And I considered myself an "Xbox-fanboy"!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lofberg
  • 132 comments
  • 4,852 views
Xbox vs PS2 threads are so tired...

They are machines like my microwave oven, should be judged for their purpose rather than by preferences..

I actually think the PS2's EE 128bit CPU/GPU to be one of the best technology in consoles today compared to the Xbox's Pentium Celery :)

But when you factor in the sum of the parts and how well the parts talk to each other the Xbox is a "better" game toaster..

Once you mod it you unlocked even more potential..

As for comparing XBox vs PS2 in terms of games and software.. not because one system is better... it's a matter of politics and marketing.

Sony has signed exclusive deals to "force" some games to be on their system, is that fair?? Well Microsoft owns about 90% of Desktop OS, is that fair??

I think both Sony & Microsoft are guilty one way or another of using their dominance in their industry to force the little guys (game developers) to make games for their system, whether they like it or not...

If GT4 was available for GC, Xbox, PC, PS2, would would anyone want to play the PS2 version??

So let's not get into some PS2 or Xbox is better debates, you want certain games, you buy the console that plays it...
 
LegacySTI
Xbox vs PS2 threads are so tired...

They are machines like my microwave oven, should be judged for their purpose rather than by preferences..

I actually think the PS2's EE 128bit CPU/GPU to be one of the best technology in consoles today compared to the Xbox's Pentium Celery :)

But when you factor in the sum of the parts and how well the parts talk to each other the Xbox is a "better" game toaster..

Once you mod it you unlocked even more potential..

As for comparing XBox vs PS2 in terms of games and software.. not because one system is better... it's a matter of politics and marketing.

Sony has signed exclusive deals to "force" some games to be on their system, is that fair?? Well Microsoft owns about 90% of Desktop OS, is that fair??

I think both Sony & Microsoft are guilty one way or another of using their dominance in their industry to force the little guys (game developers) to make games for their system, whether they like it or not...

If GT4 was available for GC, Xbox, PC, PS2, would would anyone want to play the PS2 version??

So let's not get into some PS2 or Xbox is better debates, you want certain games, you buy the console that plays it...

eeeeeeexactly!
 
I think they're both great systems, but I'd rather own a PS2 IMO because of the games, but if I could own both, I would.
 
I own a PS2 because my fav games are exclusive on it.
Gran turismo, Final Fantasy and Tekken
Sure xbox is more powerfu, but it hasnt got any major exclusive titles except Halo. Which I didnt like anyway.
 
When I bought my PS2 two years ago, the main reason to purchase it instead of the Xbox was the exclusive games like GT3, GTA:VC, Winning Eleven, MGS2, etc. But now, the only game among those that is still exclusive to the PS2 is GT3. I would like to have an XBox cause now it has great games too, but I wouldn´t exchange it with my PS2.
 
but it hasnt got any major exclusive titles except Halo.

Ninja Gaiden. Fable. Jade Empire. Rallisport 2. Forza. Panzer orta.

hmm. I see a flaw in your argument.

If for some strange reason I had to choose between my machines, I'd keep ma xbox as 90% of multiformat games are better on it, most of the ps2s best titles come to it in enhanced forms, it has a HDD and faster hardware (games tend to run smooth, look and sound nicer), the dvd play back is a hell of alot better (can use my RGB outout), the exclusive games are damn nice, and well, it's modded, thus worth more lol. That's my opinion anyway, I'm not saying the ps2 is crap, I certainly wouldn't have bought one if I thought that!
 
Code,
I havent got an Xbox and havent really even looked at it up till now, but the intrest in Forza for online may tempt me.
Question is how is your Xbox modded and what does this Do to make it better?
 
yes it is.

OK, now with sexy modded xbox I have

1. region free RGB compatible dvd player (it's not bad quality)
2. tons of emulators (n64, snes, megadrive, playstation etc etc)
3. I can FTP stuff to and from my xbox, create back ups of HDD, change files etc
4. Store and run games off the hdd
5. Store div x films and mp3s on xbox and play em
6. Watch all my vids on my pc through my xbox through networking (easy as pie)
7. Listen to all my mp3s using my winamp play list off my pc
8. Browse the net through it
9. Custom desktops etc
10. Save any dvd to the hdd
11. Make the HDD bigger, easily done
12. Play norty copied games if your EVIL EVIL EVIL person

Theres LOADS LOADS LOADS more, but this is all I do.

in short I can watch vids on my tv, with out having to use the crap radeon tv out.

