April update

• Thread starter NJ72
  • 112 comments
Magog

The payouts are better than Sport when it launched and plenty good enough for me to already own half the cars in the game without grinding.
The Sport argument is a bit of a cop-out because if you're comparing the economy to Sport, you should be drawing comparisons to its EoL state.
Predatory? Exploitive? Again, it's easy to earn a reasonable amount of cash just playing the game. Anyone who would pay for credits has more money than sense and would have spent it poorly elsewhere anyway.
Currently, it takes 10 years to buy every car in the game if you play for 10 hours a day (IIRC, I think @Samus did the calculations). That is not fun. That's a job. Even if you stuck five GT Leagues together, you'd still end up grinding for years. And what's there to save you the trouble, to break the monotony of doing the same race, over and over? Microtransactions! In just a few seconds, you can wash away your troubles with bundles of virtual cash, the exchange rate of which is legendarily awful.

And so right now, if you want to collect every car in the game - something the game pushes you towards - you either grind for years or pay up. That's why it's exploitative. And no, wanting to be able to obtain every car in less than 10 years doesn't mean I want them in two weeks, either. And 10 years is the best case scenario. Realistically it'd be more like 15.

**** that.
Unfinished? Goes without saying. They were upfront that the game would continue to be added to over time which I actually prefer.
Not an excuse. Do some games release with less content with the intention of adding more over time? Yes, but that doesn't make it a good practice. A live service game could be chock full of content to begin with, and then more added over time. It's just that many of them launch half-baked and put a bunch of content behind a paywall.

Forza Horizon is a good example of this done right. You get plenty to do on day one, with new cars and events releasing over the next couple of years.
If everything coming in the next 7 years was already in the game it would be less exciting than anticipating and enjoying the new drops over time.
Not really, because the developers would then work on new content and features. If you take GT7 in 2029 and have it be launch GT7, you could get another 7 years out of it. Because there's no limit as to how much they can add (besides storage space, but compression is good these days and the SSD helps out a lot, too).

With that said, PD has responded with an update that hopefully amends the economy and should decrease the amount of grinding necessary to own and tune a large collection of cars, so kudos to them for listening, though it shouldn't have been like this in the first place. Greed by either party, I'm not sure who greenlit them - is why GT7's economy is the way it is.

Last edited:
You (and the very few others like you) seem willing to excuse way too much of what Sony and PD have been up to.

Straight question: why did PD hide the game economy/mtx from pre-launch reviewers? Answer honestly.

Show bit of good grace and thank the complainers for making the game better. For you too. You did nothing to improve things. At. All. And now you’re slinging words like ‘bully’ and ‘harassment’ around too. Shame.

Dude. You're not a war hero for review bombing a game. I have given constructive criticism of the economy here and to PD on their social media. 🙄

I haven’t review bombed anything ever. Good on all the people who did though. I’m gonna get an improved game out of it. You are too. Wanna thank them all with me?
No because I think it will do long term damage to the brand and the series. They already had plans for more races with higher payouts.

No because I think it will do long term damage to the brand and the series. They already had plans for more races with higher payouts.

What might damage the brand/series in the long term is that they tried to get away with an overhyped substandard game. If even a defender like you was giving them ‘constructive criticism’ (see three posts above) it must be bad, right? That’s on Sony/PD/Kaz, not the people who pointed it out and complained. I think it’ll be fine if they genuinely rectify things though, let’s see what they do. It will have to be more than a few more races with better payouts tho.

Edit: PS Why is your criticism ok, by the way, but you want everyone else to shut up, lest long term damage to the brand should occur?

Last edited:
It really won't, the brand's reputation will still stay strong, it's the launch and the sudden payout nerfs that ruffled feathers, but otherwise, it'll all return to normal, with everyone praising Kaz and the gang for creating a fantabulous game.

It looked like Polyphony was dipping their toes with the MTX, seeing how much the community was willing to put up with it, seeing what Polyphony could and couldn't get away with. Sure, they are going to increase payouts, but nerfing them for the first time in the series ever has left a sour taste in everyone's mouth. I don't like review bombing either, but it clearly woke up Polyphony, and I don't blame the community for acting the way it has.

Edit: a word

Last edited:
It really won't, the brand's reputation will still stay strong, it's the launch and the sudden payout nerfs that ruffled feathers, but otherwise, it'll all return to normal, with everyone praising Kaz and the gang for creating a fantabulous game.

It looked like Polyphony was dipping their toes with the MTX, seeing how much the community was willing to put up with it, seeing what Polyphony could and couldn't get away with. Sure, they are going to increase payouts, but nerfing them for the first time in the series ever has left a sour taste in everyone's mouth. I don't like review bombing either, but it clearly woke up Polyphony, and I don't blame the community for acting the way it has.

