Anyone else dissapointed in Shift 2?

• Thread starter Spagetti69
  • 526 comments
Are you on PSN Speedster? Mind if I add you?

i think i accepted youon psn, sorry if i didn't send you some kind of welcome message but i was in the middle of that ****ing time trial with the porsche on short nurburg.. damn 1.24.002 vs 1.24.000 target:ouch:

However i'm in love with this game, i like the cars, the tuning, the events that are challenging. really good and really happy. Wheel set to perfection, driving very well.

i think i accepted youon psn, sorry if i didn't send you some kind of welcome message but i was in the middle of that ****ing time trial with the porsche on short nurburg.. damn 1.24.002 vs 1.24.000 target:ouch:

However i'm in love with this game, i like the cars, the tuning, the events that are challenging. really good and really happy. Wheel set to perfection, driving very well.

Yes you did :) No worries, you have given me a nice target to go chase on that hot lap :P.

FM3 works superbly on pad. There's no excuse for this awful, weird experience on a pad that doesn't feel any better than the mess that was Shift 1.

Between calling a 1999 Honda S2000 a CR, to having 2005 versions of certain cars already replaced with new models and the pad gameplay that is the same broken mess it was in Shift, I wonder what the heck SMS actually worked on that wasn't just relish.

What a waste of time and money, i am soooo disappointed by Shift 2. Here is a list of the things i despise:

The cars ALL handle pretty much the same.

• I use a logitech driving force gt wheel and the feedback sux

• If you turn the wheel, it takes about half a second to a second for the car to respond.

• Spent all day yesterday just trying to tweak the wheel and it only got worse, the car was turning on the STRAIGHT on its own

• The graphics are not good at all, they look like they were rushed to get people to forget about the flop that Hot Pursuit was

• When drifting, it was better to do it with a pad than with a wheel, it was unresponsive and you need need accurate steering when drifting dont you ?Drifting was near impossible with a wheel, it shoulda been the other way roundwith pad dont you think??

• The tracks looked blurry while racing even at low speeds and the surroundings were dismal

• if you touched the curb, the car would change direction whether you had TC on or off and there was no control, i thought kerbs were supposed to give you a bit of grip

• If you bumped another car, it was almost as if your car would stick to theirs for a while then spin or crash, the crashing was impressive but the game is for racing and not showing off crashes EA
Lastly, i had had enough trying to convince myself that it would get better and that since i had paid for the game i will grow to like it, put on GT5 and evrything was just excellent. I then took the game back and told them it was faulty and got my money back, now i wait for the next proper racing game, and i will NEVER buy any need for speed games despite having been a fan for the previous versions. I am glad my nightmare is over and i got my money back.

GT5 set the benchmark, and i think only GT6 will be better, ALL ROUND.

• if you touched the curb, the car would change direction whether you had TC on or off and there was no control, i thought kerbs were supposed to give you a bit of grip

I hate the game as well but that is false. They are just extra runoff. IRL they are quite slippery.

My honey moon period with this game has finally worn off and the taste its starting to leave in my mouth is bitter. I am really trying to love this game, and I think I really would if they fixed the few main concerns that most have already voiced. I can live with the slightly arcade like physics but the lag between my G27 and the what's happening on screen is killing me. Apparently the autolog server is always down when I log in to the website so photomode turns out to be a big waste of time. There are other little things that could be improved too but they are not deal breakers, unlike the steering lag. I really hope that these are issues that can be patched but until then I might take a sabbatical.

Yup. The deeper I get into the game, the faster the cars get (obviously), and the faster the cars get, the harder it is to drive thru the lag. This makes me sad.

What a waste of time and money, i am soooo disappointed by Shift 2. Here is a list of the things i despise:

Sadly, I have to agree with your post. Do not totally agree with the curb comment, but I have to agree with the rest, and also your conclusion.

Hot Pursuit was nowhere near a massive flop. Got to be the best received NFS in years.

Criterion made an absolute stormer of an arcade game.

This sort of discredits all your other points.

If anything, GT4 set the benchmark. GT5 is a half-arsed attempt that should have been called GT-Online since they completely forgot to ship it with a decent single player career mode. And then we don't even go into all the other game-breaking design flaws PD introduced this time around.

gt5 set the benchmark.. this is the biggest ******** i've ever heard in years. It's a benchmark in how to do a crappy game with tons of money in 6 years.

This sort of discredits all your other points.

If anything, GT4 set the benchmark. GT5 is a half-arsed attempt that should have been called GT-Online since they completely forgot to ship it with a decent single player career mode. And then we don't even go into all the other game-breaking design flaws PD introduced this time around.

GT4 did set the benchmark, it was a big leap forward. However, GT5 improved on many different aspects and the driving model came along leaps and bounds, online was brought in which was a big part of it. Career mode wise some people dislike the format but it really has not changed since GT4, in that GT4 had no more of a career mode than GT5, aside from more single events, while GT5 has had a large ammount of seasonals. I find GT5 is a game that most people will never likely complete, and its ok being that way. GT5 (or any GT game) is the type of game you can just pickup and play for a bit, put it down and come back 2 months later and keep working at it. The driving is where the enjoyment is had.

