Another Fanatec wheel arrives!

• Thread starter jonboy1066
  • 3,981 comments
Ordered my GT2 last week and it arrived today!

A few dissappointments though... I opted just to get the wheel and to use my existing G25 pedals with it. They don't work. Not in GT5 on PS3; not in iRacing on PC. When I look for the visual indication of throttle or brake activity, there's nothing - unless I wildy press both gas and brake simultaneously, and then release them quickly... Seems very random.

The wheel itself is just as great as I was hoping it would be, and I'm looking forward to being able to play Forza 3 and 4 on Xbox.

Just wondering if there's any quick tips on fixing the pedal problem, or if I'll need to go the dreaded problem documentation route I've seen so many posts about... Do I *need* to make a video showing that the pedals work fine when connected to the G25 wheel, in order to prove they're *not* working with the GT2?

Anyone have a pinout of how the adapter cable is supposed to work? Seems like the easiest component to repair/replace. I have a multimeter, and can do continuity testing, but would need to know how it's *supposed* to be wired...

Guess I was fooling myself, thinking the G25 pedals would save me some grief...

Anyhoo... Looking for some helpful input while I contact FANATEC support...

_Dave_

Well, I found a wiring diagram for the adapter cable here and was able to confirm that my adapter is fine. Yay/Boo! I guess that means there's a problem inside my GT2...

Has anyone who had this problem gotten it fixed - other than to get a replacement wheel or to suck it up and buy the Clubsport pedals?

_Dave_

am0eba
Well, I found a wiring diagram for the adapter cable here and was able to confirm that my adapter is fine. Yay/Boo! I guess that means there's a problem inside my GT2...

Has anyone who had this problem gotten it fixed - other than to get a replacement wheel or to suck it up and buy the Clubsport pedals?

_Dave_

Dave, I'm expriencing the exact same thing with my GT3RSv2, although my wheel does not regonize the ClubSport pedals when connected to it. Using them on USB is fine (and they're AWESOME btw) but can't get them to work when plugged to the wheel. Will try reinstalling firmware to see if it helps.

Upon finding the pinout for the GT2 pedal input, I decided to see if the 5V was coming through... I put the multimeter across pins 3 & 4 of the socket, and no joy! For comparison, I dug up a pinout for the shifter socket input, and found that pins 3 & 4 on that one should indicate 3.3V and sure enough, it was there.... Looks like the circuit behind the pedal socket on the GT2 wheel is no good. Anyone have a suggestion for providing the 5V to the G25 pedals from somewhere else?

_Dave_

/\ sorry to hear about your wheel am0eba :(. I opted to get just the GT2 wheel by itself too and just use it with my G25 pedals. My G25 pedals "kind of" worked, couldn't get 100% brake or throttle input, wasn't smooth either, brake would get stuck on too lol. It did this on PS3 only tried it with GT5 and F1 2010. It did however appear to work just fine with xbox360 and forza 3?

Decided to get the clubsport pedals which arrived today:dopey: (arrived in 6 business days US-Canada). Unboxed them hard mounted them plugged them in and everything works 100% beautifully.

I would highly recommend to anyone getting the clubsports instead using old G25/27.

_Dave_
Had the same issue. Than I've bought a CSP, but the vibration motor on the CSP didn't worked when I've connected the CSP to the wheel. Now the hall stuff is on it's way back to Fanatec for repair. I hope you'll have better luck 👍

I seriously think the GT2 has a problem when connecting to G series pedals.

My CSP work fine but my G27 have difficulty binding.

So, I downgraded my firmware from 681 to 678, and then back to 681. The pedals did not work in neither cases. I'll contact Fanatec to replace my wheels + pedals, because I can't determine which is actually failing, the PS/2 port on the wheel or the pedals. I don't have any other pedals to test this, do you guys think that with a simple +V <-> Gas or Brake or Clutch short circuit on the wheel terminal I'd be able to determine if the wheel is the issue?