Edit: a word

People who look up the game intending on making purchasing decision will see the awful user review score and may stay away. Future iterations of the series may suffer poor sales from the huge over reaction to a one day outage and slight credit adjustment. Future updates may be halted because of a drop in sales. Kaz may leave after being turned on by the community. Polyphony may be shur down even if the backlash is too much to recover from.

People who look up the game intending on making purchasing decision will see the awful user review score and may stay away. Future iterations of the series may suffer poor sales from the huge over reaction to a one day outage and slight credit adjustment. Future updates may be halted because of a drop in sales. Kaz may leave after being turned on by the community. Polyphony may be shur down even if the backlash is too much to recover from.
It's true that there will be people that won't give the game a chance because of the review bombed user scores, but thinking that Gran Turismo, a series which has sold over 85 million units across 5 different Playstations, will disappear just because of this singular fiasco doesn't make much sense. Most of the playerbase doesn't even interact with the more passionate GT users or doesn't read the patchnotes/follows social media, and probably has no idea about any of this and just wants to play the new game in the well-established franchise. In other words, the majority of users don't care about this meltdown and will just continue to play this game, or those who don't care about GT will skip it.

Kaz won't leave yet, Polyphony's developmental wizardry will still be needed in the future and Gran Turismo is Sony's cashcow franchise. It may seem as though there is no hope, but believe you me, this fire will subside and GT7 will truly become the best entry in the series to date.

They already had plans for more races with higher payouts.
Repeating this in multiple threads will not make it true.

Either quote the exact line from the communication of the 18th March stating it or stop posting a claim you know to be untrue and misleading.

The closest we got was:

"I want to make GT7 a game in which you can enjoy a variety of cars lots of different ways, and if possible would like to try to avoid a situation where a player must mechanically keep replaying certain events over and over again.

We will in time let you know the update plans for additional content, additional race events, and additional features that will constructively resolve this."

Which states that more events will be coming, but it says nothing about the payouts for them at all (either way) and also accompanied an update that nerfed a significant number of payouts, so the actions that followed the communication did nothing to indicate what you claim either.

You are reading into the communication what you want to hear, but the fact is, your claim of a 'plan' is not backed up, it's wishful thinking. The definitive proof of an increase came after the complaints, nearly a week later.

Last edited:
It's true that there will be people that won't give the game a chance because of the review bombed user scores, but thinking that Gran Turismo, a series which has sold over 85 million units across 5 different Playstations, will disappear just because of this singular fiasco doesn't make much sense. Most of the playerbase doesn't even interact with the more passionate GT users or doesn't read the patchnotes/follows social media, and probably has no idea about any of this and just wants to play the new game in the well-established franchise. In other words, the majority of users don't care about this meltdown and will just continue to play this game, or those who don't care about GT will skip it.

Kaz won't leave yet, Polyphony's developmental wizardry will still be needed in the future and Gran Turismo is Sony's cashcow franchise. It may seem as though there is no hope, but believe you me, this fire will subside and GT7 will truly become the best entry in the series to date.

For me GT7 is already easily the best GT. That's why I don't get the hate. Best track list ever, best car list ever, best lighting, physics, AI, weather and track condition simulation and the menus are lightning fast so you aren't waiting minutes between races. Oh and the feedback from the controller is astounding. And the sounds are incredible. So what if it takes a while to earn credits? Earning them has never been as fun or satisfying.

For me GT7 is already easily the best GT. That's why I don't get the hate. Best track list ever, best car list ever, best lighting, physics, AI, weather and track condition simulation and the menus are lightning fast so you aren't waiting minutes between races. Oh and the feedback from the controller is astounding. And the sounds are incredible. So what if it takes a while to earn credits? Earning them has never been as fun or satisfying.
As stated, many are passionate about this game. Sure, some people got carried away and got angrier than they should've and took things personally, but the rest, the majority, provided actual solid criticism. The franchise is full of fantastic entries, so seeing GT7 in this current state is jarring. It is a fun game, it has amazing qualities, but the controversial additions could've been avoided.

I love GT7, as well, it has the best gameplay I've seen in a racing game. And because I love the game, the imperfections stick out to me.

Repeating this in multiple threads will not make it true.

Either quote the exact line from the communication of the 18th March stating it or stop posting a claim you know to be untrue and misleading.

The closest we got was:

"I want to make GT7 a game in which you can enjoy a variety of cars lots of different ways, and if possible would like to try to avoid a situation where a player must mechanically keep replaying certain events over and over again.

We will in time let you know the update plans for additional content, additional race events, and additional features that will constructively resolve this."

