Anyone still play GT4?

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 4' started by ZDUPH, Mar 30, 2015.

1. ItsHim

ItsHim Premium

After mucking around with GT PSP the past couple of months, I finally dug out my old PS2 and hooked it up to my TV. I’m surprised GT4 still looks pretty decent in 480p with component cables and I’m still loving the visual style.

Anyway, this time around on a new game save I treat the game more like a video game and am less concerned about the simulator angle and I’m having a blast. After getting silver in the licence tests bar the super licence, I’m following the path of @Mr.Slow and not spending any Cr. on cars nor upgrades.

I must say I’m loving the more casual play style this time round, not being concerned about Sports Medium tyres or running 1 pt. races. What a brilliant game, even 15 years after its first release!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    goongumps likes this.
  2. goongumps

goongumps

I finally did it! Took me two hours but I think I've got a good grasp of GT4's physics after these runs. That R89C is a beauty!

IMG_9197.jpg
    IMG_9213.jpg

As of tonight, it's definitely possible ;)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Lizzie97 and Drayenko like this.
  3. Lizzie97

Lizzie97

Nice so there are still people playing GT4 let's make a discord server with active members??

4. isamu

isamu

I really wish there was a hack of some sort, that allowed us to play the game in multiplayer online via PCSX2

5. goongumps

goongumps

I mean, this GT4 thread should be sufficient :)

Base game GT4 didn't have online support. That was for the Online Test Versions which only had a limited number of copies released. Unless your referring to GT4's LAN mode, playing it online with XlinKai should be possible on an actual PS2. Emulation wise I'm not sure, though this video hints that there is a special build of PCXS2 out there that can run the LAN mode with other players.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  6. Lizzie97

Lizzie97

We can make like challenges, taking a car, tuning it and setting the best times or so, like the old times!

goongumps likes this.
  7. LGT42

LGT42

Currently playing GT4 in 1080i mode via a component to HDMI converter and it looks great on my 16:9 23" computer monitor. Using a GT Driving Force wheel and pedal set. Still a fun game just like it was when purchased shortly after it was released back in 2005. This time around worked on building up B-Spec points which is handy for endurance and other races that are a bit too long for my liking.

I played GT5 and GT6 but for me the magic was gone. They just were not as fun as GT4. Never played GT Sport. I am considering GT7 but will probably wait about 6 months after release to allow time for PD to get the bugs and stability issues worked out based on issues with prior releases since GT5. I don't want to participate in their paid beta test program ;)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  8. visotw

visotw

Recently started playing GT4 again

9. MadMax97

MadMax97

Cool interiors lol

Btw I still play GT4 it's an amazing game, best in series with GT6

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  10. Spitfiredwod

Spitfiredwod

Finally, after years, I've returned to GT4. Man this game has an awesome soundtrack, and the visuals are still impressively good for a PS2 game.

[​IMG]

Not excited about trying to gold 80 license tests though. Bleh.

11. LGT42

LGT42

Then don't do the gold tests. As I understand gold licenses do not count toward 100% game completion - please correct me if I am wrong on that.

12. submaniac93

submaniac93

Don't remember if they count, but if you want to collect all the cars then it's better to gold the licenses. They're a pain for sure though ^^'

13. LuxKiller65

LuxKiller65

I still play this game, in fact I played it for the first time 4/5 years ago and really got into it 2 years ago. Some missions are crazy hard though. And the full lap licences are hell too.

14. Reameb

Reameb

Got the Japanese version running again and will try the same as on my NTSC-U/C save. Just finished golding B License.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

goongumps likes this.
  15. SportWagon

SportWagon Premium

I decided to start a new game from scratch, redoing all the license tests.

Since February 15, 2021, avoiding playing when my wife is around (i.e. not sleeping), and generally not doing excessive sessions, I've got my IB license. I also did Mission 1 to allow me to buy a used red 1986 Toyota Celica GT-Four. But I don't really have that much motivation to do any events.

Prior to starting the new game I completed at least one lap of test IA-15 (Nurburgring) but way over the needed time. I then switched to S16, also Nurburgring but no pace car, for which I happened to have the car in Arcade Mode so I could do sloppy laps to completion.

Eventually I passed S16 by a small margin. I then scrounged up memory card space to let me start a new game too.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    goongumps likes this.
  16. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester

17. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester

Untitled.png

goongumps likes this.