Anybody from FM series that switched to GT5 considering going back?

• Thread starter GTP_Plato
  • 111 comments
That's another thing. Tuning in GT5. The claim that the physics are ultra-sim by some is hogwash. The group I ran with did a NASCAR series in GT5. We got to the Indy track and I just threw up some half-assed tune that turned out to be totally wrong for what NASCAR cars are all about. I should have been getting killed out there but guess what, I and a few others who happened to stumble on to similar tunes were totally CRUSHING the guys who didn't have these "wrong" tunes. And when I mean crushing I mean we were blowing by them as if they had half the engine. I think I might still have that replay, I could send the data to someone who could video card capture it if they choose. But it was just ridiculous. I swear it was so bad I felt like I was some how cheating as if I was supposed to have done something that I didn't do or vice versa.

There was actually a thread about the tuning on this game a while back. When me and a few friends came across to GT5 the tuners in our team noticed straight away that most of the tuning was backwards, especially ride height and most other suspension settings. One of the only tuning features that seem to be right on GT5 is the toe and camber.👍

Here is the link https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=202692

There was actually a thread about the tuning on this game a while back. When me and a few friends came across to GT5 the tuners in our team noticed straight away that most of the tuning was backwards, especially ride height and most other suspension settings. One of the only tuning features that seem to be right on GT5 is the toe and camber.👍

Here is the link https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=202692

This is why i don't tune in GT5.

No matter what i do i'll always have in the back of my head "is this the right way or wrong way."

I still prefer the tuning in Forza to be honest.

Didnt switch, I just get more from FM than GT5 currently. Not trading or selling either.

Same here, I will be keeping on to GT5 in the hope that things improve. I joined the WRS in the hope it would take my mind off some features missing in this game (leaderboards) but the way FM4 is shaping up if things don't improve on GT5, I can only see myself playing FM4

Will not be going back to FM3 though, very poor compared to FM2

I find that Gran Turismo has much better handling cars, in Forza 3 they felt like they were on ice skates. Also the single player sucked the big one with Forza 3, way too boring.

If they fix these, then I will be all over Forza 4 like a bad rash. I have both Xbox and PS3, so there is no brand loyalty only game quality matters for me.

I play both regularly with Forza getting 60% and GT 40%. I mostly keep playing GT 'cause a couple of my racing friends only play GT.

Just love both these games. Forza gets more time because I think its more immersive but GT's got a lot of things going for it.

I hope they would fix the unrealistic rwd snap oversteer with comfort and sport tires though. A 350Z on track with good sports tires will not do that to you unless you are VERY careless... just like I would like Forza to be a little less permissive for the exact same thing. Kind of a happy medium between the 2.

I play both regularly with Forza getting 60% and GT 40%. I mostly keep playing GT 'cause a couple of my racing friends only play GT.

Just love both these games. Forza gets more time because I think its more immersive but GT's got a lot of things going for it.

I hope they would fix the unrealistic rwd snap oversteer with comfort and sport tires though. A 350Z on track with good sports tires will not do that to you unless you are VERY careless... just like I would like Forza to be a little less permissive for the exact same thing. Kind of a happy medium between the 2.
👍

👍

I hope they would fix the unrealistic rwd snap oversteer with comfort and sport tires though. A 350Z on track with good sports tires will not do that to you unless you are VERY careless...

I just wish people would learn how to drive before making comments like these. If you're getting snap oversteer in a 350Z in GT5 you are doing something very VERY wrong.

I just wish people would learn how to drive before making comments like these. If you're getting snap oversteer in a 350Z in GT5 you are doing something very VERY wrong.

Hey Paulie, assuming just a little bit there huh?

I'm not saying I'm the greatest driver in the world but I assure you that I hold my own at realworld trackdays my friend. All I'm saying is that my 350Z will not do that in the real world but it will in GT5 thats it.

Sorry if I'm not as good as you are sir...👍

I just wish people would realize that there is NO console racing sim that mirrors real life to a T. Even those "proclaimed" to be the absolute "best" have flaws in it's physics. It's amazing when the physicists themselves admit NOBODY has these sims down to 100% real life yet we're supposed to believe a 60 dollar game does.

The Leaderboards on all the FM games have had a few cars dominate the many, PERIOD! There is no way to make every car or even most of the cars equal with a PI system, IMHO. All the cars in a F1 race arent ever equal, some are better then others. If you want close races agree on a set of specs with your racing buddies, and drive those cars. I hate to brake it to ya but you get nothing when your number one on a leaderboard. Except to say " I was number one in the world on...". Close racing is way more fun then trying to shave a tenth off your lap to reclam the top spot. But it is ALWAYS fun to be the only guy driving car A in the top three when everyone in the top 100 used car B.

I switched from FM3 to GT5 about a week after release. I pretty much play the newest one though. GT5 is a better experience with the wheel, but I enjoyed every moment online in FM3, and had fun spending a night racing to build a new car the next day, getting it dialed in, and earning more money online. The cars feel more special, since you can put time into them and make it yours. I haven't gotten into the online aspect of GT5 much at all, I know I need to give it a shot.

I'll probably pick FM4 up around release.

