Anyone else dissapointed in Shift 2?

• Thread starter Spagetti69
  • 526 comments
I've been spinning out on to the grass and hitting barriers too. I think the steering lag that people are talking about is just the game simulating a driver taking time to turn at such high speeds.
Except it does that in even the slowest of cars....It's not simulating anything, it's just input lag that will hopefully be fixed.

I just dont like how they lied in the marketing of the product to try and make more profit. Even on the back of the case claiming its real racing but its not. If they told me that it was no diffirent form shift one just 10x more buggy i wouldn,t of bought it. is that not false advertising and isn't there some kind of law about it???

I just dont like how they lied in the marketing of the product to try and make more profit. Even on the back of the case claiming its real racing but its not. If they told me that it was no diffirent form shift one just 10x more buggy i wouldn,t of bought it. is that not false advertising and isn't there some kind of law about it???

Yeah let's get the Pitchforks, light some torches and Go huntin' for heads!!!!

The racing feels more real and exciting to me than the rather sterile subdued experience in GT5. I don't know about you, but there is no law against arcade handling where I live...

Also, I haven't run into a bug yet (ps3 here).

brambos
The racing feels more real and exciting to me than the rather sterile subdued experience in GT5. I don't know about you, but there is no law against arcade handling where I live...

Also, I haven't run into a bug yet (ps3 here).

I also enjoy the embellishments of S2U. But. The sad fact is, and I use the term loosely, that these extra effects are only necessary for those not capable of percieving them on their own. I get my own tunnel vision in GT5. To my ears, the tires scream in dismay when I brake too late for a corner and with pleasure when I hit that apex just right. The motor roars when I mash the accelerator out of a turn. The wind howls when I wander momentarily from the relative silence of the draft. It's all about perception and this is the way in which I percieve the racing in GT5, sterile or not. I don't need artificial over-the-toppery shoved down my throat to have a good time. A good physics engine and some interesting cars are all I need.

And this lamp. A good physics engine, interesting cars, this lamp...and my dog.

*dog growls*

I don't need my dog.

Yes, I've been playing for several hours and not once have i heard the Announcer scream something random about Ryan Cooper.

I'm hugely disappointed with this game. I'm not going to play it again until EA patches the steering and throttle lag. All the wheel settings posted by GTP members are helpful but they're just a workaround to a huge flaw in the game's code.

If it doesn't get patched in within the month, I'll just sell my copy. Good thing I haven't redeemed the code in my limited ed. copy.

After owning the title now since the release day in USA.., I would have to say that what I am most disappointed with isn't the physics, graphics, glitches, ect.

What really irks me is that SMS/EA pulled the EXACT same pile of bullsh-t with the release of Shift 2 as they did with the first Shift. They posted all of these developer vids (just like with the previous title) going on and on about how they learned from the mistakes of the previous title.., improved this that..., claiming the physics don't get more real than this.., then literally repeating the release of Shift 1.

They got everyone all hyped up about the title. Honestly.., I felt they deserved the chance at another shot too because they got SO many things right with the first Shift. They had such a good foundation to work with already..., but many (and rightfully IMO) feel they got duped because once again we're stuck with a release title where the physics (just like the first title) seriously need patched.., bugs and glitches galore (just like the first title).., almost NO information from them to consumers (just like before).

I think Shift-2 is going to fall down the way of Shift-1.., and it's a damn shame too. Shift-1 certainly got better with the patch updating. They've now made the exact same mistakes as they did with this latest release. Many are already returning it. The game clearly IS NOT what the developers had advertised in their marketing vids.

However.., I think that with proper patching Shift-2 is going to turn out to be a damn good racing game. The problem though is that the damage is already being done. Many people gave EA/SMS a second chance.., yet they're seeing an exact repeat of the first title. Quite sad really :indiff:

I have not experienced any lag, the floating at high speeds yes but no lag.

I fine tuned my S2000 and it took most of the floating away, i still don't understand this lag people are talking about. mess with the suspension and it will help

Last edited:
^ The steering lag is demonstrated in a couple of dedicated threads. If you're not bothered by it, consider yourself lucky :)

The "floating" that I experience is something which I think may be connected to the steering lag (said lag being the single biggest disappointment with the game!).

When going straight at high speeds even the slightest delay in the small corrective steering inputs may lead to a floating sensation, as in minimal slow weaving. I.e., slight, slow PIO is what I suspect appears as "floating" to me. I presume that if combined with a soft springy setup, this floating will be more pronounced.

DJ
--

Last edited:
I have finally given up on the game...gave it a fair shake to see if I'd like the game but nooope.

GT5 and Forza is a above and beyond better than Shift 2.

