And I considered myself an "Xbox-fanboy"!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lofberg
  • 132 comments
  • 4,852 views
code_kev
I'm not a games pirate thank you very much. Games, music and film companies get alot of money from me :P

I'm pretty sure i remember you saying you had "tons of games" on your Xbox HDD...hmm...I'm pretty sure I remember that actually...

and there is basically no other used for a modded xbox other than putting games on them and running them via emulators.

Kinigitt: Providing developers with PC based tools does make them easy. PC games have always been the easiest to program for, reason for this is because it has to work across a span of diffrent power spreads on different PC's, so it's simple to program for, and the coding is not complex, the only problem is it often sacrifices what the system is capable of.

In the case of Xbox, using a tool that was created to develop games for both weaker and stronger PC"s is a huge disadvantage IMO, because it makes developers stick to their PC roots and code simple games and limit the potential of the system.

I never said that magically PS2 would get better than Xbox, however, the architecture was ahead of it's time, and had the processor been as powerfull as xbox, you would have noticed that the PS2 would blow it out of the water, just because the chipset is superior to that of intel and nvidia. You fail to see that PS2 was a huge leap in terms of technology. Sure it was difficult to program for, but that was because no one had ever seen anything like it before, it was new technology, and now look, games that are being produced on a weaker machine can come close to rivaling that of what is on a much more powerful machine, all because of the harware...I do hope that microsoft does not just use cheap PC parts in their next console, because I won't buy that one either. I prefer new technology because it will make advances and get better, not rehashed. Hell look at Sony's new Disc media, the Blu Ray disk holds THIRTY gigs of data...while I'm pretty sure we'll see Xbox2 still using standard DVD. Can you imagine THIRTY gigs on a disc? We could possibly see thousands of cars, hundreds of tracks, hold TONS of textures/info, not to mention tons of car models for different damaged pieces. All PS3 has to do to launch an amazing console, is use this format, make it twice as strong as PS2 (processor wise) and include out of the box internet access with a HDD and they will have microsoft yet again. Sure microsoft will release their console before sony, but I think sony will still have the upper hand as far as fan base and technology comes around...we'll see though.
 
if xbox2 is released first, than that imo is a benefit for Sony.
They can look at the xbox2 and make a more powerful console.
Sony can sit and wait, while nintendo and microsoft cant.
Either way the ball is in SONY court.
 
I'm anticipating complaints, sarcasm, hate, and all that. So all of you oppurtunistic attackers who have me on the top of your hitlist, get ready.

This goes back to something I may have said before. If you like the XBOX, that's okay. If you like the PS2, that's okay as well. You called yourself an XBOX "fanboy," Lofberg? It's perfectly fine if you like GT4 even though you love the XBOX. Hell, I'm not a big XBOX fan, but I liked "Project Gotham Racing 2" and "RallySport Challenge 2" (I played both of them as demos. The only non-demo games I played were HALO and PGR1). Even though there were games I played before and liked, I wouldn't get me an XBOX. I'm happy with the PS2 as much as you're happy with the PS2. And in this context, I'm not trying to motivate you to sell your system in favor of a lesser or greater system.

It's perfectly fine to be in your spot, Lofberg. Even if you just want a PS2 to just play GT4, that's fine. It's the same like I have a GameCube to play "MegaMan: Network Transmission" and "Super Smash Bros. Melee." So I'm not going to attack systems here. So to make a long story short, DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT, Lofberg!

Okay, I'm done. Go ahead and attack me.
 
No, I never said I had ANY xbox games on my HDD, I said you COULD :P.

I invite you to quote me wrong. Oh wait, you can't.

All my xbox games are real, as are my ps2 games.
 
iceburns288
Also, I have 15 games and I hardly play most of them, I only play a few. 10 games should be plenty for anyone, as you can pack quite a bit of variety in there.
Then I should get rid of some 40 games here....
 
tha_con
I'm pretty sure i remember you saying you had "tons of games" on your Xbox HDD...hmm...I'm pretty sure I remember that actually...

and there is basically no other used for a modded xbox other than putting games on them and running them via emulators.

