Announcing GTune 5 for iOS - Now supports ALL Cars & latest DLC

• Thread starter pgagoober
  • 419 comments
I have this app on my wife's ipad and is working great. I had my wife use her account to download to my old iphone version 4.2.1 so I don't have to borrow her ipad when she's on it and I'm trying to work on a tune. When I tap the setting button it does nothng but goes back to the home screen. Is this one of the bug you are referring to?

Yes, I'm afraid so. It is fixed in version 1.02 and should be approved and released by Apple sometime next week.

For those interested in the boring details of how I managed to screw this up: Apple seems to have a policy of pushing developers to always develop for the latest version of iOS and as such they no longer provide a means to test apps on iOS 4.x via the simulator. Apple's advice for supporting older devices is to always build with the latest SDK and set your deployment target to the earliest version of iOS you wish to support. I made the mistaken assumption that by following this advice the development environment would warn me if I was using APIs that were not supported on my deployment target iOS. It does not.

The app was tested on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S before release, but because Apple also does not allow a developer to install earlier releases of iOS on a device I did not test on a physical device running 4.x. In retrospect this was clearly a bad mistake on my part. I knew I was not using any hardware-dependant features so I did not expect to run into any problems with older hardware that I did not have in-hand for testing. Needless to say as soon as the first bug report came in, I jumped on Craigslist and scrambled to get my hands on a 3G.

Wanna know the big problem that caused the crash? Setting a color on a button :mad: As frustrating as it must be for iOS 4.x users to encounter this problem, believe me I'm right there with you. Nonetheless it was clearly my fault and I apologize once again that this happened.

This experience makes me very concerned about developing a version for Android, which currently runs on in excess of 1300 devices and multiple vendor-specific versions of the OS! Trying to create a high quality and reliable app on such a fragmented platform is a scary prospect to say the least :scared: I certainly have made no decision on that yet but it would be a very expensive development process in both time and money, so the business case for it will need to be loud and clear. I don't need to make money from it but I would at least need to break even and more importantly not damage the reputation of the app by having it crash on devices that I cannot possibly hope to test. I think every developer is hoping Google somehow find a way to get control of this situation. I sincerely hope that happens soon.

pgagoober
Yes, I'm afraid so. It is fixed in version 1.02 and should be approved and released by Apple sometime next week.

For those interested in the boring details of how I managed to screw this up: Apple seems to have a policy of pushing developers to always develop for the latest version of iOS and as such they no longer provide a means to test apps on iOS 4.x via the simulator. Apple's advice for supporting older devices is to always build with the latest SDK and set your deployment target to the earliest version of iOS you wish to support. I made the mistaken assumption that by following this advice the development environment would warn me if I was using APIs that were not supported on my deployment target iOS. It does not.

The app was tested on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S before release, but because Apple also does not allow a developer to install earlier releases of iOS on a device I did not test on a physical device running 4.x. In retrospect this was clearly a bad mistake on my part. I knew I was not using any hardware-dependant features so I did not expect to run into any problems with older hardware that I did not have in-hand for testing. Needless to say as soon as the first bug report came in, I jumped on Craigslist and scrambled to get my hands on a 3G.

Wanna know the big problem that caused the crash? Setting a color on a button :mad: As frustrating as it must be for iOS 4.x users to encounter this problem, believe me I'm right there with you. Nonetheless it was clearly my fault and I apologize once again that this happened.

This experience makes me very concerned about developing a version for Android, which currently runs on in excess of 1300 devices and multiple vendor-specific versions of the OS! Trying to create a high quality and reliable app on such a fragmented platform is a scary prospect to say the least :scared: I certainly have made no decision on that yet but it would be a very expensive development process in both time and money, so the business case for it will need to be loud and clear. I don't need to make money from it but I would at least need to break even and more importantly not damage the reputation of the app by having it crash on devices that I cannot possibly hope to test. I think every developer is hoping Google somehow find a way to get control of this situation. I sincerely hope that happens soon.

Thanks for the explanation. I put this iphone in the side already since I switched to an android phone now. Just thought I could use the iphone again just for this app. I will have to bother my wife for her ipad for now,:). Keep up the great work. Thanks again.

Run away now! Save your sanity! :)

When I first released my GT5 Tuner app on Android, I simply didn't comprehend the number of devices out there: Different screen sizes, resolutions, DPI and it has been somewhat of a nightmare. While the app was solely on GTPlanet, feedback was good and I was able to develop new screen layouts for the different devices - There are no fewer than 5 distinct screen layout types in my app, all requiring their own versions of each screen the user sees.

Then there are the different versions of Android - I made the decision to only let the app run on 2.1 and above, something you will need to make your own decision on. Most users are now on 2.3 and above which makes things a bit easier. Developing for older versions meant even more screen layouts!

Tried to search for the answer...didn't help.

Basically, is there a link to what standard cars are included in the app. Seeing as how theres only a very few cars I actually use. (90% of then standard).

