America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,011 comments
Didn't see that. Well, that would be relief then. Though I'm wondering what exactly Biden means by "amending the filibuster", as the article referenced does not go into much specifics about Biden's own ideas on changing the filibuster. All in all, I'm hoping that it is amended substantially enough to actually weaken GOP opposition and ensure that the bills mentioned in my last post have a chance at being passed.

And it still raises the question as to why Joe Biden doesn't want to just get rid of the filibuster altogether. I get the vibes that in doing so, he will be getting rid of "an American tradition", a message he would not want to send.

Didn't see that. Well, that would be relief then. Though I'm wondering what exactly Biden means by "amending the filibuster", as the article referenced does not go into much specifics about Biden's own ideas on changing the filibuster. All in all, I'm hoping that it is amended substantially enough to actually weaken GOP opposition and ensure that the bills mentioned in my last post have a chance at being passed.

And it still raises the question as to why Joe Biden doesn't want to just get rid of the filibuster altogether. I get the vibes that in doing so, he will be getting rid of "an American tradition", a message he would not want to send.

As best I can tell, and I hesitate to put it this rosy, democrats actually care about having a debate on legislation, and they want the filibuster to be there as a tool for the minority to protest legislation. Not to block legislation indefinitely, but at least get the discussion out. I think it's a pro-speech move (I think we could come up with some other mechanism for that).

Last edited:
On the back of this, I've read lots of comments about the increase in attacks and other abuse towards Asian-Americans in the past year. Many are linking it to Donald Trump's unhelpful and deliberately misleading rhetoric about the "China virus".

Not sure if it's possible to make a real correlation, never mind causation, but much like the Capitol riots I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if "Trump told me to do it" was at least a passive factor in the increase.

On the back of this, I've read lots of comments about the increase in attacks and other abuse towards Asian-Americans in the past year. Many are linking it to Donald Trump's unhelpful and deliberately misleading rhetoric about the "China virus".

Not sure if it's possible to make a real correlation, never mind causation, but much like the Capitol riots I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if "Trump told me to do it" was at least a passive factor in the increase.
There is a lot of distrust with China; but unlike how Trump handled all of January 6th, I fault this on people being extremely stupid.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/georg...baker-posted-racist-covid-shirts-on-facebook/
Yes. Racist attacks on AAPI are due to racism directed at AAPI.

The random violence against Asians, particularly here in the Bay Area (not to downplay the atrocity in Atlanta) is saddening. A lot of my friends and coworkers are of some degree of Asian descent and to think they could be targeted for no other reason than them looking Asian is pretty scary. What I don't understand is the motivation...if it were Trumpers doing these attacks, I'd sort of get it i.e. "China Virus" (obviously not condone it..)...but it appears to be something else.

A good friend and former coworker is of Korean descent but was born here to immigrant citizen parents. He's said he's been the direct target of anti-Asian sentiment at times throughout his life but that he's been verbally accosted more frequently during the last year, often by people spewing accusatory rhetoric. He's thankful he hasn't been, but he knows others who have been engaged physically and even violently in the midst of COVID.

Anyway, I thought this was an interesting read...

Ron Johnson Complains His Delusional Riot Claims Are Being ‘Silenced’

The cognitive dissonance of the January 6 Capitol riot has been gnawing away at Senator Ron Johnson for weeks. Johnson, a Wisconsin Republican whose enthusiasm for Donald Trump has blossomed to potentially self-destructive dimensions, is obviously not an intelligent man. But somewhere in his mind, he is able to vaguely discern a contradiction between two principles. On the one hand, he equates Trump and all his followers with unquestioning adherence to law and order. (This belief has inspired Johnson to vigorously dismiss years of evidence of Trump’s crimes.) On the other hand, he personally witnessed a violent mob of Trump supporters assault police officers, resulting in more than 100 injuries, many serious, and one death.

Johnson has been flailing about desperately in search of a resolution to this contradiction. At a hearing that month, he suggested to one witness, “the vast majority of Trump supporters are pro–law enforcement, and the last thing they would do is violate the law?” He used the same hearing to propose that the riot had actually been instigated by a small cadre of left-wing infiltrators posing as Trump supporters.

Then last week, Johnson returned to the subject. “I knew those were people who love this country, that truly respect law enforcement, would never do anything to break the law, so I wasn’t concerned.” he told a radio host. “Now, had the tables been turned, and Joe — this is going to get me in trouble — had the tables been turned and President Trump won the election and tens of thousands of Black Lives Matter and antifa, I might have been a little concerned.”

