Announcing GTune 5 for iOS - Now supports ALL Cars & latest DLC

• Thread starter pgagoober
  • 419 comments
Not I am actually thinking about buying this. But what exactly does it do?

Basically, the app allows you to adapt an existing tune for use on other cars with similar drivetrains. So if you have a favorite tune for a particular RWD car, you can use that tune to automatically generate new tunes for any other RWD car, while maintaing the handling characteristics of the original tune.

The app also includes some tuning assistants which allow you to make changes to ballast, aero, and spring rate settings while retaining the tune's handling balance. Beyond that, it is also a great way to record and manage your tunes. Each tune can be associated with particular tracks or groups of tracks, and can be tagged as appropriate for online or offline use.

There is more to it than that and there are more features planned for the near future. You can get more information on the website at http://www.gtune5.com.

Thanks for asking!

That actually sounds like something I could use a lot...
At first, I thought it was just another app like GTCalc, but optimizing tunes for different cars is something I haven't seen before. I would buy it, but I just realized I only have $4.76 left on my iTunes account...👎

Ooooooh you made this! I saw it like the day it came out and wanted to try it so much, but it was just out of reach from my normal budget on apps (free lol). It looks pretty cool and would save me so much time if it works as advertised. Especially since I usually tune for every style there is. I really hope Apple updates the app store in iOS6 to finally be able to test apps before you buy and if they do this will be the first app on my list.

shmogt
Ooooooh you made this! I saw it like the day it came out and wanted to try it so much, but it was just out of reach from my normal budget on apps (free lol). It looks pretty cool and would save me so much time if it works as advertised. Especially since I usually tune for every style there is. I really hope Apple updates the app store in iOS6 to finally be able to test apps before you buy and if they do this will be the first app on my list.

Honestly mate,its good.all i do now is work my butt off on one tune,get it sweet,then transfer to another car,then tweak if necessary.
It's definately worth the money,cause like you said,you like all styles so you could have a base car for each tune.Then it's as simple as using inTune to generate tunes for other cars 👍 No more trying to work how to give this car the same sort of handling characteristics as that car.

I really hope Apple updates the app store in iOS6 to finally be able to test apps before you buy and if they do this will be the first app on my list.

That reminds me, what is the required OS for this to run? My iPod only has 4.2.1 and it can't update it at all.

Any more standard car requests? I will be submitting version 1.02 in the next few days, as soon as Apple approves 1.01. 1.02 primarily is just a bug-fix, but I can take the opportunity to add a few more popular standard cars if you let me know what you would like included. As mentioned before, all standards will be included by the end of September.

In other news, work is progressing well on the transmission tuning. As far as I can tell so far, GT5 does a decent job setting ratios, but there are some potentially substantial gains to be had from accurately determining the best shift point. Right now, that's where my focus is. If you have any ideas you would like to share, post here or send me a PM.

Thanks!

Apple has approved version 1.01 and it should be available in the App Store within the next 24 hours. It includes the standard cars listed above, and a fix for the issue where a new tune could be lost if the app was killed immediately after creating the tune.

Enjoy!

Might lose inTune-generated tunes. Working on it now. Testing did not show the problem but it looks like something different is happening with the App Store update procedure :(

I just added a note to the App Store update description :

"IMPORTANT!!! : Please backup before running this update. There might be a problem with losing some tunes generated with inTune. To make sure you avoid this, you can make a copy of any inTune-generated tunes by tapping "+" on the tunes list for that car, then select "Copy" and choose the inTune-generated tune. Do this for all inTune-generated tunes. Sorry about the additional work involved. It seems the App Store update procedure works differently to updates from the XCode development environment :(. I assure you this will NOT happen again...."

So sorry about this guys - I still don't know how this happened. I cannot reproduce the problem in any scenario while testing with Xcode. It just shows up when installing an update directly from the App Store.

OK - Panic averted :)

After recovering from near heart failure, I figured out what is going on.

As previously discussed in this thread, 1.0 had a bug where an inTune-generated tune could be lost if you killed the app right after generating the tune. I have now been able to clarify exactly when that happens and it is directly related to the potential update problem with 1.01 :

When you create a new inTune, the bug in my code created an inability for the app to save the tune. This inability to save persisted until the user began editing a tune through any path other than from the inTune generation screen. Once any subsequent edit was performed on any tune, any recently inTune-generated tunes that were kind of hanging around in limbo without being saved, would then be successfully saved in the database.

The short story is - before you update, open the app and make an edit (and save!) to any existing tune. You can immediately revert the change if you wish. After that you should be safe to update.

