America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,011 comments
Remember when we had six years of Obama issuing executive orders on things because a Republican-controlled congress indiscriminately stonewalled everything he tried to do? Remember how Republicans across the country howled about how unconstitutional that was? About how worried we should all be that he was over-extending presidential power? About how he was a half-step away from becoming a tyrant?

And now you're applauding it. The hypocrisy of the modern Republican is truly something to behold.
I mean, to be fair, its not like hypocrisy isn't a political standard. Remember when democrats lost their **** about the accusations against Kavanaugh? Yet that same outrage doesn't seem to apply to their guy Biden. It's all about being a team player.

I mean, to be fair, its not like hypocrisy isn't a political standard. Remember when democrats lost their **** about the accusations against Kavanaugh? Yet that same outrage doesn't seem to apply to their guy Biden. It's all about being a team player.
I don't want to make excuses for Biden but he's only facing one allegation of alleged sexual misconduct while Kavanagh is facing three. It looks like the other women who accused Joe of inappropriate touching have all said it doesn't amount to sexual assault. Biden is a terrible candidate but unless more sexual assault allegations surface, the two cases don't sound like they're completely equivalent.

Also to be fair, I haven't seen Democrats applauding Biden for it, either. It's one thing to come down with a case of selective memory and just keep your mouth shut when your guy does the thing you used to cry about the other side doing. But to actively applaud it? That's another step.

Remember when we had six years of Obama issuing executive orders on things because a Republican-controlled congress indiscriminately stonewalled everything he tried to do? Remember how Republicans across the country howled about how unconstitutional that was? About how worried we should all be that he was over-extending presidential power? About how he was a half-step away from becoming a tyrant?

And now you're applauding it. The hypocrisy of the modern Republican is truly something to behold.

bucket

I don't want to make excuses for Biden but he's only facing one allegation of alleged sexual misconduct while Kavanagh is facing three. It looks like the other women who accused Joe of inappropriate touching have all said it doesn't amount to sexual assault. Biden is a terrible candidate but unless more sexual assault allegations surface, the two cases don't sound like they're completely equivalent.
1, 3. I personally think one is enough honestly. Doesn't vindicate Biden in any sense, and Kavanaugh having more doesn't make it better for the democrats to turn a blind eye to Biden.

Also to be fair, I haven't seen Democrats applauding Biden for it, either. It's one thing to come down with a case of selective memory and just keep your mouth shut when your guy does the thing you used to cry about the other side doing. But to actively applaud it? That's another step.
Thats a fair distinction. However, ignoring it is still hypocritical of the democratic party after all the noise they made over Kavanaugh and Trump's statements. It is still a double standard.

The aid package is something most in Washington want. The problem is the Dems filled it with their lefty wish list, like they always do, and the Senate wouldn't pass it.

Meanwhile everything passed earlier in the year was about to expire. It needed to be done.

The aid package is something most in Washington want. The problem is the Dems filled it with their lefty wish list, like they always do, and the Senate wouldn't pass it.

Meanwhile everything passed earlier in the year was about to expire. It needed to be done.
Wasn't the problem that Congress had with the first round of benefits that the Republicans had it full of the "righty" wish list? Like, honestly, their wish list looks exactly the same, they just want it to go to different donors.

1, 3. I personally think one is enough honestly. Doesn't vindicate Biden in any sense, and Kavanaugh having more doesn't make it better for the democrats to turn a blind eye to Biden.
It's easier for the Dems to pour cold water on one accuser than three. One person could be making it up, but three? Unless she submits to a polygraph test like one of the Kavanaugh ladies did.

Republicans and Democrats are arguing over the stimulus bill while I'm just sitting here wondering where the hell the money is coming from. The US is just going to keep accumulating debt and eventually it's going to come back around and bite us through an increase in taxes or major cuts to a wide array of things. And let's face it, it's the US government, no matter who's in power things that should be cut (i.e. the military) won't be.

I wish they would've gone through with the plan that was talked about months ago that allowed people to borrow up to $5,000 from their social security account. I was going to borrow that and immediately put it in my IRA, or if I couldn't do that, buy physical gold since the ROI would be way better than social security.

The problem is the Dems filled it with their lefty wish list

Yes, things like funds to vote-by-mail, and funding for the Postal Service to make sure those ballots get where they need to go. Once again, I'm left wondering why that's a "lefty" thing. Why don't conservatives care about the Constitutionally-provided right to vote?

Wasn't the problem that Congress had with the first round of benefits that the Republicans had it full of the "righty" wish list? Like, honestly, their wish list looks exactly the same, they just want it to go to different donors.
No.

Pelosi held that up because she wanted all of the companies that received funding from it, report to the government, diversity statistics. Including the gender, race and ethnic identity of each employee and what they are paid. Plus information about the vendors they use.

https://www.heritage.org/progressiv...e-it-covid-19-relief-bill-thats-relief-itself

Ah, yes, only the Dems filled it with unnecessary desires. Not the Republicans, no sir. After all, the real way to combat the coronavirus is the good ol' American war machine.