These comments predictably set off a firestorm, including frequent questions about the racial undertones of Johnson’s attributing violent intent to a hypothetical Black protest while dismissing the violence of a very real white one.

One point to make is that Johnson seemed not to discern any contradiction between this claim, that he was perfectly safe during the insurrection, with his previous claim that the insurrection had been instigated by left-wing infiltrators. After all, if a hardened cadre of radical leftists had penetrated the Capitol and were prowling its corridors, wouldn’t Johnson have been in some danger?

Another point to make is that we actually did experience an election where Trump won, in 2016, and there wasn’t a violent insurrection to overturn the result. Somehow, this pertinent history did not calm Johnson’s fear of BLM as an insurrectionary menace.

The best defense of Johnson’s comments would be that the contrast between the real and the imagined riots was not racial but political. Johnson would have been threatened by an anti-Trump riot, but he was safe during a pro-Trump riot, because the rioters understood he was on their side. Understandably, Johnson has refrained from making this defense.

Instead, he is presenting himself as a victim of cancel culture. Johnson has written a Wall Street Journal op-ed headlined, “I Won’t Be Silenced by the Left.” It is a clever choice to change the subject from the substance of his delusional and authoritarian claims to his right to express them. Johnson does not present any evidence that anybody is even trying to silence him. Nor is it clear how they might succeed if they wanted to. There’s no boss who can be pressured into firing him, and his every utterance continues to command wide media attention.

Instead, Johnson equates the fact that his comments drew negative coverage — a result he predicted in the interview! — with “censorship.” “An unbiased free press is essential in a democracy,” he writes, “but the censorship of conservative perspectives in today’s cancel culture is antithetical to freedom.” Censorship is when the government prevents the dissemination of speech or thought. It is not when newspapers write critical stories about politicians.

But this much can be said on Johnson’s behalf: He is not acting out of cynicism. He is not spinning or pushing a message about January 6, but following an obviously genuine obsession. He refuses to accept that his fellow Trump supporters attempted a coup. And so he summons the phantasmal threat of the left censoring him. Here are the real stormtroopers, you see — putatively objective reporters, oppressing Johnson through their coverage. It’s almost as if, by conjuring a totalitarian enemy, Johnson has created the justification for the violent uprising.

But this much can be said on Johnson’s behalf: He is not acting out of cynicism. He is not spinning or pushing a message about January 6, but following an obviously genuine obsession. He refuses to accept that his fellow Trump supporters attempted a coup. And so he summons the phantasmal threat of the left censoring him. Here are the real stormtroopers, you see — putatively objective reporters, oppressing Johnson through their coverage. It’s almost as if, by conjuring a totalitarian enemy, Johnson has created the justification for the violent uprising.
I think a good point is made that racism may not by the biggest force at play, even if it comes off as such initially.

The piece also highlights the absurdity of the "cancel culture" invocation. It's never been easy to pin a definition on what cancel culture really is because it's a concoction of conservative victimhood, but any reasonable meaning that may have been in place at one time is just...gone.

With Johnson, there is no conventional employer. There's no book in--or no longer in--the pipeline. There are no advertisers. He's a victim of cancel culture only because he purports to be one. In the event that he's ousted from the Senate via election, he's sure to blame cancel culture yet again.

With Johnson, there is no conventional employer. There's no book in--or no longer in--the pipeline. There are no advertisers. He's a victim of cancel culture only because he purports to be one. In the event that he's ousted from the Senate via election, he's sure to blame cancel culture yet again.

When you think about it, the real cancel-culture victim is Donald Trump. [/s]

I've heard more from Ron ding dong Johnson in the last month than I have any other time in life, and every week, it's because he's got something new to say.

"We're being silenced" is about as true as the "silent majority" nonsense.

A good friend and former coworker is of Korean descent but was born here to immigrant citizen parents. He's said he's been the direct target of anti-Asian sentiment at times throughout his life but that he's been verbally accosted more frequently during the last year, often by people spewing accusatory rhetoric. He's thankful he hasn't been, but he knows others who have been engaged physically and even violently in the midst of COVID.

Anyway, I thought this was an interesting read...

Ron Johnson Complains His Delusional Riot Claims Are Being ‘Silenced’

I think a good point is made that racism may not by the biggest force at play, even if it comes off as such initially.

The piece also highlights the absurdity of the "cancel culture" invocation. It's never been easy to pin a definition on what cancel culture really is because it's a concoction of conservative victimhood, but any reasonable meaning that may have been in place at one time is just...gone.

Cancel Culture is referring to the current trend of blacklisting and villainizing transgressors to the status quo, whether they are celebrities, individuals, small businesses, or corporations.