The game is not bad, not good but not bad. :lol:

drifting ... only with a DS3 ... most realistic ... does not compute ... does not compute. :lol:

still, it's better than shift1.

It's like a lottery, some cars you actually feel like your driving, some cars you feel like your riding. Some car sounds are awesome the rest are horrible, the modified rx7 FC sounded like a bicycle rattle. :lol:

I have finally given up on the game...gave it a fair shake to see if I'd like the game but nooope.

GT5 and Forza is a above and beyond better than Shift 2.

Wait for a patch, GT5 has had 8 and still needs more....

I will admit I am not very good at these racing games but I don't think the control of S2 is all that bad once the control settings are tweaked. To refresh my memory, I booted up my Xbox 360 and put in a few laps with the Forza 3 demo...yup, just as I remembered. I had one heck of a time keeping a fast car on the road. I know, I know, it's the "demo" but a quick Google found others complaining of same twitching control issues I am hearing on here regarding S2. I too was expecting more but the end result is a blast - even better if they patch the rough edges.

I dont know what the drama about the lag is( I have seen youtube vids) my ps3 and g27 dont have this problem, I have hit lvl 16(still low, but have driven the faster cars) and I am having a ball. The rwd cars take a bit of practice, but the gtr nissan, need for speed model, man that thing flys and handles like a slot car. Just practise,practise,practise and get a g27.

Well, NFS:S2 now permanently resides beside TDU:2 on my "redundant games" shelf. Both recent, both a waste of time and money.

There is no way of avoiding this: the physics are poor. The worst thing for me is the lack of feel at the limits of grip. It seems to be all or nothing, with no progressive feel to the build up of under/over-steer. Weight transfer is also an issue.

If you are looking for the "racing" experience (rather than the "driving"), F1 2010 does this well.

Back to GT5. As ever.

Why does the steering wheel go floppy on high speed corners but you can continue to steer just fine?

Also i have quickly gotten up to level 16/20 but the prizes for wins are so poor that I cannot afford any more cars until I eventually make it to the bonus at level 17 and even then I still can't afford anything decent. Do I REALLY have to grind in NFS to purchase cars????? The last one wasn't like this!

Anyone know how to make a million quickly before I throw this game into the trash?

Well, NFS:S2 now permanently resides beside TDU:2 on my "redundant games" shelf. Both recent, both a waste of time and money...
Back to GT5. As ever.

Couldn't have said it better myself. That's 40 quid I could have bought an ounce of silver with, and I could have sold it in a months' time at a profit.

Last edited:
I traded the game in just in time(7 days after purchase). I traded it in for Dragon Age 2. It's time to try out some different games besides racing and shooters for me. It sure was well worth the money though.

Shift 2 = lot of stress
No more Shift 2 = Hawaii relaxation status

I tried to like this game, but it resisted the whole time. I haven't raced a Viper or Exige before, but I highly doubt they lean like my Blazer. I see no difference in the game play then Shift 1, other then the night racing. I only got to the third set of races and gave up, I can't imagine racing the FIA cars. The DLC looked good, but I don't want to waste more money on something I don't even want. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I mean it's EA, I guess all there positive sneek peaks tricked me :grumpy:. I'd rather be playing Nascar 2011, which, this game will take a good chunck out of tomorrow.

I traded the game in just in time(7 days after purchase). I traded it in for Dragon Age 2. It's time to try out some different games besides racing and shooters for me. It sure was well worth the money though.

Shift 2 = lot of stress
No more Shift 2 = Hawaii relaxation status

Good for you!

Personally, i'm gonna keep this thing hoping for a fix with the lag. Oh, and the waterbound physics. I'm the ultimate optimist...well, i'm trying to be but I feel royally ripped off at the moment.

Good for you!

Personally, i'm gonna keep this thing hoping for a fix with the lag. Oh, and the waterbound physics. I'm the ultimate optimist. Well, i'm trying to be.

You are a saint, sir. I wish you well in your waiting game :lol:.

HAHAHAH THats funny right there Prostreet reference

you know, that game did alot of things right.
The GUI was easy to use even though it was severely lacking in detail, the customization was ALMOST on par with MC3: DE.
I actually wanted to tune and customize in PS, in Shift 2 it feels more like a chore.

It felt like i was almost involved in an actual race day some times too.
I don't get that feeling here. It would have been gret if they would have copied more then just the tracks...

Is PS worth picking up three years down the line? I read about the customisation depth earlier and for the low price I could pick it up for, it seems like it would offer some fun for not much outlay.

Is PS worth picking up three years down the line? I read about the customisation depth earlier and for the low price I could pick it up for, it seems like it would offer some fun for not much outlay.
I still go back to it to this day.
I know there are still a few guys running drags on the online still.
Pick it up, turn the announcer volume and music off, and enjoy.

Back