https://www.appropriations.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/TJS05MAH.PDF
A BILL Making emergency supplemental appropriations for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2020, and for other purposes. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, 2SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE. 3 This Act may be cited as the ‘‘Coronavirus Response Additional Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2020’’.
For an additional amount for ‘‘Federal Bureau of Investigation, Construction’’, $1,750,000,000, to remain available until expended, to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, domestically or internationally: Provided, That amounts made available under this heading in this Act shall be for the design and construction of a Washington, DC headquarters facility for the Federal Bureau of Investigation:
For an additional amount for ‘‘Aircraft Procurement, Army’’, $283,000,000, to remain available until September 30, 2022, to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, domestically or internationally: Provided, That the amounts made available in this section shall only be for AH–64 Apache Block IIIB New Build: Additional AH–64 Helicopters:
SEC. 310. For an additional amount for ‘‘Weapons and Tracked Combat Vehicles, Army’’, $375,000,000, to remain available until September 30, 2022, to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, domestically or internationally: Provided, That the amounts made available in this section shall only be for Stryker Upgrade: Stryker DVHA1:
SEC. 312. For an additional amount for ‘‘Aircraft Procurement, Navy’’, $1,068,000,000, to remain available until September 30, 2022, to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, domestically or internationally: Provided, That the amounts made available in this section shall only be for P–8A Poseidon: Additional aircraft:
SEC. 316. For an additional amount for ‘‘Aircraft Procurement, Air Force’’, $2,056,000,000, to remain available until September 30, 2022, to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus, domestically or internationally: Provided, That of the amounts made available in this section $686,000,000 shall be only for F–35A: Additional aircraft, $720,000,000 shall be only for C–130J: Additional aircraft and $650,000,000 shall be only for A–10: Wing replacements:

Doesn't change a thing.
Of course it does. We are talking about a time sensitive bill. It needed to get passed by the House, but Nancy refused because of diversity. Trump saw the need for it, to help the American people. So much so, that he signed EOs to get it done.

What is it with the Democrats and race? They are obsessed with it.

Of course it does. We are talking about a time sensitive bill. It needed to get passed by the House, but Nancy refused because of diversity. Trump saw the need for it, to help the American people. So much so, that he signed EOs to get it done.

What is it with the Democrats and race? They are obsessed with it.
In case the point isn't getting across because of Trumpism*, the bill I linked is the proposal the Republicans brought forth for this exact same time sensitive deadline. So while you're crying that the Dems filled their bill with a "lefty wish list", the Republicans were filling their bill with their own wish list. Thus the point being, both sides pull this stunt.

BTW, was the bill not passed b/c the Dems wanted a wish list or b/c the Dems refused it? Which is it?

* @TexRex is going to need to Trademark the word by this point.

In case the point isn't getting across because of Trumpism*, the bill I linked is the proposal the Republicans brought forth for this exact same time sensitive deadline. So while you're crying that the Dems filled their bill with a "lefty wish list", the Republicans were filling their bill with their own wish list. Thus the point being, both sides pull this stunt.
If this is from the new bill that didn't pass, the trillion dollar + bill, that is only $5.5 billion. It passed the Senate.
BTW, was the bill not passed b/c the Dems wanted a wish list or b/c the Dems refused it? Which is it?
The Democrat House passed the Pelosi bill. But their bill was about $3 trillion. It seems they want to bail out all of the poorly run Democrat run cities and states. And release illegal aliens from detention.

Here is Trump explaining some of what was wrong with the House bill.

If this is from the new bill that didn't pass, the trillion dollar + bill, that is only $5.5 billion. It passed the Senate.
Whoosh.
The Democrat House passed the Pelosi bill. But their bill was about $3 trillion. It seems they want to bail out all of the poorly run Democrat run cities and states. And release illegal aliens from detention.
Just regurgitating the BS spewed by Trump.
In the current negotiations, we have repeatedly stated our willingness to immediately sign legislation providing expanded unemployment benefits, protecting Americans from eviction, and providing additional relief payments to families. Democrats have refused these offers; they want to negotiate. What they really want is bailout money for states that are run by Democrat governors and mayors, and that have been run very badly for many, many years — and many decades, in fact. You know the states; everybody knows who we’re talking about and what we’re talking about. I don’t think we have to go over it.
This right here for example, is rubbish. It was the Democrats who wanted to do this. The Republicans are the ones who refused the offer & wanted to negotiate to severely cut the benefits. Pelosi has even said as far back as 4 weeks ago, she would delay the August recess if it meant getting a bill passed.
July 14
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she would delay or cancel her chamber’s August recess to pass a coronavirus relief bill.

In the last 48 hours, she & Schumer have called for the GOP to return & continue negotiating right away.

And, here's another good one that I believe @huskeR32 has already pointed out as false to you, but Trump keeps claiming it was his achievement.
We passed Choice, as you know — Veterans Choice — and Veterans Accountability. And they’ve been trying to get that passed for decades and decades and decades, and no President has ever been able to do it.
Oh look, he runs away when called out in person about it, too.

It could be both if reading video titles or rewinding two seconds to 38' is too hard for him to do.
Oh, it gets better.

Trump's latest is that the 'Great Pandemic' (he's attempting to refer to Spanish Flu) struck in 1917 (nope, a year later in 1918, with later waves into 1919 and 1920) and ended World War Two (not a typo on my part - his words - a direct quote), as it caused all the soldiers to be sick (nope again, while it did have an effect on the troops it was not the cause of the end of the first world war).

His people have attempted to walk it back by saying he misspoke and was, in fact, referring to World War One, in which case he's still wrong, just on one less count.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...hite-house-press-briefing-video-a9664171.html

His minions are so afraid of not finding a new job that they'll keep protecting his poop spewing.

I hope that one of them eventually has enough of it and grabs the microphone to just go bananas because of all of Trump's wisdom and jokes.

The problem you listed with the Dems is the same problem the Repubs Pubes have; trying to cram bills with "lefty/righty wish lists".
"Reps" is too easily mistaken for Representatives and "Repubs" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. "Pubes" is the logical abbreviation and so it shall henceforth be.
I briefly considered "Pubs", but it occurred to me I might catch flack from religious zealots on the right with a puritanical bent, who would prefer to not be associated with establishments in which patrons partake of alcoholic beverages...and I just don't need that kind of drama in my life.
👍

Trumpism*

* @TexRex is going to need to Trademark the word by this point.
It's not mine to claim, unfortunately.

Back