thread starter Conbon14
  • 1,831 comments
You're too kind. :embarrassed:

In other news, I've spotted some, er, spots on the bottom one. That's what I get for using a stupidly high aperture! Luckily, they're pretty easy to remove.

Edit: And they're gone, hopefully I got 'em all. Also messed with the toning a bit and got rid of that distracting spot without any grass in the bottom left corner.

Last edited:
@Turtle - really like that first shot. If you don't mind me saying, I feel an 11x14 crop that removes a bit of the water (the near black of the bottom of the frame pulls my attention a bit too much) and maybe burn in the details just slightly on the far cliff face might add a little punch. If you shot raw, you can sometimes fiddle with color saturation and luminence to pull detail back into the sky sometimes.

As a whole, these are all fairly strong photos. Good job.

@Azuremen I hadn't thought about cropping it, I will experiment with it tomorrow, since I've got nothing to do. I thought about burning and dodging on a few of these, but I find it a bit intimidating, I know very little about Photoshop other than adjusting basic things. I did indeed shoot raw - after trying it I couldn't go back - and I will continue fiddling with things over the course of the next few days until I get some more photos to occupy myself with.

As always, thank you for your advice, it means a lot to have skilled photographers like yourself giving me advice on how to improve. The praise I've got on these photos from people has really made my evening (Or at this point, my very early morning).

Here are a few many photos from a car show last weekend. Not posting these in the "What Did You See Today" threads since those are meant for showing the whole car, rather than the details. Anyway, nothing amazing, but they're alright.

Okay, from now on I'll only post a few at a time. :lol:

My camera is an old hand-me-down DSLR with photo quality only slightly better than my smartphone, but I make do I suppose.

Sorry to blow the dust off such an old post, but it sounds like you are talking about megapixel count rather than actual quality. A DSLR's sensor is much larger than that of a phone, and the optics would be far superior. Even a 6mp DSLR would take a better shot than a 10mp phone. 👍

Your holiday snaps are really cool with some great tones in them 👍​

Sorry to blow the dust off such an old post, but it sounds like you are talking about megapixel count rather than actual quality. A DSLR's sensor is much larger than that of a phone, and the optics would be far superior. Even a 6mp DSLR would take a better shot than a 10mp phone. 👍

Your holiday snaps are really cool with some great tones in them 👍​
I have since learned the error of my ways. I did a lot of research on DSLRs and what each part does etc. And now I know that that statement is wrong. There's a lot more than megapixel count that's for sure.

D3200 images... just starting out after learning from a Minolta X-700...

Focal length : 130.0mm (35mm equivalent: 195mm)
Exposure time: 0.0050 s (1/200)
Aperture : f/5.0
ISO equiv. : 200
Whitebalance : Auto
Metering Mode: pattern
Exposure : Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

phpI9HrtcPM.jpg

Focal length : 18.0mm (35mm equivalent: 27mm)
Exposure time: 0.500 s (1/2)
Aperture : f/4.5
ISO equiv. : 400

phpMGcE2APM.jpg

Focal length : 24.0mm (35mm equivalent: 36mm)
Exposure time: 1.000 s
Aperture : f/11.0
ISO equiv. : 100
php2ygieSPM.jpg

Exposure time: 30.000 s
Aperture : f/4.0
ISO equiv. : 200
011b43a2b8cc7cfff1c6e1180373edd1c6fca22f35.jpg

Exposure time: 30.000 s
Aperture : f/4.0
ISO equiv. : 1600

(Clouds messed this one up, and then there was a satellite that went and streaked across the middle.. pretty noisy too)
01877d176d8d3235084581fb4e8a6622d2d28187df.jpg

There's some really good stuff in here guys, I'm especially liking @Turtle's last post. Once this thread popped up I started feeling a bit guilty for having my own, as if my photos are too good to be posted in an amateur photo thread. :lol: I will try to add to the collection soon.

Went to a concert where a local Journey cover band was playing and got a few photos. They were really good (Surprising, considering I consider Journey just "alright"), but I kind of wish I could have gone back the next day, Blue Öyster Cult was playing.

Here are some photos from my August vacation out West with my wife's family:

14922648726_3f02f02ed0_c.jpg

14945282042_375a51e3ec_c.jpg

14945676115_c5701046a9_c.jpg

14922652786_267c125191_c.jpg

14945290922_345d335375_c.jpg

14945443422_dd750948e7_c.jpg

14922782066_52b4793a6f_c.jpg

14945766305_8793a9a3b8_c.jpg

(The one above was shot taken while on horseback! 👍) :D (Edited for clarity)

14922767456_f955907a08_c.jpg

14945393532_c62dd13cc5_c.jpg

14945739285_c59d8f1970_c.jpg

14759074330_c4a0b5f081_c.jpg

14945386572_1337d6a5fc_c.jpg

14759082288_ecb18528a3_c.jpg

14942603851_ccc1287cee_c.jpg

14759056560_f422d25f8a_c.jpg

14922737596_79670a8da5_c.jpg

The last one isn't such a great shot but I was under time pressure (had to both run up here and run back). Hopefully everybody knows where it is? :)
[/I]

Last edited:
Focal length : 48.0mm
Exposure time: 1/125
Aperture : f/5.6
phpmZyYrBPM.jpg

Focal length : 18.0mm
Exposure time:1/2500
Aperture : f/3.5
phpZvvLZzPM.jpg

* I have a quick question for you all out there with Nikons, or if anyone else knows what to do..