It's modded using a chip (obiously), and handy programs (once again easy to get hold of) :D
 
Cosmic
Ladies and gentelman! It's time to throw out your Xbox and buy a new PS2 with Pd's new GT4! 👍


Unless you actually want to race against people instead of dumb AI bots...
 
code_kev
Ninja Gaiden. Fable. Jade Empire. Rallisport 2. Forza. Panzer orta.

hmm. I see a flaw in your argument.


No you really don't. The key word he used was major. The only big game there is Ninji Gaiden (forza is not out yet). How many people have played the rest of them? 5? 6 people?

Really the xbox does struggle when it comes to A grade games. I simply can't find anything I want to play on my xbox. I played PGR2 for a long time (simply because of xbox live), but now I am bored of that I have not touched my xbox in weeks. And if you dont include xbox live play then I have hardly played on my xbox since I bought it. Its no surprise then that the only xbox games I am looking forward to are all live games. Honestly I think if you don't have a BB connection then the xbox is the worst console that has been on the market since the atari jag.

On the PS2 side Disgaea is keeping me happy but the real offline star is my Cube. There are stacks of games I am playing through on that at the moment, more than I have time for.
 
You're comparing it to an atari jag?

okay, that's just silly.

hahah. nasanu made a funny.

Seriously, unless by "worst console" you mean "seriously lacking japanese turn-based rpgs", you are wayyyyy off the mark buddy.
 
I said worst since the jag and I never made a reference to RPGs. It should tell you something about your self in that you are looking to defend things you only *think* I said about the xbox.

I think the xbox is lacking in quality games period. You may not think so, I don't care. I simply know that for those looking for more in a game then the latest derivative EA type tripe the xbox is barren.

You know I never sit at home and think, 'i am a nintendo fanboy today I am going to play me cube', I simply play what I feel like playing. When I get tired of online games the xbox is quite simply never what I want to play.
 
now that fable totally bombed, xbox is completely irrelevant. it's been that way and fable was the only real thing that could've changed that.

all xbox fanboys are what god bought his giant :OPINION DENIED!: stamp for.
 
nasanu
I said worst since the jag and I never made a reference to RPGs. It should tell you something about your self in that you are looking to defend things you only *think* I said about the xbox.

I think the xbox is lacking in quality games period. You may not think so, I don't care. I simply know that for those looking for more in a game then the latest derivative EA type tripe the xbox is barren.

You know I never sit at home and think, 'i am a nintendo fanboy today I am going to play me cube', I simply play what I feel like playing. When I get tired of online games the xbox is quite simply never what I want to play.

Try looking through all of the xbox games at your local gameshop. Chances are you'll find plenty to like if you try the games out instead of judging them by their box-covers and by internet or magazine reviews.

Saying there are no good games is a really overplayed and quite frankly ignorant thing to say in the first place. The xbox not having games YOU like would be more fair. There are plenty of GOOD and even GREAT games out on xbox, just like any other system, but they may not cater to your tastes.

If you're looking for Pikmin, best to stick with your cube. And no, I'm not bashing Pikmin, I just bought the 2nd one.
 
Ps2's graphics are jagged because it does not support anti ailiasing
 
Cosmic
Shut up your AI-whore ! :rolleyes:

Rather be an AI whore than a graphics whore! :)

Seeming as onlines out (for now) id rather they worked a fantastic AI engine than the splendid new graphics engine.
Of course if theyve done both, Ill worship them like GOD! 👍
 
Wait a minute? Only 5~6 ppl played Fable and it BOMBED? How come i didn't hear about this?

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/550/550511p1.html?fromint=1

Here's the article

September 23, 2004 - Microsoft Game Studios has reason to be proud: Today it announced that Fable, the beautiful and expansive Xbox-only RPG developed under the care of Peter Molyneux, has already broken records in its first week of sales.

Fable sold more than 375,000 units during its initial week of release (which translates into about $18.7 million gross). To offer some perspective, in one week that's about half the number of units Knights of the Old Republic sold in its first six months.

As for record breaking, Fable was had the biggest first-week sales at EB Games of any Xbox title, ever. At Game Rush, it broke first-week records for any game.

Could this be one of the biggest hits in the Xbox's history? That remains to be seen, especially with heavy contenders like Halo 2 still to emerge. But without a doubt, Big Blue Box's unique RPG is doing very well. Very well, indeed.
 
Cosmic
GT4 will sell better then that.

All i can say to that is no **** Capt. Obvious.