Kinigitt: Providing developers with PC based tools does make them easy. PC games have always been the easiest to program for, reason for this is because it has to work across a span of diffrent power spreads on different PC's, so it's simple to program for, and the coding is not complex, the only problem is it often sacrifices what the system is capable of.

In the case of Xbox, using a tool that was created to develop games for both weaker and stronger PC"s is a huge disadvantage IMO, because it makes developers stick to their PC roots and code simple games and limit the potential of the system.

I never said that magically PS2 would get better than Xbox, however, the architecture was ahead of it's time, and had the processor been as powerfull as xbox, you would have noticed that the PS2 would blow it out of the water, just because the chipset is superior to that of intel and nvidia. You fail to see that PS2 was a huge leap in terms of technology. Sure it was difficult to program for, but that was because no one had ever seen anything like it before, it was new technology, and now look, games that are being produced on a weaker machine can come close to rivaling that of what is on a much more powerful machine, all because of the harware...I do hope that microsoft does not just use cheap PC parts in their next console, because I won't buy that one either. I prefer new technology because it will make advances and get better, not rehashed. Hell look at Sony's new Disc media, the Blu Ray disk holds THIRTY gigs of data...while I'm pretty sure we'll see Xbox2 still using standard DVD. Can you imagine THIRTY gigs on a disc? We could possibly see thousands of cars, hundreds of tracks, hold TONS of textures/info, not to mention tons of car models for different damaged pieces. All PS3 has to do to launch an amazing console, is use this format, make it twice as strong as PS2 (processor wise) and include out of the box internet access with a HDD and they will have microsoft yet again. Sure microsoft will release their console before sony, but I think sony will still have the upper hand as far as fan base and technology comes around...we'll see though.

As I said, the advanced technology doesnt do much good if the end products, the games, come out limited and pale technically compared to the games made on the "cheaper" hardware from the xbox. It's like a high-tech low-displacement engine compared to a low-tech high-displacement engine. No matter how fancy the engineering, the point is moot unless it produces better results. It may be more efficient, but the the objective is performance.

Xbox 2 will be using Hitachi's new standard of disc, called H-dvd, which holds slightly less than the Blu ray disc, but is pretty much the same. Different formats, same deal. The can't use blu ray because, well, it would look kind of dumb to be borrowing from the competition.

edit: researched a bit more on blu ray and HD-dvd.

Blu ray is apparently superior, holding about TWICE as much as HD-dvd, but costing more to produce. If so, Microsoft should eat some humble-pie and make a bargain with the blu-ray group (not entirely owned and operated by Sony as it seems). On the other hand, Microsoft supposedly has the most cutting edge codec, so it would be a tradeoff of sorts; Sony licensing out the hardware and Microsoft raking it back in for the software.

And the HD-dvd has nothing to do with hitachi like I thought. It was samsung I was thinking about. There's a link on IGN about it.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/553/553059p2.html
 
"kinigitt"?
I am an electric-food-trough-wiper!
Now go and boil your bottom, you silly King!

Cool name, dude!

Despite the fact that I am a stalwart Sony loyalist, I recently bought a used XBox so as not to miss some of those games in that list down below. The first game I purchased was Deus Ex: Invisible War. What a disappointment! I would much rather play the first Deus EX on my PS2. Feeling a little let-down, I bought both XBox pack-in discs (used) -- SegaGT/JSRF and Tetris/Clone Wars. I have put about 25 hours into SegaGT, zero for JetSetRidiculous, zero for Crap Wars, and Tetris about once a week for the last month.
LET DOWN AGAIN!
Full Spectrum Warrior is still $40 used.
So is Chronicles of Riddick.
Halo used is still an INSANE $23.99. What the hell!?!
Deus Ex 2 is crap...worth $5 trade-in credit.

I picked up the XBox so I can play Doom3, Half-Life2, and definitely Halo2.
But obviously nobody is really buying XBox games in my neck 'o' the woods.