Thanks.
Xm.

Run away now! Save your sanity! :)

When I first released my GT5 Tuner app on Android, I simply didn't comprehend the number of devices out there: Different screen sizes, resolutions, DPI and it has been somewhat of a nightmare. While the app was solely on GTPlanet, feedback was good and I was able to develop new screen layouts for the different devices - There are no fewer than 5 distinct screen layout types in my app, all requiring their own versions of each screen the user sees.

Then there are the different versions of Android - I made the decision to only let the app run on 2.1 and above, something you will need to make your own decision on. Most users are now on 2.3 and above which makes things a bit easier. Developing for older versions meant even more screen layouts!

5 layout types?? Ouch.... I'm hoping that Google will do something about it soon. Schmidt's prediction that devs will begin to favor Android is nowhere remotely close to coming true so it's a problem they clearly need to address. If they would even exercise more control over which devices can download a particular app then at least a developer could enlist the help of Beta testers to qualify the app on various devices and only release for those that are known to work. For now I still have plenty to do on the iOS version so fortunately I don't need to make any decisions just yet.

I got the app, just waiting for the iOS 4 fix!

Thanks a lot! I'll let you know the moment the App's review status changes. Usually a new revision is approved within a couple hours of when Apple beginning to look at it. Unfortunately they sure take their time getting around to that though.

Can I request the three road going Paganis to be included in the next update? Thanks.

Done - I'll throw in the LM too for completion's sake. Look for them in 1.03 in 2-3 weeks.

I've bought the app too, and have no regrets. Throwing different base tunes on a car and comparing lap times is fun. Very useful to keep a record of different car tunes. Looking forward to seeing further nice features added.

Well done!

I used the inTune feature of this app for my Toyota Tacoma(not on list) ,just to try, and used it for the truck seasonals and won each race. I went online, too, to check the tune using soft hard tyres and it's great.

Glad I didn't buy it then.

But then again he seems to be just like any company that develops games, Releases an incomplete version just to make the bucks, then adds junk on later.

No disrespect to the maker, just pointing out how marketing works now a days

I've bought the app too, and have no regrets. Throwing different base tunes on a car and comparing lap times is fun. Very useful to keep a record of different car tunes. Looking forward to seeing further nice features added.

Well done!

I used the inTune feature of this app for my Toyota Tacoma(not on list) ,just to try, and used it for the truck seasonals and won each race. I went online, too, to check the tune using soft hard tyres and it's great.

Thanks guys. I'll never get tired of hearing success stories :D

Does this app work for droid

Sorry johnnyspeed - for now this is for iOS only. Android may happen later depending on various factors but for now there is still work to be done on the iOS version.

Speaking of which, I wanted to give you guys an update on my progress. I have been working on the transmission tuning feature and although it is proving to be quite a challenge I am making progress. The biggest benefit that I have been able to achieve in testing is by accurately hitting the optimal shift points for a particular car's setup. For many cars, the optimal shift point will be at redline, but for others there are some substantial gains to be had by shifting earlier. Typically such a car will optimally require a redline shift in 1st, a slightly lower shift in second and then reaching a fairly consistent shift point for the remaining gears but sometimes well below redline. The only way to really determine this is by analyzing the car's dyno graph. To do this within the app I have been working on a system that will allow the user to take a picture of the graph from the tuning screen and then analyzing that picture pixel-by-pixel to transform it into usable data. I knew this would not be easy but I had no idea just how difficult it really is. The variable nature of the picture produced by the camera presents all kinds of problems but I am getting to grips with it and I am beginning to get some good results detecting the edges of the graph's bounding box on-screen. Once I can repeatedly get the correct co-ordinates for that box, then I can proceed to grab the graph data and import it into the tune's database entry. From there, the magic can happen :D So it's getting there but will take some time to get it right.

In other news I am trying to add all remaining tuner, rally and race cars in the next update (1.03). Hopefully that will cover the majority of the cars most folks use on a regular basis, and I will follow up with the remaining standard cars as planned by the end of September.

Finally - and this is where I could use your help - I would like to add some more sample tunes to the app. Specifically I want to add drag, drift and rally sample tunes. If you have a favorite tune for any of those disciplines and you would be ok with me using them in the app, please forward them to me and I'll try them out. I'll try to pick some solid generic tunes that transfer well from car to car.

Here is a pic of work in progress on the transmission tuner. See that little green line across the graph area? You wouldn't believe how much work it took to get the app to automatically determine where to place that :crazy: It's a big step towards getting all the necessary data though, so as boring as this image may be - I just LOVE it :D

IMG_2435.PNG

pgagoober
Finally - and this is where I could use your help - I would like to add some more sample tunes to the app. Specifically I want to add drag, drift and rally sample tunes. If you have a favorite tune for any of those disciplines and you would be ok with me using them in the app, please forward them to me and I'll try them out. I'll try to pick some solid generic tunes that transfer well from car to car.

