amateur photo thread.

• Thread starter Conbon14
  • 1,831 comments
I'll throw my 2 cents in for some points, while others are pretty much self-explanatory.

the camera must have an actual lock for attaching it to a tripod, instead of just a simple screw-and-hole (like on the E-M5, because the screw gets loose quickly after frequent usage)
Sounds like this is an error with the tripod that you're using or methodology and not the camera. If you're just tightening the screw with your fingers and not an actual screwdriver to torque it down tightly, it will obviously come off over time. I've left my tripod base on my camera for the last three years and it hasn't budged at all. No locktite or any other bonding agent used other than a flathead to tighten it in (coins can often do the same job).

the colours on the photos produced must be as accurate as possible, even better if identical to reality. So the wider range of colours detected and represented, the better
If you're referring to how some companies seem to have slight saturation differences between each other, that is just natural. This can be all changed in post if you haven't already used a program like Adobe Lightroom. If you don't want to buy a subscription for Adobe CC however (the student discount is a good deal if you're in school), you could easily just buy (or make) a grey card to calibrate the white balance in your scene before taking any shots. I've only ever used it twice however (I made it myself out of paint swatches) and just threw it away the other day simply because I never use it and rely on Lightroom and my editing.

the anti-shake function (or image stabilisation, I don’t really know what the difference is between them :lol:) must be at least on par with the E-M5
Chances are you'll be looking at lenses eventually with optical stabilization later on, so if the body is not exactly what you want there is always the chance that you can add on with different lenses. Not a fan of it personally due to how easy it is for these systems to disrupt a perfectly still shot with artificial vibration.

the camera controls and user interface must be intuitive, and the user should be able to place the focus anywhere on the screen (a grid where users can place the focus on any of the composing squares, just like the one on my E-M5 is good enough though)
Most Nikons currently have quite the array of AF points to chose from that is within your budget and if they are unable to be selected from the screen, they are visible within the viewfinder.

the shutter speed should be able to be extended to around 30 minutes or even an hour, because I want to try shooting starry skies, although that’s not a necessary requirement
I'd suggest rather than having something hold it's shutter within the camera's equipment to times above 30", that you look into buying a cheap intervalometer. You can have it set delay before the shot, interval between, and duration of the shutter being opened. This is an example of an hour long, single frame shot. While it is quite smooth, there is plenty of noise easily visible within the star trails.

Results from one of the cheapest kit lenses out there that came with my D3200:

And my favorite night time shot consisting of over 12 frames stitched together for a panorama (Rokinon 24mm 1.4):

Anything from 8-30 seconds is all you need when in a dark area to get shots of the stars. Once you go above 30 seconds the stars move fast enough to give them tails or the beginning of star trails.

the camera must not deform after prolonged periods of attaching it to a large and heavy lens and holding only the camera body (I heard that some Nikon cameras are susceptible to this issue, hence this particular requirement stated)
Never heard of this happening. I use my Rokinon lense for the majority of my photography and it weighs even more than the body does. The F-mount is an absolutely solid unit and I've never read anything bad about them.

I think your budget for a good APSC sized DSLR is good, but you'll have to look around for some lenses (Good luck finding FX lenses) to squeeze in.

This is a small post to introduce myself. I am an amateur photographer when I'm not racing on the console :)

I mostly shoot landscapes and abandoned stuff.
This was taken this morning at my backdoor,

And then I would like to suggest to @AerodyManiac to try using extension rings on an ordinary lens to shoot stuff upp close. The bumblebee in my other photo was shot using a Nikon D5200 with an old M42 50/1.8 and a extension ring.
Mist-in-the-valley_WS.png

Or I may simply be a single drop of rain.png

Sounds like this is an error with the tripod that you're using or methodology and not the camera. If you're just tightening the screw with your fingers and not an actual screwdriver to torque it down tightly, it will obviously come off over time. I've left my tripod base on my camera for the last three years and it hasn't budged at all. No locktite or any other bonding agent used other than a flathead to tighten it in (coins can often do the same job).
Yeah, I always just use my nails to tighten the screws to the camera base because there’s no screwdriver large enough to fit snugly into the drive. Now that you’ve talked about it though I’ll try using a coin the next time and see how it does.

—-

Thanks for the advice guys. I eventually decided not to buy a brand new camera after realizing that the situation doesn’t necessitate it (my Olympus is still functioning very well and the additional gains doesn’t outweigh the costs), and bought a macro lens instead. I did learn more about cameras (including my own - I have always thought that it’s a DSLR until now!), so that will probably help when I’m really on a hunt for a new one the next time. 👍

Yeah, I always just use my nails to tighten the screws to the camera base because there’s no screwdriver large enough to fit snugly into the drive. Now that you’ve talked about it though I’ll try using a coin the next time and see how it does.

