Any questions to Taku Imasaki? UPDATE: questions answered

• Thread starter ron86
  • 355 comments
Unfortunately it probably will because they'll push GT7 beyond what the PS4 can handle, probably 240fps and accurate modeling of every blade of grass at every track. They aimed way too high with GT5 and GT6 and both games suffered because of it, no reason to think that trend won't continue.

I see your point, but am hopeful due to the significant boost in Ram the way the sounds are portrayed by PD should atleast be more evident.

I really doubt we will have the same issues next gen, heres hoping.

Thanks for the Questions :cheers:

I'll bite regarding Console limitations when it comes to sound and a Livery Editor, Atleast that "Excuse" will no longer be used for GT7.

Answer to the sound questions agrees with @Griffith500 Theory that PD are limited by the hardware.

Pretty sure they'll still be limitations. Again we're talking a CONSOLE. Yes, superior to the PS3 4-8 times more ram, etc... BUT...it's not a desk top. Still won't have the same processing power. Kaz was quoted as saying the physics can never be perfect even with a super-computer. They will always have to balance the software to achieve an enjoyable game on a CONSOLE.

PD shared details on how they modelled cars and tracks and how they simulate vehicle kinematics, why would this be any different?

Because everyone knows how to model, and I have a book on kinematics from the 1960s. Sure, there are some exotic solver frameworks now, but I doubt GT6 is actually modeling each component separately anyway. And saying "we asked a suspension company to help us out" isn't really revelatory in terms of process, or data or the simulation itself. It's just for our benefit, so we know they've put the effort in the right place.

With sound, they have produced an entirely new model that no-one has seen before - why would they tell everyone how they did it? I'm sure we can just wait for the final result, or play with the teasers already in the game. We know they've done something, at least.

With sound, they have produced an entirely new model that no-one has seen before - why would they tell everyone how they did it? I'm sure we can just wait for the final result, or play with the teasers already in the game. We know they've done something, at least.

What makes you say that? We know nothing about what they are doing, all we know is "they are working on it". Revolutionary to GT perhaps, but every other developer has been producing descent sound effects for years.

If you believed pre-GT6 interviews, the AI and lighting models were supposedly being improved over GT5 but both leave plenty to be desired...

hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Interesting when he says "other developers make the sound game-friendly"....

He is right, for example sounds in forza MIGHT sound impressive, but in fact they are fake (overdone sounds, too loud)

Last edited:
What makes you say that? We know nothing about what they are doing, all we know is "they are working on it". Revolutionary to GT perhaps, but every other developer has been producing descent sound effects for years.

If you believed pre-GT6 interviews, the AI and lighting models were supposedly being improved over GT5 but both leave plenty to be desired...

Have you driven any of the Redbull X-cars in GT6? They're all using the new exhaust model.

Now, I'm speculating (based on some evidence, and inferences from my own experience), but I don't think those exhausts are tuned right - I think they're deliberately over-done. I think there are extra layers to come that will remove that "necessity".

The lighting definitely has been improved, overall. If you're referring to the interior shading issue, then yes, that's a problem. I think it's just a bug because the dials don't get the same shading the rest of the interior gets. The AI may well have been "improved", it's just they've tuned it to be slow and courteous again. Maybe B-Spec will show what they've done; and the possible "hardcore" mode may allow more competitive AI settings.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek there. I think it was fair to ask about more customization honestly. I don't think GT will ever let you just draw whatever you want and slap it on a car, if that's what people want. I could imagine seeing something like 2-tone and pattern/stripe vinyls ala NFS in the future (especially once GT gets to the PS4 where it will no longer be hampered by PD's favorite excuse - the dreaded hardware limitations).

I agree. Drawing a big 'organ' and two veg on your bonnet will never be allowed. But if we could get a little box to check/uncheck when painting our cars, to allow the same kind of hidden stripes found on the little Mazda's. That would make us all a little happier in the mean time.

I see your point, but am hopeful due to the significant boost in Ram the way the sounds are portrayed by PD should atleast be more evident.

I really doubt we will have the same issues next gen, heres hoping.
IMO the biggest issues with GT aren't the result of hardware limitation but the fact that the core game is terrible. Sub-par games like Grid and F1 have a career mode that makes you feel like you're in a championship. Practice, qualifying, races with your choice of length/damage/weather/difficulty. GT has all these great tracks and cars and their idea of racing is to go straight to a race and give you five laps to get from the back of the grid to the front. Until they change this format GT will be a joke of a "game" and no amount of bug fixes, audio improvements or livery editors will fix that.

Thank goodness for online racing.

hardware gets updated?
meaning we dont get it on ps3? please correct me if im wrong im a bit lost on this one.

That does indeed seem to be the implication. It's not the complexity of the interface, I don't think, more the quality possible when every inch of the car needs to have the same texture detail, which only the standards have. The premiums all use bespoke texturing, including decals, polygons used as textures and repeated logos etc., to get the level of quality they show.

Like @solidboss07 said, a simple decal application editor would be nice, and that might still be possible on PS3. There were hints for that before GT5 arrived, and there was supposed to be something said about "customisation" at TGS, but that event was a strange affair altogether.

hardware gets updated?
meaning we dont get it on ps3? please correct me if im wrong im a bit lost on this one.