Hey Paulie, assuming just a little bit there huh?

I'm not saying I'm the greatest driver in the world but I assure you that I hold my own at realworld trackdays my friend. All I'm saying is that my 350Z will not do that in the real world but it will in GT5 thats it.

Sorry if I'm not as good as you are sir...👍

On sports tyres in GT5 in a 350Z I'd be surprised if the thing oversteered at all much less snap oversteer all the time. Perhaps you're not quite realising how much throttle you're giving it in GT5 compared to real life.
And what was there to assume? You made a comment about how a 350Z handles in GT5 I consider to be un-true, I never said you couldn't drive in real life. To be honest that has nothing to do with how ever it is you're getting snap oversteer in GT5. If you were driving it on Comfort tyres you have nothing to compare to anyway, since GT5 reckcons their Sports Hard is the OE tyre for the 350Z, unless you've taken your 350Z around the track on space-savers.:odd:

Last edited:
On sports tyres in GT5 in a 350Z I'd be surprised if the thing oversteered at all much less snap oversteer all the time. Perhaps you're not quite realising how much throttle you're giving it in GT5 compared to real life.
And what was there to assume? You made a comment about how a 350Z handles in GT5 I consider to be un-true, I never said you couldn't drive in real life. To be honest that has nothing to do with how ever it is you're getting snap oversteer in GT5. If you were driving it on Comfort tyres you have nothing to compare to anyway, since GT5 reckcons their Sports Hard is the OE tyre for the 350Z, unless you've taken your 350Z around the track on space-savers.:odd:

Ok I'll give it to you I have chosen the wrong example. I may have been a little hurt by this GT Academy trial... and since I drive a Z in real life I was quick to point toward it.

But I still think with maybe some higher horsepower cars its a bit unrealistic at the limit. I mean if you tell me you can drift , say, a Z06 consistently with stock tires I tip my hat to you. And the lift throttle oversteer is, to say the least, quick to trigger.

Sorry about my own assumptions:guilty:

Last edited:
No game is perfect, GT5 has its many flaws as will Forza 4, even iRacing I'm sure has some discrepancies. One thing I do know is the V8 Supercar has waaaay more traction than it should.

No game is perfect, GT5 has its many flaws as will Forza 4, even iRacing I'm sure has some discrepancies. One thing I do know is the V8 Supercar has waaaay more traction than it should.

I don't know about that man. I remember driving them with all assists off and that thing flying all over the place. I thought I was going to kill my wheel. lol

I don't know about that man. I remember driving them with all assists off and that thing flying all over the place. I thought I was going to kill my wheel. lol

This is my experience as well. I can't keep the dang things on the track for the life of me.

I never gave up playing Forza 3. As I played GT5 for the 1st (2nd and 3rd) time I realized that I will stick with FM3 even though I spent a lot of cash for GT5 and a racing wheel. There were too many things that went wrong and which could not oversee in GT5

Hence...gamers should judge by themselves and decide what game they prefer ;)

I never gave up playing Forza 3. As I played GT5 for the 1st (2nd and 3rd) time I realized that I will stick with FM3 even though I spent a lot of cash for GT5 and a racing wheel. There were too many things that went wrong and which could not oversee in GT5

Hence...gamers should judge by themselves and decide what game they prefer ;)

This.

My ps3 is now on Ebay..

I have played both GT and Forza since the beginning of both. I came back to GT5 because my Xbox 360 died and my roomate had a PS3. I'm not going to pick GT5 apart. But after seeing Forza 4 and knowing how Forza is I will be happily buying a new Xbox and returning to Forza...it simply in my opinion has become the better game.

I sincerely gave GT one last chance, and it just hasn't added up to what it used to be for me. Forza on the other hand never got boring, it never ended, and it never let me down so much as GT has.

Plus who can argue with Koenigsegg, Porsche, and the Ferrari F50...GT5 just doesn't even come close.

I have played both GT and Forza since the beginning of both. I came back to GT5 because my Xbox 360 died and my roomate had a PS3. I'm not going to pick GT5 apart. But after seeing Forza 4 and knowing how Forza is I will be happily buying a new Xbox and returning to Forza...it simply in my opinion has become the better game.

I sincerely gave GT one last chance, and it just hasn't added up to what it used to be for me. Forza on the other hand never got boring, it never ended, and it never let me down so much as GT has.

Plus who can argue with Koenigsegg, Porsche, and the Ferrari F50...GT5 just doesn't even come close.

This.

This is my experience as well. I can't keep the dang things on the track for the life of me.

You watched V8 SCs in real life? They barely get full throttle until they're on the straight, well outside the corner. In GT5, even with racing hards and downforce turned to min. I have way more traction than that.

You watched V8 SCs in real life? They barely get full throttle until they're on the straight, well outside the corner. In GT5, even with racing hards and downforce turned to min. I have way more traction than that.

Looks like he's got 100% throttle on just before the exit apex on most of the corners to me.

Are you kidding? He's clearly on the straight right out of the corner before he's hitting full throttle in that video, the commentator even mentions it. Thanks for providing a video that backs up my point of view.

I have to say I'm looking forward to Forza 4. I'm not looking forward to needing another wheel though.

Back