—-

Thanks for the advice guys. I eventually decided not to buy a brand new camera after realizing that the situation doesn’t necessitate it (my Olympus is still functioning very well and the additional gains doesn’t outweigh the costs), and bought a macro lens instead. I did learn more about cameras (including my own - I have always thought that it’s a DSLR until now!), so that will probably help when I’m really on a hunt for a new one the next time. 👍

I screwed up one thing. You can actually use lenses for other cameras on the M43 cameras with the right adapter.

I'm also holding still with any upgrades. I still have a lot to learn before I drop major coin on a new telephoto lens.

Lewis Hamilton at Spa 2019 using 35mm film.

It's a difficult task taking photos of cars that are going 290 kph around a corner, especially with a manual camera and prime lens. It's an out of focus photo, but I don't mind, The fact that it's out of focus is a testament to how hard it is to capture these cars and how digital cameras are the most optimized. I might get this printed out and framed.

If I could, one day, meet Lewis, I will bring a wallpaper-sized silver-print for him to sign.

79520022.jpg

This image was difficult to expose properly, but I think it shows the amount of work that goes on behind the scenes at these races. This is also at Belgium.

79520020.jpg

And the last one I will share on here. I took this photo at BMW's museum in Munich. It was also difficult to expose, but I made it work, so well to the point that it's one of my favorite photos I've taken of a car. It's like it's a dormant legend. My wallpaper and avatar :)

79520027.jpg

Bunch of photos I've taken this week

db004c88851009.5de32d68af033.jpg

fbf06188851009.5de32d68b09db.jpg

These were taken in upstate New York. Some of the most amount of star's I've ever seen! The first one looks a lot better smaller. I think there's too many stars in it. It was taken with a 50mm, I wish I had bought a new wide angle lens before I went.

d8ffaa89089915.5de9d518b2d4e.jpg

I'm really proud of that one. It looks amazing. The symmetry, the lighting, the framing, etc. Everything's just perfect in my eyes.

879eed89089915.5de9d518b3c4a.jpg

bce1b989089915.5de9d518b6968.jpg

7eea5f89089915.5de9d518b4294.jpg

fb191189089915.5de9d518b3410.jpg

a63cd489089915.5de9d518b7163.jpg

Bunch of photos I've taken this week

db004c88851009.5de32d68af033.jpg

fbf06188851009.5de32d68b09db.jpg

These were taken in upstate New York. Some of the most amount of star's I've ever seen! The first one looks a lot better smaller. I think there's too many stars in it. It was taken with a 50mm, I wish I had bought a new wide angle lens before I went.

d8ffaa89089915.5de9d518b2d4e.jpg

I'm really proud of that one. It looks amazing. The symmetry, the lighting, the framing, etc. Everything's just perfect in my eyes.

879eed89089915.5de9d518b3c4a.jpg

bce1b989089915.5de9d518b6968.jpg

7eea5f89089915.5de9d518b4294.jpg

fb191189089915.5de9d518b3410.jpg

a63cd489089915.5de9d518b7163.jpg
Those are very nice. If star scapes are something you want to do more of a wide angle is good. You should check out a free program called Sequator, it helps you stack multiple exposures to get noise free star scapes.

Among the others the one with the old-fashioned street lamp among the trees are my favourite. It looks like Narnia.

Those are very nice. If star scapes are something you want to do more of a wide angle is good. You should check out a free program called Sequator, it helps you stack multiple exposures to get noise free star scapes.

Among the others the one with the old-fashioned street lamp among the trees are my favourite. It looks like Narnia.
Thanks!
I have a 19mm 2.8 but it's for my old APS-C camera so I didn't use it. I'm gonna get a wide angle probably this Christmas anyways, I just haven't had the chance to get one since upgrading my camera. I probably won't have any more opportunities to get star scapes in the neat foreseeable future though.

I find shooting at night one of my favourite things. It's slower, more deliberately photography almost zen :)
The milky way looks great where you are.

Those were in upstate NY which is like 3 hours away from where I'm studying. Where I'm studying is like a 2 day drive away from where I live. :lol:
I probably won't get the chance to see the milky way again for a while

Thanks!
I have a 19mm 2.8 but it's for my old APS-C camera so I didn't use it. I'm gonna get a wide angle probably this Christmas anyways, I just haven't had the chance to get one since upgrading my camera. I probably won't have any more opportunities to get star scapes in the neat foreseeable future though.
If you do get another chance to do some astrophotography, something i like to do is panorama shots. 4x3 looks good and is only 12 frames, but your down time has to be minimal between the shots. I use Microsoft image composite editor (ICE) to stitch them together. It’s free and one of the best programs I’ve found to put the photos together before importing to Lightroom.

It’ll make the Sky not seem so overwhelming and you can include more on the bottom third.

Back