On topic:

Shift 2 is a completely different type of game to GT5, it is much smaller and much less advanced. It is a cool game and really should go alongside GT5 rather than compete with it. I am never going to play Shift 2 for as long as i play GT5, Shift 2 is simply smaller, it lacks the depth and the quality of the driving model is too far off to keep me interested.

On the PC the graphics for Shift 2 are frankly... amazing, the best i have seen most likely, while the car models do not rival GT5 premiums they are good. But the track quality (design/accuracy wise) is not as good as GT5, real world tracks are slightly innacurate and far too wide, Nordschleife feels massive it is so wide in this game.

The game for me lacks depth, is innacurate in many ways, adds too many fake elements (Like losing colour vision when i bump another car) and over dramatises the racing in some cases.

It is a great pick up and go game, i'm nearly 60% through now and i have had fun, raced on a bunch of tracks and enjoyed myself, but once i reach 100% its going to be a choice of running the inferior physics model at the inferior version of Nordschleife in Shift 2 or going back to the much more accurate and articulate opposition in GT5, the clear choice is i will go back to GT5 for my racing when i am done.

Biggest game design type annoyance for me is the "Best Line" - Getting experience for following what the game decides is the best line, encouraging you to use the driving line and honestly making you slower. The line just isn't the best line most of the time as such a thing is massively car and situation dependant and forcing you to use the driving line aid in order to level up faster is a flaw that has annoyed me.

truly disappointed :( the graphics of the track looks like a NES game :) and plus you get crappy gameplay and why screen black and white and an RX-8 that can compete with veyron's ??? and you're halfway through the by just drifting WTF and trailer looks and makes you think it's a nice but it's nothing like that so all we can say is GT5 forever until GT6 comes out please DON'T BUY THIS

Played it for a couple of days now and thanks to the wheel settings posted by some GTP'ers on this forum the floaty handling is fixed on at least a couple cars :) . Mainly driving an Audi TT and it handles better than I expected after reading all these comments. Of course there is still the input lag in steering and throttle, but at least some cars are playable.

What struck me the most however (as I was aware of the inferior handling) were the inferior graphics. I played the demo of the original Shift and I must say that it looked better than this...much better.
The cars are look average, but ok, but the tracks are looking awful... It's like playing the tracks from Supercar Challenge with additional billboards. There were racers on the PS2 that looked better and not just GT3 and GT4.

So far I'm giving the game 6/10

Shift 2 is a completely different type of game to GT5, it is much smaller and much less advanced.

I'm not going to argue with less advanced, but smaller?

GT5 has something on the order of 130 offline events. Shift 2 has 250+, and they're far more replayable as they adapt the AI field to the car you are using.

Shift 2 has all the online functionality of GT5 with private/public rooms, plus matchmaking and some additional race modes and driver duels. And Autolog, if you count that as online play for those in different time zones.

GT5 is great and all, but there's not much in the way of content once you get past the 1000 strong car list. Shift 2 is a far larger and more complete game, even if it's worse.

I'm not going to argue with less advanced, but smaller?

GT5 has something on the order of 130 offline events. Shift 2 has 250+, and they're far more replayable as they adapt the AI field to the car you are using.

Shift 2 has all the online functionality of GT5 with private/public rooms, plus matchmaking and some additional race modes and driver duels. And Autolog, if you count that as online play for those in different time zones.

GT5 is great and all, but there's not much in the way of content once you get past the 1000 strong car list. Shift 2 is a far larger and more complete game, even if it's worse.

I completely disagree, there is a lot more to the depth of GT5 than the ammount of single events available. The AI is chosen based on the class of your car in Shift 2 but that still doesnt stop me from shooting off the line into 1st place before the first corner in most events and then never seeing the AI again unless they happen to ram me off on the first corner. I only once had a challenge in this game when the AI driver was driving a works converted car that was a full class above me and the rest of the field, even in that case it was a straight forward win.

GT5 has higher quality tracks with more attention to detail with world tracks much closer to reality, a far more developed physics system, it has a far bigger car list, along with information and better/more effective tuning and upgrade system. The photo mode in GT5 is stronger with more depth and higher quality.

GT5 has the licencing system, the special events and the seasonal events along with the GT Academy tournament events. The drifting mode in GT5 is much more polished and correctly using the same physics model (rather than some flawed gimmic drifting physics model). GT5 has a course generator and a full arcade mode where you can drive cars that are adjusted to the performance of your car, in the career mode the cars you will be up against are shown before you enter the race, so its easy to balance your car choice around it.

Shift 2 to me is a mashup of some nice looking graphics (atleast on the PC) a thrown together physics system with an attempt of making drama out of motorsport and mashing together a load of events, there is no depth to the game, and there is to much focus on cool looking effects rather than actual realism.