So, I downgraded my firmware from 681 to 678, and then back to 681. The pedals did not work in neither cases. I'll contact Fanatec to replace my wheels + pedals, because I can't determine which is actually failing, the PS/2 port on the wheel or the pedals. I don't have any other pedals to test this, do you guys think that with a simple +V <-> Gas or Brake or Clutch short circuit on the wheel terminal I'd be able to determine if the wheel is the issue?
I had a long conversation with support, but they couldn't indentify where is the problem (it is not easy to determine and solve a problem of emails), in my GT2 or my CSP. They offered me to send back the products, and they'll see where the problem is. I offer you to tell everything for support, maybe you don't have to send it back. They'll help you, there are great guys at Fanatec Support 👍 I had many problems, but they were patient and helpful even if I was a bit upset. good luck

Last edited:
... do you guys think that with a simple +V <-> Gas or Brake or Clutch short circuit on the wheel terminal I'd be able to determine if the wheel is the issue?

I would NOT attempt any such test, unless you are familiar with electronics "hygiene", and really know what you're doing.

I have just enough knowledge to get myself into trouble, but still am extra cautious about this sort of thing. The "test" you describe doesn't sound particularly safe or likely to provide the info you need...

By the way, I contacted Endor USA (via the email address provided in my order confirmation), and they apparently forwarded it to e-support@fanatec.com, because overnight I received the notorious email form letter which asks for serial number, and a pdf of the invoice, and a video of the problem, etc. Oh well...

Hopefully things will be handled quickly once I comply with the detailed requirements... The email does mention that providing a video can allow them to send a replacement without waiting for me to ship mine back to them first...

_Dave_

I would NOT attempt any such test, unless you are familiar with electronics "hygiene", and really know what you're doing.

I have just enough knowledge to get myself into trouble, but still am extra cautious about this sort of thing. The "test" you describe doesn't sound particularly safe or likely to provide the info you need...

By the way, I contacted Endor USA (via the email address provided in my order confirmation), and they apparently forwarded it to e-support@fanatec.com, because overnight I received the notorious email form letter which asks for serial number, and a pdf of the invoice, and a video of the problem, etc. Oh well...

Hopefully things will be handled quickly once I comply with the detailed requirements... The email does mention that providing a video can allow them to send a replacement without waiting for me to ship mine back to them first...

_Dave_

Dave, I have electronics background (I'm a Electronics & Telecommunications Engineer), and by looking at the wiring diagram you posted, I'd say this test should be safe, but you're right, it's probably better for me to focus on my replacement, provided that I have only ~2 weeks in the USA before going back to Brazil. I filmed the issue already and I will contact them asap.

UPDATE:

Well, FANATEC support responded, suggesting that I try using the short shifter cable to connect my pedals via the adapter cable to the GT2...

I didn't buy the FANATEC shifter, so I don't have the short shifter cable. Not too helpful...

In the meantime, while waiting for a response from FANATEC support, I decided to drill the mounting holes in my Playseat Evo for the GT2. After mounting the GT2 securely onto the stand, I decided to check the pedal input socket again, just for laughs. I hooked up my multimeter to the right pins, and the 5V was back - Hooray! I hooked up the pedals, fired up the PS3 and Gran Tursismo 5, and everything worked!

I started wondering if I had somehow managed to make an enormous blunder during all of my previous testing, and then suddenly - during a single-player race, I lost functionality again after slightly bumping the pedal adapter cable with my knee. Hm. Seems like the same problem I had before, but now I could "fix" it by positioning the cable more securely on the wheel stand.

I've been enjoying the way the GT2 wheel feels and operates, but every so often, I get the intermittent failure, and have to re-position the cable from the pedals...

I've informed FANATEC of all of this, and am awaiting a further response.

Is this the beginning of a love/hate relationship?

_Dave_

PS: I'm guessing that by securing the wheel to the stand, something inside the wheel got flexed into working condition - the right-hand side bolt hole is located immediately below the socket for the pedals, and it seems too coincidental that things just magically started working after this...