Remember I can help you with the drag tunes mate 👍

Tried to search for the answer...didn't help.

Basically, is there a link to what standard cars are included in the app. Seeing as how theres only a very few cars I actually use. (90% of then standard).

Thanks.
Xm.

Hi Xamado7V,
The app currently supoports all premium cars with the exception of the GT Academy 2012 versions. It also includes support for a little over 50 of the most popular standard cars. You can see the list in the News section of the website at http://www.gtune5.com/news.html. Version 1.02 should be approved and released by Apple any day now and I am planning a substantial update to the supported cars in version 1.03. That update will include all remaining race, rally and tuner cars, in addition to the GT Academy 2012 cars. All remaining standard cars will be supported as planned by the end of September. If you have any favorite cars that are not already mentioned above, please let me know and I will include them in 1.03 which will likely be submitted by the end of this week and released once Apple has reviewed the update (this is currently taking about 8 days).

I wish I hadn't bought the app now, hardly any cars in it. A right rip off.

Sorry you feel that way. Please see my comments above and if there are any cars you would like added that are not already mentioned for already-submitted updates or the planned 1.03 update, please let me know and I'll make sure I get them in.

Glad I didn't buy it then.

But then again he seems to be just like any company that develops games, Releases an incomplete version just to make the bucks, then adds junk on later.

No disrespect to the maker, just pointing out how marketing works now a days

With all due respect Shadow, you are making some incorrect but perhaps understandable assumptions about my approach to this app. I have been working on it full-time for more than a year now and I could have submitted a much less polished version a long time ago. Instead I chose to spend whatever time was necessary to deliver something with substantial value right away in version 1.0. I chose to release with premium car support only as I felt most users would prefer to get their hands on it now and start using it with premium cars right away, rather than wait and get support for all cars a couple of months later. It really does take that long to gather the necessary data to make the app work. Based on the feedback I have received from customers so far, I am confident I made the right choice to release now and add the standard car support asap.

I assure you that I am certainly not getting rich from this and I have little doubt I would be financially better off had I spent the last year doing just about anything else. Nonetheless, I have made a commitment to myself and my customers that I will settle for nothing less than the best possible experience I can deliver in GTune 5 and I will not stop working on it until that happens.

Thanks for your interest and I hope you'll consider picking up the app at some point.

Bought it an hour ago :) now I have to find out how it works. Tried the 86 tune, and liked it. Wanted to transfer that to a 4wd, but that's not possible so I tried on Camaro '10. It needs some tuning after copying the 86 tune

hazellnut134
Any news on the update?

Also I posted a review telling people why the app is crashing to stop bad reviews.

No news yet I'm afraid. I'm hoping it gets reviewed and released today. I saw your review - thanks a lot for doing that!

This is great work pgagoober Love the look of this app, really clean and professional.
It's absolute garbage that Apple and The Gov take more than half of it..
Hope to see that update out soon :) 👍
Keep up the good work.

This is great work pgagoober Love the look of this app, really clean and professional.
It's absolute garbage that Apple and The Gov take more than half of it..
Hope to see that update out soon :) 👍
Keep up the good work.

Thanks a lot mitch. I'm with you on the cut Apple and the Gov. take but I guess without Apple there wouldn't be a market to sell into. Without the government....well.....let's leave that one alone :D

Version 1.02 is now available in the App Store!
(Apple say it can take up to 24 hours to propagate to all App Store servers but in my experience it happens much sooner than that - I have already been able to update.)

This version fixes the crash experienced on iOS 4.x devices and adds the following cars:

★ Mazda :: RX-7 Type R (FD, J) '91
★ Nissan :: 180SX Type X '96
★ Nissan :: 200SX '96
★ Nissan :: 240SX '96
★ Tom's :: X540 Chaser '00
★ Toyota :: Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex '83

Thanks a lot to all iOS 4.x users for your patience waiting for this update. I hope you now enjoy using the app and please let me know if you encounter any other issues or if you have any suggestions or feedback of any kind.

In the next few days I plan to submit version 1.02 1.03 which will include a large update to the standard cars database. I'll post more details about that soon.

Brendan.

Last edited:
Not really a big issue, I just notice that there is no picture icons when renaming the tune in my iphone ver.4.x not like in the ipad where I can put an "ok(hand gesture)" sign if the tune is just good and a "thumbs up" if it's great. Again, not a biggy.

mkel1966
Not really a big issue, I just notice that there is no picture icons when renaming the tune in my iphone ver.4.x not like in the ipad where I can put an "ok(hand gesture)" sign if the tune is just good and a "thumbs up" if it's great. Again, not a biggy.

Hi mkel,
Can you tell how you are inputting those symbols on the iPad? They are not provided by the app but perhaps I need to do something specific to enable them on iOS 4. - Never mind - see next post.

Thanks,
Brendan.

Last edited:
Back