So, I guess I'll just sit back and play my PS2 like I've done for 4 years now, and wait for dropping prices on the games I want now, and wait for those upcoming games I want which I might hardly ever play since I'll be TOO BUSY WITH GT4!

On a sub-conscious level, I believe that all the "Boxers" realize they are tiny underdogs compared to the masses of "Stationeers" and are clinging to the hope that they will one day score a victory. But now how are they going to win the battle when they keep pushing back the date of the attack?

C'mon MICROSOFT!!!! I use your damn operating system which has more holes than swiss cheese! I bought your console which offers no cost-efficient quality software!

To quote Master Shake : "Seventy-Thirty...is this yours?...well, it's not good enough...it's crap and it's outta here!"

SONY LOYALISTS UNITE!! (actually, we really don't need to, now do we...)
 
oh...OH, WAIT!
I forgot one bright star in the gloomy realm of XBox.

On Oct. 19, Tron 2.0 : Killer App will be released for XBox.

You see that guy on the left?
<-------------

"That's Tron...he fights for the users."
 
"Sony loyalists unite"?

I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries.
 
kinigitt
As I said, the advanced technology doesnt do much good if the end products, the games, come out limited and pale technically compared to the games made on the "cheaper" hardware from the xbox. It's like a high-tech low-displacement engine compared to a low-tech high-displacement engine. No matter how fancy the engineering, the point is moot unless it produces better results. It may be more efficient, but the the objective is performance.

Xbox 2 will be using Hitachi's new standard of disc, called H-dvd, which holds slightly less than the Blu ray disc, but is pretty much the same. Different formats, same deal. The can't use blu ray because, well, it would look kind of dumb to be borrowing from the competition.

edit: researched a bit more on blu ray and HD-dvd.

Blu ray is apparently superior, holding about TWICE as much as HD-dvd, but costing more to produce. If so, Microsoft should eat some humble-pie and make a bargain with the blu-ray group (not entirely owned and operated by Sony as it seems). On the other hand, Microsoft supposedly has the most cutting edge codec, so it would be a tradeoff of sorts; Sony licensing out the hardware and Microsoft raking it back in for the software.

And the HD-dvd has nothing to do with hitachi like I thought. It was samsung I was thinking about. There's a link on IGN about it.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/553/553059p2.html

While I agree that Xbox is more powerful, unless they stand away from the PC based system...they will get crushed IMO in the next gen of consoles. Sony isn't a company to sit back and get smashed, and they know exactly what microsoft is up to now.

roughly 7 years ago when production and research began on the PS2 I promise you Sony did not know that Microsoft would put out a PC based system. Otherwise I'm positive they would have produced a system with a faster processor. The thing to take into consideration here is the difference between the two. Has PS2 been stronger in the processor and memory departments, the games would have looked superior, nothing else would have been needed.

Think of this. PS3 could be a moderate upgrade to PS2, with a faster processor, and much more memory, and they would already be on par with Xbox 2, because if microsoft stays with PC compnents, then they will only be as current as PC's, which means even Xbox2 would not be able to run Doom3 at it's max :P hehe.

But seriously, if sony did maintain a similar chip architecture with the PS3 and bump up all the components and add an HDD, then think of it...Programmers that already know how to push it, and they have TONS of new power to play with, along with an HDD to use for cache info, storage etc...microsoft would be hard pressed to compete with that...especially when they are releasing their console a year early (in hopes of doing what sony did in 2K-2K4...staying ahead of the game)...see what I mean? It won't take a whole lot for sony to do well during the next gen wars...I really hope that Microsoft has some big tricks up their sleeves...big.
 
Screw Microsoft and there Xbox, Sony is the shiznit.
 
Try not brand ass kissing in future.

The xbox is a fine machine with fine games.
 
iceburns288
Awesome games for Xbox (or soon to come)

PGR2
Halo
Halo 2
Forza (it looks to be good)
Half Life 2
Ninja Gaiden
JSRF (I wish I still had it)

Isn't that what you meant?
 
Back