The reason I started to panic was I ran a quick test when 1.01 was approved earlier today. I launched a fresh copy of 1.0 and quickly created 3 inTunes. Then I closed the app and updated to 1.01 when it was available from the App Store. Of course all the tunes I had generated were gone! After putting away the defibrillator I finally calmed down and figured out what was happening :dunce:

Sorry for the panic. Update away (after making an edit as suggested above :) )

Last edited:
Thanks Eric. I'm afraid I can't take the credit though - CSLACR made a great suggestion earlier in the thread and I followed it :D If anyone has any remaining requests for standard cars in the next update, speak up as I will be submitting 1.02 in the next 48hrs.

Staggered keeps people happier for a longer wait.
Being new, I'd probably aim for the most popular cars first.
The link to all the tunes on GTPlanet will show you the cars with the most available tunes.
More tunes made will typically mean more tunes for that car have been requested and/or it's a popular car.👍

In other news, work is progressing well on the transmission tuning. As far as I can tell so far, GT5 does a decent job setting ratios, but there are some potentially substantial gains to be had from accurately determining the best shift point. Right now, that's where my focus is. If you have any ideas you would like to share, post here or send me a PM.
Not sure how far you've gotten with this, but shift points are determined by analyzing where the total multiplied torque output of one gear intersects the next. Two things are required to calculate shift points: a) transmission ratios, which are obviously easy to obtain, and b) a list of flywheel torque readings in something like 100 RPM increments. Unfortunately no such thing exists in GT5. The only way around this that I can think of would be to take a screenshot of the dyno graph from the game, import it into a photo editing program, superimpose a grid over the torque curve and manually create an approximate list from that. Needless to say, very time consuming. And in most cases you'd find the calculated optimum shift point occurs past redline anyway, with most exceptions being "puke 'n die" cars where the torque curve really plummets several thousand RPM before redline i.e. 440 Cuda, R33 LM Road Car, etc.

Anyways, if you can figure out a shortcut you're a better man than I am. Good luck with the app, it looks pretty sweet. :cheers:

oppositelock
The only way around this that I can think of would be to take a screenshot of the dyno graph from the game, import it into a photo editing program, superimpose a grid over the torque curve and manually create an approximate list from that. Needless to say, very time consuming.

Funny you mention that :) That's pretty much what I'm working on. I hope to allow the user to take a pic of the onscreen dyno and then analyze the image to map the necessary data within the app. I'm not yet 100% certain I can pull it off but I'm very optimistic.

The amount of data that GT5 exposes is unfortunately quite sparse, but I do believe there is enough there to gain an advantage if it's processed correctly. As you point out though, there are many cars in the game where the shift points will be at redline anyway, so there is less to be gained for those. I still might have a trick or two to offer even for those, but the gains will likely be more in drive-ability than in lap times.

Thanks a lot for your comments oppositelock. Very much appreciated!

gamerdog6482
That reminds me, what is the required OS for this to run? My iPod only has 4.2.1 and it can't update it at all.

A problem has just come to my attention with running the app on iOS 4.x. It has been fixed and will be included in 1.02, which will be submitted no later than tomorrow. Anyone running a device incapable of updating to iOS 5 should hold off until 1.02 is released. Sorry gamerdog!

p.s. gamerdog - sent you a PM.

Last edited:
A question about the app.

If I select a track for the tune does it tune for that specific track or is it a general use setup

Any plans for an android app?

The best answer I can give right now is I hope so. If the iOS app is successful I will certainly start work on an Android version asap. I still have work to complete on the iOS version first though. Stay tuned.... ;)

A question about the app.

If I select a track for the tune does it tune for that specific track or is it a general use setup

The track selection is there to provide you with a means to note which tracks you feel the tune in question is suited for. If you have a tune that you like for say the Nürburgring, you can use that as the basis for generating more tunes that will also be suitable for the Nürburgring. Since the app is designed to customize tunes to your preferences, it makes no assumption about what will work for you for any given track or situation. It all depends on the tunes you choose to adapt to other cars.

I will be looking into adding more sample tunes for different scenarios such as Rally, Drift and Drag to expand the default options available to you. You can also look for tunes shared in the Tuning forum for specific tracks or driving styles and use those as base tunes in the app.

I will be happy to take suggestions on the type of sample tunes that should be included, but it should be noted that any particular sample tune will not necessarily appeal to everyone. So far however, most users have liked the existing sample tunes provided and I will try to keep that up where possible. I will likely post some sample tunes in this thread for feedback before including them in the app. If you have any tunes you would like to suggest please do so and others can comment on them here.

Back