Any questions to Taku Imasaki? UPDATE: questions answered

• Thread starter ron86
  • 355 comments
Unbelievable. That really bums me out. We knew what he would likely say for the first two questions, but I was very interested in this one. It extends the game with PD barely having to lift a finger.

All I really wanted was a confirmation of if they were planning this for GT6 or not. I wasn't looking for a release date or feature list/promises. This is pretty disappointing, though sadly not at all surprising. :rolleyes::banghead::ouch:

I wish we had used a question on community interaction/outreach but we likely would have gotten a canned "we are always interested in connecting with our fans" type 🤬 response.

Oh well. Thanks for trying @ron86. 👍

i'm still :eek: with an answer about online when the question was about offline, couldnt he just say "NO". would be better than just ignore us. and my problem is not that their making online better, i'm very happy with that, but this answer... :eek:

People say here that the question about the sounds was wasted, because you could already expect a vague "we are aware of it and looking into it" answer.

What's to say he wouldn't have been equally vague for other questions?
I stand by my point that you just can't stalk them enough with questions about the sounds, as they are THAT bad...

Nice that Taku bothers to answer though, even if he can't say much 👍

I think they were excellent questions and the answers are very clarifying.

My view is that the GT team is trying to force delivering authentic sound thru the playstation console, whereas usually game developers would simplify or filter to make the sound 'game-friendly'.
--》 means "our sounds are always going to be underwhelming"

This one is difficult to answer
--》 means "we're never going to deliver a livery editor"

understand that Kazunori & team Polyphony has a very specific level of technology/visual quality standard that they stick to
--》"standards are good enough"

they don't want to sacrifice it by giving too much freedom in the players hands
--》"we deliberately use paint chips, to make painting as hard as we can"

they are very aware that level of customization always comes top on the list in fans' requests
--》 "but that won't make us change our mind"

as they work on optimizing the code and as the hardware gets updated, you will see improvements in this area as well
--》 "I just said the problem is not the hardware, it's the level of freedom we want to give the player, so actually I'm just bull****ting you, as there will never be a livery editor"

Much more updates to come over the next weeks/months for GT6, with regards to the online community feature updates!

--》"there will be no new features other than some community features till at least May"
Didn't know we would go from terrible questions to terrible jokes that fast. Then again, pretty much every thread here does. Here's a fun question for Taku that would sum up the nonsense in this thread:

Hurr duur pd sucksuckz soundcleaner pd vacum editor loloulzlazy?

I can tell you the answer already; get out of the GT board and go somewhere else. Anywhere else - Forza or not. I really am wondering what you are doing here when you hate the game this much.

Thanks @ron86:bowdown:

At least someone tried asking the questions the community wanted to know even if they were the vague, PR type answers we knew we'd probably get.

Still better than others who seemingly get star struck and can't remove their nose from a part of Kaz's anatomy!

I know what we should have asked

I know Kaz sits at his wheel everytime a camera is in sight but does anyone at PD truthfully really play the game and if so how do they miss these glaringly obvious bugs/issues?

As for some people saying the sound question was a waste and shouldn't be asked:

Are you for real?
Its the communities biggest gripe and the longest running.
PD should be asked it every single interview and Kaz should be forced to listen to the Z4 GT3 & FXX until his ears bleed and he finally gives us a bloody answer or does something about it!

Last edited:
Eeeh, Striking the whole thing, has I think I mixed up which awnser went with what question..:embarrassed:

Interesting. :irked:

I can't have an event creator because I will upset some kind of balance in the GT universe or something...? :scared:

I mean, it sure sounds like PD is trying to tell me that by matching up their slow AI with superior cars (so that they actually have a chance), on a track of my choice, for the number of laps that I want, with the start type I prefer, I will ruin the "balance" of the game. :odd:

So am I too take it that insultingly slow, dumb, rubber banding AI is intentional, and that taking away from my experience is something PD has been trying to perfect over all these years? Am I supposed to now understand that the goal of GT single player is not to have fun, but rather to mindlessly chase the rabbit repeatedly, in the same limited number of events, over, and over, and over until I'm dead? :yuck:

