Any of you dumped PD's GT for good? I need a bit of a push...

• Thread starter Fat Tyre
  • 134 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just being able to paint your cars any colour you like without having to go searching through all the dealerships to find that one particular colour is enough for me.
A classic example of not being able to enjoy the cars the way you would like to. I love that GT takes color reproduction to heart, but they did it in the worst way imaginable.

A classic example of not being able to enjoy the cars the way you would like to. I love that GT takes color reproduction to heart, but they did it in the worst way imaginable.

When I have to go and buy a Golf just so that I can paint my Bora the same colour as it is in real life, they've done something wrong.

I can understand overlooking my colour in the purchasable factory colours, it's a weird metallic green and I've never seen another one the same colour (it is a factory colour though). But to have to buy another car that I don't want just to get the colour I need is silly.

If the colour shop had a colour wheel AND all the exact colours of every car in the game selectable, I would praise them for having the greatest colour selection system in the world. That would be freaking brilliant.

Well yes. If pigs would fly and PD would actually deliver a whole new GT experience on PS4 i might have reconsidered, but with Sony following MS with the whole wheel scam i won't be getting a PS4 to play racing games.

So the probability of me returning to the GT series has fallen from 'not likely' to near impossible.

If the colour shop had a colour wheel AND all the exact colours of every car in the game selectable, I would praise them for having the greatest colour selection system in the world. That would be freaking brilliant.
In Forza, the paint shop offers the car's factory colors under a subcategory (to the right of "pearlescent"). You can then edit that color to determine the HSL values, which in effect gives you the ability to replicate any factory color in the game. You would have to buy a car to get the values, though.

I know FM4 and FH1 work this way; someone else could confirm if FM5 is the same. I occasionally use this to take a factory gloss color and convert it to the same color in metallic paint, too.

You might already know this, but I thought I'd point it out as an FYI to @Fat Tyre and anyone else.

In Forza, the paint shop offers the car's factory colors under a subcategory (to the right of "pearlescent"). You can then edit that color to determine the HSL values, which in effect gives you the ability to replicate any factory color in the game. You would have to buy a car to get the values, though.

I know FM4 and FH1 work this way; someone else could confirm if FM5 is the same. I occasionally use this to take a factory gloss color and convert it to the same color in metallic paint, too.

You might already know this, but I thought I'd point it out as an FYI to @Fat Tyre and anyone else.

If I'm not mistaking I don't think you can get factory HSL values in FM5.

Edit: I just got onto FM5 to double check and unfortunately we can't get factory HSL values like you could on previous FM series.

Last edited:
What if you select that colour and then go back in? The first colour it lands on is the current one?

Any of you dumped PD's GT for good? I need a bit of a push...

I wouldn't say "for good." I don't hate Gran Turismo. It just isn't very good. There's just too much that PD is doing wrong and the fanboys faithfully defending their missteps haven't been helping. I don't mind playing GT, but I don't feel compelled to do so. I still haven't got around to GT6, not that I have absolutely no interest but because I just don't have enough desire to do so. I've been playing FM5 since November and pre-ordered Horizon 2, both of which I'd rather play over GT6.

Maybe, just maybe, PD will straighten out their franchise, but it will take acknowledging that they're making big mistakes and it will take ignoring the praises sung by their fanboys. If it happens, we already know it won't happen with GT7 because they already confirmed that outdated car models are returning, and that's just not satisfactory. If GT8 rolls along and it turns out that PD have got their act together, I'd be interested in picking up GT again, but I'm not picking up a turd. Turds are all PD have been dropping lately.

Turds are all PD have been dropping lately.
The trouble is that (GT5 to GT6 notwithstanding) they're taking a long time on the pot between dumps. At least if T10 turn out a relative stinker there'll be another game released in a couple of years. If the gestation period of Gran Turismo goes up much further it'll be one game per console generation. I'm not sure whether they're as good at adding to the game via DLC as T10/Playground either.

VXR
What if you select that colour and then go back in? The first colour it lands on is the current one?

You mean select a color from manufacture "A" then go back in with a car from manufacture "B"? If this is the case no it doesn't work that way either.

Sorry, just select it with car a and then go back in to paint car a. Can you not edit the values for the currently selected colour at the left of the palette?

I'd be interested in picking up GT again, but I'm not picking up a turd. Turds are all PD have been dropping lately.
The trouble is that (GT5 to GT6 notwithstanding) they're taking a long time on the pot between dumps. At least if T10 turn out a relative stinker there'll be another game released in a couple of years
Pure poetry :D

VXR
Sorry, just select it with car a and then go back in to paint car a. Can you not edit the values for the currently selected colour at the left of the palette?

No worries, unfortunately you can only edit the values of non-factory colors.

When I have to go and buy a Golf just so that I can paint my Bora the same colour as it is in real life, they've done something wrong.

