amateur photo thread.

• Thread starter Conbon14
  • 1,831 comments
P1010647.JPG

In these pictures I just had a tripod to steady (that first shot though my tripod was being borrowed so I improvised with my car's spoiler and a wallet to prop it up ;) ) and a very slow shutter speed. Though with a couple of those I used manual focus as the autofocus was disagreeing with me a bit.

Stock Nikon D3100 with standard 55-200mm VR lens.

@Mike Rotch I really like the second one, it's got an interesting look to it. It could be my eyes playing tricks on me, but doesn't look completely level. I used PS's ruler and it looks like it agrees with me, but the problem with straightening it is that it would probably cut off part of the closest streetlamp after cropping.

Anyway, took this photo wandering around my apartment complex.

@Mike Rotch I really like the second one, it's got an interesting look to it. It could be my eyes playing tricks on me, but doesn't look completely level.
Thanks - I think you are right. That's cool though, the original is bigger so I can re-level and re-crop and apply the effects over again 👍

@Swagger897 I like the photo itself, but I can't stand selective color. I'd also try and remove the reflection on the left side.
Got the reflections out...
DSC_2637_edited.jpg

Took me a while as I had to individually apply motion blur to every one of them..

But I've finally figured out how to scale some of the shots down too..
DSC_2745_edited.jpg

I also tried some night photography again last weekend, as it was the clearest it has been since the end of July. However, I wanted to do some star trails but the 30" timer is just too short, so I'll be getting an intervalometer soon. I think I'm going with the Aputure model, as it has more features than the standard MC DC2. I know there are cheaper ones but I'm not a big one on international purchases.

I also tried some night photography again last weekend, as it was the clearest it has been since the end of July. However, I wanted to do some star trails but the 30" timer is just too short, so I'll be getting an intervalometer soon. I think I'm going with the Aputure model, as it has more features than the standard MC DC2. I know there are cheaper ones but I'm not a big one on international purchases.
Looks good. 👍

I know that my camera has a setting that keeps the shutter open for as long as you press the button, which I used - in combination with a shutter release cable-thing, of course - when I tried to capture stars, and if my camera has it, I'd be amazed if yours didn't.

I left it open for fifteen minutes, but it didn't work, because of nearby lights that I couldn't get away from.

Looks good. 👍

I know that my camera has a setting that keeps the shutter open for as long as you press the button, which I used - in combination with a shutter release cable-thing, of course - when I tried to capture stars, and if my camera has it, I'd be amazed if yours didn't.

I left it open for fifteen minutes, but it didn't work, because of nearby lights that I couldn't get away from.
Mine has bulb mode to (I think that's what you meant) but I can't hold my finger down for that long.... Plus, it would cause the frame to be too shaky. That's why a cable-release (same thing as an intervablabla) is much better for just about everything.

Edit:

And I'm not sure exactly as to what I want to get. I have thought for a while now I would get a Tiffen 77mm Variable ND filter, and just buy step up rings for lenses that don't fit. The VND would be great for some sun shots with the cable release, but I am also starting to cringe at the fact that I still have my kit lenses, and they aren't really that good. They are not sharp at all really (At least I think so) and they are too noisy even at the low ISO options...

So I'm in a bind really. Do I:
  • Get a nice VND filter and intervalometer for some cool shots
- or -
  • Get some better glass to have better pics?
A filter and glass will far outlive the camera body, and that is fine. I plan on getting a full frame after this. Maybe a D810E. My next fear after that is a better tripod. I don't feel like buying a carbon fiber Gitzo..

Last edited:
Mine has bulb mode to (I think that's what you meant) but I can't hold my finger down for that long.... Plus, it would cause the frame to be too shaky. That's why a cable-release (same thing as an intervablabla) is much better for just about everything.
Oh yeah, bulb mode, that's what it's called.

Oh yeah, cable release, that's what it's called.

Those are super cheap, mine was only a few bucks, but you should probably get a wireless one if it will work with your camera which it probably will.