If you hurt someone's feelings, they will put a disproportionate amount of effort into letting everyone EVERYBODY know how racist, sexist, transphobic and Republican you are. They will threaten your livelyhood if you're a celebrity, because the news is their pet and it will go public with what a scumbag you are. Your show will get cancelled because you said ____ about ____, or you don't agree with ____ or you associate with ____ and they're not going along with the Leftist Agenda either, so now they hate YOU TOO.

Hence the name "Cancel Culture". If they don't like you, they don't just leave you alone - they attack you.

Last edited:
Cancel Culture is referring to the current trend of blacklisting and villainizing transgressors to the status quo, whether they are celebrities, individuals, small businesses, or corporations.

If you hurt someone's feelings, they will put a disproportionate amount of effort into letting everyone EVERYBODY know how racist, sexist, transphobic and Republican you are. They will threaten your livelyhood if you're a celebrity, because the news is their pet and it will go public with what a scumbag you are. Your show will get cancelled because you said ____ about ____, or you don't agree with ____ or you associate with ____ and they're not going along with the Leftist Agenda either, so now they hate YOU TOO.

Hence the name "Cancel Culture". If they don't like you, they don't just leave you alone - they attack you.
How do they accomplish this? How do these supposed attacks manifest?

How do they accomplish this? How do these supposed attacks manifest?
Those commie scum large corporations insist on withdrawing their advertising, for one thing. If only Trump had amended the first amendment to make this illegal if it's against conservatives but the libtards wouldn't let him. Time to march on the Capitol again. :lol:

Looky here... I'm doing cancel culture right now with my red sarcasm and all.

By the way... what do you call those Czech bun things you get in Texas with apricot or sausage inside? They're delicious.

Last edited:

How does this trend differ from the same trend last year, or the year before that? Or the year before that one, and so on back to about 3,000 years ago, so far as we know?

If you hurt someone's feelings, they will put a disproportionate amount of effort into letting everyone EVERYBODY know how racist, sexist, transphobic and Republican you are.

Although the targets of social ire might differ through the ages, how does this trend differ from the same trend last year, or the year before that? Or the year before that one, and so on back to about 3,000 years ago, so far as we know?

If they don't like you, they don't just leave you alone - they attack you.

How does this trend differ... oh, well, you get the idea.

Hence the name "Cancel Culture".

None of anything you've just said justifies that particular choice of words. Your hence just hangs.

Last edited:
“And how Republican you are”

Lmao, like Republicans/Conservatives haven’t partaken in “cancelling” others. Those die hard religious nuts were well known for it bc of “Jesus”.

“And how Republican you are”

Lmao, like Republicans/Conservatives haven’t partaken in “cancelling” others. Those die hard religious nuts were well known for it bc of “Jesus”.

What do you mean, like the NFL, Goodyear, Fox News, Harley Davidson, Oreo, Anthony Fauci, Mike Pence, or democracy?

Edit:

...Disney, Mitt Romney, Macy's, Twitter, the NBA, the constitution...

Last edited:
What do you mean, like the NFL, Goodyear, Fox News, Harley Davidson, Oreo, Anthony Fauci, Mike Pence, or democracy?

Cancelling in pursuit of honoring the abstract concept of America or its symbols is entirely justified.
Cancelling in pursuit of respecting and protecting the inhabitants of America is entirely unacceptable.

I'm getting choked up just thinking about old glory. What a ****ing beautiful flag.

Last edited:

Edit:

...Disney, Mitt Romney, Macy's, Twitter, the NBA, the constitution...
Trying to cancel Twitter with their lame-arse "alternative platforms" is the funniest as it seems to be about as effective as shooting at a tornado to make it go away.

Last edited:
the constitution...
This right here. This is the one.

Trying to cancel Twitter with their lame-arse "alternative platforms" is the funniest as it seems to be about as effective as shooting at a tornado to make it go away.
The funniest thing about these platform is the rubes flocking to them because they're baited by "free speech" don't realize the platform providers aren't protecting against outside threats like Twitter is (which is to say nothing of inside threats, mind) and so they're hit by crippling cyber attacks.

Cancelling in pursuit of honoring the abstract concept of America or its symbols is entirely justified.
Cancelling in pursuit of respecting and protecting the inhabitants of America is entirely unacceptable.

I'm getting choked up just thinking about old glory. What a ****ing beautiful flag.
For heaven's sake, won't somebody think of those poor statues? :(

Last edited:
Are you trying to tell me yellin' "Yee Yee!" whilst firing off a 12-gauge doesn't make tornadoes go elsewhere?
LjdeR.png

For heaven's sake, won't somebody think of those poor statues? :(
Satire is dead.

