amateur photo thread.

• Thread starter Conbon14
  • 1,831 comments
only just discovered this thread... some great pics on here. I'm mainly a landscape kinda guy but throw in some architecture / symmetry and some motorsport and i'm all over it.
Here's a few start from Le Mans 24hr in 2018..
IMG_4328.JPG
IMG_4338.JPG
IMG_4349.JPG
IMG_4554.JPG
IMG_4384.JPG
IMG_4604.JPG

That is amazing! Well done!
@WrxScooby those are beautifully made and photographed! I love the variety

Thanks! I really enjoy both, and it's been fun bringing them together.

Heres a shot I snapped yesterday morning on my search for wild brown trout, very thin and technical water which I have fallen in love with.

and one of my beautiful rewards.

Getting out to wild places is so important psychologically while this covid stuff is going on, nice "capture" the water looks crystal clear.

These pictures dont do it justice, its crystal clear and the fish seeing you is a real challenge. (What I love)
This pool is roughly 5ft deep or so.
nW8Dg4X.jpg

The boulder furthest away is roughly 25ft away from me and the fishy.
RxGiaOo.jpg

Really like these in particular they're nicely framed, I find it hard to frame up moving targets myself. Do you take several shots in succession to get these?

For panning shots without a mono pod, tuck your elbows in, and rotate with your hips. This would ensure that you have no horizontal sway and only have to account for the vertical sway of the camera.

You would track a subject and fire off shots in succession and pick the right one in editing.

If it's a circuit, you'll have another chance the next lap.

Conversely, you can do what's called zone focusing. As the name states, you would focus a particular zone with your camera by adjusting your aperture (which is your depth of field), your shutter speed depending on the speed of the subject, and lastly your focusing distance.

Once you have zone focusing setup you can then set your composition accordingly and wait for the subject to enter that zone.This is more difficult and not really meant for panning shots.

A lot of street photography users do this to get the shot without fumbling about with their settings. Although that's entering the world of Aperature Priority mode combined with zone focusing which is another subtopic.

@TonyBarracuda that shot of the A3/S3 and the ND Miata are really good. 👍

Last edited:
Really like these in particular they're nicely framed, I find it hard to frame up moving targets myself. Do you take several shots in succession to get these?
Yes, you take like upwards of 10 photos per pan. It fills up your SD card incredibly quickly. The few times where I got to shoot at a race track, I'd have over 5,000 photos to go through and only end up keeping like 200 of them. It's all a game of numbers and chance. The more shots you take, the more chance of a good photo.

As seen here:

Yes, you take like upwards of 10 photos per pan. It fills up your SD card incredibly quickly. The few times where I got to shoot at a race track, I'd have over 5,000 photos to go through and only end up keeping like 200 of them. It's all a game of numbers and chance. The more shots you take, the more chance of a good photo.

As seen here:

That is heavily relying on your camera's autofocus to keep track, as well as having a large enough buffer size.

I just wish these camera bodies and lenses weren't so damn expensive :/

That is heavily relying on your camera's autofocus to keep track, as well as having a large enough buffer size.

I just wish these camera bodies and lenses weren't so damn expensive :/
Yeah definitely. My old A6000 and my new A7ii that replaced it have been good enough for my recreational use, even with the crappy telephoto kit lens.

_DSC7651-99 by Harry Dang, on Flickr

This was from 2 years ago.

757bac82013689.5d11097b99655.jpg

And this was last year

Hi, mate.

Thank you. Yes, making series of pictures, then pick one. Also some times it's better not to zoom to the edge, to you have space to cut as you wish.
Picturing from hands, without monopod. It allowes you to choose angle and change position quickly.

Here's a short video ive made of this years photo's that all taken locally in the north west of england. I revisited the same areas regularly throughout the year and you can see them transition from one season to the next.

Last edited:
Back