Anybody from FM series that switched to GT5 considering going back?

• Thread starter GTP_Plato
  • 111 comments
I think many many are disappointed what GT5 deliverd after so much development time and creating hype!

For me as Gt5 went in to my playstation I thought WOWWWWW! Utterly amazing, cool and fantastic. Most beautifull Day/Night transition I ever witnessed on Le Mans. Played a lot on Le Mans but it was no fun with the AI. I felt most of the time just hotlapping during the race. The drivingmodel was/is also great in GT5 but that's it. No innovation, nothing fresh, nothing what makes a game last a long time. Problem with GT5, it only does amazing drivingmodel and beautiful graphics. But were is the rest. 11 years ago with GT1 the set a milestone in gaming but they still have this same concept. All the Gran Turismo games are fine but I grew tired of it and got bored. Boredome is a gamekiller. In Forza for me there is much to discover, lot's of stuff to do. Nice races with good AI and restrictions within races. I play more offline than online and I think that shows also how decent Forza 3 is. There are a couple of issues though with cockpit and day/night transition but these are minor complaints because there is just so much to do, play, paint, tune, photograph. Their communication towards the community is also a lot better. I think T10 is more aware of it's fans in the US and Europe.

For those of you reading my comments please understand, My main interest is online racing. I don't really care about leaderboards, and I have know interest in designing paint schemes for cars or taking photo's.

FM3 had preset hoppers for multiplayer. Which resulted in a very low amount of people to race with online and with the car class system there is only about 2 cars from each class that are competitive totaling about 10-12 cars that everyone uses online.

That's why I love GT5, so many cars that can compete with each other and no all wheel drive dominance!

So I say again, there will have to be major improvements for them to have my support.

What message are you sending out to them Skills, if you return.

There's no message to be sent out, there are only a couple of us Team_Skills members that still play GT5. Others have either gone to iracing, or not playing racing games at all, but I would say all Skills members that are left on GT5 will go to FM4 but it doesn't mean we won't want to enjoy what GT5 also has to offer. As I said though there need to be more features added to the game and leaderboards, to keep the game alive. I still enjoy playing but I am sure I am not the only one who thinks GT5 does not offer a great deal.

I entered the WRS because of the lack of leaderboards and it's a great competitive place to be, but with a game boasting full leaderboards and great content from the start, I can only see one winner at the moment. Not to mention the improved physics that will surely close the gap on GT5's physics

Forza for me all the way. GT5 just didn't cut when it came time to racing. The funky damage model killed any and all racing for the group I race with. I notice the major complaints are from people wanting to race randoms online. I'm TOTALLY not into racing randoms online. Any game where you are trusting an "honor system" to a random person is going to let you down. That's the nature of the "win at all costs" known as online play. When playing with a group of like minded individuals Forza 3 outshines GT5 by far. FM4 should be just as exciting if not more so. My poor PS3 has went back to Netflix duty months ago and is lucky to get turned on once every 2 weeks.

I was really looking for GT5 to replace FM3 as our racing game of choice but it just didn't get the job done. We ran some Race Pro after the GT5 failure and that was a blast.

Forza for me all the way. GT5 just didn't cut when it came time to racing. The funky damage model killed any and all racing for the group I race with. I notice the major complaints are from people wanting to race randoms online. I'm TOTALLY not into racing randoms online. Any game where you are trusting an "honor system" to a random person is going to let you down. That's the nature of the "win at all costs" known as online play. When playing with a group of like minded individuals Forza 3 outshines GT5 by far. FM4 should be just as exciting if not more so. My poor PS3 has went back to Netflix duty months ago and is lucky to get turned on once every 2 weeks.

I was really looking for GT5 to replace FM3 as our racing game of choice but it just didn't get the job done. We ran some Race Pro after the GT5 failure and that was a blast.
I definitely agree with you about racing randoms. But in my case it was very difficult to get enough clean racers in a lobby to make it worthwhile. And you can forget about finding a decent race from the hopper selection.

With GT5 there is plenty of rooms to choose from. And most of the time you can find rooms named CLEAN. Which 90% of the time they are actually clean racers who understand the rules of racing.

