apple iphone 3gs vs nokia n97

• Thread starter keeno_uk
  • 7 comments
United Kingdom
London
hi guys been awhile since i posted on gtplanet but i need some opinions before i make a decision iphone 3gs or nokia n97 which is better if you could answer that would be welcomed by me thank you

I love my iPhone 3G, it does everything I want and more. I find it extremely easy to use and I love the massive amount of developer support with it. Pretty much you name it and I can get an app for it. The only issue I have is with AT&T's coverage area some of the time, but since you are in the UK I'm not sure what the service is like or what companies you can go with.

I'm not that familiar with the Nokia so I can't really comment on it.

I'm not as familiar with the N97 as I should be, but I see that its has a touch screen, a physical keyboard, as well as the Symbian OS. I'd predict it to be fairly typical, not bad, but when you're paying that kind of money for a new phone (let alone the contract fees)... Why wouldn't you get the iPhone?

I guess I'd look at it this way: The 3GS has its fair share of problems. Ask yourself if you're willing to deal with the atrocious battery life, the ability for it to get hot enough to burst into flames, the Apple-ness of it all, as well as the rather poor AT&T network. If you're willing to put up with most of that, given the fact that you otherwise have the best phone on the market right now (not just hardware, but software as well), then you should be sold on the iPhone.

If you're looking for a value competitor to the iPhone, check out the E71x. The form and function balance is spot-on, and I absolutely love the look and feel of the phone. Problem is, you still have to pay iPhone prices for the contract. And that sucks. Big time. Then it becomes a question of how much you want to invest, and how much you're paying over time.

I guess I'd look at it this way: The 3GS has its fair share of problems. Ask yourself if you're willing to deal with the atrocious battery life, the ability for it to get hot enough to burst into flames, the Apple-ness of it all, as well as the rather poor AT&T network. If you're willing to put up with most of that, given the fact that you otherwise have the best phone on the market right now (not just hardware, but software as well), then you should be sold on the iPhone.

I've got a 3gs and:

1. Battery is fine. If you use it as a normal phone it can last days. Compared to the original Touch Diamond (my previous phone) the battery infact is excellent.
2. The issue with iphones getting hot (from memory it was a shuffle that exploded in somebody's pocket recently) was only with those manufactured in the first week of release. No issues with any manufactured now

Anyhow to answer the OP. I hate apple yet I still purchased an iphone(my only ipod product I previously liked was the 3g ipod nano that was an excellent tiny mp3 player that has since been ruined by becoming bigger again)

Iphone has an excellent UI and great software support (main selling point for me) which my other alternatives (N97 and HTC Touch Diamond 2) lacked.

In comparison, the N97 while having a touch screen, it doesn't work that well. The menu's aren't anywhere as easy to use. The OS is a bit outdated now. Nokia basically has struggled to come up with something innovative and worth purchasing in 2 years now. They very much are lagging behind the market. N97 has 2 main things that you may prefer. 1. excellent camera. 2. slide out keyboard.

Apart from that though it isn't really worth considering as it brings nothing new and performs no better than its competitors.

Havent read the thread, but I just ordered an IPhone 3GS 16GB because I could extend my contract again... and I had a hard time deciding between a high-end Blackberry or the IPhone 3GS.... after a long and hard decision process I decided to get the Apple... Even though I despise using Apple computers for some reason. Was always forced to use those CRAPPY Macintoshes when I was in middle school I remember... ever since then I hated them.. LOL... but thats a bit off topic... on topic: I cant wait to get my IPhone and Im curious as to how it will be... I'll give a little update when I do get it (2-8 week delivery time :() with my findings.. 👍

Cheers for the advice guys truth is I upgraded to the 3gs cause o2 will not sell the n97 due to skype aplication so i've been using it for awhile and I have to say i'm impressed with it however my main discomfort has always been iTunes I used to have a nano and I liked it despite not being able to setup my own playlists an issue I'm having with this one aswell anyways I'll make my final decision today cause my mate has the n97 so a little bit of testing and comparison will give me my final decision thanks guys I'm actually using the iPhone to be on gtplanet on the train lol not too bad hope I don't get mugged cheers everyone

Back