Edit:

And I'm not sure exactly as to what I want to get. I have thought for a while now I would get a Tiffen 77mm Variable ND filter, and just buy step up rings for lenses that don't fit. The VND would be great for some sun shots with the cable release, but I am also starting to cringe at the fact that I still have my kit lenses, and they aren't really that good. They are not sharp at all really (At least I think so) and they are too noisy even at the low ISO options...

So I'm in a bind really. Do I:
  • Get a nice VND filter and intervalometer for some cool shots
- or -
  • Get some better glass to have better pics?
A filter and glass will far outlive the camera body, and that is fine. I plan on getting a full frame after this. Maybe a D810E. My next fear after that is a better tripod. I don't feel like buying a carbon fiber Gitzo..

I am sure some more knowledgeable heads will chip in but:

- A VND filter is not a panacea for poor lighting. I have a 9 stop ND and during the day without clouds at you're still only getting a few seconds at best on your lowest ISO. I'm going to experiment stacking filters as I have another 9 stop on the way but am dubious on the outcome.
- Get the largest diameter quality filter you can afford and use step down rings. I made that mistake i.e. getting ND's to fit my 55mm lenses and now when I get a wide angle, I've just worn the cost of another set of filters as wide angle diameters are in the 70s....
- That said, a quality VND filter will be useful now and once you've upgraded your kit.
- As Turtle said, you can get a cheap release to do the job, you just have to time it yourself. Plenty of apps available to do that. I got my wireless one for $5.99 off fleabay.

My suggestion would be to get your filters sorted out and learn on your kit lenses, and then you can identify what better (more expensive) glass you want to prioritise.

Not great, but I thought they were good enough to post here. The only one I'm super fond of is the last one.
Elevation hurts the first two; I think the 3rd one has the most potential if you could close the proximity and emphasis the decaying nature of the diner. Awesome location though :drool:

Elevation hurts the first two; I think the 3rd one has the most potential if you could close the proximity and emphasis the decaying nature of the diner. Awesome location though :drool:
I agree, I would have loved to find another viewpoint for those ones, but I don't know of any and it was getting late.

I am sure some more knowledgeable heads will chip in but:

- A VND filter is not a panacea for poor lighting. I have a 9 stop ND and during the day without clouds at you're still only getting a few seconds at best on your lowest ISO. I'm going to experiment stacking filters as I have another 9 stop on the way but am dubious on the outcome.
- Get the largest diameter quality filter you can afford and use step down rings. I made that mistake i.e. getting ND's to fit my 55mm lenses and now when I get a wide angle, I've just worn the cost of another set of filters as wide angle diameters are in the 70s....
- That said, a quality VND filter will be useful now and once you've upgraded your kit.
- As Turtle said, you can get a cheap release to do the job, you just have to time it yourself. Plenty of apps available to do that. I got my wireless one for $5.99 off fleabay.

My suggestion would be to get your filters sorted out and learn on your kit lenses, and then you can identify what better (more expensive) glass you want to prioritise.
That was my plan as far as for the filter to get the 77mm and the step up/down rings. That will eliminate some of the outer edge vignetting too when I use the smaller lenses.

In hindsight, I wish I had taken photos from that small grey bridge (you can it best in the second photo). It had huge sidewalks, so I could have done it without much trouble.

You should try to get inside that old factory :D
The only entrance I saw was fenced off, so that wasn't a possibility, sadly.

I'm assuming it's acceptable to double post at this point.

https://flic.kr/p/psigss
I love this one, because of that corn.

Like, someone bought some corn, saw a statue of a very serious-looking native American and said "Pretty good, but you know what would make it better? Corn." and then just kind of stuck it on his arm there.

I'd make some kind of joke about it, but I think it's be just a little too corny.

Edit: Actually, it kind of looks like the native American just needs to go the the bathroom really badly.

Last edited:
well... I guess the lens hood wasn't such a great idea to block out light..
and I'm not sure why the StarStax is leaving the dots and gap filler isn't working correctly (or if was applied at all).
StarStaX_DSC_2999_edited-DSC_3014_edited_gap_filling.jpg

Back