Looks lke I'm not the only one with pedal problems, except I'm the one to blame for mine. Plus I have Clubsports.

My problem though is my load cell, when I inverted them, I made extra sure not to touch any wires that I didn't need to, but right now my brake won't work? I have some very blurry pictures.

I've just get back my GT2 and my CSP from Fanatec. I've sent them back for repair last monday. They repaired it in 1 day, and sent back for me.

I had problem with the ABS vibra motor and the throttle pedal deadzone.
They told me there was a 911 Carrera firmware on my GT2 (really don't know how is it possible.., but it doesn't count any more), that is why it didn't want to work well when I plugged the CSP to the wheel. After they changed the firmware, it works perfectly now. 👍

I replaced my load cell on my CSP 3 months ago. It's hard to describe the steps, I'm sure there's a video in youtube that demonstrates it.

UPDATE 2:

Tonight I was using the GT2 and G25 pedals with GT5. Was able to race for about an hour, then suddenly, in mid-race, no pedal functionality! I spent about another hour trying to get it working again without success.

I still haven't heard anything back from Fanatec, so I sent another email to remind them of my "intermittent" (Now seems permanent) problem. Not very happy.

_Dave_

I am nervous now. I was getting ready to order the GT2 next week sometime, with the standard pedals. Then either save up for club sport or grab a G series.

Now I am thinking I might just wait. I cant stand customer support that isnt top notch.

UPDATE 3:
Heard back from Fanatec. They're going to send me a new pedal adapter cable and "pedal cable"... (?) They asked for my shipping address, which was already in the email chain that they insist be included in every communication... sigh.

_Dave_

I am nervous now. I was getting ready to order the GT2 next week sometime, with the standard pedals. Then either save up for club sport or grab a G series.

Now I am thinking I might just wait. I cant stand customer support that isnt top notch.

Well your probably better holding off if you can. When the CSR comes out, they may drop the price of the GT2. Even if they don't you would have at least saved some money to grab some Clubsports.

am0eba
UPDATE 3:
Heard back from Fanatec. They're going to send me a new pedal adapter cable and "pedal cable"... (?) They asked for my shipping address, which was already in the email chain that they insist be included in every communication... sigh.

_Dave_

Hmm I really hope it works for you. However your GT2 wheel seems the same as mine.

They sent me a new adapter but my problem remained.

Try feathering the throttle and clutch pedals simultaneously. You should get random spikes in both throttle and clutch.

It may fire up and work fine after awhile or it might not. Somedays your pedals will work fine other times not.

When the pedals have finally bonded they will work flawlessly until you power off.

I only used my G27 pedals whilst my CSP were on the blink. My CSP are now fine and all is ok. Unless I ever need to use my G27 pedals again.

I fear the both you and I need a new wheel as the problem lies within the wheel not the adapter.

Anyway fingers crossed that it is an adapter issue but don't count on it.

I kick myself every day over neglecting to do thorough research on the Carrera wheel and pedals I bought. I regret purchasing them every day and wish I'd stayed with my Driving Force GT, allowing me to put money back towards a G27.

I paid $160 for a product that ceased to operate correctly within two months because of a flawed design. Furthermore, the replacements sent by Fanatec that had been "redesigned" failed within 4 days. The most disgusting part about all of that is how little the pedals were used during those two periods of time.

I owned a perfectly functional $110 Logitech Driving Force GT wheel for well over a year before moving on to this turd. That wheel was used for an average of 5-7 hours a day for about 6 months straight during my time owning a PS3 and Gran Turismo 5. Simply put, I played the crap out of that thing and never had a failure, electrical or mechanical. When I made the move back to the PC, I decided to sell the DFGT and purchase the Carrera wheel - hindsight being 20/20, I realize how bad that decision was. My Dad has had the same crappy black plastic MOMO wheel (you know, the one that was supposed to be of "inferior quality" according to the rants of the gaming community) for nearly 6 and half years. Sure, the thing shows some signs of use, such as scratches on the wheel surface and small pieces broken off the very edges pedals (he's crazy hard on those things). Again, everything is still working as it should though.

