amateur photo thread.

• Thread starter Conbon14
  • 1,844 comments
@ProjectWHaT What part of New England are you from? Recognize the dealership, been there several times. Ferrari/Maserati of New England! :D Last time I was there, there was a yellow Enzo. Need to see the MC12 and 8C... :( Did you get to see the Carrera GT at the Porsche dealer?

Really don't check this side of the forum that often. So...this is my first time posting here. :nervous: Taken off my Facebook page to reduce computer explosions.
463358_10204991801614126_5440695066401214005_o.jpg

10633900_10204771638830194_1926945700066534798_o.jpg

10371400_10205230842670003_6722099779626590897_n.jpg

10374531_10205230920831957_7720479670853553271_n.jpg

1002135_10201729395296007_620885614_n.jpg

242928_10201682253157483_754530995_o.jpg

10731019_10205231154397796_8111064328238625806_n.jpg

And some other ones that would be a lot better if I got the shots a little more in focus.
10623599_10205230457020362_3304855075866084351_o.jpg

148707_10204763337902676_5116070428757292842_n.jpg

Got a bunch more, but didn't want to post too much. :scared:

@ProjectWHaT What part of New England are you from? Recognize the dealership, been there several times. Ferrari/Maserati of New England! :D Last time I was there, there was a yellow Enzo. Need to see the MC12 and 8C... :( Did you get to see the Carrera GT at the Porsche dealer?
Massachusetts. Around a 10 minute drive away from the dealership. The 8C's a customer's and I always see it at the cars 'n coffees. No I didn't see the Carrera GT. I saw a new Targa drive away though. It sounded really nice.

Massachusetts. Around a 10 minute drive away from the dealership. The 8C's a customer's and I always see it at the cars 'n coffees. No I didn't see the Carrera GT. I saw a new Targa drive away though. It sounded really nice.

Lucky you! :P It's a 2 hour drive for me to check out the dealerships. I have a friend who goes to BU and often checks in on the dealerships.

Some of my photos from the 2014 Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta. I'm still trying to get used to taking action shots with this camera... moving targets are a major PITA.

BMW Z4 GTE vs. Chevrolet Corvette C7.R by gregthestig, on Flickr

Dodge Viper SRT GTS-R - 2014 Petit Le Mans by gregthestig, on Flickr

RLL BMW Z4 GTE - 2014 Petit Le Mans by gregthestig, on Flickr

So... two things my camera hates: motion and challenging lighting. Mix them both together and it wants to die. This was one of a few dusk shots that resembled a photo of a race car.

RLL BMW Z4 GTE - 2014 Petit Le Mans by gregthestig, on Flickr

TRG Aston Martin V12 Vantage by gregthestig, on Flickr

Hahaha I know the feeling. My dog will sleep all day, then the second I get a camera out he's up and racing.

Some really cool photos in here! I had planned to try wrap my head around my girlfriends cannon 500d before I went on my Japan holiday but with only 20 days left I think I may have left it too late.

As much as I hate to admit it, that particular dog is just very dopey, so he doesn't really obey basic commands like "stay", which makes grabbing photos really hard. My other two would be much easier to take photos of, I think.

@Andrew R You could learn how to use a camera within that time easily. Even if you only have a small amount of free time due to work or something there's only a few controls you'd have to familiarize yourself with; it isn't as if you need to know every bit of information on your camera to take good photos. Just knowing some basic things about composition and framing will result in something you can be proud of.

If you decide you want to learn how to use a camera but have questions, this area of the forums is a great place to ask, there are a lot of people eager to help. I know - I once asked something about lenses and got four or five people answering my questions in great detail with explanations many paragraphs long.

tl;dr It's not too late to learn to use a camera for your trip, it isn't as intimidating as it may first seem.

As much as I hate to admit it, that particular dog is just very dopey, so he doesn't really obey basic commands like "stay", which makes grabbing photos really hard. My other two would be much easier to take photos of, I think.

