[Archive] Forza Horizon 5 Series 30: Lunar New Year

• Thread starter Famine
  • 94 comments
I ran a stock LFA for all 4 weekly Forzathon events and completed them all easily. For the 200 mph you need to be on the highway travelling west and as the highway drops down before the main festival exit you'll easily go past 200 mph.

The Trial was a tricky one this week. We lost the first race but sneaked wins in races 2 & 3 thankfully.
Got it traveling eastbound, on my side. All I had on it was anti-roll bars, and still made use of the downhills to get up to speed. You can get it both ways, just use the highway and you'll be good.

Can't say the same for the Trial though, Street Racing Trials were never the easiest things in the world, but this one took the cake for difficulty and for dickery apparently. I like to think I'm a gentleman--I only ever deliberately punted a guy off course once, just last week, because his divebombing into the second-to-last corner of the Horizon Festival circuit was a danger to the grid, but this one drifter was apparently so ticked by me wanting to race clean that he deliberately T-boned me off course and ****ed the team out of a win, JUST out of sheer pettiness.

Needless to say I'm not trying again 'til later, jeez.

Got it traveling eastbound, on my side. All I had on it was anti-roll bars, and still made use of the downhills to get up to speed. You can get it both ways, just use the highway and you'll be good.

Can't say the same for the Trial though, Street Racing Trials were never the easiest things in the world, but this one took the cake for difficulty and for dickery apparently. I like to think I'm a gentleman--I only ever deliberately punted a guy off course once, just last week, because his divebombing into the second-to-last corner of the Horizon Festival circuit was a danger to the grid, but this one drifter was apparently so ticked by me wanting to race clean that he deliberately T-boned me off course and ****ed the team out of a win, JUST out of sheer pettiness.

Needless to say I'm not trying again 'til later, jeez.
You really do find some special individuals in The Trial unfortunately 😥😥

I ran a stock LFA for all 4 weekly Forzathon events and completed them all easily. For the 200 mph you need to be on the highway travelling west and as the highway drops down before the main festival exit you'll easily go past 200 mph.

The Trial was a tricky one this week. We lost the first race but sneaked wins in races 2 & 3 thankfully.

DJS's Utopia Gardens this week is a tricky one, very narrow in places and extremely debris ridden. I just took my time and leisurely pottered around it spreading love in my Big Pink Mini.....

View attachment 1326757

On the subject of Eventlab this week, I really enjoyed the race track. The creator did a fantastic job building the track infrastructure. I'll be racing this a few times this week.
I just happened to be on the west side of the map when I started the LFA run...it was quite annoying to run literally miles of nearly flat highway and fail to reach the speed required. I got 200 on my way back going westbound, then modified the car since it seemed like this was going to be one of those weeks where the stock version just wouldn't cut it. Guess I jumped the gun there.
Did you run it stock? I have a S1 870 build that did the job easily. I agree that the Dystopia Gardens track is a bit clever for its own good (but it probably is most visually impressive eventlab creation I've seen so far), so I went with the smallest off-roader I have, the Ford Brocky.
No, after the annoying experience with the 200 mph speed run, I modified it to the top of S1 for the races. Apparently that was a mistake. Normally I have no real problems with this sort of thing, but not this time.

Yeah, Dystopia Gardens was gorgeous in a post apocalyptic sort of way. If the track was a little wider and wasn't packed with traps I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Having Distopia Gardens Eventlab one week after Utopia Gardens is funny. :D
It's not funny. I came here to say just how miserably awful that is as a track. It's a clever concept, the gameplay is horrible.

I'm quite partial to that O2 hatch, but only because the rear 3/4 view reminds me of the new Astra. Shame there's not really any powertrain to get excited about with those, as the chance of seeing one in Horizon are minimal.

VXR
It's not funny. I came here to say just how miserably awful that is as a track. It's a clever concept, the gameplay is horrible.
My initial reaction to this was:

Oh my god, this EventLab course is horrible!!!

These rock pillars, shallow roads and blind corners after blind corner can get really ****ing annoying quickly.

And to think Don Joewon Song of all people made this… what was he thinking?

Last edited:
As I may have alluded, I dislike a lot of DJS's tracks featured in EventLab playlists because they all feature the same three things:
  • Blind uphill jumps
  • Uphill square 180s
  • A lot of attention to the surroundings rather than the driving

Dystopia is clever but you need a narrow/low car. There's so many obstacles that require a needle-threading (including one of the three uphill square 180s) that it's just frustrating to drive.

I really must find some time to make a course I've got in mind.

Also with no official guide to changing rules (and vanishingly rare appearances of rule-changed tracks in the playlist disincentivising them) it's the biggest waste of the most potential of a UGC tool in gaming history.

IMO Dystopia is not meant for speed but for more technical driving and is not that bad after the 1st lap (and if you use the Warthog, you can imagine yourself touring Reach after the Covenant attacked :dopey:). The refinery EventLab track is fire though: The detail is incredible, and the racing is fun in a sort of Need for Speed way.

