Anyone still play GT4?

After mucking around with GT PSP the past couple of months, I finally dug out my old PS2 and hooked it up to my TV. I’m surprised GT4 still looks pretty decent in 480p with component cables and I’m still loving the visual style.

Anyway, this time around on a new game save I treat the game more like a video game and am less concerned about the simulator angle and I’m having a blast. After getting silver in the licence tests bar the super licence, I’m following the path of @Mr.Slow and not spending any Cr. on cars nor upgrades.

I must say I’m loving the more casual play style this time round, not being concerned about Sports Medium tyres or running 1 pt. races. What a brilliant game, even 15 years after its first release!

Last edited:
I finally did it! Took me two hours but I think I've got a good grasp of GT4's physics after these runs. That R89C is a beauty!

IMG_9197.jpg

IMG_9213.jpg

Is Mission 34(NTSC version) actually possible to get Gold on? Many people in the past have said it's virtually impossible unless you're a mega alien spending hundreds of hours on the mission.

As of tonight, it's definitely possible ;)

Last edited:
Nice so there are still people playing GT4 let's make a discord server with active members??

I mean, this GT4 thread should be sufficient :)

I really wish there was a hack of some sort, that allowed us to play the game in multiplayer online via PCSX2

Base game GT4 didn't have online support. That was for the Online Test Versions which only had a limited number of copies released. Unless your referring to GT4's LAN mode, playing it online with XlinKai should be possible on an actual PS2. Emulation wise I'm not sure, though this video hints that there is a special build of PCXS2 out there that can run the LAN mode with other players.

Last edited:
Currently playing GT4 in 1080i mode via a component to HDMI converter and it looks great on my 16:9 23" computer monitor. Using a GT Driving Force wheel and pedal set. Still a fun game just like it was when purchased shortly after it was released back in 2005. This time around worked on building up B-Spec points which is handy for endurance and other races that are a bit too long for my liking.

I played GT5 and GT6 but for me the magic was gone. They just were not as fun as GT4. Never played GT Sport. I am considering GT7 but will probably wait about 6 months after release to allow time for PD to get the bugs and stability issues worked out based on issues with prior releases since GT5. I don't want to participate in their paid beta test program ;)

Last edited:
Don't remember if they count, but if you want to collect all the cars then it's better to gold the licenses. They're a pain for sure though ^^'

I still play this game, in fact I played it for the first time 4/5 years ago and really got into it 2 years ago. Some missions are crazy hard though. And the full lap licences are hell too.

I decided to start a new game from scratch, redoing all the license tests.

Since February 15, 2021, avoiding playing when my wife is around (i.e. not sleeping), and generally not doing excessive sessions, I've got my IB license. I also did Mission 1 to allow me to buy a used red 1986 Toyota Celica GT-Four. But I don't really have that much motivation to do any events.

Prior to starting the new game I completed at least one lap of test IA-15 (Nurburgring) but way over the needed time. I then switched to S16, also Nurburgring but no pace car, for which I happened to have the car in Arcade Mode so I could do sloppy laps to completion.

Eventually I passed S16 by a small margin. I then scrounged up memory card space to let me start a new game too.

Last edited:
Yes !! , I have played again, they have given me a Japanese PS2, with Japanese GT4, I love this game, I have also played the PAL version, I am missing the American PS2 console, I will look for it and I will also play GT4 the best game so far, Thank you all on GTPlanet

Yep, on my PS2 Slim. Admittedly, I don't play for too long each session; I get a little bored quickly because I don't find the driving physics very fun.

I'm jealous of you guys that can run the PS2 on a flat screen TV. I've bought 2 HDMI adaptors and neither one worked.

Someone here showed me exactly what to get, but it was not available in the US.

Started playing Gran Turismo 4 on my PC using pcsx2., Obtained all Licenses (B License to S License).
Doing the Pickup Truck Race using Dodge RAM Pickup on Beginners League.
It can easily garner 200 A-spec Points.
Finished some easier driving missions :) I have hard time doing Mission 23 to obtain the Pagani Zonda LM Race Car..

Last edited:
I can't pass the super license, maybe I'm just not skilled enough. I've been playing for 3 years straight, but I lost two game save files because of data corruption in those 3 years, so I've recently been racing a lot with a new save. Only 10% completion so far.

I can't pass the super license, maybe I'm just not skilled enough. I've been playing for 3 years straight, but I lost two game save files because of data corruption in those 3 years, so I've recently been racing a lot with a new save. Only 10% completion so far.
I am a mediocre player in terms of inate vidao game skills.

I started a new game of GT4 on February 15, 2021.
By March 17, 2021 I had all license tests completed (nearly all bronze)
except S-16 (Nurburgring).

I then, using an extra memory card, repeated that test until I had collected all colours of Cougars.

That took from Mar 19, 2021 to Mar 31, 2021.
Occasionally I would run the [R}RSC'02 at Amalfi to get more cash for buying the Cougars.
I learned that cars you buy via memory-card trade do not become available in Arcade Mode.

By March 31st, IF I FINISHED THE LAP, I was usually about 20 seconds under bronze.

After finishing that, I used the other memory card to give all colours of Lupo to that game.
That took until April 2, 2021.
I then took until April 3, 2021 to get all silver on my B license.

I did Missions 1-10 on April 3 and April 4, 2021.

Then I began my PLAN...

Take a Cougar won for my S license and clean up in the European 1000 Miles! series. (Bspec).

That's a good way to make Cr900.000. Eventually I demonstrated that, at least with the canonical first lineup, that prize Cougar could win the series with no modification.

I then focussed on 25% so there were long Endurance races to make money.

At one point I focussed on S-16 again, and did get silver, getting to the point where a finished lap was nearly alway silver. But I could not get closer than about five seconds above gold.

Then I remembered that in my first game I got gold on IA-15 and made that my focus for my most recent Christmas vacation. I managed it in early January 2022.

Funny thing, when I then went and tried S-16 again I had trouble getting even bronze (since I was used to the normal tires in IA-15).

I remember even before S-16, the street courses, especially Citta di 'Aria are very difficult.
S-16 is frustrating because each effort requires such a long time without going off the track.
You can make the car available in Arcade Mode by winning the European B series. And you only need an IB licence to enter that.

Last edited:
I'm still playing, it's one of my favorites, today I bought two sealed copies but the sealing is in poor condition, I'm happy anyway. :sly:
I expected to receive the scus-97328 but these are scus-90682 apparently from early 2006.

111.JPG

222.JPG

333.JPG

EDIT:
Disc Serial: SCUS-97328
EXE/Build Date: 2006-10-18
Version: 2.00

Last edited:
Just ordered GT4 prologue.

I will keep playing, keeping the dream alive.
GT7 looks nice, but until they give access to enduro's then it hold nothing for me. If GT4 had night and day, and weather, then for me it would be perfect.
I had a heart attack last year, and it really focuses you on spending time wisely. Hence, I'm not grinding in gt7 when I prefer GT4. :lol:

:lol::lol:

Gonna start another GT4 save later tonight, straight into license tests and a massive hit of nostalgia 😍

Fine graphically it’s pants. But hell there’s just something that pulls me back. Can’t put my finger on it but it is comfortable and looks good enough for me.

No, last time I played gt4 was in 2009 before my ps2 died, so me and my mom/dad had to take it to Best Buy so they could destroy it.

Last edited:
Back