Now in Forza's online racing you can be 95% guaranteed that you will be bashed off the track in the first turn especially if you have a team name like EMW, or if you have a high online ranking. And that makes me :mad:

I definitely agree with you about racing randoms. But in my case it was very difficult to get enough clean racers in a lobby to make it worthwhile. And you can forget about finding a decent race from the hopper selection.

With GT5 there is plenty of rooms to choose from. And most of the time you can find rooms named CLEAN. Which 90% of the time they are actually clean racers who understand the rules of racing.

Now in Forza's online racing you can be 95% guaranteed that you will be bashed off the track in the first turn especially if you have a team name like EMW, or if you have a high online ranking. And that makes me :mad:

So then since FM4 online system is back to where it should have always been, I'll see you online on xbox live then? lol

Yeah, it's hard to get immersed in a racing experience when hitting walls and opponents and a damage model are done so poorly. I always feel like I'm actually at least racing in forza. I guess thats why GT is the real "driving" simulator.

Earlier today, I traveled across Le Mans to get some groceries...

I know where your coming from Skills.
Unless your gone the PC route there's not much competition out there. No disrespect to GT but I dont see it as a competitor.
Different consoles for one, and if you own both consoles your going to have both games anyhow.

Long time since I played GT. The night to day transistions on Le Sarth. Are they real time or are they doing night to day over 2 laps or so. If yes can it be changed to real time.
I might fire it up.

So then since FM4 online system is back to where it should have always been, I'll see you online on xbox live then? lol

Yeah, it's hard to get immersed in a racing experience when hitting walls and opponents and a damage model are done so poorly. I always feel like I'm actually at least racing in forza. I guess thats why GT is the real "driving" simulator.

Earlier today, I traveled across Le Mans to get some groceries...

I actually predict some horror stories online with FM4. Now you'll have guys using the private custom settings to create stupid public lobbies where like the last guy wins or some garbage and the unwitting participants are losing and don't know why.

I know where your coming from Skills.
Unless your gone the PC route there's not much competition out there. No disrespect to GT but I dont see it as a competitor.
Different consoles for one, and if you own both consoles your going to have both games anyhow.

Long time since I played GT. The night to day transistions on Le Sarth. Are they real time or are they doing night to day over 2 laps or so. If yes can it be changed to real time.
I might fire it up.

It can be turned to fast change or slow. But keep in mind, if it were real time then you would have to spend 12 -15 hours on the track to wait for night time.

Cheers Skills.

Anyone think it a good idea to hide your rank online.

Also, though I'm not into tag or cat or mouse, now and again it would be nice to go into them lobby's but have your rank disabled. Or even have a separate rank for what is really a lottery game if you get my meaning.

No disrespect to cats (or mice) intended.

I know one of my veteran friends wouldn't entertain it. He wasn't fussed on it but his rank taking a hammering definitely put him off.

I didnt switch, i didnt leave, i wont leave, ill play both games.

I did however get bored of Forza 3 and GT5 much faster than Forza 2 and GT4.

Anybody from FM series that switched to GT5 considering going back?

Nobody should ever have "switched". The world isn't black-and-white. You don't have to be just Forza Motorsport or just Gran Turismo. I enjoy both series. I spent like ten months and something like 500 hours with FM3, and have spent the past six months or so and probably 200+ hours with GT5. Later this year it will be FM4 for probably many months and hundreds more hours.

Anybody that is incapable of enjoying both isn't a racing fan; plain and simple.

I may just switch completly to Forza after the next installment but the truth is that FM series will never sell like the GT series and not because its a worse game but mainly because PD and Sony are very cleaver and pull all the right marketing moves... who cares if the game isnt what it could be or isnt as complete as the FM series when you got the best graphics and a podium finish in the Le Mans series.... unfortunatly for us (those who expected the GT series to continue to evolve in the direction it seem to be heading)
... and in the end it just all about selling more... isnt it???

Nobody should ever have "switched". The world isn't black-and-white. You don't have to be just Forza Motorsport or just Gran Turismo. I enjoy both series. I spent like ten months and something like 500 hours with FM3, and have spent the past six months or so and probably 200+ hours with GT5. Later this year it will be FM4 for probably many months and hundreds more hours.

Anybody that is incapable of enjoying both isn't a racing fan; plain and simple.