Ummm, I'm sorry PD, but unless you care to explain exactly what this "balance" is that you speak of, and how it would be effected negatively, I fail to see the sense in that answer. What I see in that answer, to me, reads more like: "We just can't deal with the idea of allowing players to be able to greatly increase the longevity and personal enjoyment of our game, when it comes at the expense of our ability to micromanage every little aspect of our software. Even when that micromanaging has at times shown to have a measurably negative effect on the "fun factor" and longevity of the single player portion of our game." :banghead:

Ok. Tell you what PD. If you don't want me to be able to create my own events, fine, I'll trade you. Give me a PS4 GT, with a career mode that contains all the career events from GT1 thru 6, and the AI from any one of the first 4 games, and I'll never ask for an event creator again. :sly:

(I will still keep asking for better AI however.:P)

Last edited:
Wasted opportunity. Good answers, bad questions chosen.

Sounds have been beaten to death. Custom liveries are not a part of Kaz's vision. An offline single race creator is a sorely missing feature, especially for those that play mostly or exclusively offline.

At the bare minimum, we should have the same arcade mode features in GT6 as were present in GT5. Is PD at least going to put those back in? Hard to say because it is so hard to get a straight answer out of them! I'm not even touching custom championships at this point - just a nice "quick race" (offline) feature would be really awesome at this point.

/endrant

Last edited:
And yet he thought it was important enough to include it in one of his past presentations...

I was being a bit tongue in cheek there. I think it was fair to ask about more customization honestly. I don't think GT will ever let you just draw whatever you want and slap it on a car, if that's what people want. I could imagine seeing something like 2-tone and pattern/stripe vinyls ala NFS in the future (especially once GT gets to the PS4 where it will no longer be hampered by PD's favorite excuse - the dreaded hardware limitations).

I was being a bit tongue in cheek there. I think it was fair to ask about more customization honestly. I don't think GT will ever let you just draw whatever you want and slap it on a car, if that's what people want. I could imagine seeing something like 2-tone and pattern/stripe vinyls ala NFS in the future (especially once GT gets to the PS4 where it will no longer be hampered by PD's favorite excuse - the dreaded hardware limitations).
I think any question we gave him would come back with an answer that we wouldn't like.

I think any question we gave him would come back with an answer that we wouldn't like.

You're probably right. However, if he had said something even as vague as "we fully intend to upgrade arcade mode to let players create the race of their dreams" I would be on cloud 9 at this point.

You're probably right. However, if he had said something even as vague as "we fully intend to upgrade arcade mode to let players create the race of their dreams" I would be on cloud 9 at this point.
I think the answer to the customization question tells you EXACTLY where PD's head is at overall. Balance and priority. Sounds like they have to balance the interests of the manufacturers as well as the fans. They have to balance the quality of the cars with the quality of the physics with the quality of the tracks and career mode given, the limitations of the console. Time constraints. I would have to say they do a pretty good job overall considering everything they HAVE to take into account.

Thanks for the Questions :cheers:

I'll bite regarding Console limitations when it comes to sound and a Livery Editor, Atleast that "Excuse" will no longer be used for GT7.

Answer to the sound questions agrees with @Griffith500 Theory that PD are limited by the hardware.

Thanks @ron86:bowdown:

At least someone tried asking the questions the community wanted to know even if they were the vague, PR type answers we knew we'd probably get.

Still better than others who seemingly get star struck and can't remove their nose from a part of Kaz's anatomy!

I know what we should have asked

I know Kaz sits at his wheel everytime a camera is in sight but does anyone at PD truthfully really play the game and if so how do they miss these glaringly obvious bugs/issues?

As for some people saying the sound question was a waste and shouldn't be asked:

Are you for real?
Its the communities biggest gripe and the longest running.
PD should be asked it every single interview and Kaz should be forced to listen to the Z4 GT3 & FXX until his ears bleed and he finally gives us a bloody answer or does something about it!
I think they are considering the sound question a waist because it's the easiest to placate as they fielded answers to it a few times in the past.

But what's worth noting is that they do acknowledge it and something is intended to be done about it... There are only a few ways to approach it... But anything is better than what we have now.

But, considering GT 7 will have so much more resources I wouldn't assume they will do much for GT 6... It doesn't make budget sense to do it twice unless they simply degrade core samples for ps 6...

I'll bite regarding Console limitations when it comes to sound and a Livery Editor, Atleast that "Excuse" will no longer be used for GT7.