My comments were in regards to these two statements

"now that fable totally bombed, xbox is completely irrelevant. it's been that way and fable was the only real thing that could've changed that.

all xbox fanboys are what god bought his giant PINION DENIED!: stamp for."

" Ninja Gaiden. Fable. Jade Empire. Rallisport 2. Forza. Panzer orta.

hmm. I see a flaw in your argument.




No you really don't. The key word he used was major. The only big game there is Ninji Gaiden (forza is not out yet). How many people have played the rest of them? 5? 6 people?"
 
rallisport 2 actually sold well. How many people played ico? 3? Does that make it any less of a great game? No.
 
code_kev
_aj, I used the word "pwn" in sarcasm :P. It's the kinda thing your average 13 year old CS player says. But the modded xbox really is the best, it's obscenely good.

I really do despise piraters...blah...people like you are the reason games are getting worse, because companies are loosing so much money they can no longer afford to pay the money to invest in making decent titles...I hope you die :)
 
I'm not a games pirate thank you very much. Games, music and film companies get alot of money from me :P
 
kinigitt
Try looking through all of the xbox games at your local gameshop. Chances are you'll find plenty to like if you try the games out instead of judging them by their box-covers and by internet or magazine reviews.

Saying there are no good games is a really overplayed and quite frankly ignorant thing to say in the first place. The xbox not having games YOU like would be more fair. There are plenty of GOOD and even GREAT games out on xbox, just like any other system, but they may not cater to your tastes.

If you're looking for Pikmin, best to stick with your cube. And no, I'm not bashing Pikmin, I just bought the 2nd one.

While your statement is true, there are other things to take into consideration.

If you look at numbers and sales, the truth is that PS2 has many more titles that sell more copies on an average than xbox, which is why the PS2 has remained a strong contender in the game right now, because of it's software support. People know what's great.

While xbox is good, and has good games, the amount of good games does not match that of PS2.

As for gamecube, it's an innovative system, and most of the games feature new concepts or twists, and it's great fun to play.

And as for Fable, had microsoft told everyone just how short it is...it wouldn't have done so well...that's my opinion anyway.
 
tha_con
While your statement is true, there are other things to take into consideration.

If you look at numbers and sales, the truth is that PS2 has many more titles that sell more copies on an average than xbox, which is why the PS2 has remained a strong contender in the game right now, because of it's software support. People know what's great.

While xbox is good, and has good games, the amount of good games does not match that of PS2.

As for gamecube, it's an innovative system, and most of the games feature new concepts or twists, and it's great fun to play.

And as for Fable, had microsoft told everyone just how short it is...it wouldn't have done so well...that's my opinion anyway.


Copies sold is totally irrelevant to whether or not the games are good. I don't ask people on the street what games they buy to determine which ones I should. If sales are what shows what is good or not, then EA must be making the world's best games.

Of course they cannot match the number of good games for PS2. There are umpteen more games for the PS2. The ratio of good games to bad would be probably be higher on Xbox, IMO. I have more than enough games to fill my free time for years to come, and lots of new additions, so a lack of games (numerically speaking) is of no concern to me. The good thing about PS2 is that there is always something interesting to rent, whereas on xbox I own all the choice cuts, so I only rent new releases. GT3 and MGS2: Substance kept my PS2 running for a year and a half, then KOTOR and Ninja Gaiden (not to mention the live and multiplayer games) started to eat bigger slices of my gaming time.

As for Fable, it's pretty good rental material. I'm trading it in when I beat it. The music is noteworthy at least.
 
I hate fanboyism, I'm not an Xbox fanboy, but I can *sadly* tell that some of you on here are PS2 fanboys. The only reason I am putting up these games is because I have a better knowledge of the Xbox library, and I need to balance it out a wee bit.

Awesome games for Xbox (or soon to come)
PGR
PGR2
RSC
RSC2
Fable
Halo
Halo 2
Forza (it looks to be good)
GTA:DP
Mechassault
Mechassault 2
Doom III
Half Life 2
Morrowind
Star Wars KOTOR
Ninja Gaiden
Full Spectrum Warrior
DOA:U
JSRF (I wish I still had it)
Amped
Amped 2
Deus Ex 2
Top Spin

That's a lot of high quality games. Then again, no one should have nearly this many games lol...

EDIT

Also, I have 15 games and I hardly play most of them, I only play a few. 10 games should be plenty for anyone, as you can pack quite a bit of variety in there.

The PS2 usually sells more copies because its user base is about 2 times that of the Xbox., yet Xbox games usually come close behind... hmm...
 
Back