Tennessee lawmakers propose removing entire historical commission after it voted to remove statue of KKK leader

The Black Lives Matter civil rights protests that occurred in the U.S. over the past year prompted a national referendum on U.S. statues and iconography associated with a history of systemic racism.

Due to this mounting social pressure, the Tennessee General Assembly composed a historical commission to evaluate whether or not a bust of Nathan Bedford Forrest, a prominent Confederate general and early Ku Klux Klan leader, should be removed from state capitol grounds.

The commission came back with a verdict on March 8: Bedford Forrest’s likeness should not stand.

Now, a group of state senators are working to remove all of the members from the commission, just two weeks after their ruling.

Local outlets report that this effort is spearheaded by Senator Joey Hensley (R), who sponsored a bill that would replace the 29 members on the commission with 12 new members.

The bill has yet to be introduced before the state legislature.

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee (R) appointed 24 of the 29 commission members. Other former Confederate states, including Virginia, Louisiana and Alabama, have exhibited similar divisions when it comes to removing statues that harken to periods of legal slavery in the U.S.

Senator Janice Bowling (R) supports the bill, stating “In our culture today it seems there is a desire to cancel history, cancel culture, cancel narratives that are just based on fact. I think that that's a dangerous precedent.”

Alternatively, other state Republicans are not in favor of the bill, with Senator Mike Bell arguing the desire to replace the commission’s members stems from Hensley’s disappointment with their verdict.

"That's the process that we created for removing a monument," he said. "Every time we get a decision about a monument or a statue that we don't like, then we want to come back and change it again? If we want to put it in our hands, then let's just do a bill to do away with it completely and let the legislature vote on it."

The random violence against Asians, particularly here in the Bay Area (not to downplay the atrocity in Atlanta) is saddening. A lot of my friends and coworkers are of some degree of Asian descent and to think they could be targeted for no other reason than them looking Asian is pretty scary. What I don't understand is the motivation...if it were Trumpers doing these attacks, I'd sort of get it i.e. "China Virus" (obviously not condone it..)...but it appears to be something else.
White supremacy is a real serious problem that has never gone away. Beyond that, there are economic layers to it. There are tons of layers obviously but those seem to be the biggest ones. And white supremacy has many flavors, even down to the "they took er jerbs" types who think that because they're white and America is supposedly a white country that they're entitled to the jobs that the furriners are taking. Economically, that's related to the perception that Asians are getting all the high-paying jerbs and white Americans, the people who invented America, are getting stuck with all the crappy jobs.

You know how when the second place guy finally catches up to the leader and pressures him a bit, and the leader is getting anxious and might make a mistake and lose the race? That's what's happening to entitled white people right now. They're nervous because they know that the advantages they enjoyed through sheer oppression are coming to an end as society evolves quicker than they can comprehend. At some point during their early 20s they probably decided "the rest of my life is going to be exactly like it is today and I'll never encounter hardship" and later in life society evolves and tosses their plan out the window. Fortunately, most young people these days don't seem to have such closed minds so this breed of closed-minded white American is dying off quickly, literally. Unfortunately, they're also getting more extreme after having been forced into a closet for the past 40+ years.

White supremacy is a real serious problem that has never gone away. Beyond that, there are economic layers to it. There are tons of layers obviously but those seem to be the biggest ones. And white supremacy has many flavors, even down to the "they took er jerbs" types who think that because they're white and America is supposedly a white country that they're entitled to the jobs that the furriners are taking. Economically, that's related to the perception that Asians are getting all the high-paying jerbs and white Americans, the people who invented America, are getting stuck with all the crappy jobs.

You know how when the second place guy finally catches up to the leader and pressures him a bit, and the leader is getting anxious and might make a mistake and lose the race? That's what's happening to entitled white people right now. They're nervous because they know that the advantages they enjoyed through sheer oppression are coming to an end as society evolves quicker than they can comprehend. At some point during their early 20s they probably decided "the rest of my life is going to be exactly like it is today and I'll never encounter hardship" and later in life society evolves and tosses their plan out the window. Fortunately, most young people these days don't seem to have such closed minds so this breed of closed-minded white American is dying off quickly, literally. Unfortunately, they're also getting more extreme after having been forced into a closet for the past 40+ years.

Not saying you're wrong, but every unprovoked attack on people of Asian descent in the Bay Area in the last few months (as far as I have seen) has not been by white people. And they are happening near-daily.

Last edited:
Back