Unfortunately it probably will because they'll push GT7 beyond what the PS4 can handle, probably 240fps and accurate modeling of every blade of grass at every track. They aimed way too high with GT5 and GT6 and both games suffered because of it, no reason to think that trend won't continue.

get out of the GT board and go somewhere else. Anywhere else - Forza or not. I really am wondering what you are doing here when you hate the game this much.
I'm adding free content to gtplanet. Can't believe some people keep whining and complaining about it when it's FREE! If you don't like what I post, just be patient, I'm working on it.

Thanks for the Questions :cheers:

Answer to the sound questions agrees with @Griffith500 Theory that PD are limited by the hardware.

You're right, that was technically only tentative, still. I guess I was so convinced it was the case (for a while now) that I forgot! Good catch. 👍

So it's not a content issue (1200 cars), it's a performance issue (optimisations; 1337 hax madskillz etc. also, maybe).

YZF
As if they'll tell you the details.....yeah right...

"Kazunori & team are putting effort in this and you will certainly see changes in the future."

The answer which was totally expected. Question wasted.....

PD shared details on how they modelled cars and tracks and how they simulate vehicle kinematics, why would this be any different?

"but please understand that Kazunori & team Polyphony has a very specific level of technology/visual quality standard that they stick to, and they don't want to sacrifice it by giving too much freedom in the players hands."

What freedom? This is exactly what we need...

Can you keep bugging taku and ask if you can do one of these 3q's thing around updates or dlc time?
They could do contests in photomode/shop and select and include, the winners. Paint chip named after the winner and whatnot.
not that i care, i only see the outside of the car at the garage or dealership...

Unfortunately it probably will because they'll push GT7 beyond what the PS4 can handle, probably 240fps and accurate modeling of every blade of grass at every track. They aimed way too high with GT5 and GT6 and both games suffered because of it, no reason to think that trend won't continue.

You make a serious point.

Seriously though, to me, it just seems Kaz has always been limited by technology AND time. I think for every console since the PS2, he overestimates them. He has all these visions, and never able to pull all of them off. For example, back when GT3 (GT 2000 interview) was about to release, he anticipated his game to have A.I. that reacts to your aggressive driving. Till this day, we still haven't seen that. He also mentioned weather/time of day, and whatnot which we haven't seen until GT5.

Just check out this interview and tell me how many of his "visions" came to reality for GT3 or GT4 for that matter?

...nearly none of them. (weather, time of day, online racing, online rankings, simplified damage, helmets, drag racing, etc.)

With the PS3, imagine how optimistic he might've been. For one he gets all crazy with Premiums all the way back in 2007. Till this day, DriveClub, a next generation game, uses about 250,000 polygons per car, which is a similar number to premiums in the PS3 generation of GT. Then we have the whole 1280X1080p in GT5. He just have to have it bumped up to 1440X1080p for GT6! Really?

If he wasn't limited to technology, resource and time, GT would be a monster by now.

Last edited:
If he wasn't limited to technology, resource and time, GT would be a monster by now.

my questions to Taku:

- livery editor, PD dont want to sacrifice quality giving players too much freedom. ok, now specify why would that sacrifice quality, it works for forza, is it because GT uses more of console power than forza? just explain it?
- sounds, sounds would never be like real life but why have PD never shared a demo video comparing recorded sounds with gt sounds? just let us ear and know for sure what authenticity means! same goes for phisics and car performance, just let us compare real car tests with ingame tests. just let us know for sure how close a simulator is to reality, how much simulator a simulator is.
- race creator for career mode, Taku just ignored the question and offliners, cant PD see the content/features are underused? its the problem of freedom again? just answer the original question and explain it.

I can tell you exactly what he really meant with the livery editor:

"We don't have the time or man power to police user created content, and we don't want to see penis cars"

That`s what everyone expected for answers ,stop whining :D :D

Soundwise ? Come on ,no one really expected to change 1200 car sounds :P . I dont know about sound samples ,their technick is not good and they know it , they just can`t change it now.Maybe with a fresh start (Gt7/PS4? )

Livery/custom wise , they dont want to sacrifice quality ? ok I can understand that.There was a time KAz didnt want damage
to the car models either.

relax and enjoy the game as is ,you are all missing the fun :)

Back