I agree with the first part but this part I can't agree with. But I think I got the gist of what you're saying. Pretty much anyone who can't give another game a chance to try to enjoy isn't a true racing fan. I tried with GT5 but too many things just killed it for me. Couldn't enjoy it. But the point is I DID try and with an open mind and true heart to enjoy it. I was really looking forward to it, maybe I hyped it more than I should in my mind. Maybe I should have not taken their word on things that didn't come to pass but I did try. But I do understand where you're coming from.

I played Forza 3 for 1year until GT5 came out which was dissapointing at first until all the patches were released now it does satisfy my racing needs. I will be returning to Forza 4 as long as the physics are better or at least on parr with GT5 I think the Forza game in general is better thought out apart from the AWD swap. The Pirelli partnership with Forza 4 sounds promising and according to Dan will be the most up to date physics possible. So if this is the case i will be putting GT5 away until the next big title comes out for PS3. I go where the physics are most accurate.

I'd agree with you if the reason why someone's not enjoying both games is because he never gave one game a chance.
To others, though, one game may be more enjoyable than the other. For example, if you can't get online all the time, the actual racing in GT5 is quite limited - other games offer a better offline experience.

For me, it comes down to time. I just don't have the spare time to put a lot of time into both games, so I have to chose. Well, it's not that troublesome, as I already left GT5 due to other reasons.
Will I switch from Shift 2 to FM4, though? Most definitely. I just see no point in playing a game that, from my point of view, is inferior. Not that that makes one game better per se, but one is almost guaranteed to fit my needs better.

I enjoyed the Forza series, for 4-5 years it was the only racing game I played. I only play racing games as shooters get boring after a couple of weeks, but with FM3 it didn't have the same great feeling FM2 had. It had problems in a racing game that I just can't live with. I had FM2 on release day and played it right up until FM3 came out, but the same can't be said for FM3. I tried hard to enjoy the game just like my team members, but eventually gave up on the game 8-10 months ago.

The things I didn't enjoy about it were:

The AWD Swap
AWD Dominance
P.I system
Use of only 10 cars out of 500 to be competitive on the leaderboards
The Hopper System

There is probably more things missing from that list, but it gives you a general idea of what I look for in a racing game. I like to compete on the leaderboard for top 10 times on racing games, this is my motivation to keep playing and enjoying them, but when you have the choice of a select few cars to be competitive with, and the fact that it has to be AWD to compete the game got repetitive.

I waited for GT5 to come out as I really enjoyed this series, I still enjoy playing GT5 now but it will not compete with FM4 if even simple features that every racing game has are not implemented soon. This is just a few things missing:

Leaderboards
Decent penalty System
improved options for race lobbies

These are just the ones that kill the game for me at the moment, and hope that these are changed before FM4 comes out. Like I said in an earlier post if PD don't sort this game out fast there is only going to be one winner. I will always play what ever game is the best out there at the time and with how slow PD are at sorting things out, I see myself playing FM4 come october, but it doesn't mean I won't be enjoying what GT5 has to offer as well.

Both are great games (except FM3):yuck: I will more than likely still be playing both titles when FM4 comes out, PD surely have something up there sleeves surely there not going to bow down to Forza :sly:

If by the time FM4 comes out and PD haven't implemented anything new, most of my time will be spent on Forza providing they don't ruin it with the AWD swap and rubbish P.I system

The AWD swaps need to be addressed to be realistic. The way it is now, is a joke.

As for the PI, you are in the minority there. The PI is one of the reasons why we enjoy Forza. The PI system is indeed in Forza 4 as well, though it's been improved, with more accurate PI comparisons.

I've been a Gran Turismo driver my whole life (well, since GT1 came out anyway:P). Sony was what I always had, and now, I'm seriously considering buying an X-Box to play FM4. Does that mean I'll sell my PS3 and never play GT5 again? No, but GT5 is certainly giving me less reasons to keep on with it. My only issue is wheels. My G25 wheel buttons are starting to wear out already, so I may need a new wheel anyway.

PS- I'm still hanging out on Aussie cars for FM4 but I'm starting to think it won't happen in the way I want ever in any game.

I guess I have a question. Assuming money is not an object, why would one choose one OVER the other? Why not just enjoy both?

