April Alpinestars DLC pack

• Thread starter sega freak
  • 148 comments
The whole point of the Gran-Turismo-clone genre is to offer street cars that anyone could own, with some expensive exotics and a small sample of racecars to spice things up.

I kinda disagree with this. By default there are a lot more road car variants than race cars, so naturally it's easier to include more of those.

These games include such a wide variety of cars from; Pikes peaks hill climb cars to Japanese silhouette cars to a Renault F1 Espace to a Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz land yacht

I think the ratio is about even when comparing race and road cars. Sure they could add more race cars, but they could add a hell of a lot more road cars too. Forza still has no Kei cars for example :ill: maybe because they feel race cars add more worth.

Forza is definitely very sportscar-oriented compared to Gran Turismo. As far as racecars go, their history isn't nearly as well-represented as roadcars, I think. Most of the homologated classics and touring cars you have to build and paint yourself, and prototypes are heavily biased toward cars from the past decade.

At any rate, I can totally understand how the game isn't a huge draw for big motorsports fans like Jamezinho.

I'm a bit confused as to why someone who wants to play (lets face it) a racing game which both Forza and GT are sold as and wants to race cars that are racing currently has to be a gamer rather than a car person?

Racecars are cars so why the distinction? I love GT1 racing and Corvettes have been my favorite post 2000 yet I do enjoy racing prototypes and other types of racecar. To me upgrading and racing road cars just isn't the same, I'm playing the game to race and I want to race cars that are fast, loud and have power. Driving a Z06 in Forza just doesn't tickle the same part of my brain that a GT1 C6.R does.

I pondering the other day about the Shift 2 works conversions and it struck me. Biggest issue with that and Forza style of game is thus. THe shift 2 works conversions were in the main (correct me if wrong) fictional designs, al be it based on how you should imagine a works converted car to look, but not officially endorsed.
Now Forza dosent do fictional bar the forza aero kit.

Also its only when you start to explore the Race cars from R3 to R1 in forza that i sort of thought, hmmm I see why turn 10 do this, by reason or by time saving, its good that a select few cars are actual works converted as it makes owning them seem more special...IMO.

but yeah Shifts Works cars were sublime touch...but i can see more now why forza almost dosent need the option..

Thank goodness I only like cars that have wheels ;)

I'm with you :) I'm just as happy racing an LMP1 as I am taking a Muscle car up the strip (which I hope T10 take to the next level) to racing these....

MC2008-R3-04.jpg

... mini challenge cars, which are little more than standard Cooper S' on coilover suspension. It's all racing to me, 1st one to cross the line holds up the trophy on the highest podium.

but yeah Shifts Works cars were sublime touch...but i can see more now why forza almost dosent need the option..
I absolutely disagree with this. Of course, naming such a thing "works conversion" wouldn't ne the most clever things to do. However, turning a car into a race car is nothing but the next (logical) step in terms of upgrading and tuning a car.

If I can build a car that's very similar to, say, a vehicle that would fall into Redline Time Attack's Street Tire class, or the Modified class, why shouldn't I be able to also create something that would fit into the Super Modified class?

Swapping, say, an AWD drivetrain into a Viper is no less fictional than the works conversion, by the way. I'd also doubt that all of the upgrades are actually representative of the real world. I highly doubt that T10 dyno'd every combination of engine upgrades on every car.

So, if I'm able to do all kinds of upgrades that have no obvious connection to real life, why not do the next step and go with visually modified cockpits and more extensive aero options and wide body kits, as typically seen on race cars - and home-built Time Attack cars, for example.

its just the amount of content they need to generate for that to happen. it is a bit unrealistic to expect three times as much modelling and texturing work for the same amount of cars in forza 6, while still charging at the current price point. i am more than willing to pay 80usd for that but most of the market wont, even if personally i think it is more than justified.

True, it would take a lot of work.

However, I think you could narrow the amount of available cars down somewhat. The race cars don't need that treatment, obviously, and you could likely forgoe the SUVs and maybe even most of the 'oddball' cars, as well as cars that have a racing version in the game already.

... mini challenge cars, which are little more than standard Cooper S' on coilover suspension. It's all racing to me, 1st one to cross the line holds up the trophy on the highest podium.
SCCA Showroom Stock, and any other series where the cars don't just resemble street cars but are actually derived from them, are the track racing series that appeal to me most. But my favorite to watch is rally racing.

So, if I'm able to do all kinds of upgrades that have no obvious connection to real life, why not do the next step and go with visually modified cockpits and more extensive aero options and wide body kits, as typically seen on race cars - and home-built Time Attack cars, for example.
Race Weight Reduction removes the passenger seat, but that's about it. Wide body kits are overdue to be added to the Forza series.

I'm a bit confused as to why someone who wants to play (lets face it) a racing game which both Forza and GT are sold as and wants to race cars that are racing currently has to be a gamer rather than a car person?
I think I get where Populuxe Cowboy was going. It's not about "gamer vs car person" as much as "motorsports fan vs driver." Not that motorsports fans can't enjoy going out for a drive, but there are some who are only engaged in the motorsports side of things, and may not enjoy driving outside of a track.

I think there's some aspect of the physics (or maybe even graphics) engine that's preventing wide body kits. I mean, they can't even model different offset wheels on the same vehicle, nor does the offset change when you widen the tires.

Agreed. One of the most endearing features of Shift 2 was the car customisation, and I would be happy with a much smaller car list in Forza if it had those kind of options. I didn't really care that the works conversions weren't officially endorsed/licenced, they looked realistic enough to me. The ability to take any road car and convert it into a full-on race car really helped heighten the immersion of that game.