I have my picture quality set to Large, so almost all my files are 7-14 Mb, which are too large to post on GTP straight from the card. I've been using shrinkpictures(dot)com to combat this and now some of the pics are too large for that software to even process... soooo rather than lower the original quality (I don't shoot RAW yet, I don't have LR) of the pictures, "how do you do it?"

other files that couldn't fit..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127820210@N04/15063567340/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127820210@N04/15250211055/in/photostream/

Just seeing these pictures now. @Turtle, great shots from your vacation, love the colors and tones. You should definitely start your own thread and gallery as I feel like you have the eye for it. 👍

@Swagger897 If they're too big you can open them in pretty much any photo editing program (Even MS Paint) and resize them. As long as you keep the aspect ratio the same they shouldn't look any different, but they'll be small enough to post to GTP directly, and won't take up as much space. I recommend keeping a copy of the original just in case something goes horribly wrong.

Hopefully I understood and answered your question correctly. And how are you liking the D3200? If I become too impatient to save for an enthusiast-level camera, I'll seriously consider it.

@Crash Thank you; I've thought about making my own thread, but I'd like to be able to go out and get photos more consistently before that. Hopefully that will happen when I get my own car but that won't occur for quite some time. Plus I'm still an amateur. :lol: Only been doing photography for a few months.

@Swagger897 If they're too big you can open them in pretty much any photo editing program (Even MS Paint) and resize them. As long as you keep the aspect ratio the same they shouldn't look any different, but they'll be small enough to post to GTP directly, and won't take up as much space. I recommend keeping a copy of the original just in case something goes horribly wrong.
Yeah, I have folders of all the originals on my laptop, and then an edits folder, maybe a resize is in order now...

Hopefully I understood and answered your question correctly. And how are you liking the D3200? If I become too impatient to save for an enthusiast-level camera, I'll seriously consider it.

I love it.

There are a few things about it that make me a bit upset about it, but for an entry level, and one of the best rated ones, it gets the job done. For instance, when you grip the camera, you're only gonna get three fingers wrapped around it, including the index finger, unless you act like you are filing your nails. The buttons seemed a but odd placed, even though it's the third gen of the 3000 line up, especially the record and aperture, but you have a function button to play with it.
Video I don't use much, because it's not a camcorder.

The first camera that got me into photography was my dad's Minolta X700. I sorta forgot about it all and then I saw a YT channel called DigitalRev. I probably watched every single video they made in the course of three days, and that's where ideas got made..

If I was a bit more wise, I'd go for the 5200, but I can't quite figure out why... Im planning on keeping this one for about 5-6 years, or whenever the sensor craps.. By then I'll be out of college and have some change. I'd like a D810 right now, but I don't have that much laying around..

I've seen some good images with nice glass with the D3200 so we will see where that goes. What I really want now is an intravolometer to do astrophotography, and a good variable ND filter (I'm thinking of a 77mm, or 82, and I'll just buy step up rings for my lenses..)

Yeah, I have folders of all the originals on my laptop, and then an edits folder, maybe a resize is in order now...
That's good, try and back them up onto an external hard drive if you have one to use.

I love it.

There are a few things about it that make me a bit upset about it, but for an entry level, and one of the best rated ones, it gets the job done. For instance, when you grip the camera, you're only gonna get three fingers wrapped around it, including the index finger, unless you act like you are filing your nails. The buttons seemed a but odd placed, even though it's the third gen of the 3000 line up, especially the record and aperture, but you have a function button to play with it.
Video I don't use much, because it's not a camcorder.

The first camera that got me into photography was my dad's Minolta X700. I sorta forgot about it all and then I saw a YT channel called DigitalRev. I probably watched every single video they made in the course of three days, and that's where ideas got made..

If I was a bit more wise, I'd go for the 5200, but I can't quite figure out why... Im planning on keeping this one for about 5-6 years, or whenever the sensor craps.. By then I'll be out of college and have some change. I'd like a D810 right now, but I don't have that much laying around..

I've seen some good images with nice glass with the D3200 so we will see where that goes. What I really want now is an intravolometer to do astrophotography, and a good variable ND filter (I'm thinking of a 77mm, or 82, and I'll just buy step up rings for my lenses..)
I've not had the opportunity to use one yet. I'll probably try handling one in a camera store when I finally have the cash to see if it's comfortable. I hold cameras a bit weird anyway (Since I'm right-handed and my vision in my left eye is good but not in my right). On one of my last days of summer vacation I spent my whole day watching that YouTube channel; totally worth it.

How is the noise performance on it? That's one of the biggest problems I have with my current camera; It only goes to to ISO 1600 and noise isn't too hard to spot in some photos even at ISO 800.

That's good, try and back them up onto an external hard drive if you have one to use.

I've not had the opportunity to use one yet. I'll probably try handling one in a camera store when I finally have the cash to see if it's comfortable. I hold cameras a bit weird anyway (Since I'm right-handed and my vision in my left eye is good but not in my right). On one of my last days of summer vacation I spent my whole day watching that YouTube channel; totally worth it.

How is the noise performance on it? That's one of the biggest problems I have with my current camera; It only goes to to ISO 1600 and noise isn't too hard to spot in some photos even at ISO 800.
Well I'm left eye dminant and right handed, and it works quite well.

I'll put up on my flickr some shots from 100-12800 (or Hi1) and post a link tomorrow. Kai is quite the character too on Twitter, absolutley hilarious to all my replies..

All you guys have really nice photos. Some of them the subject looks weird as hell and they still look awesome lol

Back