Anyone still play GT4?

I got back into the game a few months ago and have been trying to get as many A-spec points as I can and collect all the cars. The events thread has been a massive help for everything and I'm now somewhere around 65,000 points without a single B-spec mile. I took a pretty long break (a month or so) after I finished one of the Le Mans 24 hour races. Anybody else around doing the same thing?

After grinding GT6 to death, nothing was able to satisfy my racing needs with everyday cars. I was just bored of 600hp+ races, because in reality i am giving it to potent small cars on the weekends. So there was no other option than playing GT4.

Even though the graphics and sound might feel a bit dated, i immediately fell in love with this game again, and after minutes into it, the graphics felt somehow current gen... i was drawn in again.

I am playing nothing else at the moment, this game is just the best racing game of them all. And i own all the new and older ones (AC, FM7, FH4, you name it). Nearly every new game does many things better than GT4. But when it comes to the "being a game" factor it is unbeaten yet! :)

I'm still playing GT4 and I started new game on it few days ago with G27 steering wheel. I'm trying to get gold in every licence test.
Hi - In the year of 2019 I still find Gt4 fun. Always used different handcontrollers to get gold for the certificates, except for two obvious. I must try G27 also to see the end of it. Please help me to connect the wheel for Ps2. What do I need to get started and how do I manage the settings for GT4?

@Amazon if you're playing on an actual PS2 console, I know my 2005 PS2 Slim recognizes the G27 right away (and is considered by GT4 as a Driving Force Pro or one of the other compatible wheels in the game's settings). I'm assuming an older PS2 would also work right away. If you're on emulator, you'll need to get a plugin called USBqemu and find a tutorial on how to set it up. It took some fiddling around, but I did get it to work back in 2016.

I wish someone could tell me how to get the PS2 to work properly on an HDTV. The input lag with GT4 is horrible. Someone from Europe gave me the name of a device that worked for him but I was unable to get that in the states. The closest thing I found did not work.

I'm still playing GT4 and I started new game on it few days ago with G27 steering wheel. I'm trying to get gold in every licence test.
I wish someone could tell me how to get the PS2 to work properly on an HDTV. The input lag with GT4 is horrible. Someone from Europe gave me the name of a device that worked for him but I was unable to get that in the states. The closest thing I found did not work.
Hi. You need a Ps2 composite cable to get the 1080 pixels out. The default signal is around 720. You must also have a HD-TV with a scart connection. I don't think Any HDMI work on the Ps2. The lag is horrible when you drive GT4. I believe there is half a second delay between what you see and what's real. It's OK If you only want to watch replays in a proudly manner.

@Amazon if you're playing on an actual PS2 console, I know my 2005 PS2 Slim recognizes the G27 right away (and is considered by GT4 as a Driving Force Pro or one of the other compatible wheels in the game's settings). I'm assuming an older PS2 would also work right away. If you're on emulator, you'll need to get a plugin called USBqemu and find a tutorial on how to set it up. It took some fiddling around, but I did get it to work back in 2016.
I have 2 fine Ps2 consols - thick ones. When I tried the wheel settings the upper steering post was grey. The wheel is OK in Windows 10. The only movement I could get was when I connected it from start. The it moved a couple of times. I tested this with a HDMI transformation and a new TV. I will try this again with my old thick-TV and see if it works.
Thank you so much for the answer. Didn't think the interest was big enough.

Just started playing again on emulation. Done 2 licenses a few Arcade races and halfway through beginner cups. What cars do i need for RWD, lightweight and MR? I haven't brought anything yet and I've got about 25,000 cr

Last time i went back i had a PS2, a 720p plasma and G27. It played and looked great then. Now on Emulation at 1440p with a 360 controller it's great all over again! (After a fair bit of controller tweaking that is)

Of late I have also been going back to GT4 more and more often. Having the NTSC version allows it to run racing and replays in 1080i as many know without any PS2 modifications. It is a pretty darn good graphics display considering the games age. It also has a great photo mode which I like and offers all those great ol’ GT circuits with plenty of cars too. Retro gaming is becoming more and more popular and as I play exclusively GT 3-4-5-6 I kept my 1080P big screen and PS2-PS3. I have also read complaints that many 4K TV’s don’t like or fare well with the old PS2-PS3 consoles and games. GT4 just has that warm feeling about it and never seems to get boring like those other online real money grabbing online games. Especially having to buy all that extra stuff such as a new 4K TV, wheel, pedals, sign up charges, DLC charges, etc, and the piggy bank shrinkage list goes on and on...