@Andrew R You could learn how to use a camera within that time easily. Even if you only have a small amount of free time due to work or something there's only a few controls you'd have to familiarize yourself with; it isn't as if you need to know every bit of information on your camera to take good photos. Just knowing some basic things about composition and framing will result in something you can be proud of.

If you decide you want to learn how to use a camera but have questions, this area of the forums is a great place to ask, there are a lot of people eager to help. I know - I once asked something about lenses and got four or five people answering my questions in great detail with explanations many paragraphs long.

tl;dr It's not too late to learn to use a camera for your trip, it isn't as intimidating as it may first seem.

You've inspired me @Turtle! I'll have a search for a bit of a beginner run down and see what I come up with and try post my results and any questions I have.

I do warn you though, I do enjoy taking pictures of my dog. You may get bored of the subject matter.

He's just so damn photogenic;

These were all shot about an hour ago using a macro lens off of my great-grandmother's camera. I've never seen ice form on things like this before, it's amazing to look at!

Update: These may be the last photos I upload for a while, as my computer has decided that being functional just isn't it's style. The fan has stopped working, so I can only do the most basic of tasks on it before it overheats. This means I likely won't be able to edit or upload any photos until I get a new one. I can't even open the thing to see try and fix it because the case can't be opened with a normal screwdriver.

The English language (and most other languages, I imagine) lacks words strong enough to describe how angry I am right now, because what little money I have right now as well as anything from the upcoming holidays has to go towards buying a replacement as opposed to replacing my tired gear.
[/Rant]

Last edited:
Update: These may be the last photos I upload for a while, as my computer has decided that being functional just isn't it's style. The fan has stopped working, so I can only do the most basic of tasks on it before it overheats. This means I likely won't be able to edit or upload any photos until I get a new one. I can't even open the thing to see try and fix it because the case can't be opened with a normal screwdriver.

The English language (and most other languages, I imagine) lacks words strong enough to describe how angry I am right now, because what little money I have right now as well as anything from the upcoming holidays has to go towards buying a replacement as opposed to replacing my tired gear.
[/Rant]

Your local hardware store should have a little kit with all the different shaped screw attachments in it for a couple of dollars. I have one that goes into the end of an impact drill but there will be some that will work with a ratchet, or worst case hold it with plyers and turn. They shouldn't be too tight

Your local hardware store should have a little kit with all the different shaped screw attachments in it for a couple of dollars. I have one that goes into the end of an impact drill but there will be some that will work with a ratchet, or worst case hold it with plyers and turn. They shouldn't be too tight
I found a screwdriver in the house that worked, but I found out through watching videos on how to disassemble my laptop that the fan is literally the hardest component to access. I can have it on but it's running hot even when it's just sitting there. I think I might be able to get away with running Photoshop and Lightroom if I'm quick about it.

In the meantime, I just put a new roll of film into my other camera so I can mess around with that for a bit.

This has probably been covered numerous times but I'm trying to find a bit of a beginners guide to photography that starts from the very beginning, has anyone got any good websites or resources that would be a good place to start? I've been looking around a bit but most of it just goes over my head, a little more advanced than what I'm after. I'm starting from the very start with an 1100D if this helps at all? Thanks guys.

I'd like to add that just going out and shooting is important, too, it will really show you how the different settings affect your photos.

Thanks guys. Haha, it's 40 degrees here at the moment so I'm hiding in the aircon but I'll go out for a play this afternoon when it cools down a bit. Figured I'd do the theory bit now.

Taken a few quick ones while playing around, I'll just upload one to see if I can do it without ruining the page for everyone. Hopefully the size/filesize is friendly.

Last edited:
Had plenty of fun over the weekend playing around, none that I'm super happy with but I'm learning at least. Hopefully we'll have some more interesting weather than just sunny and horribly hot so I can try it out on some different subjects

Any glaringly obvious mistakes or techniques I'm using? I also just upload them to photobucket, is this an issue for viewing or make it a pain to view this page?

Try not to shoot with a lightsource right behind the subject (or in fact, in your frame); it's probably going to create flares on your lens image and it also makes for high contrast situations, which will probably result in blown highlights.

Back