That's basically just the long, fancy way of saying, "It will continue to improve in the future.", without committing to anything specific. It's vague on purpose. Doesn't mean that we will or won't for certain see something change on PS3, allthough any changes on the PS3 probably wont be the big sweeping changes many want and expect.

I really hope PD do not expend valuable resources on developing livery. I could not care less about livery. GT's developers should invest their time in improving other things related to the playing of the game (physics, graphics, framerate, sound, ai, tracks, weather).

Going hell-for-leather round a corner at 100mph, at the tyres' limit, is not made any more enjoyable because a car is covered in stickers.

Personlised number/licence plates are just fine!

hope not, because if so, he just ignored the question and ... us (offliners).
"Is there a possibilty of an "event creator" in a future update for the offline mode in Gt6?"

He sure did ignored us. The question was very clear.
If we ask again, we will get a same vague answer until they get tired and say "no".
He also said something about online, with a discrete message of: "Go online"
As I said in Arcade Mode topic, they made the arcade mode worse on purpose to make us get online. So, in the future, online mode will be a service, they would turn everything in a service. That would be better for them.
It seems they dont care about us.

Wasted opportunity. Good answers, bad questions chosen.

Can you really say that to the 3rd question?
The question was very clear, and he actually avoid it and dont answered it.

You're probably right. However, if he had said something even as vague as "we fully intend to upgrade arcade mode to let players create the race of their dreams" I would be on cloud 9 at this point.

Me too.

Wasted questions and bs answers.

A simple when is (specific coming) the fanbase is sick of waiting and moving on to other franchises, what do you have to say about that. Would be best next time.

Pretty sure they'll still be limitations. Again we're talking a CONSOLE. Yes, superior to the PS3 4-8 times more ram, etc... BUT...it's not a desk top. Still won't have the same processing power. Kaz was quoted as saying the physics can never be perfect even with a super-computer. They will always have to balance the software to achieve an enjoyable game on a CONSOLE.
Yes but the process which PD are using to portray sounds as Taku said isn't going to work on the current hardware (unless they somehow optimize it) so that big bump to next gen should serve to throw this excuse out of the window

IMO the biggest issues with GT aren't the result of hardware limitation but the fact that the core game is terrible. Sub-par games like Grid and F1 have a career mode that makes you feel like you're in a championship. Practice, qualifying, races with your choice of length/damage/weather/difficulty. GT has all these great tracks and cars and their idea of racing is to go straight to a race and give you five laps to get from the back of the grid to the front. Until they change this format GT will be a joke of a "game" and no amount of bug fixes, audio improvements or livery editors will fix that.

Thank goodness for online racing.

That's an entirely different matter, but yes sounds and/or a Livery Editor will make the game alot more enjoyable.

Hahahaha...

I happen to agree. FM2 was much better, sound wise, than the more recent offerings - clearer and more variety. Now all the cars sound like T10's 3-band distortion effect, and they sound like it no matter what you do to them. Maybe they sound OK on other hardware, but not on my headphones; it's quite disappointing that they would stunt their own potential like that. If it were on PC, I'm sure it'd have been modded out in a snap.

I dearly hope PD follow what iRacing and PGR4 did and go for "authenticity" instead of, well, NFS circa 2008. And, pre-emptively speaking, to say that "NFS is better than what we have now" would be missing the point entirely - they could (have) go(ne) either way (any way, really), so they should choose the right way, in keeping with the theme and feel of the game (which is what makes NFS' sounds appropriate, in NFS).

I still don't get why do we have the race "base cars" if no customization is involved...
Just came back from a x2011 ride, that thing sounds awfull... Tried 2 and 5.1, dj phones,in all and each of the living room and theater modes. It sounds too artificial, and downshifts hitting the rev limiter forget it... Looks like a laser weapon firing.
Pd, gimme fake sounds, i'd be happier with them by now.
Or ship one of these to me!
22%2B2013-top-marques-monaco%2Bipod-speaker-headers.jpg

The answer to the sound question shouldn't really surprise anyone. PD has a high level of attention to detail and whilst they are playing by the "rules" and trying to make the cars sound realistic, the competition are trying to make the sound better, albeit artificially so. Don't forget, come companies synthesize sounds into the cabins of their cars to make the exhaust sound better than it is, so is breaking the "rules" more authentic now?

The answer to the livery is a nice way of saying no by giving the reason behind it. There will never be a livery editor, but there will be more visual modification capabilities on PS4.

The third is the tricky one. I think he misread the question and thought we were asking about online rather than offline. I don't think he would truthfully answer the second question which is the most requested feature and then deliberately mislead us with this answer.

Don't forget, he repeatedly said these answers were his opinion as opposed to facts. He is a senior corporate chap, he knows how to say a lot of words but give nothing away.

There's a small possibility that the "community features" include sharing things like course maker tracks (when the tools are released to us). It's possible that could extend to "events" from an "event maker" tool, but that is perhaps wishful thinking.

Realistically, they need to be aiming any new features additions and creatations to GT7 on PS4 targeting FM6, cutting the wheat from the chaff ie standard cars and low render old tracks. GT6 seem to be a work in progress and they have a list of features coming but anything new will not come to GT6, already said its pushing the hardwares capabity.

Please give us the demo on PS4 they showed behind closed doors to the press.

Please give us any Engine, Transmission and Wheel Swaps, and an option to restrict them online.
PS4 demo? wait what? did i miss something?

Back