I mean, at least for me, I love cars...and I love the racing games. So I just buy them all....Forza, Gran Turismo, Race Pro, Project Gotham Racing. Need for Speed. I don't like to limit myself, I want them all ;)

I've been a Gran Turismo driver my whole life (well, since GT1 came out anyway:P). Sony was what I always had, and now, I'm seriously considering buying an X-Box to play FM4. Does that mean I'll sell my PS3 and never play GT5 again? No, but GT5 is certainly giving me less reasons to keep on with it. My only issue is wheels. My G25 wheel buttons are starting to wear out already, so I may need a new wheel anyway.

PS- I'm still hanging out on Aussie cars for FM4 but I'm starting to think it won't happen in the way I want ever in any game.

Paulie, you would love the tuning side of it, I much prefer this to the GT tuning. Let us know if and when you do get on it.

xbl tag Cashwars

Paulie, you would love the tuning side of it, I much prefer this to the GT tuning. Let us know if and when you do get on it.

xbl tag Cashwars

I've seen a bit of it at my mate's place, who is, ironically, a Forza tuner.:lol:

The AWD swaps need to be addressed to be realistic. The way it is now, is a joke.

As for the PI, you are in the minority there. The PI is one of the reasons why we enjoy Forza. The PI system is indeed in Forza 4 as well, though it's been improved, with more accurate PI comparisons.

The P.I system is indeed going to be in FM4, your post is the first I have heard about the P.I being improved, I hope this information is correct. It is not just down to the P.I system that the game is flawed, as we both have mentioned that the AWD swap killed FM3. If they implement this feature again we can only hope they get it right this time as I don't like the idea of only being able to compete in AWD cars all over again. Hopefully they have taken note of what the best drivers on the FM series have said, and sort out this issue. They say there are over 500 cars in the game, but it's pointless having this many if you can only build and compete on the leaderboards using AWD cars.

@ Paulie

Look forward to seeing other GT drivers such as yourself come to FM4, message me on PS3 if you do decide to get an Xbox and I will add your Gamertag on Xbox 👍

The P.I system is indeed going to be in FM4, your post is the first I have heard about the P.I being improved, I hope this information is correct. It is not just down to the P.I system that the game is flawed, as we both have mentioned that the AWD swap killed FM3. If they implement this feature again we can only hope they get it right this time as I don't like the idea of only being able to compete in AWD cars all over again. Hopefully they have taken note of what the best drivers on the FM series have said, and sort out this issue. They say there are over 500 cars in the game, but it's pointless having this many if you can only build and compete on the leaderboards using AWD cars.

Some posters at Neogaf that were at E3 commented on it, as when they were at the demo kiosks, the MS reps that were there mentioned it.

Some posters at Neogaf that were at E3 commented on it, as when they were at the demo kiosks, the MS reps that were there mentioned it.

Something else that sounds promising then, they seem to be really putting in the effort this time. It has to be to with brian taking over at turn 10 because the game seems to be going in the right direction

I agree with the first part but this part I can't agree with. But I think I got the gist of what you're saying. Pretty much anyone who can't give another game a chance to try to enjoy isn't a true racing fan. I tried with GT5 but too many things just killed it for me. Couldn't enjoy it. But the point is I DID try and with an open mind and true heart to enjoy it. I was really looking forward to it, maybe I hyped it more than I should in my mind. Maybe I should have not taken their word on things that didn't come to pass but I did try. But I do understand where you're coming from.

hear hear!

I had a similar experience with GT5. I occasionally revisit the game, but for the most part it is out of my mind.

xbl tag Cashwars

That's another thing. Tuning in GT5. The claim that the physics are ultra-sim by some is hogwash. The group I ran with did a NASCAR series in GT5. We got to the Indy track and I just threw up some half-assed tune that turned out to be totally wrong for what NASCAR cars are all about. I should have been getting killed out there but guess what, I and a few others who happened to stumble on to similar tunes were totally CRUSHING the guys who didn't have these "wrong" tunes. And when I mean crushing I mean we were blowing by them as if they had half the engine. I think I might still have that replay, I could send the data to someone who could video card capture it if they choose. But it was just ridiculous. I swear it was so bad I felt like I was some how cheating as if I was supposed to have done something that I didn't do or vice versa.

Back