I can understand overlooking my colour in the purchasable factory colours, it's a weird metallic green and I've never seen another one the same colour (it is a factory colour though). But to have to buy another car that I don't want just to get the colour I need is silly.

Sometimes they only add colors from the year the car in the game is actually from, and colors often change from one model year to the next.

I wouldn't say "for good." I don't hate Gran Turismo. It just isn't very good. There's just too much that PD is doing wrong and the fanboys faithfully defending their missteps haven't been helping. I don't mind playing GT, but I don't feel compelled to do so. I still haven't got around to GT6, not that I have absolutely no interest but because I just don't have enough desire to do so. I've been playing FM5 since November and pre-ordered Horizon 2, both of which I'd rather play over GT6.

Maybe, just maybe, PD will straighten out their franchise, but it will take acknowledging that they're making big mistakes and it will take ignoring the praises sung by their fanboys. If it happens, we already know it won't happen with GT7 because they already confirmed that outdated car models are returning, and that's just not satisfactory. If GT8 rolls along and it turns out that PD have got their act together, I'd be interested in picking up GT again, but I'm not picking up a turd. Turds are all PD have been dropping lately.
Please tell me this is a joke. Are they seriously going to use assets/models that originally date back 2 console generations now for the next title? I don't think I've ever heard of a developer doing that and I doubt a PS4's power can make those cars look any prettier.

I bought a PS2 primarily in turn to enjoy GT3 after the first 2. I ended up with a PS3 to have some fun with GT5, & I admittedly got my time and money out of it despite things like the sounds & standards. If they really plan to use models that come from GT3/GT4, not a chance in hell my old trend will continue.

Please tell me this is a joke. Are they seriously going to use assets/models that originally date back 2 console generations now for the next title? I don't think I've ever heard of a developer doing that and I doubt a PS4's power can make those cars look any prettier.

I bought a PS2 primarily in turn to enjoy GT3 after the first 2. I ended up with a PS3 to have some fun with GT5, & I admittedly got my time and money out of it despite things like the sounds & standards. If they really plan to use models that come from GT3/GT4, not a chance in hell my old trend will continue.

Hey sorry but it is not a joke, PS2 cars are staying.

I was laughing and crying at the same time, laughing becuase it's so pathetic, and crying because it's so sad. And it's sad because I thought I was going to buy GT7. Now I just don't know anymore...

-Sonny
Come on man, get excited here, we're gonna have 1400 cars here, who cares if 60% of them are from year 2000, and the tracks man, the tracks, oh I can't wait to play unchanged Deep Forest, Trial Mountain and Laguna Seca in glorious 4k resolution, oh and don't forget Cape Ring.

I was laughing and crying at the same time, laughing becuase it's so pathetic, and crying because it's so sad. And it's sad because I thought I was going to buy GT7. Now I just don't know anymore...

-Sonny

Same happened to me... Are you going to get Forza or play on PC?

Sometimes they only add colors from the year the car in the game is actually from, and colors often change from one model year to the next.

It's true, and my complaint was less about the fact that they didn't have the right colour, which is understandable and really not a problem, and more about the hoops that I had to jump through in order to get something approximating the right colour, which was not.

For example, I had the same problem in FM4, they didn't have the right colour Bora either. So I went to the paint shop and painted it. No problemo. It sucks, but this stuff happens and it was easily rectified. Time to fix problem, about thirty seconds.

In GT6 I had to find a car with the right colour, buy it, and then go to the paint shop and paint it. In no way does that chain of events add value to the gaming experience, it just wasted ten minutes of my time that I could have spent driving.

It's great that GT6 lets you get exact manufacturer colours, but it cannot be at the expense of a simple and convenient colour system. I will take a simple colour system that doesn't make me want to throttle the cat over GT6's arcane and convoluted...thing.

If I was allowed to import any of GT's tracks over to Forza I'd have the following

Trial Mountain
High Speed Ring
Special Stage Route 11
Seattle
Rome (GT2 version)
Midfield Raceway
Tokyo R246

There's probably more but these are the ones that spring to mind for now.

I do miss driving on these tracks.

But can't have it all I guess.

High Speed Ring

Original version or GT5/6 version? I liked it when the middle "chicane" was banked and there was one fast line through it with very little room for error. It made what was superficially a simplistic track extremely technical.

Original version or GT5/6 version? I liked it when the middle "chicane" was banked and there was one fast line through it with very little room for error. It made what was superficially a simplistic track extremely technical.

Be happy with either version truth be told, Though I guess the Original would be my personal favourite.

I have ditched both to be honest. Nice cars, pretty graphics, Stale format, boring 'racing' if you can even call it that. Other games have been way ahead on the track for at least 7 years now and I'm bored playing pokemon. Maybe a car lovers dream but they make for some pretty dull racers.

Wasted potential is all I see now a days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back