Even GT5 has the race mod conversion on a select few cars. That's something at least, and I wish Forza looked into doing this too.

The trouble with Forza (and GT5) is that although I can do all manner of performance and handling upgrades to the car, it's still a stock car with some rather limited aero bolted on and a standard 'road' interior. As someone that always races using cockpit view, it takes me away from the feeling of driving a fast, highly modified car when I've got the stock steering wheel, dash, sat-nav, etc...in front of me.

I agree 100%, Jamezinho.

The biggest difference is that you can't make most cars handle anywhere near as well as a full blown race car. Not that that is unexpected, given that you can't lighten them as much as you should be able to, I'd say, you can't widen the track at all... Well, and the most obvious thing: The actual race cars get much, much more downforce.

So, you take a car you like, and you'll rather soon run out of handling upgrades. And that kinda limits many, many cars. Especially since I would love to see cars that resemble, say, the N2 AE86. And while Shift 2's work conversions weren't anything official, they were, as Jamezinho sad, realistic enough. More realistic, at the very least, than some of the swaps you can perform in FM4.

Last but not least, there are a few cars that, I think, could be cut without causing too much of a hassel, if necessary. I actually expect that to happen for a next-gen Forza release. Simply because, well, you can tell the difference between cars that have been added with FM1 or 2 and the ones that are the most recent...

However, I think you could narrow the amount of available cars down somewhat. The race cars don't need that treatment, obviously, and you could likely forgoe the SUVs and maybe even most of the 'oddball' cars, as well as cars that have a racing version in the game already.

That idea is what spawned the premium/standard car issue. I'd rather not.

Not quite. At least if it's done as individual upgrades, since not all upgrades are available to all cars, anyways. That way, you could gradually apply the parts you wanted, which would be a big plus.

I do get the feeling the upgrades for the 300sl "Fat pig" and the 155 "DTM" are a hint towards wide arch upgrades for a future forza game. Hopefully I'm not reading into it wrongly, and hopefully if they do provide this feature, at the same time they provide staggered wheel offsets front and rear.

One final hope is that they only use wide arch options from real manufacturers. I'm not that keen on some of the "Forza aero" looks, I doubt I would be with "Forza wide arches" either if they end up looking like a cheap Chinese knock off items.

With wide arches, they ideally need to have two options, one with blistered arches and one silhouette racer style so it looks like it escaped from the Super GT series.

I absolutely disagree with this. Of course, naming such a thing "works conversion" wouldn't ne the most clever things to do. However, turning a car into a race car is nothing but the next (logical) step in terms of upgrading and tuning a car.

If I can build a car that's very similar to, say, a vehicle that would fall into Redline Time Attack's Street Tire class, or the Modified class, why shouldn't I be able to also create something that would fit into the Super Modified class?

Swapping, say, an AWD drivetrain into a Viper is no less fictional than the works conversion, by the way. I'd also doubt that all of the upgrades are actually representative of the real world. I highly doubt that T10 dyno'd every combination of engine upgrades on every car.

Wherever theres a point......you can be sure your missing it....:boggled:

I mean yes the modified works conversion is great in Shift, but then in forza you tune up your merc or audi s4 as high as you can go, and if you want it to that next level....well buy the DTM car....
Thats sort of the point in forza.
I was long an advocate of the shift works conversions, but really now its not a massive priority.

Wherever theres a point......you can be sure your missing it....:boggled:

I mean yes the modified works conversion is great in Shift, but then in forza you tune up your merc or audi s4 as high as you can go, and if you want it to that next level....well buy the DTM car....
Ever tried that with a Golf R, SilviaGT-R, AE86, S2000, Civic, Mustang, Camaro, RX-7 or any other of the myriad of cars that do not have a racing version on the game.
Thats sort of the point in forza.
Given the vast possiblities for customization and the fact that Forza is about racing cars, among others, I can hardly see why it wouldn't be the point of Forza to modify your car in order to race.

That is what we are doing already, anyways. Allowing us to entirely strip the interior, add more aero options and widen the cars is exactly the same as we are doing now - just more of it.
I was long an advocate of the shift works conversions, but really now its not a massive priority.
Not a massive priority, true. But, as far as actual gameplay goes, it is much higher on my priority list than, say, dirt racing, weather or dynamic time change.

Turn 10 are always aware of what other games are doing so I am sure that a works conversion(maybe for 200 cars) along with helmet cam will be in the next game.

I wholeheartedly agree that Forza needs some sort of system like Shift's Works Conversion and GT's Racing Modification.

The generic racing front bumber and spoiler looks out of place on some cars and just looks boring when seeing it on everything after a while. And unfortunately, I have to look at this because I need the downforce to control my more powerful cars. And I can't help but get a little turned off having a highly upgraded car with a livery and look inside to see the car's normal interior is still there.

I have one code to give away guys. But I will not give it just like that. If you want it, you need to answer one simple question - what is the name and location of my hometown? I want the name of the city, the voivodeship and the country. If you can use Google, you'll find it in no time ;)

That would be too easy ;)

Oh, one more thing - if you know the answer, send me the PM. Don't want to spam this thread.

Been working on a livery for the volvo and I have to say it looks to be a livery nightmare. Weird things are going on like bleed over with shapes and the dent protection strips can't be painted. :( So get ready to have a big grey strip going all around your livery that you can't paint over. Front aero is another bummer. Disappointing.

Back