CD47362F-0604-4163-89CD-E4FFCDE5D5F3.jpeg

Of late I have also been going back to GT4 more and more often. Having the NTSC version allows it to run racing and replays in 1080i as many know without any PS2 modifications. It is a pretty darn good graphics display considering the games age. It also has a great photo mode which I like and offers all those great ol’ GT circuits with plenty of cars too. Retro gaming is becoming more and more popular and as I play exclusively GT 3-4-5-6 I kept my 1080P big screen and PS2-PS3. I have also read complaints that many 4K TV’s don’t like or fare well with the old PS2-PS3 consoles and games. GT4 just has that warm feeling about it and never seems to get boring like those other online real money grabbing online games. Especially having to buy all that extra stuff such as a new 4K TV, wheel, pedals, sign up charges, DLC charges, etc, and the piggy bank shrinkage list goes on and on...

View attachment 886994
The car looks pretty happy with itself. Is that El Capitan, probably my favourite course in the entire series?

The 1080i thing is eh, a gimmick, it’s not “true” 1080i... and I suspect it was removed from the PAL version because RGB SCART doesn’t seem to support progressive (or anything above 576i/480i). That’s not to say the game isn’t insanely detailed for a PS2 title... it kinda proves the worth of those older computers and consoles in a way, though: further into their lifespan we see more impressive stuff pushed onto them over time. The PS2 is a great example, even comparing GT2000 graphics to GT3 graphics.

Well I don't use the RCB cables for GT4 in 1080i, rather, I use the component HDMI cables. With that said, yes I have some old videos that I could post sometime that are unaltered and look really detailed in my NTSC 1080i mode even though they were filmed right off my older plasma TV screen with a older iPhone. The Option Stream photo seems to be right after the El Capitan tunnel into that jump area heading back downhill. I was there in Nevada when Jun crashed and at the time hardly could believe he walked away from what I viewed. It was one of my favorite cars in GT4, not because of performance, but the livery and those colors it just looked so cool to me and my grandson at that time. I became a pic collector of the car and that photo is one of them... Here's some of my fav others of which some I took and some are that of others. The crashed car was a bit different in livery than that of the GT4 car, but I also have show photos of the GT4 car which are the real deal. Also a link to the actual crash video...

Nissan OPTION Stream Z '04 (1).jpg
Nissan OPTION Stream Z '04 (2).jpg
Nissan OPTION Stream Z '04 (3).jpg
Nissan OPTION Stream Z '04 (4).jpg
Nissan OPTION Stream Z '04 (5).jpg
Nissan OPTION Stream Z '04 (6).jpg
Nissan OPTION Stream Z '04 (7).jpg
Nissan OPTION Stream Z '04 (8).jpg
Nissan OPTION Stream Z '04 (9).jpg
Nissan OPTION Stream Z '04 (10).jpg
Nissan OPTION Stream Z '04 (11).jpg
Option Stream Z Nevada Crash (1).jpg
Option Stream Z Nevada Crash (2).jpg
Option Stream Z Nevada Crash (3).jpg
Real Option Stream Z (1).jpg
Real Option Stream Z (2).jpg

Last edited:
That livery is cool... and wow, that video is pretty mind blowing, I can’t say any more really about it but the car deserves to have its wrecked body kept preserved for basically saving that guy’s life with its safety quite honestly (top comment says he burst the tyre at over 300kph, and then rolled over at 240kph)... makes me think really.

Design wise it reminds me of the orange Silvia from GT2, a car I really like actually. I also happen to like the colour orange, it doesn’t suit road cars often but it sure looks good on racing models :)

I've been playing since the game came out. My grandfather was big into simulation games and my aunt (his daughter) got him a PS2 with GT4 for his birthday in the beginning of 2005. He lived in my neighborhood and I would run down to his house to play a few times a week. I remember doing endurance races on B-Spec, leaving the PS2 sitting out on his carpet and asking him not to touch it until I came back a day or two later. :lol:

They moved away a few years later and left me with the PS2, but the A/V cables got lost somehow and I didn't play for quite some time. At some point, I sold most of my games. In 2015, I got into emulation and began buying some games back and burning them to my PC. Been playing GT3 and GT4 on and off since then, though I've had to make new saves since I never figured out how to transfer everything from my old cards over to the PC. However, I never really did another playthrough until this year. Started with GT3 and made it through 80% of the game until my save corrupted. Switched to GT4 and have been playing a lot the past few days, gotten to around 30% completion. I've gotten all golds on the license tests and have been grinding a few to try and get into the top 10 on the Cyberscore leaderboards. Both GT's are great, though GT4 does have quite a few quality of life improvements over its predecessor that make it more fun to play overall. Emulation obviously doesn't offer the same kind of analog experience of changing discs and hitting the power button, but it's so convenient, high quality, and offers great control of video, audio, and controller settings. Memory cards are no longer limited. There are some quirks, but GT4 is one of the most demanding games to emulate on the PS2. You have to change a setting to access license tests without crashing the game, for example, and I can't get photo mode to work properly no matter what I do. Still worth it.

I'm still nursing my launchday Ps3. The GT4 disk never leaves it. Because of the heat problems the fat boys had, I never cycle it. Have extra fans blowing on it. But I still play GT4 every chance I can. Still have that damn Mission 34 to beat.

Compared to today's racing sims, GT4 has its flaws. It's always day during 24 hour races. It doesn't simulate car damage, and the physics(although it was remarkable for its time; like every other part of the game) isn't quite perfect. And I also miss racing modifications. However, I still think GT4 is the best Gran Turismo game. It has some flaws but most of the game is so great that it outshines the drawbacks by a mile.

I switched on GT4 the other night and decided to try and get Gold on all of the licence tests that I hadn't done before (there were quite a few) to try and get back into the way of the handling. I found the steering too quick to react with the analogue stick that I went back to the D-pad and so found I wasn't very fast when it came to racing. I'll have to build that speed back up. I do have a Driving Force Pro I'd need to set up again and try too.

This on a game save that has existed since I got the game when it was released. 100% complete but with no regard for A-spec points. I think I have about 52 or 53 Golds left to get.

But discussing it on anything else is against the terms of the forum. And likely to get you a ban, since the sticky is right here in this forum. Has been there ever since I joined.

I switched on GT4 the other night and decided to try and get Gold on all of the licence tests that I hadn't done before (there were quite a few) to try and get back into the way of the handling. I found the steering too quick to react with the analogue stick that I went back to the D-pad and so found I wasn't very fast when it came to racing. I'll have to build that speed back up. I do have a Driving Force Pro I'd need to set up again and try too.

This on a game save that has existed since I got the game when it was released. 100% complete but with no regard for A-spec points. I think I have about 52 or 53 Golds left to get.

Good luck! Some of the tests in this game are hard! I managed to gold all test before and complete mission 34 but that was 12 years ago! My data got corrupted years ago and lost my file ugh! I'd honestly just stick with the DFP it's way better than a controller.

I'm replaying GT4 right now. I started a fresh file three days ago as I love the presentation, music, and overall vibe and options in this GT. I'm using the DFP and have gotten golds on B, A, and IB so far.. starting IA tomorrow. I'm seriously scared of Mission 34 still.

Good luck! Some of the tests in this game are hard! I managed to gold all test before and complete mission 34 but that was 12 years ago! My data got corrupted years ago and lost my file ugh! I'd honestly just stick with the DFP it's way better than a controller.

I'm replaying GT4 right now. I started a fresh file three days ago as I love the presentation, music, and overall vibe and options in this GT. I'm using the DFP and have gotten golds on B, A, and IB so far.. starting IA tomorrow. I'm seriously scared of Mission 34 still.

Thanks, same to you!

Thankfully I have completed all of the missions, I do just have to gold all of the licence tests. 53 left to do as of yesterday. For some reason I couldn't (maybe be bothered) get all gold in the B licence but managed to do it in A. Weird.

For those of you who have done a lot or all of the races, @2_FAST_4_U, @GTPVenomZombie, @fordlaser, would you be able to check the status of your trophy for the Motegi Super Speedway 150 mile enduro? I was checking through all mine and for some reason, for that race, even though I've won it (I checked back in the race diary to confirm) the trophy is showing as bronze. I'll have to try running it again and see if it changes or if it's a bug.

Cheers.:cheers:

Back