Americanisms

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 917 comments
  • 66,645 views

Do you like Americanisms?

  • Yes, they are better than British spelling

    Votes: 53 15.9%
  • No, proper English should be used

    Votes: 119 35.6%
  • I don't care at all

    Votes: 95 28.4%
  • I prefer a mixture

    Votes: 67 20.1%

  • Total voters
    334
Only the English would find a way to pronounce it so that it rhymes with piss.

That we do Omnis, that we do. It's a Niss - ann, right? When did 'i' take on the sound of an 'e'?
 
It's a Niss - ann, right? When did 'i' take on the sound of an 'e'?

The word Nissan was created in Japan and it is an abbreviation of the term "Nippon Sangyo". Nippon is actually pronounced Nee-pawn, so that's why the first part of the word "Nissan" is pronounced "Nees" rather than "Niss".


I still prefer to say Niss-ann rather than Nee-san though, even if it is wrong.
 
Ah, me sees now. You are wise oh Wiegert one.

I winds me up when my colleagues call it Nice - ann. Stupid people.
 
And if an Aussie says it, it's Niss-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.
 
^ Just wondering, in Aus, how would you pronounce 'we are crap at cricket and we always lose to England in the Ashes?' :sly::lol:
 
^ Just wondering, in Aus, how would you pronounce 'we are crap at cricket and we always lose to England in the Ashes?' :sly::lol:

We aa crap at criiiiiicket mate and we always lose to Eengland in the AAAAAAshes, mate.



Mate. :p
 
Some say........ He doesn't need sleep, and that he spends his spare hours reading writing encyclopaedias.

Sorted! :D
 
^ Just wondering, in Aus, how would you pronounce 'we are crap at cricket and we always lose to England in the Ashes?' :sly::lol:

I would say.

Bloody hell mate we really do suck are cricket since we lose to the xxxxx all the time.


xxx= Insultive word for the UK people.
 
Wymondham....pronounced wind-um.

Stupid Norfolk!

Also, Burpham.....pronounced Birth-um

Stupid Surrey!
 
You live in Norwich and missed out Costessey?
 
Ha! Good point!

Costessey.....pronounced Cossy

Edit: Stupid Norwich! :sly:
 
Having a great time reading all your comments... :lol:

England vs. USA ROUND 1!!! :lol:
 
^Actually, it'd be round 3 :sly:
 
Quick question on the spelling bit, eg colour v's color. What are the official dictionaries of both countries?
England I'd guess the Oxford.
Us I've no idea.

Cheers Shaun.
 
England has two official dictionaries; The Oxford English Dictionary, and the Collins English Dictionary.

I don't know about the US.
 
I rather like that one.
You what? :p

I heard that Hyundai is pronounced oddly in the US. Here it's 'Hi-un-dy', but I was reading a car article that said Americans said it differently.
You guys pronounce it wrong. Even the American commercials state specifically, "Hun-day, like Sunday."

Also, aluminium is right.
Not according to any periodic table I've ever seen.
 
Aluminum lacks a the i required for aluminium. Also, all the car dealers here pronounce Hyundai Hun-day, and it annoys me that tgose selling the car don't know the proper way to pronounce it.
 
Toyota Proy-yus
 
I'm going to start saying Aluminium because I learned it's the refined version of Aluminum :dopey:
 
the_stig_1
In NZ it's Nessssssssssss'n

Ever heard of the letter A?

How do they pronounce New ZealAnd then? (Emphasis on 2nd A intended) :lol:
 
Can someone explain America's problem with the word 'Moist'? It's some kind of taboo word over there.
 
RTSolvalou
Can someone explain America's problem with the word 'Moist'? It's some kind of taboo word over there.

Mind if I ask what's wrong with it? It just means damp, I don't see anything wrong
 
Could it mean that a lady is ready for bedroom Olympics?

If one was to use the term "She's moist for me" I suppose it could be a bit taboo in certain circles.

Is that a bit crude?
 
Back