Americanisms

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 917 comments
  • 66,645 views

Do you like Americanisms?

  • Yes, they are better than British spelling

    Votes: 53 15.9%
  • No, proper English should be used

    Votes: 119 35.6%
  • I don't care at all

    Votes: 95 28.4%
  • I prefer a mixture

    Votes: 67 20.1%

  • Total voters
    334
Aluminum lacks a the i required for aluminium. Also, all the car dealers here pronounce Hyundai Hun-day, and it annoys me that tgose selling the car don't know the proper way to pronounce it.

When in doubt, say it like the Koreans do.


Hun-dai. Not too far from Hun-day.

How did you think it was pronounced?
 
niky
When in doubt, say it like the Koreans do.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=212Fdc5Mi-k">YouTube Link</a>
Hun-dai. Not too far from Hun-day.

How did you think it was pronounced?

Hay-un-dai

And shem, saying someone is moist for you is pretty much something a teen would say, being careless for manners like teens, most would simply use the term "wet", but even more refined (if it can be called that) is just wants.
 
^ I prefer 'gagging for it'. ;)
 
^ Oh the irony. That's a pretty tame and tough-in-cheek expression in the UK. :)
 
Peugeot or Perrgeot

Whenever I'm following Radio Le Mans and they have American guests, I get incredibly annoyed when they say "Poo-jo" instead of Peugeot. :ouch:
 
Like the french. Certainly not something involving the word "poo".
 
On a theme, has anyone mentioned that it's Jag-u-ar not Jag-wah! Jaaaaaag is just about acceptable. :D
 
On a theme, has anyone mentioned that it's Jag-u-ar not Jag-wah! Jaaaaaag is just about acceptable. :D

Or even Jag-you-er.
 
Or Boogatti? I think you'll find a 'u' in there somewhere.
 
"u" and the elongated "o" can sound pretty similar in a word.
 
But B'you'gatti by any reckoning should be the right pronunciation, right?
 
I think B'yew-gatti would be closer to it.
 
^ Seriously? That's exactly what I'm saying!
 
...Now you have got me wondering about the correct pronunciation.

I basically would have thought it would have been something like "B-youu-gattee" or something similar to that (its an exaggerated word for me to get a vague idea how I suspect it would be pronounced).

"i"'s are more commonly pronounced with an "e" sound rather than an "i", when it is at the end of the word, I have noticed.
 
But being a non English word surely everyone knows that Bugatti ends with a 'e' (long sound).

What's really going to make you laugh is that it's illegal, in the state, to mispronounce Arkansas!
 
shem
But being a non English word surely everyone knows that Bugatti ends with a 'e' (long sound).

What's really going to make you laugh is that it's illegal, in the state, to mispronounce Arkansas!

I thought it was misspell, I could be wrong

Did I misspell misspell?
 
On a theme, has anyone mentioned that it's Jag-u-ar not Jag-wah! Jaaaaaag is just about acceptable. :D

I know. I always pronounce it correctly, then get ridiculed for it by my American friends.
 
beeblebrox237
I know. I always pronounce it correctly, then get ridiculed for it by my American friends.

So it's jag-u-ar not jag-wire right?
 
Just watch an episode of Top Gear
 
Can't believe this thread has got this far without anyone mentioning the Cheshire village of Cholmondley.
(Yeah, that's pronounced chum-lee ;))
 
The only place name I can remember off the top of my head that's pronounced differently to how it's spelt is Alnwick (Ann-ick), which is in Northumberland.
 
Apples and pears.



Explain.
 
Wiegert
The only place name I can remember off the top of my head that's pronounced differently to how it's spelt is Alnwick (Ann-ick), which is in Northumberland.

Greenwich (Gren-ich), correct me if I'm wrong
 
Roush_fan_99
Greenwich (Gren-ich), correct me if I'm wrong

Correct. And Flitwick (flit-ick) in Bedfordshire.
 
Back