Which states that more events will be coming, but it says nothing about the payouts for them at all (either way) and also accompanied an update that nerfed a significant number of payouts, so the actions that followed the communication did nothing to indicate what you claim either.

You are reading into the communication what you want to hear, but the fact is, your claim of a 'plan' is not backed up, it's wishful thinking. The definitive proof of an increase came after the complaints, nearly a week later.
They did mention increased payouts.

Here is a copy from the article.

Updates which will come into effect beginning of April:

• Increase rewards in the events in the latter half of the World Circuits by approximately 100% on average.
EDIT:
Sorry i now see that you said we did not have information earlier. Dont know if my post can be deletef

Last edited:
It might be for you, but for me it is a long way behind GT2-4 in every gameplay way. The credits available before the last nerf suggested designed for microtransactions in mind. Now it is worse and your last sentence is about as wrong as it gets.

Last edited:
Selling cars....
Selling your cars sound like a good thing but be careful for what you wish for. There are a few things I think about concerning this,
A) will selling your cars reduce your collector points?
B) after you get past Book 39 and the license / mission awards, there are no races that award you free cars.
C) will the resale value of your car be worth it?
D) will your car be available in the used car lot for someone else can buy? and will it have all the modifications you made or will it revert back to stock?

These are questions to ponder....

Selling cars....
Selling your cars sound like a good thing but be careful for what you wish for. There are a few things I think about concerning this,
B) after you get past Book 39 and the license / mission awards, there are no races that award you free cars.
D) will your car be available in the used car lot for someone else can buy? and will it have all the modifications you made or will it revert back to stock?

I belive that...
A) It won't
B) There probably will be more GT cafe Menus added in the future
C) Not quite.. probably 50% of the value
D) Not a chance...
E) I'm pretty sure that if your car is worth e.g. 100k cr. you will get 50k cr. no mather if it's stock or equipped with tuning parts worth of 200k cr. (so you should get back at least 150k cr. for it)
F) There's one more question. Will we be able to seel all the cars or only the ones that we have bought (like in GT Sport, unlike in previous GT titles)?

1648311549557.png

Selling cars....

There are a number of ways PD could screw up the selling of cars, but I think they won't

I'd wager your collector points won't be affected but the selling of the car will not give you much in return, say 70% depreciation right after you bought it. I couldn't see them doing it exactly like in GT5, which IMO will be more fair

D) is a really good idea IMO

Last edited:
Selling cars....

A. Doubt it.
B. That's only in the current build of the game, we know there's more events and menu books coming.
C. Resale value in past games has always been a fraction of the cost, typically 1/4 of the new sale cost. In GT4 a brand new Mazda Demio can be purchased for $14,500 and sold for $3,081, or only 21.2% of the original purchase price.
D. So Forza's Auction House?

Selling cars....

A) Probably not. But I have a suspicion they’re going to force you to keep one of every car you’ve acquired and only allow selling of dupes. And if it’s like Sport you’ll only be allowed to sell cars you’ve actually bought, not prize cars, which will have to be discarded. No reason for any of this ofc, just have a feeling that having been bounced into this (they obvs didn’t want us selling or they would’ve allowed it from the start) they’re going to implement it in the stupidest way poss.

B) If books 40-50 or whatever do appear they’ll presumably have prize cars attached, and people who’ve already purchased those models at BCentral won’t be happy as they’ll realise they’ve unnecessarily wasted a lot of credits. I don’t see how it’s going to work.

C) Yes, for me, because some cars I just don’t like or want in my garage (which is why what I said in A above matters to me) so I’d even accept token payment to sell them. The more the better, obvs, but just discarding anything feels such a waste. It’s a nasty mechanic in the context of this game’s economy. But being forced to keep a car I don’t want (for the sake of Kaz’s Pokédex) is even worse.

D) I think it’ll just be a ‘sell’ button, nothing to do with the UCD or whatever, and mods won’t affect prices, unfortunately.

B) If books 40-50 or whatever do appear they’ll presumably have prize cars attached, and people who’ve already purchased those models at BCentral won’t be happy as they’ll realise they’ve unnecessarily wasted a lot of credits. I don’t see how it’s going to work.
This comes across as a minor issue. GT sport had a similar issue of being rewarded too many duplicate cars in the daily roulette. I'd be happy if they changed it somehow but I don't see it considering GT Sport was happy to give you too many of the cars you already had.

Dude, they're giving you a million credits... humans...
And that's relevant how? I should be rewarded for achieving gold or bronze in mission challenge attempts no matter when they've been done. Otherwise you're actually being punished for being an active player. Plus adding the rewards shouldn't change their requirements so all of the results are right there on the servers.

Last edited:
Back