Throw in together with poor wheel + pad functionality, lots of bugs and issues (ATI drivers crash a lot, graphical glitches), the input lag

The one huge plus factor to Shift 2 is the massive and very strong track list, its just a shame that almost all of the tracks are wider and slightly different to their real life counterparts. But other than the track list, i can't see in any way how this game can compare to GT5

Hear hear, bazz. Agreed on all points. Altho, there's definitely something to be said for the game still managing to be pretty good fun, despite it's rather hefty list of flaws.

GT5 has plenty of tracks too, it just doesn't use them - rehashing the same ones over and over.

Shift 2 seems the same.

I'm over 60% in the game and i have not once driven around Suzuka GP, only once a Nurburgring Gp and Nordschleife, not once has it taken me to Brands Hatch full circuit or Silverstone GP, not once have i raced at Spa.

Seems i get the same old short variations of tracks and a bunch of fictional circuits over and over.

Just picked it up. Using a DS3. Medium difficulty. Experienced physics. Visual damage only.

I'm enjoying it. GT5 fans on the Shift forum had me worried, but it's enjoyable. And its better than GRID (which it should be since its coming out 3 years after GRID).

I'll post my full review later.

Cheers.

I was getting so amp'd for this game but like GT5 it is a bit of a disappointment. GT5 is now showing it's true colours, well for me it is. Same as FM3.

S2U is a nice game, but its the small things that are killing it for me. I'm on PS3 with no wheel and the steering is horrific. It was especially bad at first, but then I realised my PS3 wasnt set output 720p video so it was upscaling the video to 1080 the whole time making the steering lag absolutely ridiculous. Sorting that helped a truckload, but the steering is still laggy and in drift mode it's, well drifting is pointless with this sort of lag.

I think the graphics are fine. FOr not being a AAA game I it's not too bad. The in car views are great. I like helmet cam although it is a bit disorienting. I think SMS have at least tried to bring some new things to the table at least. THe night driving in cockpit with the dials lit up are fantastic. E36 cockpit view at night, brings back memories!

The sound is what makes it for me. Hearing that NFS RX8 spluttering its guts out is awseome! Just wish the sound was like that of the promo videos :/

Its the laggy steering that kills the game for me. Sometimes I can handle it but most of the time it does me in. Drifting is absolutely pointless! I feel more like I am trying to crack some sort of code of steering rather than driving. WHen I pull away the driver counter-steers, WHY?! I'm driving. Same when you initiate a drift, why is he countering, thats my job FFS. I'm still trying to figure out how the drifting physics work. I've been playing racing games since I was like 7 and I've never encountered such daft physics in my life! What is wrong with having one set of physics like GT5 and let me drift when I please. THIS IS NOT REAL RACING

I've been spinning out on to the grass and hitting barriers too. I think the steering lag that people are talking about is just the game simulating a driver taking time to turn at such high speeds.

I'm not trying to defend the game, but at least it's not like in GRID and to a lesser extent like in GT5 when you can turn the whole car in a millisecond.

Have you driven a race car at high speeds?

I'm speculating. See? I don't need a degree from Bigbazz's University of Sim Driving to speculate.

Have you driven a race car at high speeds?

I'm speculating. See? I don't need a degree from Bigbazz's University of Sim Driving to speculate.

I used to race karts, i have not raced a high speed racing car.

You dont often hear about features of race cars including "A system that simulates the reaction time delay of drivers at high speeds". There is no delay, its the most natural thing you get yourself into a rhythm and everything is about timing, when you get its natural no matter the speed.

The game doesnt need to simulate delay, if a driver is going to turn too late then the car will turn late, human reaction times are enough. And to be honest reaction times are only used in recovery, as you enter a corner you will already be on a planned course so everything will happen on time, as you feel through the corner adjustments will be made based on reaction times where as the initial turn in point is based on planned timing.

The input lag is something to do with the settings, on the pc you can check through the files and see it for yourself, you can edit it but each time the game runs it replaces the file (you can even delete it), meaning you cannot actually edit it. This could be the root of the problem, the faster the car the more you notice it.

I've been driving a 1100bhp Works Mclaren F1, and it is a nightmare to drive because everything is delayed, at a speed where you really need the car to be working with you, not against you.

I think the steering lag that people are talking about is just the game simulating a driver taking time to turn at such high speeds.

If that's the case than it should not occur when your wheel settings are put to 900° rotation. The amount of angle you turn the wheel should be transmitted with the least lag possible to simulate real life.

Hmm, well the only cars I've driven so far in the game are the GT-R and the Mazda RX-8. To me it feels as if the car doesn't turn so well when I still have accelerator down, or maybe its just understeer. Also my GRID technique of using the handbrake to turn the car around also doesn't work here which I assume is a good thing.

Other than that, I guess I'll notice the input lag, if at all, in the higher powered cars.

I did notice however that things dont snap into action in Shift 2. When using helmet cam and I'm looking sideways with the right stick, the camera doesn't snap right and left. It's staggered which I assume is also close to what a human neck can do.

Which is why I said earlier that its the game trying to simulate a driver taking time to turn.

Latest Posts

Back