America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 37,808 comments
All he literally has to do is be a half-decent boss.
He didn't even have to do that. If he'd just done nothing and let Twitter keep running as it was that would have worked fine. But he's Elon Musk: Super Jenius and he had to jump in and show these professionals who have been working on Twitter for years how to do it better in a field that he's woefully unqualified to even have an opinion on.

He didn't even have to do that. If he'd just done nothing and let Twitter keep running as it was that would have worked fine. But he's Elon Musk: Super Jenius and he had to jump in and show these professionals who have been working on Twitter for years how to do it better in a field that he's woefully unqualified to even have an opinion on.
It doesn't help when he has an online cadre of ball-garglers validating his every move.

Last edited:
At least I can go back to the election thread and re-read all the tweets that were shared. I'll make sure to screenshot them this time.

Oh, right.
1668951428166.png

Elon doesn't know anything about steaks. Tied at 1.
Charring them or crashing the steak company? Because I bet he could give tfg a run for his money on the second one.

Elon doesn't know anything about steaks. Tied at 1.
Oh Donald Trump knows more about lots of things than anyone. This was in 2019, so I imagine the list is bigger now:

TB
There is something seriously not alright with him.
Brandon Scott Jones Reaction GIF by CBS

He also posted earlier, in response to his poll about reinstating Trump, "Vox Populi, Vox Dei" (the voice of the people is the word of god).

Unfortunately the full quote - in a letter to Charlemagne - is: "Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, Vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit." ("one should not listen to those people who say the voice of the people is the voice of God, since the riotousness of the crowd is very close to madness").

Didn't Meta just go through a massive lay-off? Are we seeing an end to corporate social media or something?

Whatever it is, it's going down in the history books i guess.
IMO the best song to listen to for all this stuff is King Nothing by Metallica. Puts a smug grin on my face to watch Twitter and Meta burn.

I mean Twitter is pretty horny.
It's one of it's best features. But it's still weird watching Musk get all Biblical.
Outside of typical Elon weirdness when it comes to "memes" for him, neither of those figures come close to representing both parties.
Not only that, I strongly suspect that Elon thinks that he's God in that situation. "I made and control all of this."

Just came across this. I haven't been in NYC for a while, due to Covid, so wasn't aware of this going up.

View attachment 1210511
NYC's skyline is slowly being ruined. There seems to be a recent trend of supertall, superthin, super-expensive penthouse apartment buildings raining on the Empire State Building's parade. Art Deco is and always will be where it's at.

NYC's skyline is slowly being ruined. There seems to be a recent trend of supertall, superthin, super-expensive penthouse apartment buildings raining on the Empire State Building's parade. Art Deco is and always will be where it's at.
I don't get that. I'm sure many people back in the 20's and 30's thought the new Deco buildings were ruining the NYC skyline. What makes NYC fascinating is the mix of architectural styles in immediate proximity. This super thin building is certainly very striking looking. However, there's definitely a price to be paid in expanding vertical coverage in terms of ever diminishing light at street level.

Last edited:
I don't get that. I'm sure many people back in the 20's and 30's thought the new Deco buildings were ruining the NYC skyline. What makes NYC fascinating is the mix of architectural styles in immediate proximity. This super thing building is certainly very striking looking. However, there's definitely a price to be paid in expanding vertical coverage in terms of ever diminishing light at street level.
Never been to NYC but I've wanted to my whole life. Walking around central London today it was quite noticeable how overbearing alot of the buildings are, despite most of them being under 100m in height. The International Style is a bit bland but has a vintage feel to it since buildings such as the Seagram Building are fairly old now, but I'm completely over the obsession in the past few decades of shining, all-glass facades.

Last edited:
I'd argue 111 W57 is actually pretty dang deco, at least as deco as you can get in contemporary construction & materials. The facade is all terracotta with some nice subtlety and the kind of glam detail you got with deco. Another thing it shares with deco - prodigiously expensive to build and made to look it.

f85adb4bf9462725856fe79ec5526d04.jpg

111-west-57th-street-skyscraper-nyc-s300320-6.jpg

With its slenderness ratio, the floor plate is pretty much dominated by the core. Luckily NYC doesn't need to deal with seismic...this would basically be a 1400' tower of solid reinforced concrete in San Francisco. :lol:

It's a pretty controversial project in architect circles, but I happen to think it's quite nice. It's hard enough to build anything this tall, let alone something with some real design in it.

Back