On the subject of Eventlab this week, I really enjoyed the race track. The creator did a fantastic job building the track infrastructure. I'll be racing this a few times this week.
Just played this and it really is a cracking track. It's better designed than most of the permanent races, I'll be sorry when it goes. It's got a completely different feel to Mexico for me.

What I really liked about the oil refinery eventlab was how well the creator used those large multi-lane road track props. Usually creators have been creating race tracks with repeatedly layering the small tarmac-like block, however the oil refinery on eventlab island didn't need any layering, it just fit together smoothly. Impressively built.

Just played this and it really is a cracking track. It's better designed than most of the permanent races, I'll be sorry when it goes. It's got a completely different feel to Mexico for me.
I've searched the track by name and added it to my favourite Eventlab creations so I can go back to it whenever I want.

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet again and say I quite liked Dystopia Gardens. I can totally understand why it's annoying for some/most, and there are a few bits which could've done with tidying up (such as the RSJ sticking up out of the ground when entering the sea), but it put me in mind if the scrambler/trial courses in Moto Racer 3.

On the other hand, the Refinery track was frigging awesome! It gave me real NFS/Midnight Club 3 vibes, helped in no small matter by the fact that my Cobra Mustang had base tyres on it meaning that I had to powerslide around every corner just to make it. I was amazed by the amount of elements used with no frame rate issues.

This week's playlist Eventlab: DJS Arcadia is stunningly built. The first one of his on Eventlab Island, but still massive elevation changes yet a completely smooth driving surface. And the scenery around the track is impressive.

P.S, Taking the Hoonitruck up the Volcan Sprint was hilarious :D

Last edited:
This week's playlist Eventlab: DJS Arcadia is stunningly built. The first one of his on Eventlab Island, but still massive elevation changes yet a completely smooth driving surface. And the scenery around the track is impressive.
He appears to be dominating (or should that be doninating?) EventLab at the moment. At this rate he could almost warrant a themed month of his own.

He appears to be dominating (or should that be doninating?) EventLab at the moment. At this rate he could almost warrant a themed month of his own.
He's got a Playground insignia next to his name; he's had it since the start of this Series. Did they hire him to make official routes for FH6 or something and this is their way of telling us?

Last edited:
He's got a Playground insignia next to his name; he's had it since the start of this Series. Did they hire him to make official routes for FH6 or something and this is their way of telling us?
Much as I disliked Dystopia's driving experience I wouldn't complain if this were the case.

It wouldn't be the first time the hired a community content creator on to make the next game. Raceboy77 back in the days of FM4 now works for T10 or did at one point, I don't know if he is still there.

We've all got lots more steep uphill square hairpins and blind uphill jumps to look forward to then.
I wouldn't, as I just said in the post you replied to. Let's hope all his content isn't based around the same or similar layouts.

Last edited:
I wouldn't, as I just said in the post you replied to. Let's hope all his content isn't based around the same or similar layouts.
Virtually every DJS track that's been in the playlist to date has featured both.

AspaceRspaceCspaceAspaceDspaceIspaceA this week is the only one I recall without the squarepins. They're all very pretty tracks, but these features almost appear to be a signature.

Virtually every DJS track that's been in the playlist to date has featured both.

AspaceRspaceCspaceAspaceDspaceIspaceA this week is the only one I recall without the squarepins. They're all very pretty tracks, but these features almost appear to be a signature.
I guess we'll have to see if he's hit a wall in his development or whether switching to the open layout of EventLab Island will allow him to turn the corner, then.

He clearly builds tracks with a skate boarding / gymkhana goal. One track like that is fine, but more than that goes overboard. Personally I was praising the style and attention to detail of the map and scenery, rather than the track layout itself.

If he does become a map designer for PG, they will definitely make sure those 180 degree skateboarding pike / drift turns are not brought into the game proper, I'm sure.

He clearly builds tracks with a skate boarding / gymkhana goal. One track like that is fine, but more than that goes overboard. Personally I was praising the style and attention to detail of the map and scenery, rather than the track layout itself.

If he does become a map designer for PG, they will definitely make sure those 180 degree skateboarding pike / drift turns are not brought into the game proper, I'm sure.
I mean, that is the mood of Horizon proper, no? I could honestly see a central Festival area in the future featuring a Gymkhana arena in place of the usual circuit--or at least, an Evolving World set piece in the Stadium that uses Gymkhana as its theme. This Dragon Drift area we have now is a pretty close equivalent sure but it isn't a true Gymkhana.

I mean, that is the mood of Horizon proper, no? I could honestly see a central Festival area in the future featuring a Gymkhana arena in place of the usual circuit--or at least, an Evolving World set piece in the Stadium that uses Gymkhana as its theme. This Dragon Drift area we have now is a pretty close equivalent sure but it isn't a true Gymkhana.
If they get whoever designed those mini gymkhanas featured at the end of the treasure hunts a few months ago involved, perhaps it wouldn't be a bad thing. They were a lot of fun.

Back