I waited nearly three days to get a response from support on this latest pedal issue, and when I did it was nothing more than "if you have a shifter, please try the cable from that device." I promptly plugged in the pedals and gave it a shot, only to get the same problem as I did with the original cable. Knowing that their customer support reps would be there for another hour or so, I quickly replied. It's been over an hour without a repsonse, and support is now closed. I guess I will be waiting another day - maybe two - to hear what lame instructions I will be given next. Perhaps the delay is because they are too busy responding to the hundreds of other support issues I'm sure they're getting daily (their quality control issues extend well beyond that of the standard pedal issue). Or perhaps they just enjoy making paying customers wait. Top this off with a half-a** attempt at customer service like offering a $50 "discount" on the ridiculous price of the Club Sport pedals (which suffer from their fair share of issues as well, based on additional research), and there's no wonder why I get a huge pit in my stomach every time I think of how much I spent on this product.

I attempted to repair the first set of defective pedals using epoxy (JB Weld) after I was given permission from Fanatec ("do whatever you'd like with them, except sell them"). They worked for a few days and have since stopped reading correctly (slipping brake and throttle), meaning I will have no pedals until Fanatec decides send me yet another set of pedals (that will probably fail in 4 days like the last set). So rather than enjoying my racing games, which is what I bought this stupid wheel for in the first place, I have no pedals to use and will be sitting here playing Solitaire and watching YouTube videos on my brand new computer, which sits near my non-functional brand new piece of crap Fanatec wheel.

As I mentioned in another post on GT Planet, hopefully someone "official" from Fanatec will take notice of this post. I do not want another pedal set. I do not want a discounted price on Club Sports. I do not want this wheel any longer. I want a full refund.

I kick myself every day over neglecting to do thorough research on the Carrera wheel and pedals I bought. I regret purchasing them every day and wish I'd stayed with my Driving Force GT, allowing me to put money back towards a G27.

I paid $160 for a product that ceased to operate correctly within two months because of a flawed design. Furthermore, the replacements sent by Fanatec that had been "redesigned" failed within 4 days. The most disgusting part about all of that is how little the pedals were used during those two periods of time.

I owned a perfectly functional $110 Logitech Driving Force GT wheel for well over a year before moving on to this turd. That wheel was used for an average of 5-7 hours a day for about 6 months straight during my time owning a PS3 and Gran Turismo 5. Simply put, I played the crap out of that thing and never had a failure, electrical or mechanical. When I made the move back to the PC, I decided to sell the DFGT and purchase the Carrera wheel - hindsight being 20/20, I realize how bad that decision was. My Dad has had the same crappy black plastic MOMO wheel (you know, the one that was supposed to be of "inferior quality" according to the rants of the gaming community) for nearly 6 and half years. Sure, the thing shows some signs of use, such as scratches on the wheel surface and small pieces broken off the very edges pedals (he's crazy hard on those things). Again, everything is still working as it should though.

I waited nearly three days to get a response from support on this latest pedal issue, and when I did it was nothing more than "if you have a shifter, please try the cable from that device." I promptly plugged in the pedals and gave it a shot, only to get the same problem as I did with the original cable. Knowing that their customer support reps would be there for another hour or so, I quickly replied. It's been over an hour without a repsonse, and support is now closed. I guess I will be waiting another day - maybe two - to hear what lame instructions I will be given next. Perhaps the delay is because they are too busy responding to the hundreds of other support issues I'm sure they're getting daily (their quality control issues extend well beyond that of the standard pedal issue). Or perhaps they just enjoy making paying customers wait. Top this off with a half-a** attempt at customer service like offering a $50 "discount" on the ridiculous price of the Club Sport pedals (which suffer from their fair share of issues as well, based on additional research), and there's no wonder why I get a huge pit in my stomach every time I think of how much I spent on this product.

I attempted to repair the first set of defective pedals using epoxy (JB Weld) after I was given permission from Fanatec ("do whatever you'd like with them, except sell them"). They worked for a few days and have since stopped reading correctly (slipping brake and throttle), meaning I will have no pedals until Fanatec decides send me yet another set of pedals (that will probably fail in 4 days like the last set). So rather than enjoying my racing games, which is what I bought this stupid wheel for in the first place, I have no pedals to use and will be sitting here playing Solitaire and watching YouTube videos on my brand new computer, which sits near my non-functional brand new piece of crap Fanatec wheel.

As I mentioned in another post on GT Planet, hopefully someone "official" from Fanatec will take notice of this post. I do not want another pedal set. I do not want a discounted price on Club Sports. I do not want this wheel any longer. I want a full refund.

Don't beat yourself up. You had no way to know of these problems before you sold the Driving Force GT. No piece of electronics is perfect, particularly at this price point.

Don't beat yourself up. You had no way to know of these problems before you sold the Driving Force GT. No piece of electronics is perfect, particularly at this price point.

It makes it more infuriating when thinking how long the DFGT lasted - it cost much less than the Carrera wheel.

My only real problem with the Fanatec wheel at this point is the quality of the product itself. A quick Google search could have brought some of this stuff to my attention before purchasing.

Pessimistically speaking, a full refund with paid shipping is likely not going to happen, so I am left with the option of keep the wheel and receiving a new set of pedals every few weeks because of failures, upgrading to the CSPs and hoping they don't fail on me too, or selling everything for much less than I paid.

If I trusted Fanatec, I'd be fine with keeping everything going forward, but unfortunately, I do not.

I'm hoping that their new focus on customer service, combined with the high-visibility of being the "official" Forza 4 wheel, will help them improve quality-control and responsiveness... I was pleased to hear that Darren Gangi of Inside Sim Racing would be joining their US customer support team, and that they are working on improving the website. So far, I haven't seen much to make me feel more comfortable about *my* situation... Just received an email confirming that my "order is shipping now", which means the replacement cable/adapter will prolly get here next week...

Meanwhile, I think I'll build my own adapter cable, and see if that works!

I've almost had my GT2 for two weeks! I've been able to use it for about 4 days of that period.

_Dave_

From what I've heard the customer service has improved over the years. That's great, but the quality control needs to bump up a few hundred notches as well...

Finally received my replacement G25 adapter from Fanatec today... Didn't fix the problem. Getting a little ticked off at the lackadaisical customer service... It was a week ago that Fanatec suggested sending a replacement adapter. Even though I didn't expect it to fix the problem, I agreed. the UPS record indicates that they didn't even ship it until late last night. UPS got it here right away (I'm practically in Endor US's back yard)...

Now another interminable wait while Fanatec decides how to respond. It may sound like I'm whining, but I've had my GT2 wheel for two weeks now, and was only able to use it for a total of about 4 hours - due to malfunction! Now it seems as though they are too busy promoting their new F1 wheels and official Forza wheels to be bothered with satisfying the current customer base...

_Dave_

Sorry to hear that Dave.
I do think there is a generic fault with this particular issue.

Hard to get feedback when the majority of the wheels won't be used with a G25/27 pedal set.

As I have said before I have the same problem as you but my CSP work fine.

I do wonder if I tried the standard Fanatec pedals would the problem arise then?

Good luck mate. I think you need a new wheel unfortunately.

Sounds like a bad pedal socket/solder joint. Fanatec could easily fix it at their shop, assuming that would be cost effective vis a vis replacement. Either way they need to fix you all up.

Scotty

scoddee
Sounds like a bad pedal socket/solder joint. Fanatec could easily fix it at their shop, assuming that would be cost effective vis a vis replacement. Either way they need to fix you all up.

Scotty

I've thought that.
My CSP using the same socket are flawless however.

Potentiometers vs Hall effect sensors and load cell.

That's why I wondered if a set of budget Fanatec peddles would give me problems.
Potentiometers again see.

Back